"Just" a Balcony. Will I Feel Like a Second Class Citizen?

land64shark

11 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I have no interest in sailing on RCL even in high end suites, too many people on their ships and 4000-6000 passengers means way too many kids. Might try Yacht club someday if the itinerary was right but I have read so many terrible reviews about food in their YC. We did the NCL Haven once and thought it was great until we did our first Retreat with Celebrity, would never sail in the Haven again, also too many people and huge ships.

RCCL has some well maintained, smaller ships.  We enjoy the Radiance class, like Brilliance.  About the size of M-Class ships.  Only 1/3 the number of passengers vs. Oasis class.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

RCCL has some well maintained, smaller ships.  We enjoy the Radiance class, like Brilliance.  About the size of M-Class ships.  Only 1/3 the number of passengers vs. Oasis class.

We looked at one of the smaller ships that sails out of Galveston for this summer with our granddaughter, but the older smaller ships do not have suites amenities that compare to what we are getting on the Equinox Sky Suite from FLL in June.

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We looked at one of the smaller ships that sails out of Galveston for this summer with our granddaughter, but the older smaller ships do not have suites amenities that compare to what we are getting on the Equinox Sky Suite from FLL in June.

There is no comparison at the lowest level suite.  RCCL Jr Suite has no benefits except a larger cabin.  Sky suite is a much better deal overall.

• Like 3

I always book a balcony and feel absolutely fine about not having access to the fancier parts of the ship, regardless of which cruise line I'm on. I don't think about it, the cruise line doesn't make it obvious that they're there, you have sooo much to do that it's not an issue. I was on Norwegian in December and the comedian at the Improv made jokes about the Haven (their version of the Retreat) and how they were too fancy to come out to the regular part of the ship. The Haven guests were there and laughed along with everyone else. I hadn't thought about them until then. 

You'll have an amazing experience, no matter which cabin you're in, if you decide you're going to enjoy it beforehand. That advice comes directly from my beloved aunt, who passed away in 2019. She and my uncle were a military family and she told me when I was 21 years old and about to move to Arizona that I simply needed to tell myself that I was going to love it and then I would. She said that was what she told herself before every move they made in the military. That she was going to love their new home and new city, and discover everything amazing about it. And then she did. It's all about the mindset you have going into a new place and situation that creates a positive experience. Worry begets worry. 

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding in Santorini!!!!

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, swjumbo said:

Totally disagree. 
There certainly is a first and second class on nearly all large cruise ships nowadays.

How does the Retreat, Yacht Club, etc differ from what the liners used to have many years ago?

Separate areas depending on how much you pay.

Times haven’t changed that much!

I’ve been lucky enough to experience most classes on Celebrity and Queens Grill on Cunard and to be perfectly honest it wasn’t really worth the extra money. 

I heard a rumor that due to low staffing levels, non suite passengers will have to take turns delivering room service to suites.  🥸

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Simple answer…..no. We are up to nearly 30 cruises and always

book balcony cabins and never suites. We are entirely happy doing

so. My only advice is that you do enough research to make sure

that the facilities which are available for those in balcony cabins

are what you want. For example, if you enjoy, or are likely to enjoy,

a forward facing lounge don’t book a cruise on any of Celebrity’s

Edge Class ships.

• Like 1

If this ridiculous comment is indeed serious, and the primary concern for the OP, then whatever else is happening on this cruise is of no importance. Too much worrying about whether or not one will be accepted into the neighborhood. Perhaps one should reconsider. Wow!!

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

59 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

If this ridiculous comment is indeed serious, and the primary concern for the OP, then whatever else is happening on this cruise is of no importance. Too much worrying about whether or not one will be accepted into the neighborhood. Perhaps one should reconsider. Wow!!

I see you book suites…..  🥸

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Translation: Getting married on a cruise vacation is a beautiful thing. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I remember posts from you that were humorous. Grumpy is ill-suited.

• Like 3

On 3/26/2023 at 8:09 AM, swjumbo said:

How does the Retreat, Yacht Club, etc differ from what the liners used to have many years ago?

Simple. Because, for the most part, those in suite class - while having reserved access to the Retreat, etc. - are still free to intermingle with anyone else on the ship in public areas. Back in the day, that didn't happen - at least from everything I've read. "Jack" would have never come in contact with "Rose" on the Titanic. 

I have no idea what the "Yacht Club" is that you're referring to. If on some lines people are TRULY kept separate from each other ala "class" distinctions as such, let me know what ships those are since I'll be sure to avoid them, as well as any where I have to where tux and bowtie. No interest whatsoever. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Currently on the Beyond in a suite.  =I am also Elite plus and don’t expect and special treatment or priority.  There are 3100 passengers and 485 are elite plus or above.   Everyone gets treated the same except for the obnoxious that think they are special. 

There are many BTs and other staff members that I  know from other cruises.   We talk about stuff and always get the same answer, everyone is treated the same and they don’t care or notice what category you are in and that is the way I would expect it as we very rarely sail in a suite.  

Captain Kate left the ship and is on leave.  She plans on coming back as a passenger.  The crew said she is a passenger like the everyone else no special treatment.  🤷‍♂️

PS.  Those in a suite and elite or above get  priority on the elevators and in the buffet.     NOT.   😱🙄

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 2

To reply to the OP, regardless of the class you’ll be treated very well indeed by the crew.

In my experience there are entitled elderly and arrogant younger travellers but they are the minority.

One good thing is that the cruise companies are getting wise to them. 
On my last cruise a friend of a friend was the captain. He had a drunken yob confined to his cabin and threw him off at the next port.

9 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

To reply to the OP, regardless of the class you’ll be treated very well indeed by the crew.

In my experience there are entitled elderly and arrogant younger travellers but they are the minority.

One good thing is that the cruise companies are getting wise to them. 
On my last cruise a friend of a friend was the captain. He had a drunken yob confined to his cabin and threw him off at the next port.

“Yob” ?

2 hours ago, miched said:

Captain Kate left the ship and is on leave.  She plans on coming back as a passenger.  The crew said she is a passenger like the everyone else no special treatment.  🤷‍♂️

Do you actually believe that?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We've taken 5 cruises on X.  4 were in Aqua, 1 was in a suite( great price due to cancellations in 2020/2021.  We didn't have a retreat sun deck since we were on Reflection last September.  We recently booked an OV room for Eclipse in October.  It was super inexpensive and since we live in LA, we can drive to the port.  I have to admit, it will be strange not to eat in Aqua, although a lot of the meals we ate on previous cruises were in OV café because of excursions.   I don't think we'll feel out of place.  

On 3/22/2023 at 2:13 PM, land64shark said:

I am new to Celebrity. We are on Infinity in the Mediterranean and have a balcony cabin booked. I will admit that I didn't do much research beforehand as I was primarily interested in itinerary (I am getting married in Santorini on this cruise) and I was a bit surprised at the amount of amenities/areas that I cannot partake in. I can't help but notice that the vast majority of posters on here do not book the general population cabins. Will it feel like half of the ship is off limits to me?

We sailed on Solstice just before the pandemic in a veranda room. Best cruise ever. Nothing felt second class. Celebrity included a generous amount of OBC and drinks/gratuities/Wi-Fi so it was a first class experience all around. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Funny you say that because I felt that way on my first Celebrity cruise. I didn’t on my second one, though, except that the food ranges from mediocre to good for regular passengers, whereas suite pax rave about their food.

And Suites passengers pay a small fortune for the suites only dining options.