Crystal Announces Launch of Exceptional Initiative Guests who Lost Money Under Crystal Cruises’ Former Ownership Can Apply

Keith1010

58 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

I'm a finance guy. So, its the timing that matters.

NC could have started with friendly prices. At this stage, NC is a speculative proposition . Instead, they started with a high list price. Naturally, they're not going to poach pax from the other luxury lines.  

So, they offer a discount (over multiple trips) to old OC pax with a grudge. This is a sign of weakness. So, my instincts tell me to wait for more meaningful discounts. Are they going to sail with half occupancy??

Typically, its the impulsive people who will have regrets.

I was just speaking to a friend about pricing this morning and previously started a thread on this very subject a few weeks ago.

If you are solo prices are higher. How much depends on what room you select and like most things is voyage specific.

For two people in the party then the answer varies. I have found cruises that the per diem is less for 2023 and 2024 then I paid a few years ago or at or very little higher than what it was.  

Like most things the devil is in the details and generalities are just wrong.

I don't think what they did was a sign of strength nor weakness but an attempt to do something positive. Even if someone has one cruise booked they will get 20% towards that one and that certainly was unexpected at this stage.

Keith

• Like 3

I don't think discounting fares is a good idea.

The fares are the fares

Those who want to pay those fares will do so.

Discounting screams desperation and is NEVER a good idea for a luxury product.

I truly believe their biggest problem is the huge number of people who got burned and were not planning to book Crystal.  They have lost a huge part of Crystal's loyal following which they might have been counting on -- thus the incentive.  Whether the incentive will bring back a significant chunk of that group is an open question.  They want us on 5 cruises in 3 years!!!  One way to fill the ships.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

Well, we had taken six cruises on OC in 31/2 years -- including the pandemic shutdown -- as well as 11 cruises on other lines, so 5 in 3 years on NC doesn't sound like an impossibility.

For some it isn't impossible.  A lot depends on how much advance planning you have done,

We take very long cruises (5 or 6 a year) and are booked through 2025

I don't think we could squeeze in 5 cruises that appealed to us in addition.

8 minutes ago, bitob said:

For some it isn't impossible.  A lot depends on how much advance planning you have done,

Agree since we have 6 cruises already booked.   Great itineraries and not going to cancel.

Regarding TA sales.  One large travel GROUP -- who my TA' company is a member has publicly stated that they are advising their members to have a wait and see attitude about NC (no deals or encouragement to book).  They used to be the largest OC seller.

I was looking at one NC voyage and asked my TA who is one of the larger internet agencies if they had many NC bookings.  The answer was -- only one.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

Well, we had taken six cruises on OC in 31/2 years -- including the pandemic shutdown -- as well as 11 cruises on other lines, so 5 in 3 years on NC doesn't sound like an impossibility.

We cruise at least three times per year plus land experiences like hiking in Switzerland or exploring Puglia. 5 cruises in 3 years is not impossible if the price is right. We are not attached to any ship and have several options. Probably most of us behave like that and have several options.

Ivi

The NC has so so trips as they were late booking ports that are very busy. They have old ships that are being rebuilt somewhat but nobody has been on. They have a whole new ship and shore side staff that has never worked together under the new company. They have a whole group of suppliers and shore trip providers that were stiffed by a cruise line with the same name and management. They have a large group of TA and customers who were stiffed by a line with the same name and management. For me a wait and see seems prudent while I believe it's hit or miss if the NC will succeed. Interest rates are going up, inflation is stubborn, world upheaval is on the rise, people are questioning the global banking system. Who is really ready to put big dollars down on an unknown?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bitob said:

😁😁😁

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

We cruise at least three times per year plus land experiences like hiking in Switzerland or exploring Puglia. 5 cruises in 3 years is not impossible if the price is right. We are not attached to any ship and have several options. Probably most of us behave like that and have several options.

Ivi

Yes,that's the right approach for many of us.

4 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

NC's next step would be to grant generous status matching (with matching discounts) for new customers. I'm Diamond with MSC.

Why would a luxury line offer you matching status on a mass market line like MSC?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ctjon said:

So you're saying the list price isn't the real price.  I hated that when the sites would list a price but then the "you pay" price.  Horrible way to treat luxury travelers.  Give me only 1 price the real price.  If I've earned a special discount then that is fine but not a discount for everyone.

Price management is an important biz tool. It allows a biz to adjust to real world situations. For example, lower its prices as industry prices fall. Why allow a ship to sail half full?

A lower price improves the value proposition to the customer. Surely a good thing? NC can use price cuts, discounts and gifts.

On the other hand, NC can raise prices as the ship fills up. Providing incentive for pax to book early.

I don't have a problem paying NC's current list prices. That said, I'd like to ensure that I receive adequate value at a competitive price.

4 minutes ago, AtA said:

Why would a luxury line offer you matching status on a mass market line like MSC?

MSC has the Yacht Club (ship within a ship), and now the Explora. There's Viking, Ponant, Seabourne etc. That's a lot of $$$$ biz.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hypercafe said:

The NC has so so trips as they were late booking ports that are very busy. They have old ships that are being rebuilt somewhat but nobody has been on. They have a whole new ship and shore side staff that has never worked together under the new company. They have a whole group of suppliers and shore trip providers that were stiffed by a cruise line with the same name and management. They have a large group of TA and customers who were stiffed by a line with the same name and management. For me a wait and see seems prudent while I believe it's hit or miss if the NC will succeed. Interest rates are going up, inflation is stubborn, world upheaval is on the rise, people are questioning the global banking system. Who is really ready to put big dollars down on an unknown?

Wow, could you be any more negative?

• Like 5

On 3/24/2023 at 5:36 PM, travelberlin said:

Oh, Oh, Oh… I am reading very disturbing posts on the social media that covers Crystal bankruptcy. Some body mentions that if we apply for this NC initiative we will loose our right to a monetary refund from the Assignees. Can someone clarify if this is the case. I do not recall having seeing this in the terms and conditions of NC offer.

Ivi

This question is answered in the FAQs on the web page.  I does not in short.

Will the credits I receive impact my ability to be refunded through the Insolvency process, my insurance, my credit card company or others?

No, Crystal has found a solution which will run in parallel with these proceedings. The Exceptional Initiative is purely a commercial gesture from Crystal.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

This question is answered in the FAQs on the web page.  I does not in short.

Will the credits I receive impact my ability to be refunded through the Insolvency process, my insurance, my credit card company or others?

No, Crystal has found a solution which will run in parallel with these proceedings. The Exceptional Initiative is purely a commercial gesture from Crystal.

That's called double dipping.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

That's called double dipping.

No it is not.

Applying will not effect the chances of getting your money back through the ABC process.

The process is likely to be completed by July.

Your credit from Crystal will be less and credit card, insurance payment or ABC payment.

For Eligible Guests

• The guest must be a client of the former Crystal Cruises (Crystal Cruises LLC).
  • The guest must have filed a claim form with Moecker & Associates through the ABC process, which form was received by no later than June 11, 2022, by Moecker & Associates (the “Claim”).
  • The Claim must have included at least one (1) booking on Crystal Serenity or Crystal Symphony. Claims filed for other assets owned by the former Crystal Cruises LLC will not be eligible.
  • The Claim must still be valid with sums currently outstanding to the guest (refunds from the Assignee, Mark Healy, credit card companies, insurance, or others will be netted from the original amount of the claim).
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

No it is not.

Applying will not effect the chances of getting your money back through the ABC process.

The process is likely to be completed by July.

Your credit from Crystal will be less and credit card, insurance payment or ABC payment.

For Eligible Guests

• The guest must be a client of the former Crystal Cruises (Crystal Cruises LLC).
  • The guest must have filed a claim form with Moecker & Associates through the ABC process, which form was received by no later than June 11, 2022, by Moecker & Associates (the “Claim”).
  • The Claim must have included at least one (1) booking on Crystal Serenity or Crystal Symphony. Claims filed for other assets owned by the former Crystal Cruises LLC will not be eligible.
  • The Claim must still be valid with sums currently outstanding to the guest (refunds from the Assignee, Mark Healy, credit card companies, insurance, or others will be netted from the original amount of the claim).

Agree. It would only be double dipping if nc did not deduct what you receive in the bankruptcy from their offer. 

I wonder how they plan on verifying whether the numbers reported to Moecker by oc cruisers reflected credit card refunds or insurance received. Unfortunately there will be some who try to double dip. Call me cynical but ….

• Like 2

Some people seem to be hung up on the five cruises.  

If you only do one you get 20% of what you were owed for one cruise. Before this program was rolled out you got 0%.  In my book 20% is better than 0.  Book two and you get 40%.

I know some people book far out but many don't for a range of reasons from health to the experience of the Pandemic.

Anyway, if it doesn't work for you it doesn't.  The nice thing is that for some who are already booked who are owned money they now qualify for something totally unexpected and for others who are owed money who can book prior to the cutoff date it provides an opportunity to get some of their money back in the form of a discount.

Keith

• Like 4

Keith, How it is going to be for those who have booked already with NC? Will you receive the discount in your first cruise and in the subsequent ones and not anymore from the Assignees? I guess you will have to inform to the Assignees that you are receiving your credit from New Crystal.

For those of us who have not booked yet, even though we have registered for the offer from New Crystal, we will have to wait before booking that the Assignees finish their work. Hopefully this will happen before the deadline from New Crystal.

Otherwise neither we, nor NC will know what the amount of the Credit is, because it has to be the rest that is left unpaid by the Assignees.

Ivi

23 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

How it is going to be for those who have booked already with NC? Will you receive the discount in your first cruise and in the subsequent ones and not anymore from the Assignees? I guess you will have to inform to the Assignees that you are receiving your credit from New Crystal.

For those of us who have not booked yet, even though we have registered for the offer from New Crystal, we will have to wait before booking that the Assignees finish their work. Hopefully this will happen before the deadline from New Crystal.

Otherwise neither we, nor NC will know what the amount of the Credit is, because it has to be the rest that is left unpaid by the Assignees.

I think you’re making this way more complicated than it actually is

You won’t inform the administrators - New Crystal will do that when they validate your claim once you apply for it. I don’t see that process taking a long time to complete  

You can apply for the credit to be applied to an existing booking 

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Keith, How it is going to be for those who have booked already with NC? Will you receive the discount in your first cruise and in the subsequent ones and not anymore from the Assignees? I guess you will have to inform to the Assignees that you are receiving your credit from New Crystal.

Ivi

Ivi,

Yes, we will receive the credit on cruises already booked so all good news  there.  

You can book anytime before the deadline to get credit and not wait to hear from the assignee.  

Mocker does plan to wrap this up sometime this Summer.

Keith

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

I think you’re making this way more complicated than it actually is

You won’t inform the administrators - New Crystal will do that when they validate your claim once you apply for it. I don’t see that process taking a long time to complete  

You can apply for the credit to be applied to an existing booking 

Thanks Terry. Maybe is sounding complicated, however I am trying to understand.

For Germans is not usual that companies communicate and transfer information among individuals without our consent. Data protection laws are very strong for us. This is why I am assuming that we will inform personally whatever it has to be informed.

NC has received our applications but we do not have bookings so what is it that NC will inform the Assignees? There is nothing to inform yet. Unless we book a cruise.

Ivi

5 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

NC has received our applications but we do not have bookings so what is it that NC will inform the Assignees? There is nothing to inform yet. Unless we book a cruise.

There is in fact something for NC to “inform” the Administrators of at this point - they can start the validation of your claim now you’ve lodged it to confirm and quantify the level of debt you have proven and this the amount ie 20% of that total that you could conceivably receive against a future booking that meets the criteria of the Exceptional Initiative