What are the things you ''ALWAYS'' do on a cruise that other people dont.

DarrenM

A couple of years ago my wife starting running aged 55. I then started six months later aged 56.

We now run, separately, about 3-4 times a week.

So on the ship we are up early using the jogging track for its actual purpose.

You have to get up really early to do this. Problem is its sometimes very wet.

Anyway, we are both training for two half marathons so we need to keep up the training.

And as I like the food a bit too much, the weight would soon be back on.

• Like 4

Gosh, I can't think of anything I do that at least some others don't do (did I say that correctly?).  I do use the treadmills in the gym, but I'm not the only one.   Maybe, for several cruises now, and for those that still have them, I don't attend the formal nights in the MDR.  

Hats off for the half marathon training.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

This is a tough one because like the others said, I'm sure I'm not the only one to do these.

As a more recent issue, I always request the daily activities schedule on paper opposed to trying to track everything on my phone.  

My loyalty status on one particular line provides me with free drinks.  I always tip a couple bucks per drink when ordering.  

I like hot showers, so I hang my clothes for that evening in the bathroom while showering.  The steam almost always does the trick.  

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Watching the ship depart out of the Harbor in the front of the ship.

This! Here in Galveston we have a narrow inlet that feeds Galveston ports all the way to Houston. The ship traffic is always present and the dolphins are plentiful.

After twenty years of owning a mobile DJ service as a side gig I have heard about 7000 miles of Cupid Shuffle.

See You At Sea.

321451409_530366935696157_7994178556501817238_n.jpg

321328568_704286287757949_2423066241011285253_n.jpg

321487858_842335573663995_1357490942657367033_n.jpg

321496229_839602507117196_612573359693509012_n.jpg

P9050506.JPG

P9050494.JPG

321652983_1844756532589533_2550989136526005943_n.jpg

321084945_1502109716939738_6495440127311101849_n.jpg

321158728_1594276084343420_2497094157911770498_n.jpg

321326973_830377844700123_5978584094444221935_n.jpg

320995374_1736594600124248_3725912482078358763_n.jpg

320372686_1361102461399573_5122873182700127728_n.jpg

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 11

7 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

We always do self-assist luggage/walk off.

Ditto.

As for the original question in the title of this post, I thought it was an interesting twist on another thread here and good for me to think about.  But since I'm a cruise sampler, there are relatively few things that I always do, and even fewer that others don't try.  One thing I thought of immediately I responded above.  Here's an attempt at others:

• I do almost all my breakfasts at the buffet, but then again, lots of people do
  • I do most of my dinners at the buffet

That's all I can think of now.  I might come back to this thread if I think of any others.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Ditto.

As for the original question in the title of this post, I thought it was an interesting twist on another thread here and good for me to think about.  But since I'm a cruise sampler, there are relatively few things that I always do, and even fewer that others don't try.  One thing I thought of immediately I responded above.  Here's an attempt at others:

• I do almost all my breakfasts at the buffet, but then again, lots of people do
  • I do most of my dinners at the buffet

That's all I can think of now.  I might come back to this thread if I think of any others.

Unfortunately we look forward being served tableside on vacations and holidays 

31 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

It's quite all right.  You're the normal one.  I'm the strange one.  🙃

No you are a Cruise Critic looking for a cruise your way.

Since I am the chief cook and bottle washer, my time to SHINE!

• Like 3

I usually get up about 4 a.m. and watch the pilot boat arrive and enjoy watching the ship pull into port.  If necessary, I'll get up even earlier.  Then I grab a cup of tea and a pastry if available and go back to bed until a civilized hour....LOL.  I love seeing the lights of the islands in the distance and watching us pulling closer.  

One time, I got up early enough pulling back into Tampa to watch the ship go under the bridge.  It was like having a huge spaceship fly over just over the ship.  I was looking up and got so disoriented by the sight that I fell down flat on my back on the deck.  Didn't hurt myself, thank goodness. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I'm always fascinated by industrial ports. I love watching the ships being unload, all the activity is interesting to me. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy a beautiful sail in with natural beauty but where some people dread the "ugly" industrial ports, I always look forward to them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I've never missed being outside for sailaway on any cruise, any port.  We dine in the MDR occasionally and always 'dress up'.  Rest of the time, it's the buffet; we both love to eat exactly what and how much we wish.  I never wear shoes on a cruise except when required.  

21 hours ago, Sea42 said:

I'm always fascinated by industrial ports. I love watching the ships being unload, all the activity is interesting to me. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy a beautiful sail in with natural beauty but where some people dread the "ugly" industrial ports, I always look forward to them.

Cargo Containers port are Great!

• Like 6

Rarely, if ever, eat at the buffet.  I do use the gym equipment everyday, not the only one but a very low percentage use the gym.  I use the sauna - oddly I have never met a person in the sauna on any of my many cruises. Besides enrichment I could care less if there is entertainment. I see plenty of theater events at home.  

On 4/4/2023 at 3:00 PM, DarrenM said:

We now run, separately, about 3-4 times a week.

So on the ship we are up early using the jogging track for its actual purpose.

Same. I'm an avid runner and being up early to get a run in before it gets busy is a pretty regular thing for me. I then grab coffees and bring them back to the cabin where my wife is, mostly likely, still passed our and sprawled across the bed. 

On 4/4/2023 at 3:57 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Watching the ship depart out of the Harbor in the front of the ship.

Many others are attracted to the Sailaway Party in the Aft of the ship....

Arrivals/departures, both at our origin/destination port(s) and the ports in between, is one of the reasons we always get a balcony. Nothing better than being outside, drink in hand, with just my wife, watching the goings on of the port and then watching the land slip away. 

• Like 2

I am amongst those who love to be up early, even if it means, “0 dark 30”, to watch the pilot board.

I often will book an inside cabin to save money to spend on additional cruises, but only use my cabin to sleep, shower, and change clothes in.

At all other times, I will be out and about the ship, or ashore.

On those ships that have a forward facing observation lounge, I will be up early enough to score my favorite location, the forward-most corner seat on the “land side”, which will be portside on an eastward ATW, or starboard on a westward one, for example.

Being up early enough to watch the arrival into a port, especially if it’s my maiden call there, with my GPS, and a cup of steaming coffee in the early morning quietude,  either alone, or sharing the experience with like-minded fellow passengers….well it just doesn’t get any better than that.🙂

• Like 8

9 hours ago, bob brown said:

Being up early enough to watch the arrival into a port, especially if it’s my maiden call there, with my GPS, and a cup of steaming coffee in the early morning quietude,  either alone, or sharing the experience with like-minded fellow passengers….well it just doesn’t get any better than that.🙂

Well said.  My brother-in-law shared your enjoyment watching the ship come into port.  I would join him, coffee in hand, as often as I could.   Who knows, maybe we were among those like minded passengers you encountered!  

• Like 1