Crystal Announces Launch of Exceptional Initiative Guests who Lost Money Under Crystal Cruises’ Former Ownership Can Apply

Keith1010

2 minutes ago, avalon244 said:

I see where you're coming from, and I will admit that Crystal is trying to do the right thing for some former customers. But what about people like me who couldn't wait around for the cruise line to re-emerge with new owners and had to find other cruising alternatives on which to spend our massive fortunes.

Satire?

Do you know anyone on this forum who would have the audacity and total lack of real world awareness to complain about getting free cruise credits because she's already booked 160 days each of the next 3 years on other lines? Some people in this world are happy if they go on one great vacation in their lifetimes.

And just to be clear: I'm already booked on 2 future Crystal cruises and my TA is happily booking Crystal for lots of people.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, avalon244 said:

And just to be clear: I'm already booked on 2 future Crystal cruises and my TA is happily booking Crystal for lots of people.

Hum…totally contradicts what you wrote in post #95

My TA, who is a well known leader in his/her industry, has told me (in the strictest confidence) that over the past few months not a single person has inquired about Crystal at his/her agency, least of all made a booking. 🤨🧐

nancy

• Like 3

Hello Crystal fans, I would like to point out that this NC initiatives is not the first in the industry.  In July 2022, Andrea Zelinsky, wrote in Travel Weekly about Royal Carribean initiative.  Here is the info.

Royal Caribbean Group will honor Crystal Endeavor deposits.

Royal Caribbean Group is offering to protect deposits of guests who were originally booked on the Crystal Endeavor, if they make a new booking on Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises or Silversea Cruises.

Royal Caribbean is acquiring the Endeavor for Silversea Cruises and renaming the ship the Silver Endeavour. The ship last sailed for Crystal Cruises, which ceased operating last February.

"Delivering the best vacations in the world, responsibly, is Royal Caribbean Group's purpose," said Royal Caribbean Group CEO Jason Liberty. "While our acquisition only covers the physical vessel, we want all of our guests to know we go above and beyond to take care of them. We believe those Crystal guests will receive back their deposits, but we want to give them added assurance."

According to Royal Caribbean, "To the extent the Crystal Endeavor guests do not receive their deposits back from Crystal or other sources, the Royal Caribbean Group will refund any amount paid on their new booking up to the amount of their lost deposits from Crystal."

Have a great day!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, nancygp said:

My TA, who is a well known leader in his/her industry, has told me (in the strictest confidence) that over the past few months not a single person has inquired about Crystal at his/her agency, least of all made a booking. 🤨🧐

nancy

I am hearing the same.

There are only 3 buckets  of potential customers  imo. I don’t think regulars on the other luxury lines will book a totally unknown product. Again the ships are old. I realize that many of you love them but many cruisers prefer newer ships 

crystal regulars who want to book nc and didn’t lose money. No issue there. However as we can see from these boards many are taking a wait and see attitude. They want to know more about the new product. 

crystal regulars who want to book nc and lost money. No brainer. Great deal for them

crystal regulars who lost money and were not planning to book. Imo this is a significant number. Many have tried other lines in the interim. Some are just angry. Others might be on the fence. This is the group nc wants to capture with the incentive and it is very telling that they waited to announce it after they saw the number of initial bookings. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cruiselover51 said:

Hello Crystal fans, I would like to point out that this NC initiatives is not the first in the industry.  In July 2022, Andrea Zelinsky, wrote in Travel Weekly about Royal Carribean initiative.  Here is the info.

Royal Caribbean Group will honor Crystal Endeavor deposits.

Royal Caribbean Group is offering to protect deposits of guests who were originally booked on the Crystal Endeavor, if they make a new booking on Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises or Silversea Cruises.

Royal Caribbean is acquiring the Endeavor for Silversea Cruises and renaming the ship the Silver Endeavour. The ship last sailed for Crystal Cruises, which ceased operating last February.

"Delivering the best vacations in the world, responsibly, is Royal Caribbean Group's purpose," said Royal Caribbean Group CEO Jason Liberty. "While our acquisition only covers the physical vessel, we want all of our guests to know we go above and beyond to take care of them. We believe those Crystal guests will receive back their deposits, but we want to give them added assurance."

According to Royal Caribbean, "To the extent the Crystal Endeavor guests do not receive their deposits back from Crystal or other sources, the Royal Caribbean Group will refund any amount paid on their new booking up to the amount of their lost deposits from Crystal."

Have a great day!

Apples and oranges imo

travelberlin, my apologies if my post appeared to minimize the impact of the "old" Crystal taking money from past passengers.  I realize that many of those passengers do not have a way of recouping the money that they placed on "old" Crystal cruises, and, understandably, they would like a better resolution than is being offered from the "new" Crystal.  

I am following the boards on CC again as I hope to continue to be able to sail on cruise lines that I have loved to sail in the past.  Crystal was at the top of my (our) list for years, and was our cruise line of choice.  

Since the COVID impact on cruising  (yes, we did lose money, but it didn't happen to be on Crystal for us),    I have found that the CC boards  are less informative than in the past.  Instead, for me, I find that there are way more posts that appear to be attacking individuals personally.   I, too,  have a genuine interest in what people have to say about each of the cruise lines that I am following, and am very interested in what happens with the "new" Crystal.  

I hope that this post will clarify that I had no intention of my post minimizing what people lost when the "old" Crystal ceased to operate, and that the sharing of information about what is currently happening with the "new" Crystal is beneficial.  I just wish that "personalities" and "conflicts" could be left behind much like the "old" Crystal owners, and I could focus on what the "new" Crystal has to offer, or not, as the case may be.   

Edited by mariners
Attempt to clarify and still follow CC rules.
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, mariners said:

travelberlin, my apologies if my post appeared to minimize the impact of the "old" Crystal taking money from past passengers.  I realize that many of those passengers do not have a way of recouping the money that they placed on "old" Crystal cruises, and, understandably, they would like a better resolution than is being offered from the "new" Crystal.  

I am following the boards on CC again as I hope to continue to be able to sail on cruise lines that I have loved to sail in the past.  Crystal was at the top of my (our) list for years, and was our cruise line of choice.  

Since the COVID impact on cruising  (yes, we did lose money, but it didn't happen to be on Crystal for us),    I have found that the CC boards  are less informative than in the past.  Instead, for me, I find that there are way more posts that appear to be attacking individuals personally.   I, too,  have a genuine interest in what people have to say about each of the cruise lines that I am following, and am very interested in what happens with the "new" Crystal.  

I hope that this post will clarify that I had no intention of my post minimizing what people lost when the "old" Crystal ceased to operate, and that the sharing of information about what is currently happening with the "new" Crystal is beneficial.  I just wish that "personalities" and "conflicts" could be left behind much like the "old" Crystal owners, and I could focus on what the "new" Crystal has to offer, or not, as the case may be.   

No worries Mariners. I was not thinking about you when I mentioned the minimizing/criticizing/relativizing.

Ivi

• Like 1

Oh, Oh, Oh… I am reading very disturbing posts on the social media that covers Crystal bankruptcy. Some body mentions that if we apply for this NC initiative we will loose our right to a monetary refund from the Assignees. Can someone clarify if this is the case. I do not recall having seeing this in the terms and conditions of NC offer.

Ivi

14 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Oh, Oh, Oh… I am reading very disturbing posts on the social media that covers Crystal bankruptcy. Some body mentions that if we apply for this NC initiative we will loose our right to a monetary refund from the Assignees.

Can you link to where this is being claimed? 

I don’t believe it would be the case unless you were required to formally sign something waiving your rights to claim from the Assignee. You have legal rights with them and it’s hard to see where acceptance if an offer from an unrelated party would impact those rights

Although I think there was some talk about if you get a credit from Crystal that Moecker could reduce your claim (although I still think the chances of getting much from the Administrators is pretty slim anyway)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

13 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Can you link to where this is being claimed? 

I don’t believe it would be the case unless you were required to formally sign something waiving your rights to claim from the Assignee. You have legal rights with them and it’s hard to see where acceptance if an offer from an unrelated party would impact those rights

Although I think there was some talk about if you get a credit from Crystal that Moecker could reduce your claim (although I still think the chances of getting much from the Administrators is pretty slim anyway)

It is in the discussion of Crystal Cruises Bankruptcy Exchange. There is an interesting discussion going on there. I cannot link it. I believe it is a private group. 

You are right, that actually one would have to waive the rights to claim. So I guess this is not going to happen. 
Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

The incentive is from a new company and it would be considered a "gift" -- not a payback of any debt.  I cannot see how taking advantage of the incentive denies you a recovery in the bankruptcy.  However, I do understand why NC wants to reduce the "gift" by any recovery in the bankruptcy.  They want to make you whole -- not have you make a profit.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Agree with IVI.   And I am one of those "suspects" who continues to post on FB.   Social media is a powerful tool to those that know how/frequent in its use.  To counter your argument, received a call from Crystal wanting to tell me about their new deal based on my last FB (pay me what you owe me) post to one of their ads -- even cited it.

Cruise Critic is about the only social media I use... with the exception of a short-lived Twitter account a couple of years ago.

Long story short, our westbound TA scheduled for Oct 2020 didn't happen (shocking!)

TAP Air Portugal spent more than a year stringing me along about a refund after *they* cancelled my flight. (I was sure they would so I waited them out and I was right.)

I spent hours and hours and hours on the phone trying to get refunds for our four tickets.  Literally nothing, insane excuses that made zero sense, total insanity.  Like talking to HAL 9000 with more apathy and less clarity.

I filed a complaint with the EU Travel Commission.

I made a Twitter account and started bombing them. I also "tagged" (or whatever you call it) every travel related resource I could think of, NYT Travel, WaPo Travel, whatever Portuguese "come visit us" authority there is, etc.

Every time TAP Air Portugal posted something like "Come relax and enjoy the beautiful views of Portugal" or whatever, I responded with something like "I'd love to! Unfortunately a bunch of my money has been tied up with you 14 months after you cancelled my flight and you still haven't refunded me.  When you get me my refund for my four tickets I might be able to take a vacation again! Want to refund me? Flight confirmation ABC123!"  I got a little more creative and forceful as the posts went on but each one ended with my confirmation number.

I had my money back in less than two weeks.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

All that to say... my husband saw this on his news feed today and was REALLY excited about it, as was I. I called my mom, explained the situation, got childcare all settled, and we had 3 potential 2024 cruises all picked out! (I mean we were only going on one but we'd narrowed it down.) 

Whatever news media he read initially, though, left out the part about it being divided over 5 cruises.

So we thought we were recouping ALL of our money which would have paid for about 40-60% of the cruises we were considering.

Oops.  Less excited now. Still a nice gesture but not as grand as I'd initially understood and certainly we cannot take 5 childless cruises between now and 2025. (I mean even though our cruise calendar is booked through 2038 like so many of you we were hoping to squeeze in one more... 😉)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nancygp said:

nancy

As I said, sartire and some folks don’t get it, thinking it doesn’t relate to them. And Nancy, I’m not implying it’s you

Edited by AtA
  • Like 1

I have to admit I have been focuses on comments to the incentive program as well as all of the questions. Hopefully, I have gotten answers to most of them.  A couple of them I did note I didn't address.

So I have not read all of the posts and in some cases portions but did want to comment on one of the items.

I am sure there are some TA's booking far less or even no Crystal Cruises per date for a range of reasons.  I am also aware of other TA's who have been busy booking a significant number of Crystal Cruises and I suspect there are some falling somewhere in the middle of this.

As noted, some people, including some on this board, already had cruising plans in place when Crystal announced their inaugural cruises.  Others want to wait and see what the reviews are after the first few questions.  There are some booked who still want to wait on reviews before making a final decisions. There are others who have good a good number of cruises and there are some who have booked lots of the Crystal Cruises including the Full World Cruise.

Launching a new company is not easy.  In this case, while it is a new company, separate from the former owners, it has retained the Crystal name (well Crystal and not Crystal Cruises) and some of its land based team has returned along with many new people and a large portion of the crew is returning.  The brand will carry over many items from the original brand while changing things up to create the new brand. What this mean is that unlike a new company, it is being viewed to some extent as its former company and that comes with the good but also the bad.  And when it comes to some things the good and the bad overlap when it comes to who is booking and who is not booking including TA's and Consortiums.  For example, some TA's are personally excited that Crystal is back and happy to book their clients. And as we've heard here and in some other forums and in the media or maybe from acquaintances and friends, some TA's/Consortiums/Former Guests are not booking with Crystal for ether the near term or possibly the longer term.  

At the same time, most of the focus has been on Crystal Society members through e-mails and through the TA's, with some advertising via social media.  So not as many people who are not familiar with former Crystal are even aware that the new line is launching.

All of this takes time.  A key will certainly be the experience and then the stories shared by those who are on the first set of Serenity and then Symphony voyages.

As to this exceptional incentive program like most things people will react differently for a range of reasons including whether or not you are owed money, if you planned to sail or for that matter if you already had booking in place, along with how you view things like this.  No right or wrong.  

For me, it was unexpected and for me it was a positive.  I know others who feel the same way including people who have posted, while I know some including some who have posted who don't see this as either positive or they might see it as positive but just not for them as they don't have bookings or are not owed money or don't have plans to book anything by the end of July.

For me I also come at it that over the years there have been programs offered by a range of companies whether that is buy one and get the second at no cost or at half price or refer a friend and get x benefit or whatever that I see positively and others that I either don't care one way or the other or have no use for.  Others might see the one I see as positive as no big deal as they have no interest and others might think something is terrific because they are interested in the incentive while for me I have no interest in it.  

In any event, even if a program has not attraction for me, if I know some are happy with it I am happy for them because in the end it always comes down to each person.

JMO.

Keith

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I have to admit I have been focuses on comments to the incentive program as well as all of the questions. Hopefully, I have gotten answers to most of them.  A couple of them I did note I didn't address.

So I have not read all of the posts and in some cases portions but did want to comment on one of the items.

I am sure there are some TA's booking far less or even no Crystal Cruises per date for a range of reasons.  I am also aware of other TA's who have been busy booking a significant number of Crystal Cruises and I suspect there are some falling somewhere in the middle of this.

As noted, some people, including some on this board, already had cruising plans in place when Crystal announced their inaugural cruises.  Others want to wait and see what the reviews are after the first few questions.  There are some booked who still want to wait on reviews before making a final decisions. There are others who have good a good number of cruises and there are some who have booked lots of the Crystal Cruises including the Full World Cruise.

Launching a new company is not easy.  In this case, while it is a new company, separate from the former owners, it has retained the Crystal name (well Crystal and not Crystal Cruises) and some of its land based team has returned along with many new people and a large portion of the crew is returning.  The brand will carry over many items from the original brand while changing things up to create the new brand. What this mean is that unlike a new company, it is being viewed to some extent as its former company and that comes with the good but also the bad.  And when it comes to some things the good and the bad overlap when it comes to who is booking and who is not booking including TA's and Consortiums.  For example, some TA's are personally excited that Crystal is back and happy to book their clients. And as we've heard here and in some other forums and in the media or maybe from acquaintances and friends, some TA's/Consortiums/Former Guests are not booking with Crystal for ether the near term or possibly the longer term.  

At the same time, most of the focus has been on Crystal Society members through e-mails and through the TA's, with some advertising via social media.  So not as many people who are not familiar with former Crystal are even aware that the new line is launching.

All of this takes time.  A key will certainly be the experience and then the stories shared by those who are on the first set of Serenity and then Symphony voyages.

As to this exceptional incentive program like most things people will react differently for a range of reasons including whether or not you are owed money, if you planned to sail or for that matter if you already had booking in place, along with how you view things like this.  No right or wrong.  

For me, it was unexpected and for me it was a positive.  I know others who feel the same way including people who have posted, while I know some including some who have posted who don't see this as either positive or they might see it as positive but just not for them as they don't have bookings or are not owed money or don't have plans to book anything by the end of July.

For me I also come at it that over the years there have been programs offered by a range of companies whether that is buy one and get the second at no cost or at half price or refer a friend and get x benefit or whatever that I see positively and others that I either don't care one way or the other or have no use for.  Others might see the one I see as positive as no big deal as they have no interest and others might think something is terrific because they are interested in the incentive while for me I have no interest in it.  

In any event, even if a program has not attraction for me, if I know some are happy with it I am happy for them because in the end it always comes down to each person.

JMO.

Keith

Well that's the positive post Keith.

Good move from the new owners to those that it benefits.

The value of a reward is judged more by the perceived motivation of the person giving the reward than its inherent value.  However desirable a reward may be, it is often resisted because it is seen as manipulative.

• Like 2

I am more motivated to book a NC cruise now than I was before this initiative. As some of the money that OC owes us, was because of cruises I have booked solo, I will see if I find cruises for solo bookings at per diems competitive with other cruise lines.

My problem is that the allocated single cabins are not of my preference and if I would have to come on a queue for those cabins, it would make them less preferable. If NC would reduce/drop the solo supplement of other cabins, I would have a further motivation to book.

Now, due to my experience with the OC, I am not booking cruises too far in advance. Only exception Explora, which I really trust because of the parent company (MSC has refunded us all our money due to cancellations during the Pandemia within 3 months). 

I have registered for this offer from NC but I have not booked yet any cruise. My approach will be:

1) first I will wait to receive my money back from the Assignees. I have not renounced to this refund by applying for NC offer. My preference is to receive my money back without conditions.

2) if the money from the Assignees will arrive during the first two weeks of July, if this refund is definitive without further expected payments, and if there is something left which is still due to me, I will inform NC of the new amount due and book my first NC cruise with the hope that they deliver what they promise. If no money is left, I will treat NC like any other cruise line I do not know and wait for reviews first.

For our bookings as a couple, the approach will be similar.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crickette said:

The value of a reward is judged more by the perceived motivation of the person giving the reward than its inherent value.  However desirable a reward may be, it is often resisted because it is seen as manipulative.

I graduated with a marketing degree back in the dark ages (1968) and even then we learned that all advertising is manipulative!! 😱🤪🤑

Patty

• Like 2

3 hours ago, crickette said:

I'm a finance guy. So, its the timing that matters.

NC could have started with friendly prices. At this stage, NC is a speculative proposition . Instead, they started with a high list price. Naturally, they're not going to poach pax from the other luxury lines.  

So, they offer a discount (over multiple trips) to old OC pax with a grudge. This is a sign of weakness. So, my instincts tell me to wait for more meaningful discounts. Are they going to sail with half occupancy??

Typically, its the impulsive people who will have regrets.

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

I'm a finance guy. So, its the timing that matters.

NC could have started with friendly prices. At this stage, NC is a speculative proposition . Instead, they started with a high list price. Naturally, they're not going to poach pax from the other luxury lines.  

So, they offer a discount (over multiple trips) to old OC pax with a grudge. This is a sign of weakness. So, my instincts tell me to wait for more meaningful discounts. Are they going to sail with half occupancy??

Typically, its the impulsive people who will have regrets.

I doubt the offer will improve.  They would have to be awfully desperate to do anything more.  Maybe if the ships are sailing half full???

14 minutes ago, bitob said:

I doubt the offer will improve.  They would have to be awfully desperate to do anything more.  Maybe if the ships are sailing half full???

I don't think NC will offer an additional discount to OC pax.

I meant that NC should offer a discount to the public. Not having sailed OC, I'm wondering why I'm paying list price while OC pax get a discount. IMO, NC should have announced a 10% general discount to go with the 20% OC discount.

A double discount would be a meaningful incentive for folks like you. Particularly if you already have bookings for the rest of the year.

NC's next step would be to grant generous status matching (with matching discounts) for new customers. I'm Diamond with MSC.

• Like 1

So you're saying the list price isn't the real price.  I hated that when the sites would list a price but then the "you pay" price.  Horrible way to treat luxury travelers.  Give me only 1 price the real price.  If I've earned a special discount then that is fine but not a discount for everyone.

• Like 2