Shorts in the Dining Room??

Shazambilo

Do shorts qualify as "Smart Casual" which is the Princess MDR standard? No

Can you get away wearing shorts in the MDR?  Likely yes.

Will you be the odd man out? Yes

Will this be a very popular thread today? Yes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 11

Princess, relative to your previous cruises on RCI and Carnival, dress request is more traditional. 

I have personally seen men turned away from the Main Dining Room (MDR) for showing up in shorts.  The Princess website states that shorts, "are not welcome," in the dining room, though some will post they've gotten away with it.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 9

I am currently on the Island World Cruise 2023.  Last formal night I saw a gent wearing a suit coat, dress shirt and a bow tie if I recall and black shorts.  The shorts were NOT sports type shorts, but trouser material.  I thought it looked very odd and I am guessing he did it just to make a point.  To each their own I suppose. 

Edited by hpeabody
  • Haha 1

I am going with this being a legitimate question and the answer is 'maybe'. The official answer is probably 'no'  but it will vary by ship.  There's is a good chance you could get by first and last night, for other nights you will have to see. Not sure what other lines you have been sailing, but  Princess is not (yet) like NCL with a pretty casual attitude for dining room attire.  I will say I prefer NCL in that regard. On Princess my go-to is black pants and a nice top, my husband has been known to wear nice jeans but not shorts. 

• Like 1

I’ve been around here for a while….out of the one million threads regarding this topic, the answer should always be the same….check with your line’s website regarding dress codes.  The real question these people are asking is “can I get away with not complying”?  The answer to this should be…it’s possible, but if you aren’t interested in following their suggestions then take your chances or better yet find a cruise line that better fits your needs.

Done….you’re welcome. 😎

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

If it is the first night... yes.

Otherwise, I have seen men and women turned away for wearing shorts and/ or flip flops.

And this was on "casual" itineraries like Alaska and the East Coast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Some ships will allow it at dinner some will not

Man at the table next to us on the Crown last night had shorts on.To each their own. We'll see if he has formal shorts tonight. Also have seen ball caps in the MDR.

The "rules" say no.   However, If you are wearing a nice pair of resort casual shorts in the dining room you will probably be ok.  If you try to wear athletic shorts you will probably be turned away.

Someone will jump down my throat for suggesting this, however there are plenty of shorts out there that are lot nicer looking than some of the  "smart casual" pants people wear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tcdcruiser said:

May I assume the cap was worn backwards since it was not formal night?

on casual nights - I wear my khaki visor with white lettering with my khaki shorts and long sleeve white fishing shirt...  on 'formal' nights, I wear my black visor to match my black linen dress pants (drawstring), and again a white 'dress' fishing shirt ... and bottom it off with black leather brooks walking shoes...

if asked, I will take off my visor at the table, but only if asked

is that really a problem, and if so, why?

The Princess web site is just not up to what the ships are allowing lately. On both the Regal and Enchanted, shorts were allowed on casual evenings and just a dress shirt without a jacket seemed to be fine on formal evenings. 

You won't be the only person wearing shorts so don't worry.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I am currently on the Island World Cruise 2023.  Last formal night I saw a gent wearing a suit coat, dress shirt and a bow tie if I recall and black shorts.  The shorts were NOT sports type shorts, but trouser material.  I thought it looked very odd and I am guessing he did it just to make a point.  To each their own I suppose. 

I've seen it done on a Bermuda cruise but never on any other itinerary. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tcdcruiser said:

Can you get away wearing shorts in the MDR?  Likely yes.

Will you be the odd man out? Yes

Pretty much sums it up.  Shorts in the MDR will be rare and attention-grabbing.  People will notice.  Comments will be exchanged amongst dinner companions.  Heads will turn, and some heads will shake ever so slightly in disapproval.  Whether any of this concerns you is up to you.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, voljeep said:

on casual nights - I wear my khaki visor with white lettering with my khaki shorts and long sleeve white fishing shirt...  on 'formal' nights, I wear my black visor to match my black linen dress pants (drawstring), and again a white 'dress' fishing shirt ... and bottom it off with black leather brooks walking shoes...

if asked, I will take off my visor at the table, but only if asked

is that really a problem, and if so, why?

I do not have a problem with your attire in the MDR.  Again, your choice. 

Speaking for myself, and only myself.......

When I ask for a reservation at a restaurant, and the restaurant shares their dress code I can proceed or decline.  My choice.

If I proceed, my personal standard of conduct would be to respect the restaurant's request.  If I were to accept the reservation offer and violate the condition, it would violate my personal standards.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

The way the dining rooms are set up now with people coming and going at different times I really don't care anymore what one wears.   Not the same as it was with early and late seating.    The old dining ways are long gone.   Either accept it or look for another form of vacation.   

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

I have personally seen men turned away from the Main Dining Room (MDR) for showing up in shorts. 

Same here.  In fact, it was my brother-in-law.  He knew about the "no shorts" thing, but he's a troublemaker and decided he was going to give it a shot.  He got so mad they told him to change he never visited the MDR at all during the remainder of the cruise.

His loss.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2