Does Celebrity allow you to bring back baked goods to the ship.

realnice46

4 minutes ago, realnice46 said:

We will be stopping at two ports in France on upcoming May cruise. Are you allowed to bring back banquettes and croissants to the ship?

A banquette would be hard to fit through the metal detector. A baguette and croissants would be fine as long as they survived the trip from the boulangerie without being eaten. But why? They have both on board.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, mom says said:

A banquette would be hard to fit through the metal detector. A baguette and croissants would be fine as long as they survived the trip from the boulangerie without being eaten. But why? They have both on board.

Because it’s France and they will taste so unbelievably good! The problem is that you won’t want to touch the ship croissants after that. I agree that you don’t want to try bringing on a banquette! A baguette will fit for sure tho!

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 2

You can try, but don’t be surprised if it isn’t allowed.  There is/was a policy about not bringing perishable food items on board, How a particular ship/sailing defines that and how well it’s enforced is anybody’s guess.

if it’s not too much, and if you don’t care about the lost $$$, I wouldn’t ask ahead of time. 

• Like 1

I told some of the Officers and Waiters that I would get a proper Key Lime Pie while in Key West and bring it to them. I got the pie in the protective packaging and was denied boarding with it upon my return. I called the RM and he called the Captain who called Security and ordered that the pie be allowed on the ship. The RM told me that the Captain never got to have a slice because it was "too good" and nothing remained after RM  and Waiters sampled the pie.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Tigerfnan23 said:

We saw someone trying to bring a pizza onboard in Italy get denied.  They had to hand out the slices to the rest of us to quickly scarf down to avoid having to leave it behind. 

I had a similar experience (>5 years ago) in Naples when I was the beneficiary of a fellow passenger not being allowed to bring some local pastry onboard. The passenger distributed the contraband pastry to any and all nearby passengers. 

It seems the OP's post has gotten a definite maybe as a response to his/her question 😉

Edited by SFCAcruiser
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tigerfnan23 said:

We saw someone trying to bring a pizza onboard in Italy get denied.  They had to hand out the slices to the rest of us to quickly scarf down to avoid having to leave it behind. 

14 minutes ago, SFCAcruiser said:

I had a similar experience (>5 years ago) in Naples when I was the beneficiary of a fellow passenger not being allowed to bring some local pastry onboard. The passenger distributed the contraband pastry to any and all nearby passengers. 

It seems the OP's post has gotten a definite maybe as a response to his/her question 😉

So we are saying that the idea is half-baked?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Friends that we travel with , quite often bring back island treats including bakery items and share with their wait staff.

The staff love it and security has never told them it wasn’t allowed.

good luck and bon appetite!

Brockmom

30 minutes ago, brockmom said:

Friends that we travel with , quite often bring back island treats including bakery items and share with their wait staff.

The staff love it and security has never told them it wasn’t allowed.

good luck and bon appetite!

Brockmom

This thread is proving Celebrity's constant inconsistency.

Edited by Orator
  • Haha 1

I have brought on packaged rum cakes to DCL from Cayman, but those are sealed in a package. I heard a story of a couple trying to bring half a dozen big cookies from a bakery in Orlando called Gideon's onto a DCL ship. This was at embarkation. They wouldn't let them bring them, so the couple started shoving giant cookies in their mouths😂 We brought on half of one of those cookies to DCL, but it was wrapped up in paper in a carry-on. It was probably too small to really notice. We knew there was a risk of it getting tossed.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

Hard to understand why bringing baked goods would be an issue.  

I haven't studied the EU's ShipSan program too closely, so can't answer for European cruises,  but cruises that call at the US, and are under the USPH's VSP, all food brought onboard must be from "verifiable sources", meaning there is a paper trail of documentation from ingredients to preparation, to cooking, to packaging and storage.

• Thanks 2

Celebrity is inconsistent to be sure, but the law is very different from port to port and some of the responsibility for the inconsistencies lies there.

Australia and New Zealand have incredibly strict rules about bringing food on or off the ship. They take bio security very seriously.

The OP is inquiring about France. Limitations there are probably much looser, and the bakery products will probably be allowed but do not be surprised if they are not.  

During embarkation, the TERMINAL xrays your belongings and tends to be stricter

During port visits, the ship xrays your belongings and tend to be less strict; all about what kind of day the crew is having.  Just be polite and the worst thing you can do is bring extra attention to it by asking them "is it okay to bring this on?"  Also some ports like Puerto Vallera do have a terminal xray in addition to the ships xray, yet the terminal xrays are looking for weapons and wouldn't confiscate drinks/food

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I haven't studied the EU's ShipSan program too closely, so can't answer for European cruises,  but cruises that call at the US, and are under the USPH's VSP, all food brought onboard must be from "verifiable sources", meaning there is a paper trail of documentation from ingredients to preparation, to cooking, to packaging and storage.

Thanks.  It seems what can be brought onboard at a US port is more restrictive than what CBP says can be brought from the ship to shore.      

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Australia and New Zealand have incredibly strict rules about bringing food on or off the ship. They take bio security very seriously.

I agree they have strict rules.   I understand they don't want things brought in.  I wonder why they would care what you leave with.   Why would NZ authorities care what I take onto the cruise ship from Aukland for example.  

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Thanks.  It seems what can be brought onboard at a US port is more restrictive than what CBP says can be brought from the ship to shore.      

CBP is worried about bringing an invasive species into the US.  The USPH is worried about bringing something that could cause an illness onto the ship, and then possibly into the US.  And, cruise lines that benefit from participating in the VSP (meaning that they do not need to have a full sanitation inspection every single time the ship enters the US), agree to abide by the VSP for the entire voyage, so any restrictions on bringing food onboard at a US port would be the same as food brought on in a foreign port, for cruises that call at US ports.

• Thanks 1