Is Passport Needed for stops in Canada?

Calif Explorer

I plan to take a roundtrip cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver and Victoria in 4 weeks.  Is a US Passport necessary to board or will a Birth Certificate and/or Real ID Driver's License be sufficient?

At the time I renewed my passport on-line at the end of January, the estimated wait time was 6 to 8 weeks.  It is now 8 weeks and I am still waiting.  New renewals now take 8 to 12 weeks (only by mail and not even by on-line).  I will be boarding in another 4 weeks.   I know if I have not received my passport in another 2 weeks, I can call and go through the process, expense, and anxiety  of expediting the passport.  I will if absolutely necessary, but is there an alternative  (such as above birth certificate, real ID).  Can I even board with my old passport still in my possession (still valid by date on passport, but technically invalid at the time when I sent in my on-line renewal).  Can I trust what Princess says when I call them about the alternative IDs.  I was told that birth certificate is OK.  I hate to be denied on the whim of someone during embarkation.

Thanks for any insight.

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

See the official information on what is require on closed loop cruise from the US.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-74?language=en_US

This is for re-entry to the United States.  CBP is always very careful to highlight that entry into other countries may involve more than the WHTI requirements and travellers shojld check with those countries' appropriate authorities.  As it happens, for this cruise the DL and official BC for coming to Canada on ghe ship are fully satisfactory.

4 minutes ago, brisalta said:

You do know that Vancouver and Victoria are in Canada and Canada has border controls.

Your link does not contradict that a birth certificate is sufficient. From the Canadian website:

Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

Edited by Charles4515

All these posters refer to official government web-sites but ... what does Princess say in the Important Notices section on the cruise personalizer for your particular sailing. They're going to be the ones who will let you on the ship or not.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

All these posters refer to official government web-sites but ... what does Princess say in the Important Notices section on the cruise personalizer for your particular sailing. They're going to be the ones who will let you on the ship or not.

Princess actually says to check with the government of the destination.

Following third party advice is a good way to get deported. A work colleague did that and ended up being deported from the destination because the third party advice was wrong.

• Like 2

Simple answer:  Yes you do.  To enter Canada, Americans must show a valid passport.  To enter the US, Canadians must show a valid passport.  Its reciprocal and its official.  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Anubi said:

Simple answer:  Yes you do.  To enter Canada, Americans must show a valid passport.  To enter the US, Canadians must show a valid passport.  Its reciprocal and its official.  🙂 

Wrong. A passport is not required  of US citizens to enter Canada on a closed loop cruise from the US. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Wrong. A passport is not required  of US citizens to enter Canada on a closed loop cruise from the US. 

Don't believe me, your choice.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Anubi said:

Don't believe me, your choice.  

A snarky response still doesn't make your response correct.  Passports are not required for US citizens on a closed loop cruise from the US where the only foreign port stops are in Canada.

Edited by DallasGuy75219
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi, I do check-in for Alaska cruises leaving Seattle.  Your US gov't issued birth certificate (city, county, state) along with your gov't issued photo ID will be suffice for your round trip SF-SF closed loop cruse.

• U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Canada will accept your US gov't issued birth certificate and your US gov't issued photo ID on your closed loop cruise.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

There is one time on a closed loop Alaska cruise including Canada that you will need a passport. I do not remember which Alaskan port it is in, but there is a train excursion that enters Canada. You will need to show your passport to board the train. Of course, no one has to do this particular excursion.

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

There is one time on a closed loop Alaska cruise including Canada that you will need a passport. I do not remember which Alaskan port it is in, but there is a train excursion that enters Canada. You will need to show your passport to board the train. Of course, no one has to do this particular excursion.

Skagway.  White Pass Railway excursion into The Yukon (Canada) and passports are required for the excursion.  We’ve done it three times and US passengers showed their passports, which were verified prior to boarding the train/bus.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Hi, I do check-in for Alaska cruises leaving Seattle.  Your US gov't issued birth certificate (city, county, state) along with your gov't issued photo ID will be suffice for your round trip SF-SF closed loop cruse.

• U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Canada will accept your US gov't issued birth certificate and your US gov't issued photo ID on your closed loop cruise.

@Calif Explorer

Highlighted important info. I just sweated this despite my CVP having her super review my birth certificate and saying I was good to go. Passport Office was assured that IF I paid for expedited passport + express mailing + did not get it within 14 days of my cruise, I could try for an appointment in SF within 14 days of my trip. No idea where you live but those appointments are available in SF, LA, and San Diego State Dept Offices. Not in Sacramento or Stockton. Call 1st thing in the morning. 

Fortunately I got it after 7 weeks. But I can totally relate to your anxiety.  

@Lady Arwen is right: no Skagway White Pass excursion 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lady Arwen said:

Skagway.  White Pass Railway excursion into The Yukon (Canada) and passports are required for the excursion.  We’ve done it three times and US passengers showed their passports, which were verified prior to boarding the train/bus.

We did it once. They did make sure you were aware of the requirement of showing your passport. And yes they did check before allowing you to board the train.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

2 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

There are also several bus tour excursions in Skagway that cross the border into the Yukon Territory.  The excursion descriptions for these should warn you that a passport is required.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@Calif Explorer

Highlighted important info. I just sweated this despite my CVP having her super review my birth certificate and saying I was good to go. Passport Office was assured that IF I paid for expedited passport + express mailing + did not get it within 14 days of my cruise, I could try for an appointment in SF within 14 days of my trip. No idea where you live but those appointments are available in SF, LA, and San Diego. Not in Sacramento or Stockton Federal Bldg. Call  1st thing in the morning. 

Fortunately I got it after 7 weeks. But I can totally relate to your anxiety.  

@Lady Arwen is right: no Skagway White Pass excursion 

Correction

a few notes:

RealID is not a passport or Birth Certificate substitute in this case and the Princess FAQs on the website make this painfully clear.   Enhanced ID is a different thing issued by a few states on the northern border 

you can’t fly back from Vancouver on a BC or DL despite the US preclearance facility in the Vancouver airport.  Air crossings require a passport with very, very limited exceptions that almost certainly do not apply here or you wouldn’t be asking the original question. 

Edited by VibeGuy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

There are also several bus tour excursions in Skagway that cross the border into the Yukon Territory.  The excursion descriptions for these should warn you that a passport is required.

The 20-mile/cheap train trip doesn’t.  The good one does.  And it’s a cooperative agreement with CBP, CBSA and the railroad, not a legal requirement.  I support it,  but it’s for those parties’ convenience. 

5 hours ago, brisalta said:

Princess actually says to check with the government of the destination.

Following third party advice is a good way to get deported. A work colleague did that and ended up being deported from the destination because the third party advice was wrong.

Wasn't saying to only follow what Princess says on their website. There have been times where the Princess documentation requirement is more stringent than those of the countries being visited. I'd always go with the most restrictive set of requirements.

10 hours ago, Calif Explorer said:

I plan to take a roundtrip cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver and Victoria in 4 weeks.  Is a US Passport necessary to board or will a Birth Certificate and/or Real ID Driver's License be sufficient?

At the time I renewed my passport on-line at the end of January, the estimated wait time was 6 to 8 weeks.  It is now 8 weeks and I am still waiting.  New renewals now take 8 to 12 weeks (only by mail and not even by on-line).  I will be boarding in another 4 weeks.   I know if I have not received my passport in another 2 weeks, I can call and go through the process, expense, and anxiety  of expediting the passport.  I will if absolutely necessary, but is there an alternative  (such as above birth certificate, real ID).  Can I even board with my old passport still in my possession (still valid by date on passport, but technically invalid at the time when I sent in my on-line renewal).  Can I trust what Princess says when I call them about the alternative IDs.  I was told that birth certificate is OK.  I hate to be denied on the whim of someone during embarkation.

Thanks for any insight.

I have no idea about your question, but I’m worried my passport won’t be here in time for my cruise either.  Would you mind letting me know when you receive your new passport?  I applied the beginning of Feb, when the wait was 6-9 weeks.  Now the processing time is 10-13 weeks & my cruise to Europe is in 12 weeks.  I’m getting really anxious that I’m going to miss the boat.

• Like 1