Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

4 minutes ago, FRMPEI said:

Interesting that you used Zaandam in your example. Zaandam is the first ship of the season to visit our home port of Charlottetown today.  A wee bit chilly today here @ +6C with overcast skies.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

We will be on the Volendam in August next year and your home port is one of our stops. Looking forward to some of you great sea food for lunch or dinner. I hear you are known for exceptional oysters, muscles and scallops. We hope this cruise gets us out of the heat of August in South Texas.

• Like 3

Noon 4/26/2023 -

There was an announcement this morning that in preparation for arrival in Cobh that we would be doing immigration today in the Meeting Place.    Instructions were to be in your room.

Surprise, Surprise no instructions.    We called Eli and he said the stateroom attendant was suppose to have left it last night..   He called back and said they had a mixup and we need to go to Meeting Place immediately. 

Worked perfect as there was no line and we had a bit a crack with the officer (chat).     He's from Cobh and a Police Officer.   One of the perks he gets occasionally  is to meet a ships in Bermuda and sail back to Cobh.   The U.S. and Ireland have always had a special relationship somewhat similar to Canada. 

If you fly from Shannon or Dublin to the U.S. you do immigration in Shannon before you take off.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, FRMPEI said:

Interesting that you used Zaandam in your example. Zaandam is the first ship of the season to visit our home port of Charlottetown today.  A wee bit chilly today here @ +6C with overcast skies.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

It’s 12:50 noon here and watching home news and weather.  

Heat spell and regular spread of micro climates.  

IMG_2799.thumb.jpeg.fb6dfc4fd97d06c960f8fb58462734d9.jpeg

IMG_2798.thumb.jpeg.d8449496dcd8c381f1f5c7ebfe590923.jpeg

Cold spell by end of week.  Temps in F.   We are closest to San Jose 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JackE said:

@Jim_Iain Thank you for such great posts! New to the CC boards and have very much enjoyed your cruise adventure news! My partner Andrew and I have a Med cruise booked on the Edge this August, and then the second sailing of the Ascent in November. We can't wait to retire like you and Iain and cruise all the time! We live in NYC and have a couple more years of working.

Wanted to let you know that we spent some time in Amsterdam last August before and after an Apex cruise to Scandinavia/Baltic. Have two restaurants that we highly recommend: 

Van T' Spit (From the Spit) located on Frans Halsstraat near where you staying around the museum plein (if I remember from your post). The BEST rotisserie chicken and homemade sides. Very casual but DELISH. In fact, we went there twice, once before the cruise, and once after.

Restaurant De Kas - which is set in a greenhouse in a local park. They only serve what's fresh and what they have grown themselves. It's in a park that we took the local metro to (Amstel Station I believe, and then it's about a 10-15 minute walk). Very charming and an experience not to be missed. You need reservations for this one - going for lunch is cool so you can appreciate your surroundings. 

Have a wonderful time in one of our favorite cities! Jack

Thanks so much Jack-

I've taken a screen shot to keep on my phone in Favorites.. Will definitely give them a try.   We will be there 8 days. . . and always looking for recommendations.   Unfortunately some of our favorites of 30 years didn't survive Covid.  So sad. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sphynxlady said:

I am currently in a wheelchair but previously had a Doberman service dog. Silas sailed with me on at least four cruises including Europe, andSouth America on Infinity. Celebrity treated him  like a star. He has been gone for sixteen years and I still miss him everyday.. Made many memories on ship.

Thanks for sharing... I don't think I've ever seen a Doberman as a service dog but why not. ..

OK... one final story (maybe) about Luke -

Y'all (story on this to follow)  --   You may recall Luke was a Cadaver Dog..    I promise this won't be gory.   

I was walking him once and he yanked and sniffed the trunk of a car and then alerted and sat.   He wouldn't move until I rewarded him with a Good Boy and a treat and he allowed me to pull him away.   I kinda had chills... he alerted daily on the same car same spot for a week..      I almost called the police but preferred to think maybe the neighbor was a deer hunter.    

After a week the car was no longer parked and he never alerted again.  

• Haha 6

Ok... now the Y'all story.    Their is a lovely pool butler that also cleans the Retreat.    She passed and said "How Y'All?"   I asked where she hailed from and she is from South Africa.     I explained that in the American South they say Y'All as a greeting.    She laughed and said we are from the South also and use is for ease instead of All of you. 

We have progressed and we now give a - Good Morning Y'all.     I'm expanding her dialogue to include =

Ya'll come back now !     She always cracks up with this infectious smile. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

last nights dinner Menu

IMG_2702.thumb.jpeg.989c30f9a0cc8a706f0dd65959c3634e.jpeg

IMG_2703.thumb.jpeg.63cb77739959fe4164ee7d7a61bb9450.jpeg

70416017631__D4D63E49-F4D1-4FE8-A4CB-B68F697A3308.thumb.jpeg.fd700c5275740f43a0a5e9a4019b1efe.jpeg

The best Sommelier you could ever hopeful for, Alley.   Knows what we are in the blood for and never lets your glass get 1/2 empty 

IMG_2709.thumb.jpeg.5007f3371104520b5e40efa675942fab.jpeg

Marcus is exceptionally attentive and always tries to anticipate your needs 

IMG_2710.thumb.jpeg.731110c55eb93725eea57f42d0d3b8a0.jpeg

IMG_2707.thumb.jpeg.d2e194fd317686b2071d97688f2933ce.jpeg

Finally we have Sonny - Waiter Extraordinaire !

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ok... now the Y'all story.    Their is a lovely pool butler that also cleans the Retreat.    She passed and said "How Y'All?"   I asked where she hailed from and she is from South Africa.     I explained that in the American South they say Y'All as a greeting.    She laughed and said we are from the South also and use is for ease instead of All of you. 

We have progressed and we now give a - Good Morning Y'all.     I'm expanding her dialogue to include =

Ya'll come back now !     She always cracks up with this infectious smile. 

You didn’t quite finish it…. Should be ‘Y’all come back now, y’hear?’  EM

• Like 3

The eggplant parm looks yummy.  We were on the Reflection when they first opened Luminae ( they were actually bring the chairs on board as we boarded). My husband ordered eggplant on night and it

was “de-constructed” and very weird.  He was not a fan.

3 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Fellow southpaw here…that T-shirt of Iain’s never gets old 😉

You will have to thank Evelyn, Iain’s sister.  She loves crafty local gifts and sent it to him for his birthday.   She will be aboard on 5/14. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lola2013 said:

Famous line from “The Beverly Hillbillies” theme song.

Bright minds think alike.   At work once two of us were saying. ….nothing…..I know nothing famous line from Sargent Shultz…. The younger staff had no idea what we were talking about. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, vickykay said:

The eggplant parm looks yummy.  We were on the Reflection when they first opened Luminae ( they were actually bring the chairs on board as we boarded). My husband ordered eggplant on night and it

was “de-constructed” and very weird.  He was not a fan.

I only ordered it on the Greenland cruise for the first time.    I decided I would try things I had never tried before.   The only thing I won’t try is anything with beets in it.   The only thing I hate worse is Okra.  

• Like 2

for Lunch today

IMG_2819.thumb.jpeg.6152aed13cd94c918759a3499c107146.jpeg

I had the Flatbread - we will be rotating the complete series of 5 that we rarely see due to so many port days

Rating 10+++. Only problem is it is large and not sure I can eat dinner tonight.    

IMG_2803.thumb.jpeg.8be00ce35c73871a19b9571e8265407e.jpeg

For Desert Iain had the Chocolate Lava Cake and it wasn’t over cooked a molten. 

IMG_2804.thumb.jpeg.d187fd33020c78ed27a4d1fda6551b69.jpeg

I had the Vanilla Gelato 

IMG_2805.thumb.jpeg.60742ea3f2d2fa5a9948bdf6232f28bd.jpeg

@DaKahuna  and @kwokpot Light bulb went off when I looked at the picture .  

Tomorrow for lunch I’m asking them to use the gelato, espresso and chocolate sauce they have and construct an Affogato.  

• Like 7

We were last to leave and all kind of people dropped by.  Food and Beverage Manager, Staff Chef, Luminae Chef. Etc. etc.  

Later we were chatting with Yuksel and Marcus. and suddenly I yelled don’t move.   

IMG_2802.thumb.jpeg.68d7072bdb7c294cd5a2d7a9adead4ef.jpeg

Both have us feeling like they are family.  No formality just smiles jokes warmth.   

Don’t you think Markus would make a good Butler.  Unfortunately for us Markus contract ends in Rotterdam.   Good side is we still have just under 2 weeks. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

for Lunch today

IMG_2819.thumb.jpeg.6152aed13cd94c918759a3499c107146.jpeg

I had the Flatbread - we will be rotating the complete series of 5 that we rarely see due to so many port days

Rating 10+++. Only problem is it is large and not sure I can eat dinner tonight.    

IMG_2803.thumb.jpeg.8be00ce35c73871a19b9571e8265407e.jpeg

For Desert Iain had the Chocolate Lava Cake and it wasn’t over cooked a molten. 

IMG_2804.thumb.jpeg.d187fd33020c78ed27a4d1fda6551b69.jpeg

I had the Vanilla Gelato 

IMG_2805.thumb.jpeg.60742ea3f2d2fa5a9948bdf6232f28bd.jpeg

@DaKahuna  and @kwokpot Light bulb went off when I looked at the picture .  

Tomorrow for lunch I’m asking them to use the gelato, espresso and chocolate sauce they have and construct an Affogato.  

There we go! 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I only ordered it on the Greenland cruise for the first time.    I decided I would try things I had never tried before.   The only thing I won’t try is anything with beets in it.   The only thing I hate worse is Okra.  

I totally agree with you on beets.

I wholeheartedly disagree on Okra.  Who in their right mind would ever think of gumbo without okra? How about any stew worth having is only made better by okra.

My wife makes a delicious okra dish that is simply okra, that has been lightly boiled, chopped with sprinkled dashi, and then a couple of dashes of soy sauce. 

• Like 2