Is Wonder really a wonder?

Planning a trip at some point on the Wonder and we are gifting this trip to our two daughters, their husbands and their children and ourselves. I have one unenthusiastic son in law who flat out says he has no interest in a cruise…..even though it is free for him. I want to rap him upside the head! I asked him to look at the Wonder to see how fantastic it looks but he simply says he is sure there will just be lines everywhere to do anything. He hates lines. Never having cruised a ship this size before can anyone tell me how bad the lines are for slides and other activities. Likely we will be cruising the Caribbean in either a January or April. I wish someone was giving ME a free trip!!

1 hour ago, Wendylet said:

Planning a trip at some point on the Wonder and we are gifting this trip to our two daughters, their husbands and their children and ourselves. I have one unenthusiastic son in law who flat out says he has no interest in a cruise…..even though it is free for him. I want to rap him upside the head! I asked him to look at the Wonder to see how fantastic it looks but he simply says he is sure there will just be lines everywhere to do anything. He hates lines. Never having cruised a ship this size before can anyone tell me how bad the lines are for slides and other activities. Likely we will be cruising the Caribbean in either a January or April. I wish someone was giving ME a free trip!!

January would probably be better. April will be Spring Break crowds and more lines. I sailed the Wonder TA in Oct. and didn’t really find any long wait times. I had a great time on the ship. If your SIL is going to be a Grumpasaurus Rex, maybe leave him home 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Was just on the Wonder for the March 5th sailing and had a great time.  Yes there will be a lot of people, I didn't find the lines too crazy but there will be crowds at the popular attractions from time to time.  The Wonder is a beautiful ship with lots to offer, but from the way you describe your son in law and how he doesn't want to cruise it may be hard to please him on any ship on any line.  I would think the appeal of a free cruise and the time to spend with extended family would be interest enough and something to be excited about.  Don't know your family dynamic but 1 complaining family member can potentially put a damper on a vacation. Best of luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

January would probably be better. April will be Spring Break crowds and more lines. I sailed the Wonder TA in Oct. and didn’t really find any long wait times. I had a great time on the ship. If your SIL is going to be a Grumpasaurus Rex, maybe leave him home 😉

Thinking about that one! Thanks for the info and suggestion of date. Much appreciated!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I would leave him at home. Sounds like he won’t be happy anyway. Has he never been in lines for theme parks, concerts, sports games, etc?

We actually did a big trip, again free to him, Disneyworld for two weeks last May. It was pretty hot so that didn’t help his mood at all. Somehow we managed, I think by just letting that family do as they pleased and met up for a meal or some park time each day. I think he doesn’t mind lines too much if it’s what HE wants to do. I just might have to tell him not to come if he thinks he won’t enjoy it. Don’t want my trip ruined with my wonderful grandkids!

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

Was just on the Wonder for the March 5th sailing and had a great time.  Yes there will be a lot of people, I didn't find the lines too crazy but there will be crowds at the popular attractions from time to time.  The Wonder is a beautiful ship with lots to offer, but from the way you describe your son in law and how he doesn't want to cruise it may be hard to please him on any ship on any line.  I would think the appeal of a free cruise and the time to spend with extended family would be interest enough and something to be excited about.  Don't know your family dynamic but 1 complaining family member can potentially put a damper on a vacation. Best of luck!

Thank you for that. Those were my thoughts exactly. If you can’t be thankful for a free trip at least thinking you are getting to travel and spend time with family, I’m not sure what to think about that. When he said he couldn’t “see the appeal” in the trip I told him the “appeal” was that it was free!!!! Honestly. Just really don’t want to upset my daughter with the whole thing so really trying to sort it out in my mind before speaking too much!

• Like 1

Everyone should tell him about the wonderful time they had..... when they return home from the amazing (and free) vacation.  Send him some pictures during the trip.  Some pictures should include the message, "Wish you were here!"

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Wendylet said:

I gifted my sister and her then new husband a cruise and they stood me up last minute.

People dont value what they dont pay for. I'd make real sure he will go if he isnt wanting to cruise. If it's not his money he may not value the gift the same way you do giving it. 

Bella2 is booked on wonder so I'll follow along. My days of inviting others to cruise for free is over. I've also invited a few friends along just pay taxes before covid. Now I'm cruising solo since covid. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Wendylet said:

We actually did a big trip, again free to him, Disneyworld for two weeks last May. It was pretty hot so that didn’t help his mood at all. Somehow we managed, I think by just letting that family do as they pleased and met up for a meal or some park time each day. I think he doesn’t mind lines too much if it’s what HE wants to do. I just might have to tell him not to come if he thinks he won’t enjoy it. Don’t want my trip ruined with my wonderful grandkids!

With all due respect, two weeks is a very long time at Disney and that might be a large part of his reluctance.  I would point out the differences between Disney and a ship:  not outdoors constantly in the heat, not as hot at sea as in central Florida, the ability to return to the cabin within minutes, use of kids’ clubs for adult time, shows and activities that appeal to adults. He would be able to easily take some time for himself in a quiet place (cabin, solarium) if the number of people becomes irritating or overwhelming. 

A cruise ship is my absolute favorite place in the world, but Disney is pure punishment for me, even for a day.  I also find more than a few days to be too much “extended family time”.  He might have similar personality traits and find that he loves cruising for the same reason I do. 

• Like 3

What does he do as vacations?  I have found on a cruise even with the size of an Oasis class ship you can avoid lines for the most part.  Here are some tips I can give you and these are for if he truly wants to avoid lines.  If he is waiting to eat at the Windjammer for breakfast, they best way to avoid the lines I have found is to go when they first open, usually 7am. I am an earlier riser on a cruise even staying up late.  I usually go have a light or mid size breakfast. Then a hour or so later the rest of the people I will cruise with will start getting up and want to go to breakfast at like 830/9 ish.  I will go again and it's a little busier but not bad. If he is not an earlier riser he could always go to the dinning room and eat breakfast on the sea days.  You might have to just wait for a table (just like a restaurant back home). 

Next for lunch do the same thing if he is looking at eating in the Windjammer, get there when it first opens. But being the Wonder you have many other options for lunch, El Loco Fresh, Park Cafe, Sorrentos, or even a specialty restaurant that he can pay for since you are gifting a cruise.

Dinner I am guessing you guys will do the main dining room or specialty dinning.

Even if he hates lines for other things, like the elevator there are small ways around that.  One big one is after a show.  Most of the time people like to go back to their cabin for something or to a different part of the ship.  Well the way I found around that but it takes some walking, but HEY im not in a rush im on vacation.  Walk to the other end of the ship from where the show was and take those elevators.  Or just simply take the stairs if you don't mind that.

I tell people that taking a cruise is like a hotel on water.  The best part one day you are in the middle of the ocean and then the next day you are in a port with amazing views with water that looks like a swimming pool.

The time frame that you are looking at going could be good, but from the trend of what I've seen the Wonder being the newest ship they have, has been sold out each sailing.  I am actually going on her for the first time on the April 30th sailing and can report back on what I thought.  I have been on the Allure 2 times and the Symphony and never EVER felt like I do when I have been to Disney, Universal, Bush Gardens, etc being in those lines, going on a cruise is a cake walk!!!!

Last, if he doesn't want to go I can act as your son-in-law for a week, I don't mind at all. Hopefully you can show him these post so he can understand that cruising is so much fun.  I would also tell him, just go this ONE time and see. We are all going and if you TRULY don't like it then we will understand, but just go with an open mind about it. I think once he sees how amazing the Caribbean is he will like it.

Thank you for that

You're welcome and I'll add one more thought, rather than take our opinions on how to make him happy on the cruise and try to accommodate his feelings at the expense of the group I would suggest that for you as the host make it clear on what your offer is and what your intentions and expectations are.  You seem like a planner and possibly a worrier, that's OK I am too. But will you be able to enjoy the vacation you paid for and plan if the concern is always your SIL and his feelings?  That would be a shame.  I don't think it's appropriate to tell you do this or that, leave him home etc as we all have family drama.  Just trying to offer some suggestions, reading your posts it seems there is some history there with him and he's hard to please.  I don't think you're trying to control the situation, just trying to please others can often lead to unhappiness for you. 

Don’t want my trip ruined with my wonderful grandkids!

They'll have a great time.

Ask your daughter if she and the kids would enjoy a free cruise without him. Leave him home and don't  push the subject anymore. The last thing you want to see is his puss all week long.  That just might make everyone uncomfortable. Enjoy your cruise with those that want to be there. The end.

3 hours ago, deepcman said:

Why all the drama. You simply ask who wants to go and those that say "no" stay home.

It sounds like, because it's free for them, they must come. Stop trying to control the situation. 

I’m really not trying to control anything. This attitude just came from a simple question about whether they would be interested in a free cruise. This had been discussed generally several times in the past so he knew it was in the works. I was just asking them to have a look at the ship and let me know their thoughts. I am not a controlling person, I am a giving person. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

With all due respect, two weeks is a very long time at Disney and that might be a large part of his reluctance.  I would point out the differences between Disney and a ship:  not outdoors constantly in the heat, not as hot at sea as in central Florida, the ability to return to the cabin within minutes, use of kids’ clubs for adult time, shows and activities that appeal to adults. He would be able to easily take some time for himself in a quiet place (cabin, solarium) if the number of people becomes irritating or overwhelming. 

A cruise ship is my absolute favorite place in the world, but Disney is pure punishment for me, even for a day.  I also find more than a few days to be too much “extended family time”.  He might have similar personality traits and find that he loves cruising for the same reason I do. 

Yes Disney was a long haul but it was one of those “trip of a lifetime” situations. We stayed at a deluxe resort and that family had their own villa. We did a waterpark and they did pools every day. Some days they only came to a park for a few hours then left and did their own thing. It really was quite oppressively hot unfortunately. Since we are from western Canada it’s a chore to get there so you have to make it a lengthy trip. Anyway that was one and done and the purpose for me was to watch my grandkids have fun, which I did. Guess he was just collateral damage. 

• Like 3

Random thoughts:

- You've already received some great information about how to avoid lines.  

- One thing I don't think anyone mentioned:  The lines to board /disembark are very real, and I don't think any of us enjoy that part of the cruise.  And that's unavoidable. 

- Is it possible he isn't crazy about traveling with extended family and is using this "lines thing" as an excuse?  

At this point, I'd tell the extended family, "We've chosen this cruise.  Here are the details about date, travel, boarding, etc.  How many people from each family will attend?  We need a solid answer by this date so we can book the trip."  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DustFSU said:

What does he do as vacations?  I have found on a cruise even with the size of an Oasis class ship you can avoid lines for the most part.  Here are some tips I can give you and these are for if he truly wants to avoid lines.  If he is waiting to eat at the Windjammer for breakfast, they best way to avoid the lines I have found is to go when they first open, usually 7am. I am an earlier riser on a cruise even staying up late.  I usually go have a light or mid size breakfast. Then a hour or so later the rest of the people I will cruise with will start getting up and want to go to breakfast at like 830/9 ish.  I will go again and it's a little busier but not bad. If he is not an earlier riser he could always go to the dinning room and eat breakfast on the sea days.  You might have to just wait for a table (just like a restaurant back home). 

Next for lunch do the same thing if he is looking at eating in the Windjammer, get there when it first opens. But being the Wonder you have many other options for lunch, El Loco Fresh, Park Cafe, Sorrentos, or even a specialty restaurant that he can pay for since you are gifting a cruise.

Dinner I am guessing you guys will do the main dining room or specialty dinning.

Even if he hates lines for other things, like the elevator there are small ways around that.  One big one is after a show.  Most of the time people like to go back to their cabin for something or to a different part of the ship.  Well the way I found around that but it takes some walking, but HEY im not in a rush im on vacation.  Walk to the other end of the ship from where the show was and take those elevators.  Or just simply take the stairs if you don't mind that.

I tell people that taking a cruise is like a hotel on water.  The best part one day you are in the middle of the ocean and then the next day you are in a port with amazing views with water that looks like a swimming pool.

The time frame that you are looking at going could be good, but from the trend of what I've seen the Wonder being the newest ship they have, has been sold out each sailing.  I am actually going on her for the first time on the April 30th sailing and can report back on what I thought.  I have been on the Allure 2 times and the Symphony and never EVER felt like I do when I have been to Disney, Universal, Bush Gardens, etc being in those lines, going on a cruise is a cake walk!!!!

Last, if he doesn't want to go I can act as your son-in-law for a week, I don't mind at all. Hopefully you can show him these post so he can understand that cruising is so much fun.  I would also tell him, just go this ONE time and see. We are all going and if you TRULY don't like it then we will understand, but just go with an open mind about it. I think once he sees how amazing the Caribbean is he will like it.

Thank you so much for that wonderful and thought out reply. You are so kind. In fact, I failed to mention, he has been in one cruise with us(only adults) about 8 years ago in the Mediterranean. It was a smaller ship and he seemed to enjoy it despite trudging around Ephesus when it was about 95 degrees. So he does have some understanding of the ship but on a much smaller scale. He says he enjoyed that because, you know, so many ports daily in Europe. I think he is worried without a lot of ports he will be stuck on this ship in all the “lines”. But he is a very fit and active person and loves to be doing things so with his two boys it seemed like there would be endless things to do here. 

48 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

You're welcome and I'll add one more thought, rather than take our opinions on how to make him happy on the cruise and try to accommodate his feelings at the expense of the group I would suggest that for you as the host make it clear on what your offer is and what your intentions and expectations are.  You seem like a planner and possibly a worrier, that's OK I am too. But will you be able to enjoy the vacation you paid for and plan if the concern is always your SIL and his feelings?  That would be a shame.  I don't think it's appropriate to tell you do this or that, leave him home etc as we all have family drama.  Just trying to offer some suggestions, reading your posts it seems there is some history there with him and he's hard to please.  I don't think you're trying to control the situation, just trying to please others can often lead to unhappiness for you. 

They'll have a great time.

You are so very kind and I must say have hit the nail directly on the head with your description of me simply through my words. You are very astute. Yes I always want everyone to be happy and we planned on taking three extended family trips (gifted) after the passing of my father due to covid. I told my kids I want to see them enjoy the money as I know my father would have wished also. There definitely is history as he is an only child brought but by a very young mom so he tends to not really “think before he speaks” which has caused hurt feelings over many years now. Apologies as this is now turning into Dr Phil!!!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Wendylet said:

Thank you so much for that wonderful and thought out reply. You are so kind. In fact, I failed to mention, he has been in one cruise with us(only adults) about 8 years ago in the Mediterranean. It was a smaller ship and he seemed to enjoy it despite trudging around Ephesus when it was about 95 degrees. So he does have some understanding of the ship but on a much smaller scale. He says he enjoyed that because, you know, so many ports daily in Europe. I think he is worried without a lot of ports he will be stuck on this ship in all the “lines”. But he is a very fit and active person and loves to be doing things so with his two boys it seemed like there would be endless things to do here. 

Oh yea, if he is active and with the boys the Wonder is a great ship for him.  They have flow rider, zip line, rock wall, ping pong tables, full basketball court, putt putt, ice skating etc.  The Oasis class ships have so many things going on.  The Med. cruises are more ports usually but sea days are fun was well in the Caribbean.  Those days are the ones you can relax and catch up on sleep or find all the fun activities they offer.  Another tip on the sea days for Oasis class ship you can get free breakfast at Johnny Rockets, not a big wait to sit and they serve you.

If he enjoys Dad time and is active and fit, then Wonder has soooo much to do.  We just got off the March 5th Wonder cruise and it was full to the brim with young families.  I saw so many Dads spending time with their kids (suspect Mom wanted some quiet time 😉).  Saw many Grandmas and Grandpas spending time with their grands, too.  The ship was maxed out and while there were lines at mealtimes and when shows let out at the elevators, the crowds were pretty well spread out. The trick is to go to the venues either early or after prime time.  I truly hope that he decides to go and has an amazing time. Wouldn't that prove him wrong.