Princess Has The Worst Customer Service

Shawn5

I've cruised and traveled the world extensively and have never experienced a worse customer service department. After over an hour on the phone with them (over half of this time on hold), I could still not get a resolution to a relatively simple issue: a refund for charges related to upcoming specialty dining. The first three customer service reps admitted to the mistake (a glitch in their system), but none of them could issue the refund to my CC. They had to keep "escalating" the issue up the ladder to another person (a "Navigator", an "Ocean Navigator"). They all came across as sincere and wanting to help, but lacked the authority to issue the refund. Amazing. The fourth, and last, person I spoke with promised a call back in 1-3 days with a resolution. I doubt I'll get the call back. I'm guessing other cruise lines don't have any better customer service departments. They must have so much business they just don't care.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Sounds like you talked to MedallionApp support from the titles you stated.  Those agents aren't given access to billing.  Maybe try calling Princess' booking line and see if they can't help?  It does take a few days for the refund to finally show up.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, and I know it's not much, but I was told in no uncertain terms by a telephone rep that the people who respond to emails sent to the customer service department have waaaay more authority and ability to resolve issues than the telephone reps do.  (The emphasis on the "waaaay" was hers, not mine.)  I emailed the address she gave me and the issue that I was struggling with for over a month was resolved three days later.  I have also heard that the  people who staff the chat function are also better than the people who staff the phones.

• Like 6

If I am understanding the OP's issue, I also had an issue about a month or so ago regarding being charged for speciality dining. We are booked in a suite and the 1st night we are supposed to get a free speciality dining credit. When I went to book through the app, it showed the credit, but once I reserved the time we wanted, the credit was gone and charged my credit card. 

I called and put the option for dining problems. The person I talked to was definitely not in the states and claimed to have no knowledge that suite guests get a comp speciality dining credit on the first night. I asked to speak to a supervisor and the the supervisor told me that the department I need to talk to was closed and that I needed to call back. All this happened on Friday and by Monday my credit card was credited the money, but my reservation was also canceled. 

• Like 1

This is the very reason we are not booking our first night dinner before we go. I know we have 3 free dinners in special dinning rooms but if we book all of them now it will be well over $300 and I really don't want to have to argue about it on the cruise. Is there any way to book these dinners ahead of time without paying for them. There are 4 of us, so that makes a lot of difference for us.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

Why? It very well could have been the worst they have ever experienced. I know that I have certainly seen a decline in Princess customer service in the last two years.

I agree with you.  The OP is right about the fact that a simple issue should not be so difficult to resolve.  I think many of us are just a bit beaten down with the way things work at PCL and mostly resigned to the fact we have to sometimes chase after them repeatedly to get an answer or a resolution.

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Princess needs to realize that this is a HUGE problem.

From things like have been mentioned here, to AWOL cruise planners, etc.. etc.. etc...

I couldn't agree more.  Penny wise and pound foolish.  Everyone should use their post-cruise surveys to use the space provided for every question to say the same thing over and over, irrespective of what the topic of the question is. And they should pound on the customer service and the downward spiral at the Crown Grill.  "How was your check-in experience?"  Answer: "The customer service provided by 1-800-Princess is atrocious and the Crown Grill is so bad that I will never pay to eat there again until things improve markedly."  Soon, they will get the message.

47 minutes ago, CapnCrews said:

This whole thread might have been less of an eye roller without the gratuitous traveler’s history and unnecessary superlatives like “The Worst”.  

At first my eyes rolled when I say that this poster joined in 2000 and has 26 posts.  I'm not a big fan of sponges.  Contribute if you have a lifetime of worldwide travel experience!.  But then I read the content she posted and she isn't wrong.  (Well, I don't have a broad enough frame of reference to agree that PCL is "the worst."  But it certainly ain't great, and ain't what it use do be.  So I am cutting her a big break.)

Shawn: Do come back often and share your experiences!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Shawn5 said:

I've cruised and traveled the world extensively and have never experienced a worse customer service department. After over an hour on the phone with them (over half of this time on hold), I could still not get a resolution to a relatively simple issue: a refund for charges related to upcoming specialty dining. The first three customer service reps admitted to the mistake (a glitch in their system), but none of them could issue the refund to my CC. They had to keep "escalating" the issue up the ladder to another person (a "Navigator", an "Ocean Navigator"). They all came across as sincere and wanting to help, but lacked the authority to issue the refund. Amazing. The fourth, and last, person I spoke with promised a call back in 1-3 days with a resolution. I doubt I'll get the call back. I'm guessing other cruise lines don't have any better customer service departments. They must have so much business they just don't care.

i agree, their customer service personnel do not know how to handle issues.  Makes them useless.

• Like 3

I am not discounting OP's experience.  But as many have said, she (photo) is an experienced cruiser and been on CC since 2000.  

There have been many thread about this.  

I (usually) have a suite complimentary dinner the first night.  As others have been able to book a dinner at a specialty dinner pre-cruise, I have never been able to do so.  I just do it when I get onboard.

I am not clear on why she was asking for a refund?

Glitch that booked and charged a dinner to her cc without her authorization?

Booked a complimentary dinner but was charged?

Booked but changed her mind?

3 hours ago, Shawn5 said:

issue: a refund for charges related to upcoming specialty dining. The first three customer service reps admitted to the mistake (a glitch in their system), but none of them could issue the refund to my CC

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CapnCrews said:

This whole thread might have been less of an eye roller without the gratuitous traveler’s history and unnecessary superlatives like “The Worst”.  

Is that sort of response really necessary or in any way helpful?
That would be a big “NO”. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, qoap24 said:

If I am understanding the OP's issue, I also had an issue about a month or so ago regarding being charged for speciality dining. We are booked in a suite and the 1st night we are supposed to get a free speciality dining credit. When I went to book through the app, it showed the credit, but once I reserved the time we wanted, the credit was gone and charged my credit card. 

I called and put the option for dining problems. The person I talked to was definitely not in the states and claimed to have no knowledge that suite guests get a comp speciality dining credit on the first night. I asked to speak to a supervisor and the the supervisor told me that the department I need to talk to was closed and that I needed to call back. All this happened on Friday and by Monday my credit card was credited the money, but my reservation was also canceled. 

Easiest way is to leave the reservation and charge  in place then get it resolved with customer service on board, Get the refund in the form of refundable OBC.

If it helps - we believe you. This should not be difficult to resolve. I have also had issues speaking with multiple people and not getting my issues resolved.

Hopefully once you are on your cruise, service will be better.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Shawn5 said:

Not sure about the worst. I would say that for a big company where service is supposed to be forefront, their customer service and communications is poor. Rate 4 out 10.

• Like 2

I tried to book my complimentary speciality dining for an upcoming cruise, and was told I would not be charged over the phone. I of course was charged. I was passed from pillar to post until somebody informed me I would get a refund within 15 days. This of course has not happened. I’ll just have to get the refund onboard but if the dining is part of the premier package, it should be bookable without having to go through this. I am going to book the second night onboard but I presume there will be little choice if any still left. This is on Caribbean princess.

We have two free specialty dinners with Premier. I booked on the app and was charged. I contacted my PCP and she said that I will be “automatically” refunded (she even said to my cc, not OBC) once I am on board.  I am skeptical and expect to deal with it on the ship.  Not ideal but I like having the days and times I want reserved in the meantime.  

this is both a customer service problem and a technology problem. 

Due to the Pandemic and life events, I have been away from Princess and cruising since 2019.  Called Princess the other day to book a 2024 Greenland cruise.  The rep I booked with was nice, but hard to understand and there was a lot of noise in the background that remained even after I mentioned it.  I did all the work, and she did not offer me any of the packages or offer advice of any kind.  I decided to transfer the booking to an agent so called back and the second rep was also hard to understand (though no background voices and noise) and spoke so fast that I could not keep up.  Anyway, the booking is now with a travel agent.

• Like 5

Thank goodness for our Princess CVP.  She handles everything for us so we never have to worry about their customer service issues and we don’t have to sit on hold or get passed from one agent to another.  Takes her less than 24 hours and it’s done.  If you can find a really good CVP, they’re worth their weight in gold!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

If only we could talk about that on this board.  🤐  We are allowed to vent endlessly about bad customer service, but when there is a workaround by trying to connect with GOOD customer service, those discussions get shut down and posts removed.  

Spot on, Jimmy

• Like 2

I am assuming that you are referring in this topic to Princess customer service in the US.

To give some balance to this I have found that Princess customer service in the UK to be excellent and far better than some other Carnival brands.

When the Premier Beverage Package was introduced with 2 complimentary specialty dinners, I knew there were going to be issues!

Pre-pandemic (Crown Grill was an excellent dining experience), it was already difficult to get reservations onboard….at a time you preferred.

Now add 2 (4 as a couple) more patrons (one table/booth) to the mix x however many purchased the package) and you have a logistical nightmare.  Size of restaurant remains the same.  

Throw into the mix the inability of IT to pre-reserve times (charge/no charge) and Princess has created a monster.

Again, looks good on paper.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am not clear on why she was asking for a refund?

We had purchased the "Premier Package" which includes two specialty dinners per guest, but they still erroneously charged our CC for the dinner reservations. Because of the package, we doubted that we'd have many shipboard charges, if any, so a refund to our card was warranted in lieu of a shipboard credit.

• Like 4