What are the things you ''ALWAYS'' do on a cruise that other people dont.

DarrenM

13 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

I think what would compel me to actually look for ducks and pick them up is if there was money tucked up in them! BINGO!

I just assumed that if there wer ducks all over the place the ship had been overrun by those little creatures with 2 legs that some grown ups seems to like.

Thus making me wish i had booked a different ship.

We always bring a foldable hanging shoe rack. It takes up very little space in the suitcase, but gives us lots of extra storage space in the tiny,cramped closets. It holds shoes, belts, underwear, sun glasses, socks, binoculars, etc..

14 minutes ago, TV Dad said:

We always bring a foldable hanging shoe rack. It takes up very little space in the suitcase, but gives us lots of extra storage space in the tiny,cramped closets. It holds shoes, belts, underwear, sun glasses, socks, binoculars, etc..

We always bring I think it is called a bathroom caddy. You hang it up and put in toothpaste, toothbrushes, dental floss, etc.  (It was a very practical gift from one of our nephews a long time ago.)

On 4/5/2023 at 10:05 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately we look forward being served tableside on vacations and holidays 

Why is that unfortunate?  

On 4/5/2023 at 5:14 PM, GrannyJ said:

I usually get up about 4 a.m. and watch the pilot boat arrive and enjoy watching the ship pull into port. 

You'll never find me up early on a cruise -- but my husband loves to see the ship comes into a port.  Recently we cruised out of Tampa, and he loved being out on deck as we sailed back in under the bridge.  It was all lit up for nighttime.  Engineers.  They love that kinda thing.  

On 4/9/2023 at 1:19 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I always look for ways to do my own thing at ports and avoid ship tours as much as I possibly can.

Oh, yes, I definitely prefer doing our own thing OR a private tour.  Ship's tours are too big, offer fewer choices and less interaction with the guide -- and they cost more!  I won't say never, never, as occasionally they're the better option; in fact, we're going on a ship's tour on our next cruise, but it's the first time we've made that choice in more than two decades.  

On 4/30/2023 at 11:24 PM, azalice said:

I try to book only afternoon excursions. I love to take a leisurely breakfast and move slowly in the morning.

I think you're in the minority here; I prefer morning so we can be back on the ship in time for a late lunch, then have the afternoon to ourselves on the ship.  Not saying one choice is better or worse than the other, but I think more people choose morning.  

On 5/1/2023 at 2:02 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Days of the Round Cabin windows are gone and Balcony are a must. We too like the balcony not for just a particular reason for all different reasons as you said and more.

When we were younger and had to work around work and school schedules (and when the kids shared a cabin with us), we always went for a balcony.  We needed that "second room" and the extra space.  However, now that we're retired and it's just the two of us, we've tried the cheapest-of-the-cheap (Inside Guarantee), and we've found it perfectly acceptable.  

On 5/3/2023 at 10:17 AM, lynncarol said:

My husband and I only bring carry-on luggage whenever we travel 

Yep, we're with you.  We are in the minority, but it's an easier, more streamlined choice.  

On 5/4/2023 at 7:06 AM, MBP&O2/O said:

I avoid any hyper CD or anybody that exhorts you to have their idea of 'fun' ..... ie spend money on booze.

Oh, yeah, I don't get into loud fun like the pool competitions or Quest.  And I usually have 2-3 alcoholic drinks all week long.  

On 5/22/2023 at 8:39 AM, Lois R said:

You are not alone. If I can be in the "last group" off? I would do it every time too.

I would do that, if I didn't have an 8 hour drive ahead of me.  

On 5/22/2023 at 9:42 AM, MississippiMom said:

But is the small ducks around the ship a "thing everyone does" or a "thing no one does"?

I think it's more a thing on this board than on ships.  

On 5/26/2023 at 11:12 AM, DarrenM said:

Genuine question. Is there a right way?

I don't think it matters which way you run /walk -- as long as you're paying attention to your surroundings and the people who are sharing the track with you.  

2 hours ago, TV Dad said:

Though this is oft-touted on these boards, it makes no sense.  That thing (especially after it's unfolded once) takes up a lot of suitcase space -- and then creates visual clutter.  The staterooms have ample storage for two people -- so much hidden storage behind the mirrors, in the bedside tables, on the shelves in the closet.  

We travel with what we call "lounge wear" a title that came from some elastic waist cotton pants and knit tee that my husband bought ages ago. Now it's just anything that we can change into when we go to our cabin. Keeps our real clothes cleaner and less wrinkled. We're pretty religious about this, even do it at home.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

That thing (especially after it's unfolded once) takes up a lot of suitcase space --

We don't travel with one but the ones we have at home are plastic and fold up super well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TV Dad said:

We bring one too and hang it on bathroom door with magnetic hooks. I hate clutter on bathroom counter, nightstands and the such! It folds flat and takes no room. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 10:29 AM, navybankerteacher said:

With a bit of research, it is usually possible to do/see things more enjoyably and less expensively on your own.  The only ship’s tour we’ve taken in the past 20 years was to Santiago de Campostella  from the port- transportation only, no stops - much easier than researching/arranging public transportation.

We did that too--and we seldom do ship tours.  It was fine.  We knew it was just transportation, which is what we wanted.  The only other ship tours we have taken in many years was on a Panama Canal partial, with no other options, to a village (it was a great tour) and last year on a cruise up to Port Douglas in Australia where, due to tendering, it was not possible to book independent tours; at least I couldn't find any.  The ship tours were fine, if not spectacular.  

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, clo said:

We travel with what we call "lounge wear" a title that came from some elastic waist cotton pants and knit tee that my husband bought ages ago. Now it's just anything that we can change into when we go to our cabin. Keeps our real clothes cleaner and less wrinkled. We're pretty religious about this, even do it at home.

We do this on the ship, when we RV or do land travel, and at home as well. Comfy clothes for lounging. I personally love the Cool Nights fabric and options from Soma.

On an 11 night cruise, like the next one, I will take

4 pair of jeans - 2 will be nominated as dining jeans. Newest ones.

11 polo shirts

enough socks to last

3 pair of shorts

I pair of shoes (Wouldnt take any of I could get away with it in restaurants)

I pair of trainers

Current running shoes

Swimming trunks.

toothbrush

Deodorant

razerblade

aftershave

And my mobile phone for spotify, twitter and the football results.

And thats all folks.

3 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

We do this on the ship, when we RV or do land travel, and at home as well. Comfy clothes for lounging. I personally love the Cool Nights fabric and options from Soma.

I'll have to check those out. Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

11 polo shirts

enough socks to last

3 pair of shorts

I pair of trainers

Current running shoes

Swimming trunks.

toothbrush

Deodorant

razerblade

aftershave

And thats all folks.

Our lists would be pretty much identical.  The jeans to shorts ratio depends on the weather.  

On 2/3/2024 at 9:32 AM, cruisemom42 said:

The only ducks I want to see onboard are on my dinner plate covered in orange sauce. 

image.thumb.png.1ef27024803b2225a43bff8d16d2840c.png 

Now we know what happened to the parents of Huey, Dewey, and Louie.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Our lists would be pretty much identical.  The jeans to shorts ratio depends on the weather.  

So you kids who opt for a clean shirt every day, ... well, in the South we used to say:

"Horses sweat, men perspire and ladies." LOL

32 minutes ago, clo said:

So you kids who opt for a clean shirt every day, ... well, in the South we used to say:

"Horses sweat, men perspire and ladies." LOL

Its more the fact that I am known to spill French onion soup down my shirts.

Almost every time.

Every time

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, clo said:

11 days and 11 shirts????? 

Well yes but to be honest this includes the day time too.

But there will be no dressy shirts and definitely no suit.

I am not planning on attending an interview while on the cruise.

25 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Well yes but to be honest this includes the day time too.

Oh totally. But as I mentioned on this thread we have our "lounge wear." So we're not lying about our cabin in our regular clothes. And as far as spilling, which I regularly do, I immediately blot not scrub with water. And for decades now I've traveled with a small, flexible, plastic scrub board so I can actually wash out things (hopefully). My husband carries one or two "dress shirts" but they're the kind that are truly wash and wear. He'll wear them with a pair of Dockers to the specialty and GDR.

7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

11 polo shirts

enough socks to last

3 pair of shorts

I pair of trainers

Current running shoes

Swimming trunks.

toothbrush

Deodorant

razerblade

aftershave

And thats all folks.

You do not bring toothpaste?   And it sounds as though you just hold that  razor blade in hand and scrape your face with it - I suppose the shower gel the ship provides would soften your whiskers — but still…..

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

You do not bring toothpaste?   And it sounds as though you just hold that  razor blade in hand and scrape your face with it - I suppose the shower gel the ship provides would soften your whiskers — but still…..

Dry shave is only for the toughest.  Unless the razor happens to be electric, but if it has a blade then it isn't. 

I always bring those very small shaveing cream from the travel section of the drug store.  Problem is I never know how many shaves are left and should I buy a new one for the next trip or take a chance. 

Edited by ldubs
  • Haha 1