What are the things you ''ALWAYS'' do on a cruise that other people dont.

DarrenM

Well, I don't know if other people do this or not.  I pick my cabin very carefully because I spend a lot of time there.  I cruise to relax as well as 'see the sights'.  My idea of a perfect day is to order breakfast the night before, sleep until I wake up, have my coffee out on the balcony (I make it myself) and think great thoughts until breakfast arrives.  Maybe I'll read for an hour, or putz around on my laptop.  Get out the door for a nice long walk around the ship, then get cleaned up and take a shore excursion somewhere. When I get hungry, I head off to a bar for some champagne and conversation, then make a nice little dinner in the buffet.  Occasionally the MDR or another restaurant.  If there's entertainment I like, that's great, otherwise back to my cabin for more reading and relaxing with more champagne.  Pretty dull, eh?  I love it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lidodeck03 said:

I eat Pickled Herring (fish) when available on the buffet. 

Ah, but dare you eat lutefisk?

(Lutefisk is cod or other suitable fish, fermented in lye. Lye is traditionally made by pouring water through wood ash, and is highly caustic.)

10 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Well, I don't know if other people do this or not.  I pick my cabin very carefully because I spend a lot of time there.  I cruise to relax as well as 'see the sights'.  My idea of a perfect day is to order breakfast the night before, sleep until I wake up, have my coffee out on the balcony (I make it myself) and think great thoughts until breakfast arrives.  Maybe I'll read for an hour, or putz around on my laptop.  Get out the door for a nice long walk around the ship, then get cleaned up and take a shore excursion somewhere. When I get hungry, I head off to a bar for some champagne and conversation, then make a nice little dinner in the buffet.  Occasionally the MDR or another restaurant.  If there's entertainment I like, that's great, otherwise back to my cabin for more reading and relaxing with more champagne.  Pretty dull, eh?  I love it!

I like this very much, except..........I couldnt order breakfast the night before. I have no idea what I want for breakfast until i get there.

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I like this very much, except..........I couldnt order breakfast the night before. I have no idea what I want for breakfast until i get there.

It helps that I'm not a 'breakfast eater'.  Pastries, milk, coffee, juice, fruit and I'm all set.  Not really hungry until later in the morning, so it's all there waiting for me when I'm ready.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Have it your way! Sounds divine to me!!

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 6:15 PM, lahlah57 said:

Oh c'mon....maybe she would buy you your own 😉

They would have to be clip-ons.  No way someone is sticking a needle thru my ear lobe.   🙂

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

They would have to be clip-ons.  No way someone is sticking a needle thru my ear lobe.   🙂

Clip ons can be lovely. In fact, I sometimes put vintage clip ons on shoes as a decoration.
("vintage" as in picked up from a thrift store.) (or ebay)

Edited by JVes
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 10:32 PM, JVes said:

Ah, but dare you eat lutefisk?

(Lutefisk is cod or other suitable fish, fermented in lye. Lye is traditionally made by pouring water through wood ash, and is highly caustic.)

I eat Lutefisk whenever I can find it. Have never seen it on a cruise, maybe they would have it in port at one of the Scandinavian countries. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lidodeck03 said:

I eat Lutefisk whenever I can find it. Have never seen it on a cruise, maybe they would have it in port at one of the Scandinavian countries. 

I remember hearing that there are some places west of Seattle that have it.

5 hours ago, JVes said:

To be honest, I've never eaten lutefisk. But I love Vegemite.

I accidentally tried it on a cruiseship thinking it was jam.

All I asked myself after I got my tasebuds together was.........WHY?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You don't spread it as thickly as you do jam. No wonder it tasted gross. Treat it more like hot sauce, only pretend you've never had hot sauce before. (That's your why. I like vegemite the same way Texans like hot sauce.)

When giving it to someone who's never eaten it, I put it on toast with plenty of butter. I take a little bit on the knife and make a smear.

Me, I can eat it by the teaspoon. In fact at one point I was deficient in one of the vitamins that's readily available in vegemite (I think B-complex?), and the family doctor "prescribed" be a teaspoon of vegemite every day. I'd sit down with my homework, with a teaspoon of vegemite on a saucer beside me. Eventually I'd just pop the teaspoon in my mouth and treat it like a lollipop.

Word to the wise. Marmite is not an acceptable substitute.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 7:24 PM, JVes said:

You don't spread it as thickly as you do jam. No wonder it tasted gross. Treat it more like hot sauce, only pretend you've never had hot sauce before. (That's your why. I like vegemite the same way Texans like hot sauce.)

When giving it to someone who's never eaten it, I put it on toast with plenty of butter. I take a little bit on the knife and make a smear.

Me, I can eat it by the teaspoon. In fact at one point I was deficient in one of the vitamins that's readily available in vegemite (I think B-complex?), and the family doctor "prescribed" be a teaspoon of vegemite every day. I'd sit down with my homework, with a teaspoon of vegemite on a saucer beside me. Eventually I'd just pop the teaspoon in my mouth and treat it like a lollipop.

Word to the wise. Marmite is not an acceptable substitute.

So there is an art to trying the stuff. I'll give it another shot as you suggest. A whole teaspoon is a no, no and no! 

I bring and use a sextant with me, over the past few cruises I've gotten better and better at correctly plotting our location. It's becoming a lost art in modern times, and only seems to attract the attention of older gentlemen who served in a navy at a time when it was wooden ships and iron men (as opposed to today which is iron ships and wooden men.)    

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

I bring and use a sextant with me, over the past few cruises I've gotten better and better at correctly plotting our location. It's becoming a lost art in modern times, and only seems to attract the attention of older gentlemen who served in a navy at a time when it was wooden ships and iron men (as opposed to today which is iron ships and wooden men.)    

Am I the only one relieved to hear more detail of what a sextant is?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

Am I the only one relieved to hear more detail of what a sextant is?

A very early Ocean Celestial Navigational device commonly used by sailors (predating GPS)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sextant#:~:text=The principle of the instrument,and naval officer Gago Coutinho.

Edited by Davechipp74
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

So there is an art to trying the stuff. I'll give it another shot as you suggest. A whole teaspoon is a no, no and no! 

Thank you for being open-minded (open-mouthed?) enough to give it another try. Expect it to be salty and bitter, expect it to be something you have to get used to. Like anchovies or olives. Or okra. Okra is my big 'no' and 'why?'

One day when I was sick and needed help, Hubby gave me an okra curry. I love curries, and I love curries from this particular brand, so I was expecting the curry-on-rice he gave me. Yum.
Then I took a bite of it.
And my entire body rebelled. I can't even tell you how it tasted. All I can remember is the rebellion, the absolute and utter NO.
So, being me, I took another bite.
And it was worse.

I think hubby ate the rest of the okra curry.

I'm still open to eating okra. But at a buffet or in some other situation where I can control the portion. Like getting one ladle's worth of a gumbo that includes okra. So if my body does that rebellion thing, I haven't wasted much.

So yeah, I'm just glad you're trying again with something gross. Good for you! Let me know how you go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JVes said:

Thank you for being open-minded (open-mouthed?) enough to give it another try. Expect it to be salty and bitter, expect it to be something you have to get used to. Like anchovies or olives. Or okra. Okra is my big 'no' and 'why?'

One day when I was sick and needed help, Hubby gave me an okra curry. I love curries, and I love curries from this particular brand, so I was expecting the curry-on-rice he gave me. Yum.
And my entire body rebelled. I can't even tell you how it tasted. All I can remember is the rebellion, the absolute and utter NO.
And it was worse.

I'm still open to eating okra. But at a buffet or in some other situation where I can control the portion. Like getting one ladle's worth of a gumbo that includes okra. So if my body does that rebellion thing, I haven't wasted much.

So yeah, I'm just glad you're trying again with something gross. Good for you! Let me know how you go.

Ha ha ha!!! You said okra and that's what I grew last summer and pickled them! Okra is delicious and some breeds are slimier then others but fresh are excellent!

As a traveler you have to have an adventurous spirit and willing to try!

There are things I draw the line on though which I will not start on so as to not offend! 😋

3 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

Ha ha ha!!! You said okra and that's what I grew last summer and pickled them! Okra is delicious and some breeds are slimier then others but fresh are excellent!

There are things I draw the line on though which I will not start on so as to not offend! 😋

I've never put a piece of okra in my mouth that I didn't love!

5 hours ago, JVes said:

And it was worse.

You guys can have mine.  I won't eat okra!  Another that I just can't stomach is mong bean soup.  

• Like 1

I know what I will never reach for is and kind of seafood or shellfish that has its head with the eyes staring up at me or if it has legs or antennas sitting on ice.....🤮. My food must be totally unrecognizable from its original form. 

Veal is another item not on my bucket list.....cannot get past what it actually was. 🥺

But I will do escargot buried in garlic butter and covered in a puff pastry.

I am curious about caviar. Never had it.

20 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

Fortunately, I can't eat the things which I draw the line on. Not a true histamine I-might-die allergy, just an uncomfortable gut rebellion. Makes a nice 'excuse'. Mostly fish and shellfish.
Things which leave me feeling 'do I really want to try it?' include haggis, snails and blood pudding. I'll try them twice. Maybe three times if they're offered differently (like the okra).

You enjoy your okra and I'll be willing to try it in a gumbo or something.
I'll enjoy my vegemite and am glad you're willing to try it in that different way.
It'd be a boring world if we were all the same.

Edited by JVes
Made a silly mistake. Fixed.