Purchase water package or bring our own?

We drink tons of water daily. So would it be worth it to purchase to water package or just bring our own case on embarkation, It’ll definitely may be cheaper but what are the cons?

I give away my free bottled water and drink the ship water with lots of ice. I like mine extra cold.

Depends on you. At my age I'm not carrying water on with me to deal with while I eat lunch until the cabins are open at 1 to 2 pm. Its carry on only. 

• Like 5

You cannot bring a case, only 12 cans/bottles per cabin. Absolutely nothing wrong with drinking the ship’s water. And it’s free. Believe it or not people were drinking it for many years before anyone even thought about bottled water. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, prmami said:

We drink tons of water daily. So would it be worth it to purchase to water package or just bring our own case on embarkation, It’ll definitely may be cheaper but what are the cons?

You can handcarry a dozen bottles. For us, it is not worth the effort. We already dropped a chunk of change on the cruise. A few more dollars for a case of water onboard won’t kill us. Hauling water on embarkation day may…

• Like 4

I haven't done this, yet.  But, I wouldn't hesitate to bring my 12-cup Zero Water system.  Stuff the water container with T-Shirts or whatever to keep it from cracking, put it in the middle (between all clothing) of the suitcase, bring a new filter in its original plastic bag, and enjoy life. 

I've been a happy camper with Zero Water (not the new EcoFilter, though) for many many years.  Water tastes like water.  No, I have no affiliation with the company.  

The ship water tastes just fine, however I found my ankles started swelling by the end of each of my cruises.  I started drinking bottled water to see if it made a difference and it did, so I do buy now.  If you do not have the same issue I have I would not think you would have an issue with it.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cherful59 said:

The ship water tastes just fine, however I found my ankles started swelling by the end of each of my cruises.  I started drinking bottled water to see if it made a difference and it did, so I do buy now.  If you do not have the same issue I have I would not think you would have an issue with it.  

Same with me!  Not on all the ships, but some. Allure is the worst for me. Ever since I figured it out, I’ve been getting the water package. Not worth trying the tap for a few days for me. 

• Like 1

We do both.  My wife likes and needs for health reasons to drink alkaline water.  We will bring a six pack of alkaline water on board.  Once you are past security I can shove them in a roller bag so I don't have to mess with them while we are waiting for the rooms to open up.  We also order a 24 pack for a 7 day cruise or 12 pack if it's a shorter cruise.

3 hours ago, Cherful59 said:

Same with my husband...ankles swell a LOT when he drinks ship water, but mine don't. Have no idea why. So we do buy bottled water for him and I drink both bottled and ship water, and I'm fine.  Maybe it is some of the heart or other medications that he's on that cause the reaction to the ship water.  It's a mystery, but real.

3 hours ago, alex_drew said:

Same with my husband...ankles swell a LOT when he drinks ship water, but mine don't. Have no idea why. So we do buy bottled water for him and I drink both bottled and ship water, and I'm fine.  Maybe it is some of the heart or other medications that he's on that cause the reaction to the ship water.  It's a mystery, but real.

My mother’s ankles would swell when she travelled, Dr said it was caused by eating foods higher in salt than she normally ate at home

• Like 2

I do both. I pack water in my rolling bag. And I order water to be in the room when I arrive. Both are easy for me. Both work for me. 

Taking the pack of water myself is never an issue. I can't relate to people that post about "the hassle of lugging water". It's sitting in a little rolling bag. I'm not literally carrying it so it's not ever an inconvenience for me. Port security never makes me take it out the bag.  So, taking it has always been easy peasy for me. 

Different strokes for different folks. I take it for medical reasons and don't get swayed by posts on here about it. 

Have a good cruise, and do whatever works for you. 🤗🛳🙋‍♀️

Edited by blueslily
  • Like 2

With the price of bottled water so high these days we have resorted to smuggling water onto our cruises. Just dilled holes in the bottom of several white rum bottles, consumed the contents and refilled with H2O. We call it Water Whisking!😁

But please, the preparation process for this should take you a few weeks to complete . Doing it all the morning of your cruise is not advisable. 🥴 🤕

• Haha 6

18 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I haven't done this, yet.  But, I wouldn't hesitate to bring my 12-cup Zero Water system.  Stuff the water container with T-Shirts or whatever to keep it from cracking, put it in the middle (between all clothing) of the suitcase, bring a new filter in its original plastic bag, and enjoy life. 

I've been a happy camper with Zero Water (not the new EcoFilter, though) for many many years.  Water tastes like water.  No, I have no affiliation with the company.  

Just to be clear, that was not intended to say that the ship's water is anything other than potable.  My experience is that there is always a little bit of an aroma and some chemical taste.  Much like at home (N.E. Alabama (here in Alabama, the chlorine smell and taste are very noticeable) and other places in the country/world we've lived).  The water filter system eliminates all that.  I'm sure others do as well.

17 hours ago, Cherful59 said:

This is the issue we have reason the question posted. Thank you!

4 hours ago, steveru621 said:

It depends on the ship and location.  Frequently RCI purchases municipal water in ports.

I've noticed a strong chlorine smell on some ships.  That's why I prefer bottled water.

Why would RCL BUY water from a municiplaity when it has UNLIMITED amounts of water it can desalinize and purify for consumption? I have NEVER tasted water on a ship of any cruise line that had a chemical taste or even a smell. Just keeping buying and they will keep selling. I grew up drinking water out of a garden hose, Maybe that's my problem.

24 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

Why would RCL BUY water from a municiplaity when it has UNLIMITED amounts of water it can desalinize and purify for consumption? I have NEVER tasted water on a ship of any cruise line that had a chemical taste or even a smell. Just keeping buying and they will keep selling. I grew up drinking water out of a garden hose, Maybe that's my problem.

You need to cruise more.

The fact is it's costly to desalinate ocean water.  That's why it's rarely done in the USA.  If it were cheap, California wouldn't have a water shortage.

Next time you are on a cruise ask the environmental officer.  RCI does absolutely buy municipal water.  Plus water on the ship is chlorinated, you are just nose blind to the smell.  I spent 40 years with a well, with no chlorine.  I can smell it instantly.

Sorry, you don't agree, but what I posted is 100% true.

"seawater
Yes. All drinking water is either distilled from seawater or loaded onboard while the ship is in port. Royal Caribbean adheres to Vessel Sanitation Program standards published by the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS)."

6 hours ago, steveru621 said:

You need to cruise more.

The fact is it's costly to desalinate ocean water.  That's why it's rarely done in the USA.  If it were cheap, California wouldn't have a water shortage.

Next time you are on a cruise ask the environmental officer.  RCI does absolutely buy municipal water.  Plus water on the ship is chlorinated, you are just nose blind to the smell.  I spent 40 years with a well, with no chlorine.  I can smell it instantly.

Sorry, you don't agree, but what I posted is 100% true.

"seawater
Yes. All drinking water is either distilled from seawater or loaded onboard while the ship is in port. Royal Caribbean adheres to Vessel Sanitation Program standards published by the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS)."

I don't disagree. I definitely need to cruise more. 🙂

I did not know they bought water so I was incorrect. I thought I remembered seeing a show that explored all the parts of the ship we don't see as cruisers and them saying they had to desalinate all their water.