Shorts in the Dining Room??

Shazambilo

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

on 'formal' nights, I wear my black visor

I'm assuming this is a wind up, but in case it isn't, why do you need to wear a visor when eating dinner ?

Do the lights affect you, are you worried that you won't spot a waiter, or are you just making some sort of asinine point ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, tcdcruiser said:

I do not have a problem with your attire in the MDR.  Again, your choice. 

Speaking for myself, and only myself.......

When I ask for a reservation at a restaurant, and the restaurant shares their dress code I can proceed or decline.  My choice.

If I proceed, my personal standard of conduct would be to respect the restaurant's request.  If I were to accept the reservation offer and violate the condition, it would violate my personal standards.

Some have no standards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I'm assuming this is a wind up, but in case it isn't, why do you need to wear a visor when eating dinner ?

Do the lights affect you, are you worried that you won't spot a waiter, or are you just making some sort of asinine point ?

My father had terrible vision issues with lights and glare, and wore a visor anywhere and everywhere.  For him it was a medical necessity.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Man at the table next to us on the Crown last night had shorts on.To each their own. We'll see if he has formal shorts tonight. Also have seen ball caps in the MDR.

I saw this posted outside the dining room on Coral Princess:

Cruise Dining Attire Request-Small.jpg

If you think that is picky here is something from Princess from 1975:

1975 Princess Attire Snip.JPG

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 8

I was told that shorts were acceptable on the first and last nights of the cruise and was told to change my attire to enter the dining room.  The hostess on the Regal was apologetic when I reminded her of our encounter in the Nordic when I reminded her of the instance in the Caribbean, so I had to assure her that I was only kidding about the incident.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Shazambilo said:

I am going on my 1st Princess cruise next month, after going on 40+ cruises on other lines.  Are shorts allowed in the dining room at night (other than formal night)?

After 35+ cruises with Princess shorts in the MDR at breakfast & lunch allowed. Dinner it’s “Smart Casual?

Hope that this helps. 

Tom😀

13 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I am currently on the Island World Cruise 2023.  Last formal night I saw a gent wearing a suit coat, dress shirt and a bow tie if I recall and black shorts.  The shorts were NOT sports type shorts, but trouser material.  I thought it looked very odd and I am guessing he did it just to make a point.  To each their own I suppose. 

Perhaps in his mind he thought he was still 12 years old?

7 hours ago, julie3fan said:

My father had terrible vision issues with lights and glare, and wore a visor anywhere and everywhere.  For him it was a medical necessity.

Fair enough,  but I was not asking about your father. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Pretty much sums it up.  Shorts in the MDR will be rare and attention-grabbing.  People will notice.  Comments will be exchanged amongst dinner companions.  Heads will turn, and some heads will shake ever so slightly in disapproval.  Whether any of this concerns you is up to you.  

That's being a little over dramatic, I would say. 😄 Most times people are just busy with dinner to pay attention to what others are wearing, unless it a clown suit. 

Approve of it or not it's the way of the future on Princess and there's no turning back.

• Like 1

“Do you think a commoner should dare to dress like a blue blood?” Rhys asked as Quincy pulled the hem of the robe over his legs.

“I believe every man ought to dress as well as he is able.”

Rhys’s eyes narrowed. “Do you think it’s right for people to judge a man for what he wears?”

“It is not for me to decide whether it is right, sir. The fact is, they do.”
― Lisa Kleypas, Cold-Hearted Rake

Like it or not, people are judged/profiled for the image they project by how they dress for the occasion. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 555 said:

That's being a little over dramatic, I would say. 😄 Most times people are just busy with dinner to pay attention to what others are wearing, unless it a clown suit. 

Approve of it or not it's the way of the future on Princess and there's no turning back.

Recently sailed on Discovery Princess during holiday with lots of families aboard. Saw quite a few wearing shorts and ball caps on formal and dress to impress nights in the MDR. Didn't seem like anyone cared.

2 minutes ago, billco said:

Recently sailed on Discovery Princess during holiday with lots of families aboard. Saw quite a few wearing shorts and ball caps on formal and dress to impress nights in the MDR. Didn't seem like anyone cared.

Least of all, myself, but to imply that the whole dining room will take notice is ridiculous.

Maybe the comment was just sarcasm? 

I will comment that the dress code has dramatically changed in the last year or so to the more casual side which some people seem to have a problem with.  

14 minutes ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Already are (#4)

Actually #4 was totally non-judgmental, and merely stated the Princess policy,  before stating that shorts may be allowed in the MDR.

I think you are looking for an agenda where there is none. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Already are (#4)

Hey, post #4 was mine. I stated a true experience and the reason I quoted, rather than a link, was the the OP had never been on a Princess cruise before. Doing that and only that answered the OP's question. I usually try to be helpful in my posts. Inferring an agenda is reading into it.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Hey, post #4 was mine. I stated a true experience and the reason I quoted, rather than a link, was the the OP had never been on a Princess cruise before. Doing that and only that answered the OP's question. I usually try to be helpful in my posts. Inferring an agenda is reading into it.

Totally agree. I though your post was spot on, and entirely non-judgmental. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Probably showing my age, but when we were kids we could not wait until we could wear long pants 🙂

Remember the Patrick Dennis character in Auntie Mame at Christmas. “Oh boy Auntie Mame long pants can I put them on now ?”

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 1:10 PM, memoak said:

Some ships will allow it at dinner some will not

Exactly. I wouldn't do it unless it was lunch or breakfast. I'd rather not be embarrassed when I'm declined entrance. We've been exclusively Princess now for a few years but last fall we joined some friends on the Liberty of the Seas. Dinner time in the MDR was like the Golden Corral. Tee shirts and shorts everywhere. Of course, the food was not what I remembered it to be either. Anyway, I've not seen anyone wear shorts on any recent Princess cruise and in fact on our last cruise they turned someone away who was wearing a muscle shirt at lunch. So, as long as you don't mind being singled out (possibly) then go for it.

Edited by nbsjcruiser
  • Like 2