Final price increased by over $3,000 celebrity refuses to honor it.

andydunn

58 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

Unless this is for the retreat it looks to me to be a pretty "average" deal for a 7 day cruise.  If it cost $7000+ for anything below the retreat it would be an empty ship.

It was an aqua class room

11 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Yet another reason to book through a TA.

Exactly why I would never book direct with any cruise line. The cruise lines salespeople work for the cruise line and they have no incentive to advocate for the customers when there is a problem like the OP has. My TA works for ME and she knows if she doesn't deal with problems she will lose my business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Just curious if your confirmation has your correct address on it.  I just looked at confirmations I have received and the strange thing is that they have our street address and United States but no city or state.  Very strange that they have promos that are not applicable to certain states.

Interesting. We've got 2 bookings and one (September 2023 Alaska) has our street address but no city/state, and the other (May 2024 Southampton) has Royal Caribbean's FL street address listed where our address should be and still no city/state.

Edited by PH2

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Exactly why I would never book direct with any cruise line. The cruise lines salespeople work for the cruise line and they have no incentive to advocate for the customers when there is a problem like the OP has. My TA works for ME and she knows if she doesn't deal with problems she will lose my business.

I agree stopped booking direct years ago. Found it too hard to deal with different answers from Celebrity plus the wait time. I can just email my TA and she takes care of it or call and she answers the phone or calls me back the same day. The bonus is group rates and we always get extra OBC over what Celebrity gives. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is very unfortunate.

Another cruiser had prices changed on them because the price was an "error" on Celebrity's behalf. This was the Silhouette in 2024/25 for which the threads about the price change have all been removed.

Upon escalation, a corporate representative informed the guest that Celebrity has the ability to change the price of a booking at any time for any reason. An example being, Celebrity claims they can retroactively remove a residential offer if they so choose.

I hope this gets resolved, but Celebrity asserts that they can charge whatever they want. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but after I heard this information, I am much more uneasy about booking any future cruises.

35 minutes ago, TrueCruiseaholic said:

This is very unfortunate.

Another cruiser had prices changed on them because the price was an "error" on Celebrity's behalf. This was the Silhouette in 2024/25 for which the threads about the price change have all been removed.

Upon escalation, a corporate representative informed the guest that Celebrity has the ability to change the price of a booking at any time for any reason. An example being, Celebrity claims they can retroactively remove a residential offer if they so choose.

I hope this gets resolved, but Celebrity asserts that they can charge whatever they want. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but after I heard this information, I am much more uneasy about booking any future cruises.

IMO, all cruise lines have the same contractual language. This is from NCL:

16. Guarantee and Rate

All prices are quoted in $AUD/$NZD (as applicable, depending on where you purchase your ticket) and are correct at the time of publication or until the end of the phone call (as applicable), unless otherwise stated.  Once we have received your deposit or full payment, the cruise rate is secure, except in the event of substantial increases in operating costs, tariffs or government or quasi-government taxes and fees (including port charges and taxes) that are beyond Norwegian's control.  In such cases, we reserve the right to add a surcharge, whether you have confirmed a booking under deposit or have made final payment. We will notify you before any such surcharge is added to your cruise fare. To the extent permitted by law, we reserve the right not to honor any published prices that we determine are erroneous due to printing, electronic or clerical error.

• Thanks 1

https://www.celebritycruises.com/legal-information

17. Reliance on Information Posted

The information presented on or through the Digital Platforms is made available solely for general information purposes. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of this information. Any reliance you place on such information is strictly at your own risk. We disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such materials by you or any other visitor to the Digital Platforms, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents.

We may update the content on this Digital Platforms from time to time, but its content is not necessarily complete or up-to-date. Any of the material on the Digital Platforms may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update such material.

At least with regard to the celebritycruises.com website, Celebrity has a legal disclaimer stating that they are not legally bound by any of the published information on the website (e.g. prices or promotions).

I would suggest anyone concerned about this to call Celebrity and ask if Celebrity has the right to change the cruise fare (again, what they have already told other guests).

https://www.royalcaribbeangroup.com/contact-us/

• Thanks 1

Update: the email to the office of the president got a return call today. They asked me if I would continue with the booking at the original price and I told them I would. They are investigating and will get back to me tomorrow. Also DM on twitter also got me a response but not quite as fast as that email.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, andydunn said:

Update: the email to the office of the president got a return call today. They asked me if I would continue with the booking at the original price and I told them I would. They are investigating and will get back to me tomorrow. Also DM on twitter also got me a response but not quite as fast as that email.

I have been following your thread. 

I really, *really* hope Celebrity does the right thing. You should get exactly what you paid for. 

I think we all want to see a happy ending to your journey...a journey that you really shouldn't have had to take. 

Good luck to you and your family!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrueCruiseaholic said:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/legal-information

17. Reliance on Information Posted

The information presented on or through the Digital Platforms is made available solely for general information purposes. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of this information. Any reliance you place on such information is strictly at your own risk. We disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such materials by you or any other visitor to the Digital Platforms, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents.

We may update the content on this Digital Platforms from time to time, but its content is not necessarily complete or up-to-date. Any of the material on the Digital Platforms may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update such material.

At least with regard to the celebritycruises.com website, Celebrity has a legal disclaimer stating that they are not legally bound by any of the published information on the website (e.g. prices or promotions).

I would suggest anyone concerned about this to call Celebrity and ask if Celebrity has the right to change the cruise fare (again, what they have already told other guests).

https://www.royalcaribbeangroup.com/contact-us/

I still (and always have been) am amazed that companies can get away with this crapola. 

"We can put up whatever we want but are not responsible for it. We don't have to make sure of what we post for consumption nor put safeguards in place to prevent any misunderstandings by our customers. They believe us at their own risk."

Ridiculous... 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, andydunn said:

This seems promising.  Thanks for the update.  Fingers crossed you are on your sailing next week!

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 3:51 PM, Dar & Bob said:

Just curious if your confirmation has your correct address on it.  I just looked at confirmations I have received and the strange thing is that they have our street address and United States but no city or state.  Very strange that they have promos that are not applicable to certain states.

db - X offers, from time to time, special rates for certain states..

As I understand it, FL residents are offered special rates often, so it may pay to check when doing a 'trial' booking online or ask your TA, if you use one...

bon voyage

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Have you considered calling your state's consumer protection agency affiliated with your State Attorney General's office?

Is the state FL or one of the others that Celebrity cruises from?  Still not likely to help but who knows.

15 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Have you considered calling your state's consumer protection agency affiliated with your State Attorney General's office?

Calling the state's AG office?

X can say that the fare shown was not a valid fare for the resident of another state, NOW if the OP has proof in the form of the email and invoice confirming that they did not put in an incorrect state, there could be legs to stand on.

While a long shot, I do not think any AG office will do anything about this situation unless there are a few additional complaints about this type of situation.

X was correcting a mistake fare and cannot be compelled to honour it, although I must say a few years ago a TA gave me a mistake fare and I paid in full right away.

When found, between X and the TA they ate the difference after I proved that I paid what  was quoted, full well knowing that by all (X's T&C's) rights, I most likely needed to pay the additional... or cancel. My compromise was to give up some OBC to show good faith...

In the end all worked out for sure as everyone was happy and I sailed...

bon voyage

• Thanks 1

Meant to post this here, not the other thread...

As someone who works in an industry that deals with consumer complaints quite often, it can certainly help to make a call to a state regulatory agency or the BBB as a means of putting pressure on a company to relent. It may not work every time, but bad PR is a thing. If it's egregious enough (and I don't know that this one is), a call to the local news "On Your Side" reporter who regularly does features about helping people seemingly shafted by a business can also help move a solution along. It may be worth the company swallowing an incorrect fare to avoid a bad PR hit and to make the most of turning bad PR into an opportunity to turn it into good (or at least less bad) PR.

• Like 2

Something similar happened to me a few weeks back when I booked a cruise for my husband and myself. I found it strange that once I entered my own personal information that the next page immediately changed to the statement with the bill/charges. It showed the charges for two persons, the discount (FL resident), and another credit. I paid with my card. Then the next screen was requesting I add the 2nd passenger in the cabin. I completed that. The next screen then took me to the same statement page but had added an additional $4000+ at the bottom....due immediately.

I immediately called them, stated the problem and was put on hold for 45 minutes. When the gal came back on the phone she was extremely apologetic for keeping me on hold for so long but that she was unable to correct the problem but would put me on the call with another person. Again I was put on hold for another 45 minutes but this time the person was able to agree with the original charges and removed the additional charge. They both were very kind and apologetic.

I suggest continuing the conversation with Celebrity. You should eventually get someone who is more familiar with the occasional failures of their booking system.

And yes, I am aware that a travel agent could have sorted through this with greater ease but when I called her she was on her very own holiday...camping. No really available at the time.

Edited by iceleven

On 3/29/2023 at 5:20 AM, ChucktownSteve said:

This! Although it usually takes a long time until a case is resolved through the AG's office. Contacting the Executive Office is usually better and if this fails then the only way is usually to take legal action as all the AG's office does is to advocate on your behalf. They don't enforce anything.

Whenever I get an (in my eyes) excellent deal then I pay the full price straight away and don't leave the final payment for later. Full payment completed, no way for the provider to wiggle out of the contract.

Always better to use a TA so they can make sure things like this don’t happen. Keep trying but they are still running some promos. Maybe you should consider a different cabin. Brumuda is just like staying in a hotel for 3 of the days.  What about getting an outside window cabin.  

19 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Calling the state's AG office?

X can say that the fare shown was not a valid fare for the resident of another state, NOW if the OP has proof in the form of the email and invoice confirming that they did not put in an incorrect state, there could be legs to stand on.

While a long shot, I do not think any AG office will do anything about this situation unless there are a few additional complaints about this type of situation.

X was correcting a mistake fare and cannot be compelled to honour it, although I must say a few years ago a TA gave me a mistake fare and I paid in full right away.

When found, between X and the TA they ate the difference after I proved that I paid what  was quoted, full well knowing that by all (X's T&C's) rights, I most likely needed to pay the additional... or cancel. My compromise was to give up some OBC to show good faith...

In the end all worked out for sure as everyone was happy and I sailed...

bon voyage

Bo, Thank you for your response.  However I suspect your post may all speculation.  Are you familiar with how all the different state's Consumer Protection departments operate?  Even if the end result is no difference in fare, they may be making the cruise line jump through hoops responding to the complaint.   However depending upon state law where the OP is located, it may have a positive affect. 

One thing is sure. If you don't ask or try, you're guaranteed nothing will happen.

• Thanks 1

My situation is of a smaller $ amount change but thought I would mention it.  I had a question while looking at my cruise online. At that time my fully paid amount was correct and the OBC was correct.  I then was speaking to the Celebrity agent and she mentioned I owed another $200.  I, of course, questioned it and she came back after quite awhile and said I had to speak to someone in Blue Chip.  While I was waiting for 1-1/2 hrs I noticed that my OBC was also reduced by almost 70%.

I explained the issue(trying to be calm) and then waited another 1/2 hr and they explained that it was a mistake and they returned everything back to what it should be. There explanation was that sometimes when someone looks at their screen things change.  Really??

Not sure what is going on with Celebrity these days.

I wonder how many people just give up trying to get it fixed if they cannot wait hours and if only a "few" dollars.  Or maybe they do not even check the website often to make sure all is as it should be.

Do hope your situation gets resolved. Does not seem right.

Cruise has been reestablished at the original price thanks to the email to the 'office of the president'. The person I spoke to said the CS reps should have escalated until they solved the problem and apologized. 'something' was changed by 'someone' that caused all the discounts to drop off but they were able to fix that. I have no better details that that 😀

All is good in the world.. off to Bermuds

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, andydunn said:

Cruise has been reestablished at the original price thanks to the email to the 'office of the president'. The person I spoke to said the CS reps should have escalated until they solved the problem and apologized. 'something' was changed by 'someone' that caused all the discounts to drop off but they were able to fix that. I have no better details that that 😀

All is good in the world.. off to Bermuds

All's well that ends well, thanks to LLP's angels of mercy. 👼 

• Haha 1