Dining in Blu

KandMB

Just returned from our second Celebrity cruise, sailing on Infinity, first time in Aqua. We were very disappointed dining in Blu with chaotic service and a long wait time for a table every night. We found it strange that we couldn’t make a reservation and yet some people appeared to have the same table each night and walked straight in.  Some nights it was up to an hour with a pager and we gave up and went to the buffet. Quite honestly it has put us off booking Aqua again and just wondered if this is usual or not? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KandMB said:

Just returned from our second Celebrity cruise, sailing on Infinity, first time in Aqua. We were very disappointed dining in Blu with chaotic service and a long wait time for a table every night. We found it strange that we couldn’t make a reservation and yet some people appeared to have the same table each night and walked straight in.  Some nights it was up to an hour with a pager and we gave up and went to the buffet. Quite honestly it has put us off booking Aqua again and just wondered if this is usual or not? 

Sorry to hear your experience in Blu. We always cruise in Aqua just for Blu. Never had a problem with wait time. We are Elite Plus on the Equinox in September and hopefully don’t have a problem. We haven’t been on Celebrity in 4 yrs. We are right now on Viking Ocean transatlantic and have been sailing Viking 4 times. If our experience on X is negative in September it will be our last, as I have read they have made many changes. 

Per chance did you alter your arrival times to eat or do you have a fixed time you want to eat???

Sorry about your experience, for sure that can be off putting on Blu or any other restaurant on-board...

bon appetit and bon voyage

I’m shocked to be honest with you. We sail in AQ frequently and have never had a wait time of more than 10 minutes. We were just on the silhouette on a sold out ship and never waited. I’m sorry you experienced that. I would have been frustrated too since Blu is why you pay for AQ. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KandMB said:

That has been our experience also.

Another thing about Blu is that we didn't care for most  of the Menu items and found out we could order from the Main dining room menu so that's what we did most nights.

Now we just book a basic balcony cabin and spend the money we save on other things.

On the M-Class ships there simply aren't enough tables and generally the peak time is 630-730.  Some ships list their opening time for dinner at 530pm and some 6pm, when we were on the Millie last Oct, they opened at 530pm yet would open the doors and seat people right at 5pm although there wasn't a wait staff until opening time/530pm.  If you wanted to eat near with a table by the window you basically had to show up at 445pm.

• Like 3

We've dined in Blu on the Constellation (Dec 2021) and the Summit (Aug 2022) without issues. However, we did have a strategy that did come in very handy. We usually showed up about 5-10 minutes before Blu opened, as my DW needs to eat early. Then we figured out which was the most undesirable table for 2 (as we are antisocial). We then ask the Blu host if we could sit there every night if we showed up when Blu first opened. Never had an issue since the bad table was usually on the 3rd row close to the back. The Blu host, by default, usually fills the window row first, then the 2nd row next to those, and then finally the 3rd row of 2-tops where our "chosen" table was. This way our request really didn't impact anyone IF we showed up when they opened, even if there were 10-20 people also waiting. 

But, if you show up anytime between 6 - 8 pm, all bets are off, as many guests are either pairing their dining times to the evening show times, which are usually at 7 and 9 pm, and/or stopping at a lounge to have a drink or two before dinner.

I know it sounds a little annoying to have to do that. But since we cruise quite a bit, it's just become all part of the "game" for us. We also try to show up 20-30 minutes before the evening show to find those out-of-the-way seats where no one wants to sit. Something about cruising during the pandemic that has us a little twitchy sitting next to folks we don't know as we are usually on a B2B cruise where we had to test on each transition day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We usually do not have any such experiences. We are pleased with Blu.   However, on Solstice, they reserved a group of tables for 10 cruisers which started from the windows.  These 5 tables were empty until around 6:45 pm when the individuals  began to show.  Most nights, there were about 6 out of the 10 dining there.    We were told they were "reserved".  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keesar said:

We usually do not have any such experiences. We are pleased with Blu.   However, on Solstice, they reserved a group of tables for 10 cruisers which started from the windows.  These 5 tables were empty until around 6:45 pm when the individuals  began to show.  Most nights, there were about 6 out of the 10 dining there.    We were told they were "reserved".  

That’s was our experience too, yet we were told there were no reservations allowed! 

We have only cruised in Aqua Spa cabins on Constellation, reflection, Equinox and Millenium.  Our absolutely most favorite head waiter from the Constellation moved to the Infinity.  Mar  was amazing with service, knowledge and had a great sense of humor.   If you were able to dine in his area, I would hope your experience would be wonderful like ours wasy.  I'm sorry to hear about the long wait time you experienced.  Maybe we were lucky to not wait at all.   

3 hours ago, KandMB said:

That’s was our experience too, yet we were told there were no reservations allowed! 

I had spoken with the maitre d'  and mentioned that this group should have been placed in the rear of the restaurant rather than having a prime dining location reserved, especially when only 6 ut of the 10 were there at the reservation time.  Although there were no reservations, he said it was being made available for this group.  I mentioned his name in my review.  And guess what, he was in charge of Blu on our next cruise on a different ship!  He remembered me...

we normally do Aqua or Retreat as MDR does not work for me.     I have a severe food allergy and need to be seated. away from people as much as possible.  Both dining venues will find a table to accommodate me as best as they can.  This has meant sometimes they have selected a table that works and will try and hold it.  We do our very best to be there for  the time they are expecting us.    Sometimes the people sitting where we would be seated, stay and linger.  We don’t care.  we wait.   (That happened on our January cruise.  The hostess and Maitre d spoke with us so we stood back so others could go in.   There were some folks that hadnt seen us actually be there before them and made comments)

My apologies to anyone that has seen us go in ahead of them.  Reservations are not done.  Perhaps what you saw was an extenuating circumstance like mine.    

And before trolls jump all over me, I carry an EPI pen. I do not ask that anyone around me not be served what I am allergic to.  And no. I m not staying home.  Celebrity has been fabulous in accommodating my allergy as they have with others.     

• Like 5

7 hours ago, D. B. said:

That has been our experience also.

Another thing about Blu is that we didn't care for most  of the Menu items and found out we could order from the Main dining room menu so that's what we did most nights.

Now we just book a basic balcony cabin and spend the money we save on other things.

On Silhouette at the end of January we were very disappointed with Blu. Although there were plenty of empty tables at around 8 pm we were always given a pager and told to wait, sometimes 20 or 30 minutes. It seemed more of a problem having the wait staff than finding a table. Indeed once we were seated it was always a 15 to 20 minute wait before anyone took our order or even offered a drink. We have used Aqua class many times and never had this problem. Unfortunately we weren’t alone as we spoke to several other couples, all with the same opinion. With regards to the menu, we also found it to be much reduced and some poor dishes, ( anyone like octopus? ).

For the first time in 12 years cruising Celebrity ( Elite Plus ) we didn’t book another cruise onboard. Quite sad, but things need to improve. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lovescarborough said:

On Silhouette at the end of January we were very disappointed with Blu. Although there were plenty of empty tables at around 8 pm we were always given a pager and told to wait, sometimes 20 or 30 minutes. It seemed more of a problem having the wait staff than finding a table. Indeed once we were seated it was always a 15 to 20 minute wait before anyone took our order or even offered a drink. We have used Aqua class many times and never had this problem. Unfortunately we weren’t alone as we spoke to several other couples, all with the same opinion. With regards to the menu, we also found it to be much reduced and some poor dishes, ( anyone like octopus? ).

For the first time in 12 years cruising Celebrity ( Elite Plus ) we didn’t book another cruise onboard. Quite sad, but things need to improve. 

I love octopus and order it whenever I can in Blu!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We've dined in Blu on the Constellation (Dec 2021) and the Summit (Aug 2022) without issues. However, we did have a strategy that did come in very handy. We usually showed up about 5-10 minutes before Blu opened, as my DW needs to eat early. Then we figured out which was the most undesirable table for 2 (as we are antisocial). We then ask the Blu host if we could sit there every night if we showed up when Blu first opened. Never had an issue since the bad table was usually on the 3rd row close to the back. The Blu host, by default, usually fills the window row first, then the 2nd row next to those, and then finally the 3rd row of 2-tops where our "chosen" table was. This way our request really didn't impact anyone IF we showed up when they opened, even if there were 10-20 people also waiting. 

But, if you show up anytime between 6 - 8 pm, all bets are off, as many guests are either pairing their dining times to the evening show times, which are usually at 7 and 9 pm, and/or stopping at a lounge to have a drink or two before dinner.

I know it sounds a little annoying to have to do that. But since we cruise quite a bit, it's just become all part of the "game" for us. We also try to show up 20-30 minutes before the evening show to find those out-of-the-way seats where no one wants to sit. Something about cruising during the pandemic that has us a little twitchy sitting next to folks we don't know as we are usually on a B2B cruise where we had to test on each transition day.

I’ll use that strategy too. Thanks 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lovescarborough said:

Wow we had the total opposite experience on the Silhouette in February. Seated right away, food and service were amazing! So sorry you had this experience. 

We never had a problem on M Class between 6:30 and 7.  Between 7 and 7:30, we may have taken the pager for 15 to 20 minutes.  We're on the Millennium next April in Japan and hoping there aren't any waits like OP had.  

I think the problem is the class of ship.  M class Blu was carved out of the MDR, as was Luminae.  S class Blu was built into the design and has far more space.  We've sailed AQ ten times (once and ONLY once on E class).  We've never had a horrible wait time.  Hope you have a better experience if you give it another shot on a larger ship.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, marieps said:

I think the problem is the class of ship.  M class Blu was carved out of the MDR, as was Luminae.  S class Blu was built into the design and has far more space.  We've sailed AQ ten times (once and ONLY once on E class).  We've never had a horrible wait time.  Hope you have a better experience if you give it another shot on a larger ship.

The other problem in M Class is that people who book Aqua only other choices are Sushi on 5 and steakhouse.  On other classes, Aqua class more likely to take a couple of nights off with so many other choices.  The main reason we book Aqua on M is lack of choices beyond the MDR / banquet dining.

• Like 2

We've sailed in AQ about 8 times and have only had an issues when everyone seems to show up at the same time such as on TransAtlantics or when the ship has left a port a bit later. Once we handed back the beeper and went to OVC, and that was the last time that happened. The hostess remembered ...

On our last cruise, Blu seemed more chaotic. Bigger issue for us - the host/hostess didn't seem to make any effort to remember anyone, which is not how it used to be. Some hosts/hostesses do a better job than others. Some are friendlier and seem to remember better who had a window seat and who did not. Normally (and ideally), they do a good job of staggering seating so you wind up in the same server's section, but the same people don't get the window seats all the time. 

Last cruise there were larger groups at the edge of the windows - so tables pulled together at the banquets. Otherwise, all 2-tops. Large groups are seated towards the back. I don't see those tables as being 'reserved' per se, but they're tables for big groups so are not going to be broken up, nor will they sit 4 at a table for 8 if they know that there are groups of 8 expected. 

On 3/19/2023 at 8:55 AM, KandMB said:

was on 2 nights of my Equinox sailing.  30 minutes.  We weren't too impressed.

On 3/19/2023 at 1:24 PM, KandMB said:

Years ago (1st time we booked Aqua and travelling with my cousin and his wife) every eveing we were seated at the same table for 4 for the enire 11 nights sailing. This was our first experience with Select Dining and were all very happy with the how well it worked 

I found out when the 4 of us were at the Rome airport waiting for our flight home, that my Cousin (who is more like a Brother), told the Maitre'd along with a very generous tip  "when my cousin is happy, I'm happy"!! 😍