Minors losing their Diamond status…

I'm just curious why the daughter is 25 years old, and the mother is still trying to manage her?  Should the daughter not be the one calling and taking care of things? The cruise line shouldn't even be talking to the mother at all, once they discover it is not her account.  

I don't think a person should keep the status they were when they become of age.  Think of a kid, having one cruise and getting to be Diamond Plus.  They need to work on their own status, like everyone else, but I do agree, they should keep any points they got on their own.  

I also don't think people living together should be matched either.  They should only be matched if they are legally together though marriage or other legal ways. 

• Like 6

It happened to us but may have been different. Our daughter cruised with us at age 20 and was diamond. After the cruise she was reduced to Emerald. It turned out that they reduced her to the status I was at the last time she had cruised wirh me so was fair.

1 hour ago, Candleonwater said:

That seems pretty cut and dried? I think it's only fair. I'm all for allowing dependents to share their parents status, while they are dependents, but then kick them out of the nest and let them earn it on their own.

Will Royal inform the individual(s) affected or wait till they are on board as the Op experienced.

Wonder how many of these inherited individuals actually sail.  Maybe Royal should cull them out and grandfather those that actually sail.  Going forward follow whatever the rules are.

12 hours ago, Candleonwater said:

DD was told, if she and her boyfriend break up, she can have his matching status revoked...

Many use the match to get their current casual boyfriend/girlfriend matching status. 

That was not the intent.    Originally the match was only for spouse.  Royal added partner or significant other as  at that time there were single gender couples who could not get married. It was an effort to make the match equal for all couples. 

Now everyone uses the match to get their current date the matching status.  Rarely is the status revoked and now the old boyfriend who  took one cruise is  Diamond and retains  that.  Then he brings his new girlfriend on a cruise, and she is matched as D as well.  You can easily see how the program has gotten out of control. 

M

• Like 8

Just now, nelblu said:

Will Royal inform the individual(s) affected or wait till they are on board as the Op experienced.

This report is likely a very rare event - neither RCI, C&A nor the LA would ever normally contact you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

I know someone who went with her pinnacle grandma as her "carer" and ended up as Pinnacle status. No idea how this happened as i was under the impression it cut off at Diamond Plus. 

There are very few underage Pinnacles.  In fact, most of them are highlighted here, on other social media sites and even on Royal Caribbean sites as it is quite rare.   All that I am aware of have cruised to earn the 700 pointed needed. 

I would be interested to learn more about the person you know.   

M

18 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Many use the match to get their current casual boyfriend/girlfriend matching status. 

That was not the intent.    Originally the match was only for spouse.  Royal added partner or significant other as  at that time there were single gender couples who could not get married. It was an effort to make the match equal for all couples. 

Now everyone uses the match to get their current date the matching status.  Rarely is the status revoked and now the old boyfriend who  took one cruise is  Diamond and retains  that.  Then he brings his new girlfriend on a cruise, and she is matched as D as well.  You can easily see how the program has gotten out of control. 

M

I agree as far as it should not apply to casual relationships. I think, with any sort of program, people will always find a way to cheat it.  Kind of a pain in the butt to contain it. Old boyfriend shouldn't be able to have new girlfriend match based on his matched status, etc.  As far as DD's boyfriend, RCL made her jump through hoops to prove they actually live together, and it's not just a casual relationship.

19 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

This report is likely a very rare event - neither RCI, C&A nor the LA would ever normally contact you.

So, any possible demotion will be a surprise.😟  Also, wondering if Royal follows the rules to a tee, and demotion occurs will a Royal Brainiac accountant adjust the balcony discount on any booked cruises.

12 hours ago, twangster said:

If they are taken out of the relationship then they would not be eligible for any status other than their natural status.

...the dependents record will be adjusted "back" to the appropriate tier status.

This is ambiguous because it doesn't define what "appropriate tier status" is supposed to be.  The frozen level or the earned by their own actual points level?

I disagree that it isn't clear what the appropriate status would be . It states "adjusted back".. so if not that doesn't mean adjusted to their actual points earned what would the 'back' possibly be referring to ?

8 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Also, wondering if Royal follows the rules to a tee, and demotion occurs will a Royal Brainiac accountant adjust the balcony discount on any booked cruises.

It's very unlikely any existing booking would be affected - they only consider the rate at the time of booking. This issue is really quite minor - the chances of anyone being demoted (including changes with spouses/partners), despite reports here, are probably quite small.

Edited by Biker19

From the Department of Inconsistently Inconsistent, we took a family cruise about 10 years ago with our son and daughter and their spouses. My DIL called Royal to match her status with my son's and they immediately demoted him. My daughter didn't call to match her husband so he sailed gold and she sailed Diamond without the requisite points. The topper was when we found out my daughter had been taking her hubby to the DL all week. We purposely avoided the DL because my son and his wife couldn't go. We wondered why they were always late for dinner. 🙄🤣

Edited by Big_G
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

M

And remember that casual cruiser ex boyfriend not only gives his new GF D status, it also passes to his GF’s minor children.

4 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

I know someone who went with her pinnacle grandma as her "carer" and ended up as Pinnacle status. No idea how this happened as i was under the impression it cut off at Diamond Plus. 

The only way I think this could have happened was they checked the wrong box and stated they were married or a couple living together.

Edited by A&L_Ont

9 hours ago, RobInMN said:

What @Blur said.

I'm not going to look it up, but there was a thread a couple summers ago with a discussion about how the status matching was infinitely recursive. Parents to children to spouses to grandchildren, their spouses, step kids, then in divorce, everyone keeping the unearned status, then their new kids would get it, etc. It is absolutely ridiculous.

That said, having matching status within a family group as they are traveling together in a single group makes sense to me. If even say, regardless of age. Maybe get rid of permanent matching status, and just say all family members get the status of the highest status family member traveling? 

A and B are married, they are Diamond and they have 2 children C and D

A and B divorce,

A marries E who has 2 children F and G. They all become Diamond.

B moves in with H, who has 4 children, J, K L and M.  They all become Diamond. 

C, D, F, G grow up and marry.. their spouses become Diamond. 
etc. etc. 

The existing system is ridiculous! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

So, any possible demotion will be a surprise.😟  Also, wondering if Royal follows the rules to a tee, and demotion occurs will a Royal Brainiac accountant adjust the balcony discount on any booked cruises.

That ssumes RCI will ever not run a sale where the balcony discount will actually apply...

Although I was looking a little into this and found in the paragraph above the one cited above:

A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described above.

I wonder if the adult child used an address different than the parents and that is why it kicked her down to her actual tier.  The above language does not seem to limit the age of the child, just that they remain in the same household/address.

Edited by The Scurvy Pirate
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, rrraydon said:

On the Anthem currently.

My daughter was Diamond like I was while she cruised with me as a minor. She is now over 18…25 years old. When we boarded, her card said Diamond. She got a call today in her cabin from the Loyalty Ambassador on the Anthem informing her she can no longer hold Diamond status as she doesn’t have enough points for that on her own. She informed her she will be “demoted” after this cruise is over. 😔

Well, yeah.  

I thought the rule was, MINORS match their parents' loyalty level.  Once she's no longer a minor, the rule wouldn't apply to her.  It never really helped or hurt me, but that's how I assumed it worked.  

I had this happen to both my sons way back in 2008 after a family cruise.  They were both well over 18.

Just so happens that I enrolled them in C&A in 1994 when we took a family cruise out of San Pedro.  After reaching Diamond, I received a letter listing all four of us with our C&A numbers, congratulating us.

I went head-to-head with Customer Service in 2008, as I still had that letter.  I argued with them for a good 15 minutes, telling them I would be more than happy to send a copy of that letter, with the C&A numbers, on the RCCL letterhead, with the date that my sons reached Diamond status.  Or, they could write me another letter, with all the same info, telling me exactly why they WEREN'T Diamond anymore.

A supervisor finally agreed with me. 

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

It's very unlikely any existing booking would be affected - they only consider the rate at the time of booking. This issue is really quite minor - the chances of anyone being demoted (including changes with spouses/partners), despite reports here, are probably quite small.

Unless there is a renewed focus being placed on the subject by the new director and/or CEO.

Somewhere on a spreadsheet the cost of the Crown and Anchor Society is listed as a line item.  With the new CEO of RCG, who is a numbers guy by trade, along with a new CAS director, who has to explain and account for the cost of the CAS, there may be a new push to reduce the annual cost of the CAS. 

They can reduce benefits or cut down on the number of members in the more costly tiers.  One way or another they will be taking steps, like eliminating crystal blocks, to reduce the cost of the CAS.  Eliminating blocks didn't last long so something else has to give. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Unless there is a renewed focus being placed on the subject by the new director and/or CEO.

I just don't see going as far as finding C&A customers due to be demoted and then try to claw back the somewhat minor amounts of balcony discount on an existing booking - that seems so petty/desperate.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

That ssumes RCI will ever not run a sale where the balcony discount will actually apply..

Not sure in your case but it works for me as D+ and a combination of $250/$188 balcony discount and solo supplement of 340 points.  Except where a group fare applies.

18 hours ago, kruzerci said:

If she didn’t have more the points, she shouldn’t be Diamond. No other loyalty program works like that. I agree with the decision. 

I kinda of agree because if both parents get points it is because they paid for it not the kids.

I think the kids should get half points.  

• Like 1