Formal Attire

lion1956

1 hour ago, curious_st said:

I am aware of the laundromats, and had intended to only pack enough for about a week.  But, I am getting paranoid because of all of the reports that I’m reading on here  and in my Facebook groups about the laundromats being closed due to Norovirus and/or Covid.

Currently on the Caribbean Princess and all passenger laundry rooms are “closed until further notice”.  Lesson learned about boarding a ship expecting to do laundry right away from the land trip prior.

1 hour ago, curious_st said:

But, I am getting paranoid because of all of the reports that I’m reading on here  and in my Facebook groups about the laundromats being closed due to Norovirus and/or Covid.

This is the current discussion on that matter. Open in our recent experiences.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2912445-is-the-laundromat-free/#comment-65186223

Edited by mtnesterz

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

And:  "I just can't seem to find any room in my luggage for this one, silk tie!"...said no one ever. 🤣

wait a minute .....  rum runners say that all the time  😄

• Haha 5

We're platinum on NCL and enjoy the vibe onboard, although we do dress up on "Dress-up or Not Night" (e.g., black dress with gold shoes and jewelry for me, dark slacks with long-sleeve sweater/shirt with collar for DH). I love me a man in a suit and tie, but I would never get him in that on a cruise. (He would never wear shorts in the MDR for dinner.) I've just started reading the Princess boards as we recently booked our first trans-Pacific for this December and I've very much enjoyed reading this thread as I was a bit confused about formal nights. We're on a West Coast departure, so my take-away is that we should be fine in our usual "formal wear." Really appreciate everyone's insights and the photos, too!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

We're platinum on NCL and enjoy the vibe onboard, although we do dress up on "Dress-up or Not Night" (e.g., black dress with gold shoes and jewelry for me, dark slacks with long-sleeve sweater/shirt with collar for DH). I love me a man in a suit and tie, but I would never get him in that on a cruise. (He would never wear shorts in the MDR for dinner.) I've just started reading the Princess boards as we recently booked our first trans-Pacific for this December and I've very much enjoyed reading this thread as I was a bit confused about formal nights. We're on a West Coast departure, so my take-away is that we should be fine in our usual "formal wear." Really appreciate everyone's insights and the photos, too!

Both of your outfits, as you’ve described, are just perfect!  You DH sounds like a very respectful and mannered gentleman.  And, you will be lovely in your LBD.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2023 at 5:35 AM, lion1956 said:

We have not been on a cruise for many years but we are takiing a Emerald Princess cruise in May, my question, is it absolutely required to wear a suit or sportcoat on formal nights?  I ask because we flying internationality and it is such a pain to pack and carry a suit.  What is the percentage of people in your estimate who go to a formal night without wearing a suit?

Simply put, it is not a requirement by any means.

We're fairly regular on Princess since the 90's. Nowadays, the percentage guesstimate of jacket and ties would be a little less than 50%.

Hardly anyone (less than 10%) wears a tux/gown anymore. Suits and ties are about 30%, with dress slacks and jackets another 30% or so, depending on the itinerary. Nice camp-style shirts (think Tommy Bahama) and dress slacks seem to be popular and perfectly acceptable for the men. Women tend to dress better anyway, but the gala-style gowns are rare. 

Relax, you're on a cruise!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

I have always been able to either- bring a garment bag or fold into the suit case.

I have (3) suit options.     Alaska cruise- 10 days, 2 formal nights.    There is a gold and white party. (is this tan?)

I have these options-    Black suit, blue/white searsucker suit, tan suit. 

Which (2) should I bring?   

As stated previously my opinion is wear whatever you want. But if you really want input--I say bring the black suit and a couple different colors of shirts to go with it. Then you're only packing one!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

I have always been able to either- bring a garment bag or fold into the suit case.

I have (3) suit options.     Alaska cruise- 10 days, 2 formal nights.    There is a gold and white party. (is this tan?)

I have these options-    Black suit, blue/white searsucker suit, tan suit. 

Which (2) should I bring?   

I only wear suits for weddings, funerals, and cruises. Currently do not own a tux, but have a couple decent tailored suits, one black and one gray. With 2 formal nights on a 10 night cruise (I am on the May version on Crown), I will most likely just bring a black one. So bring the black, and flip a coin on the other.

2 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

As stated previously my opinion is wear whatever you want. But if you really want input--I say bring the black suit and a couple different colors of shirts to go with it. Then you're only packing one!

Black suit only - White long sleeve, button down collar shirt ONLY - no colors - a couple of conservative ties if you must.  Shoes are your option - I wear black on black leather athletic shoes for comfort - noone ever looks at a man's shoes, right Red?

46 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

Yesterday this thread started to turn a little ridiculous, not in a funny way. However there was one thing I did find a little amusing, the person who wears their good black jeans on formal nights.

Yes!  Or “dress” shorts!  You really just have to smile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

Yesterday this thread started to turn a little ridiculous, not in a funny way. However there was one thing I did find a little amusing, the person who wears their good black jeans on formal nights.

That would be the most normal thing in the world here in WY. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, loge23 said:

Simply put, it is not a requirement by any means.

We're fairly regular on Princess since the 90's. Nowadays, the percentage guesstimate of jacket and ties would be a little less than 50%.

Hardly anyone (less than 10%) wears a tux/gown anymore. Suits and ties are about 30%, with dress slacks and jackets another 30% or so, depending on the itinerary. Nice camp-style shirts (think Tommy Bahama) and dress slacks seem to be popular and perfectly acceptable for the men. Women tend to dress better anyway, but the gala-style gowns are rare. 

Relax, you're on a cruise!

This has been our experience too!  Formal nights are way more casual than formal on most of the cruises we have been on in the last 4 or 5 years.

• Like 2