Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

We booked a 9 am train.  It sounds crazy as the trip had 3 changes of train.  Many on our roll call said they were intimidated by the number of connections.   It was really easy and no stress

IMG_3620.thumb.png.6a5efd02abab86b270ca4394f4b89fb6.png

IMG_3606.thumb.jpeg.8c2cb108ff8ab0117c8c08f22a6028d4.jpeg

IMG_3607.thumb.jpeg.162fb5aa179e44089bad5d47076b0757.jpeg

IMG_3609.thumb.jpeg.25bb3636d11683c08d540da4a139e885.jpeg

IMG_3611.thumb.jpeg.af48874371c559a0de86f2ca0804b8a4.jpeg

It’s one mile to the station and took us 18 minutes.   

IMG_3613.thumb.jpeg.cfc723e63d66a81794c296b79a510956.jpeg

IMG_3616.thumb.jpeg.24e628a3176b94c81ad1bf0a95246e3b.jpeg

IMG_3615.thumb.jpeg.d745b5b0d0837856eeb2cd139c5f788c.jpeg

IMG_3614.thumb.jpeg.d8bd16ce72b6e837ba8a549afea9c1db.jpeg

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Southampton --- Can't believe this cruise ends in three days.    I rushed around and sent out the laundry this morning.   It is so nice having Free Laundry -  the only Zenith Perk we use ALOT.

We booked tickets for Windsor Castle months ago and glad we did.   It's a complete sell out with the coronation this weekend.

Last night I booked and purchased train tickets...  I hope our British followers are not offended but their app is the most screwed up, inept non-functional App I've ever seen.

First went  to National Rail and it told me to download the App...No problem took but minutes.

Finally was able to see the schedules and choose to book... so far so good.    Then it asks you if you want an Isle Seat or Window, Quiet Car etc etc... then you choose continue and it tells you reservations of seats unavailable so choose any seat... ok.. can live with that.

Then it moves right along to Book you ticket... It then makes you setup an account.   Then to the payment window but will not take a credit card without a UK Post Code... Used my Sister-in Laws then went to enter the CC number and every time you enter the first 4 digits it takes you to the previous screen....Finally got them all in and it rejects because it wants 4 more digits that aren't on my card. 

Out of frustration I came back to the room and did it on a Laptop instead of an Apple App..  Again good until credit card and rejected.... Ahhh.. they had an option to use Paypal.   Done quickly.  

Then It tells you you have to Download the Great Western Railway in order to see my ticket.  Ugh... Done.    For the return ticket I tried to use the Great Western Rail App but it  would say no trains available from Windsor to Southampton... back to Firefox on my Phone and succeeded and my tickets showed up on the App...

That was the hardest part of our trip planning....

That seems to be far more complicated than booking the trains in Italy that we did last year.

37 minutes ago, venicecruiser said:

Enjoying this thread so much!  The photos in England bring back lots of wonderful memories.  My late hubby was a Brit and we spent a fair amount of time in England.  Thanks again for doing this!

Claudia

Treasure those memories, he will be with you forever. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, go.without.you said:

Did you plan to be in town for the Coronation or just coincidence?

coronation is in London on Saturday, but the whole country will be celebrating.   Sunday they will have a concert and I suspect fireworks at Windsor. 

As a special story.  Iain’s roommate from University, Patrick Doyle, was commissioned by Charles to write the music for his processional march.   He had also been commissioned to write a  piece for the Queen Mothers 90’s  - The Thistle Rose. 

• Like 15

We have been to Windsor a number of times and never discovered where some of the permanent residents live in Windsor. 

Anyone knows who lives here?

IMG_3758.thumb.jpeg.2915cf0341da861a76b08e206ea7c438.jpeg

IMG_3759.thumb.jpeg.05f699842357b090afbe73ff2472e606.jpeg

IMG_3763.thumb.jpeg.a2c661c297ea41cfec39ad70c8b9ab2d.jpeg

Funny to see a BBQ Grill

IMG_3767.thumb.jpeg.d42ecfa16f53ffe9767fcec388445b90.jpeg

snd shoes outside the door. 

IMG_3764.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 7

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

As far as I know you have always been able to make MDR reservations in App.   As a matter of fact I think I booked MDR while in a suite pre-covid.

Just checked the App and there is indeed the ability to book MDR in all 4

Just looked and Cyprus, Normandie  and Tuscan  - all  unavailable and says sold out.   Not sure what that means.    There is no mention of the requirement to use the app.   See what I can find out.

to clarify(  more hearsay ), the TA did not tell my friends they had to but that she..the TA coudd not do it on EDGE..I think she was not an EDGE fan. Friends booked Solstice!

On 5/2/2023 at 1:21 PM, hcat said:

I will savor it all and thank you in advance for sharing Cobh!

This was a port that was on a British Isles Cruise we had all set up on Princess some years ago. We.had  arranged pre and post cruise hotels, excursions to Oxford, Stonehenge., Book of Kells...etc. 

Unfortunately ,   a few days after final payment was made our dtr ( early 30's then) had a  breast cancer diagnosis. Obviously,  we cancelled it all to take care of her thru surgery, chemo, reconstruction, fertility dr   etc.   (our Travel Ins covered most...but no matter..had to be done)

while we missed out on  a great trip the happy news today is she is in her 40s, has a great husb she met a few days after the dx. .and 2 great  children conceived post cancer and chemo!  We Celebrate Every Day!

sorry to be so personal but it just all came out!

Breast cancer survivor here as well. Certainly understand the emotions. Mine recurred in 2018 and still under treatment and surviving. Attitude is everything!  

• Like 8