What are the things you ''ALWAYS'' do on a cruise that other people dont.

DarrenM

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Salt does cut bitterness, it is why when you cook bitter foods you always put salt. However for me like with coffee (I have never understood people who put lots of sugar in their coffee🤷‍♀️) the bitterness of tea is part of its flavour so I wouldn't want to cut it out. 

Agreed - never sugar your tea.  Also, just a little salt on fresh grapefruit somehow cuts the bitterness and lets is unique flavor come through.

• Like 1

I'm never up in time to see the harbor pilot board the ship, but I do love to stand on my balcony and watch the harbor pilot disembark. I always hold my breath because I'm always so nervous he/she will miss the boat and fall in the water. 

I can also be found on my balcony as we pull away from our last port of call (usually the last day)  with a glass of wine...crying because I know I have to go back to reality.

I try to do half day excursions or at least get back to the ship about 2 hours before all aboard time.

And lastly, I do like dressing up for dinner...from business attire to full on formal gown. I don't get to dress up enough in real life, so I take full advantage on a cruise.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2023 at 11:31 AM, DarrenM said:

I drive on both sides of the road, I like to live a little dangerously.

Which side depends on which way I'm going.   

9 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Being from the South, I consume large quantities of iced tea.  Since Earl Grey or English Breakfast make horrible iced tea, I bring Luzianne tea bags with me and make my own.  Hot water, a tea bag, and ice in an insulated cup and it's almost like I'm back home!

Being from the south, you must have experienced sweet tea.   My family consumed a lot of it, but I never could.  Iced tea on hot day --  nothing better.   

9 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Maybe they were British.  As an aside I would not step aside for the 5 abreast group.  I also do not step aside for large groups in corridors.

As aside the thing that I do or maybe I should day "do not do" that everyone seems to do is play the stupid on board games such as Trivia or "find the ducks".  I don't do them on land so why should I do them on a ship.

DON

How much joy do people get from duck-finding?
And would people like to see small crocheted ducks? I knit and crochet when I'm idle, and it'd amuse me to be crocheting cruise-ducks on a cruise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JVes said:

And would people like to see small crocheted ducks? I knit and crochet when I'm idle, and it'd amuse me to be crocheting cruise-ducks on a cruise.

A lot of people have fun with it.  Maybe crochet little duck tuxedos for formal night!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/1/2024 at 1:38 AM, JVes said:

Not directed to you specifically but to cruisers overall: Please, please stop with the ducks!  I don't get the "fun" of hiding them in public spaces on ships (or anywhere else), and I am not a child who needs an Easter egg hunt.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2024 at 12:14 PM, ldubs said:

A lot of people have fun with it.  Maybe crochet little duck tuxedos for formal night!  

That quacks me up.  

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not directed to you specifically but to cruisers overall: Please, please stop with the ducks!  I don't get the "fun" of hiding them in public spaces on ships (or anywhere else), and I am not a child who needs an Easter egg hunt.

Release the quacken!!

Okay, I’m done.  Apologies.

I used to think it was a weird and awkward thing to do.  But I guess it is slowly becoming normalized in my brain because I think knitted ones would be just ducky!

(Okay, maybe not done yet.  I call fowl.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I hate it when I'm forced to spend time hiding or finding ducks.  I only use cruise lines where that is something voluntarily done by those who enjoy it.  That way it is not an issue for me.  😀

Edited by ldubs
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I hate it when I'm forced to spend time hiding or finding ducks.  I only use cruise lines where that is something done by those who enjoy it.  That way it is not an issue for me.  😀

Perhaps cruise lines should be classified as to whether duck hunting/hiding is allowed or not. I'd patronize the latter...

Speaking of which, no need to be patronizing. I'm allowed to think it's tacky when ships spend hundreds of thousands on decor and people clutter it up with dimestore ducks. 😆😆

7 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

That quacks me up.  

Release the quacken!!

I used to think it was a weird and awkward thing to do.  But I guess it is slowly becoming normalized in my brain because I think knitted ones would be just ducky!

The only ducks I want to see onboard are on my dinner plate covered in orange sauce. 

image.thumb.png.1ef27024803b2225a43bff8d16d2840c.png 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

Perhaps cruise lines should be classified as to whether duck hunting/hiding is allowed or not. I'd patronize the latter...

Speaking of which, no need to be patronizing. I'm allowed to think it's tacky when ships spend hundreds of thousands on decor and people clutter it up with dimestore ducks. 😆😆

Wasn't patronizing at all.  I don't think I could ever be patronizing to your comments.   Sarcastic?  Well yeah.  Really just good natured to get the too obvious point across.  Duck hunting enjoyed by others has no impact on me.  

Perhaps a hunting license should be required, with a fee of course.  😀 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Because I follow cruise news too closely... I know that Disney prohibits ducks onboard, while Carnival allows it. They're probably not your favorite cruise lines, but it's a start.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I know that Disney prohibits ducks onboard

There's one duck (who doesn't wear pants) that Disney definitely allows on board.  And maybe his nephews and his uncle who swims in a huge pile of golden coins. 🦆 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

I hate it when I'm forced to spend time hiding or finding ducks.  I only use cruise lines where that is something voluntarily done by those who enjoy it.  That way it is not an issue for me.  😀

What? I thought all activities (except the muster drill) were optional. I'm confused about being forced to do the ducks.

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm allowed to think it's tacky when ships spend hundreds of thousands on decor and people clutter it up with dimestore ducks. 😆😆

That makes sense. 

On 1/31/2024 at 10:00 PM, ldubs said:

Being from the south, you must have experienced sweet tea.   My family consumed a lot of it, but I never could.  Iced tea on hot day --  nothing better.   

Surprised I miss this. I'm from the South and never had sweet tea. And when it started showing up, I tasted it and loathe it. 

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

What do you object to with this silly little game?  I've never participated, just curious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JVes said:

What? I thought all activities (except the muster drill) were optional. I'm confused about being forced to do the ducks.

I wasn't serious.  Just quacking a joke.    🙂

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

That quacks me up.  

Release the quacken!!

Maybe take a break and have some cheese and quackers! 😆

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, clo said:

Surprised I miss this. I'm from the South and never had sweet tea. And when it started showing up, I tasted it and loathe it. 

Even as a child I could barely drink sweet tea.  

Interestingly, the last time I tasted sweet tea was about 20 years ago at a restaurant in London.  I had asked for the iced tea and was served sweet tea. They were good about replacing it.  

No one is forced to look for ducks just look straight ahead and look in no corners, no potted plants, no stairwells, no shelves, no empty chairs or couches........AAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!! 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫 I think their following us! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

No one is forced to look for ducks just look straight ahead and look in no corners, no potted plants, no stairwells, no shelves, no empty chairs or couches........AAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!! 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫 I think their following us! 

Shoot, I feel left out.  I have yet to see a rubber ducky on a cruise ship.  

• Like 1