Booking our first SS cruise

tfred

We are booking our first SS cruise. May 2024 Venice to Rome 10 nights 

We have been cruising Celebrity Retreat (suite) rooms after we retired and like it.  The Med cruise on SS was actually the same price as a Celebrity Med Retreat 10 nighter, the bonus was that SS had excursions and airport transport included.  The Celebrity port choice was also the bigger ports with all the big port hassles of bus rides and more people

Some questions

We are probably going to book direct (as we normally do - also no real relationship with a TA.  We have a neighbor that does it but I dont know the advantage to us - other than him getting the commission )   Any disadvantage booking direct?

We would book Classic Veranda.  Any advantage booking next level up?

The flight program wasn't available for some reason.  We would spend a few weeks before and after anyway.  My concern in general is weird routings - has that been an issue on SS?  Its a year off so I dont have an issue finding flights on my own

Prices ever go down or special promotions that I would be protected on?

Sport coat needed?  Acceptable? on this route

General quality of the included excursions on SS?

Thanks 

Welcome to the Silversea forum.  I’ll respond to the TA question.  A good TA can save you money, time and headache.  If they are affiliated with a large consortium there can be perks such as comped hotel nights, hotel upgrades, usually breakfast included and hotel credits.  They can search flights for you and book.  They can call SS on your behalf with questions you may have.  If you were using SS Air that is especially important as they can be difficult to contact.  A well-travelled TA can offer excellent advice on itinerary pre and post cruise hotel/guide recommendations and airport transport.  It’s definitely worth having an advocate if there are problems before or during your travels.  

I have an extensive trip coming up and my TA provided an extra hotel night and a full day private tour in my final city.  Breakfast is always included and we almost always have an upgraded room or suite and hotel credit along with early check-in and late check-out.

If your neighbor’s TA can provide most of these perks and if they are happy with the service that could be a good place to start and your neighbor will probably reap a small reward for the referral.  

Find a good TA by doing some research. Unfortunately we can’t recommend on here.  Most will agree, the SS TAs are very very good at taking your deposit as quickly as possible. Not so good at much else. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tfred said:

Any disadvantage booking direct?

Several disadvantages.  Folks above have provided good advice.

4 hours ago, tfred said:

None, as far as Verandas are concerned, other than location.  The suites are identical.  Just depends on where you want to be on your chosen ship.

4 hours ago, tfred said:

My concern in general is weird routings - has that been an issue on SS? 

Yes, it has been an issue for some.  Do a search of this forum and you'll find the examples.

4 hours ago, tfred said:

Visit the Silversea website and familiarize yourself with their programs.  All the detail is there for you to research at your leisure.

4 hours ago, tfred said:

Needed?  Depends where you wish to dine and what the dress code is that for that evening.  

Acceptable?  Always.

4 hours ago, tfred said:

You get what you pay for.  Overall quality is hit or miss.

All I can add, it’s better to use a good TA—the benefits aren’t something to toss out.  Besides the $ perks, mid something goes wrong they can handle it better than you going to Silversea yourself.  Remember you’re just one person, a TA most likely have a few hundred Silversea customers.  They don’t want to loss that business.

• Like 1

I totally agree! I wouldn't trade my travel agent of 20+ years for anything - she or he can get you out of many snafu's around the globe. Find a good one through friends & neighbors' recommendations.   A trusted & reliable TA is worth her/his weight in gold.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, riandei said:

A good TA saves $ and is priceless.

If you cannot get a personal referral, Find one that deals volume with SS.

Or carry on blindly believing that your SS cruise consultant despite taking your deposit at record speeds and can never be reached again has your best interests at heart. Horses for courses.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 4:07 PM, riandei said:

A good TA saves $ and is priceless.

If you cannot get a personal referral, Find one that deals volume with SS.

How does one “find one that deals volume with SS”?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sunny429 said:

How does one “find one that deals volume with SS”?

You can't ask directly here, and we are 1st timers ourselves anyway, but on the line we travel frequently, we are able to compose a few questions for others that they can use to screen for an agency that is particularly knowledgeable about that line.  Only those closest to a particular line are, for example, able to accurately and without research answer certain kinds of questions about shipboard specifics re anomolous cabin layouts, procedures, etc. 

I'll bet there are SS veterans here who could compile a short list that might reveal this.

While there may be benefits to using a travel agent they are pretty thin on the ground these days, especially if you are after an agent that does many cruises AND with a particular cruise line. I have not used an agent for any travel, personal or business, since the nineties.

If you can't identify an agent easily, you may want to go ahead anyway with direct booking rather than miss the cruise.

I have booked my second SS cruise directly. I may have lost some benefits, but maybe I make it up by arranging my own flights.

As far as the sports coat is concerned- I plan to have a look at what others do and maybe go to one of the other restaurants if the sports coat and tie isn't enough. Personally I have not owned a dark suit since...actually I can't remember ever owning a dark suit. I've heard about things called tuxedos but have never actually experienced one.

Edited by pavementends
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've explored booking our upcoming cruise direct compared to a TA - they both came back with the same deal.  I also had a TA in the US see if he could do any better, but he was surprised when he came back with the same deal.

We are a bit horrified at the size of the deposit we have to pay for an itinerary in September next year!

9 hours ago, AusMum said:

It's about half I think, or a bit more. It's around $11,000 each!  If we pay in full now we get 15% off the fare.

The deposit itself is 11 grand???  For each of you? The normal deposit is 15% of the cruise price. 

Maybe I am out of touch but that seems like a awlfully BIG deposit, (Unless the cruise is nearly $75,000 per person). I have never been on an Expedition cruise.....maybe they are VERY expensive compared to the Classic cruises.

On 5/11/2023 at 11:32 PM, AusMum said:

I've explored booking our upcoming cruise direct compared to a TA - they both came back with the same deal.  I also had a TA in the US see if he could do any better, but he was surprised when he came back with the same deal.

So did the Silversea direct booking offer you a substantial rebate/obc off the list price fare? 

Or maybe I should be asking did the TA not offer you a substantial rebate/obc off the list price fare? 

Interesting, as I know Australian based TAs who offer such rebates so what you’re reporting surprises me

On 3/28/2023 at 10:16 AM, tfred said:

We are booking our first SS cruise. May 2024 Venice to Rome 10 nights 

We have been cruising Celebrity Retreat (suite) rooms after we retired and like it.  The Med cruise on SS was actually the same price as a Celebrity Med Retreat 10 nighter, the bonus was that SS had excursions and airport transport included.  The Celebrity port choice was also the bigger ports with all the big port hassles of bus rides and more people

Some questions

We are probably going to book direct (as we normally do - also no real relationship with a TA.  We have a neighbor that does it but I dont know the advantage to us - other than him getting the commission )   Any disadvantage booking direct?

The flight program wasn't available for some reason.  We would spend a few weeks before and after anyway.  My concern in general is weird routings - has that been an issue on SS?  Its a year off so I dont have an issue finding flights on my own

Thanks 

Just FYI - personally I'd take a coat & a tie.  There are places to eat every night where you don't need one or both, but why limit yourself just to avoid taking 2 articles?  I think you'll enjoy yourself more if you have them just IMHO.  enjoy

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mitz18 said:

Just FYI - personally I'd take a coat & a tie.  There are places to eat every night where you don't need one or both, but why limit yourself just to avoid taking 2 articles?  I think you'll enjoy yourself more if you have them just IMHO.  enjoy

SS still has one of the most "formal" dress codes of any cruise line at this point. You will want a jacket, and if you have a jacket that matches a pair of pants, and a tie, you will be able to eat in any of the restaurants since it can pass as a suit in the dim light of dinner. On an Amazon River cruise from Barbados to Barbados, we had 2 formal nights, which meant suites and cocktail dresses as a minimum. Tux and gown were also worn, but we got by with the almost matching jacket and pants with tie, and a dressy dress. We also felt more comfortable dressing up at La Dame, the French restaurant that has an additional charge.

If you want to dress casual, your choices will be limited, and you may end up eating in your cabin if the weather prevents the use of the pool grill area since the more casual options will be in high demand.

8 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

SS still has one of the most "formal" dress codes of any cruise line at this point. You will want a jacket, and if you have a jacket that matches a pair of pants, and a tie, you will be able to eat in any of the restaurants since it can pass as a suit in the dim light of dinner. On an Amazon River cruise from Barbados to Barbados, we had 2 formal nights, which meant suites and cocktail dresses as a minimum. Tux and gown were also worn, but we got by with the almost matching jacket and pants with tie, and a dressy dress. We also felt more comfortable dressing up at La Dame, the French restaurant that has an additional charge.

If you want to dress casual, your choices will be limited, and you may end up eating in your cabin if the weather prevents the use of the pool grill area since the more casual options will be in high demand.

Yep & that’s why we love SS. 

• Haha 1