Overpaid and RCCL says tough luck, you paid too soon.

bentl1

Just like airlines, cruise prices fluctuate and passenger prices vary for the same accommodations.   People pay the price they agree to in the contract.  

You have a weird definition of overpaying and paying too soon (they have a final payment deadline so you didn’t pay too soon).  

Those that gamble and book late can pay more or less and usually have far fewer options.  By booking early you benefit from more choice.  Doesn’t mean you over paid.  

Why don’t you accept responsibility for the terms you agreed to and stop blaming others?  This is totally on you and they owe you nothing.  This has happened to us many times.  You can look to see if a better cabin is available at the same price.  You could then switch.  

Other than that, just stop with the irrational complaining.  Comparing Walmart to Royal is ridiculous.  Royal isn’t a retailer selling suppliers products.   Walmart and HD often run sales when suppliers induce them to do so and thus much of the post hoc price reduction is absorbed by the supplier (not Walmart).  

Royal fluctuates price based on supply and demand of cabins.  Two completely different business models and different reasons for adjusting pricing and setting contracts.  

There isn’t one point you are presenting that is logical.  I flew on an airline over 40 years ago and recently paid more for a seat than someone else I know who sat next to me.  They didn’t refund me anything and I didn’t accuse them of overcharging me or making me pay too soon.  Why?  Because I’m an adult and I understand business and contracts.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 3

What I find sad is the state of how things are with people in general. So many people think the rules should not apply to them and they are special. How many times have we seen posts where people ask or want exceptions to be made for things like weight limits ( both minimum and maximum) on things like zip lines or age limits ( both minimum and maximum) for things like escape room or kids club. There was just a thread recently about insurance and not having it but wanting Royal to make an exception because of a medical issue. Some people are very nice when they post and are just asking for advice and some people are just beside themselves that they are not given the special treatment. It is not only here on this board but you can look at the videos on social media where people are loosing their minds in fast food places, stores and airports because they are being made to follow some policy or rule. People tell their friends, family and co workers about an issue and they all give a sympathetic ear and figure they will come here and post and get the same response.

To the OP if you are still following this thread and this is not some sort of troll.

You are going on a cruise, on probably a great ship, and visiting some great ports. There are many people in this world that do not have the time and / or the money to go on vacations let alone a week long cruise. Go enjoy the fact that you have the means to be able to partake in this activity and enjoy the vacation. You obviously picked this cruise versus any of the many other cruise options because it fit your schedule and offered something at a price you were happy with.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Prices weren't increased - What happened was a Fuel Surcharge was added to all bookings. 

Was that ever actually implemented or just added to the cruise contract just as it is today.  Something they could do but haven't

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Was that ever actually implemented or just added to the cruise contract just as it is today.  Something they could do but haven't

It’s always been in the contract; but I have never (since 1989) seen it charged; and I have seen some HIGH oil prices over those years. 

• Thanks 1

We had an interesting event many years ago with Royal. We made a reservation and selected our stateroom. My wife decided a few weeks later that she would like to have a different stateroom. Both the old and new staterooms were the same class, just different location. The revised cost was $400 more. I called Royal and asked why. The agent said that when you moved your stateroom, that reservation was cancelled and a new reservation was made at the current price. So beware of changing staterooms as it might cost you more or less depending on the current price.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I don't think Royal, Celebrity, Azamara implemented, but IIRC, HAL did but later backtracked and refunded.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Yes, Royal changed the rules last year.... you used to be able to re-fare after final payment but that is no longer allowed.  Better practice is to watch fares before final payment and notify your travel agent to reprice the cruise.

Not in the last decade have they allowed that

• Like 1

I think some are alluding to the Cruise With Confidence program which allowed for cancellations and price changes up to 48 hours prior to the cruise starting, and after-final payment decreases being given as OBC.  But CWC ended 9/30/2022 for cruises that were covered by it.  Cruise With Confidence

1 minute ago, Anton said:

I think some are alluding to the Cruise With Confidence program which allowed for cancellations and price changes up to 48 hours prior to the cruise starting, and after-final payment decreases being given as OBC.  But CWC ended 9/30/2022 for cruises that were covered by it.  Cruise With Confidence

Yes, that is what I was referring to.....it was OBC and ended in September of last year.

46 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

We had an interesting event many years ago with Royal. We made a reservation and selected our stateroom. My wife decided a few weeks later that she would like to have a different stateroom. Both the old and new staterooms were the same class, just different location. The revised cost was $400 more. I called Royal and asked why. The agent said that when you moved your stateroom, that reservation was cancelled and a new reservation was made at the current price. So beware of changing staterooms as it might cost you more or less depending on the current price.

That shouldn't happen..... you can do a room change if it is the exact same category without repricing.  Are you sure you didn't change categories?

• Like 1

There is value in booking early for most people.  Some folks need to book flights and waiting to see if cruise prices go up or down could also result in different, more often higher, flight prices.  Some folks need to coordinate time off from work or with other events and don't want to wait to see if cabins will be cheaper or even available for booking at a later date.

Booking early benefits the cruise line but usually benefits the customer as well.  Some people only see a price drop closer to the cruise date but don't think about the value they realized by booking early.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, bentl1 said:

This is our 39th year of sailing with RCCL. In 39 years we've NEVER had an upgrade even once. If fact, we've had no consideration ever, for the years of loyalty. When RCCL finally went "computerized" we never got credit for four sailings we took in the Eighty's. Even after providing pictures of us on their ships, they only gave us credit for two out of six sailings. So, I gave up on that years ago. Now, another big slap in the face against us, on what may be our last cruise with them, we paid almost $1000 more than the current pricing for the exact same cabin ... the ship is no where near capacity for the sailing in three weeks. Literally, I've spent hours on the phone with RCCL and spoken to countless people about getting fair compensation. I've asked for one of three things. #1 refund the overpayment or #2 upgrade the cabin or #3 give us the liquor package and internet (which is actually less than what we overpaid). Without exception, every single person very, very emphatically told me I'm wasting my time ... RCCL will do nothing. I've even spoken directly to multiple regional sales managers and sent emails sharing the issue. We booked directly with RCCL while on another ship. I'm at a loss of what to do next ... trying to reach anyone at the Miami headquarters is pointless as they won't tell you who to talk to, and even if you did, they won't connect you. Has this happened to you before? We feel cheated and unappreciated ... ideas???

Why didn’t you just wait til now to book?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just got around to reading this post. First of all, the OP was very wrong in that they were not overcharged (charged exactly what they agreed to pay when booking the cruise) and did not pay too early (paid what they agreed to pay and when at the time of booking). What else I found confusing is that while OP claims to have been cruising for 39 years, nowhere is it ever mentioned how many cruises were taken during that time and how many were taken on RCI. 

In any event, as the saying goes, once the ring is on your finger, quit looking! 

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, gerif said:

What else I found confusing is that while OP claims to have been cruising for 39 years, nowhere is it ever mentioned how many cruises were taken during that time and how many were taken on RCI. 

In any event, as the saying goes, once the ring is on your finger, quit looking! 

This.

1 hour ago, day-day said:

There is value in booking early for most people.  Some folks need to book flights and waiting to see if cruise prices go up or down could also result in different, more often higher, flight prices.  Some folks need to coordinate time off from work or with other events and don't want to wait to see if cabins will be cheaper or even available for booking at a later date.

Booking early benefits the cruise line but usually benefits the customer as well.  Some people only see a price drop closer to the cruise date but don't think about the value they realized by booking early.

Absolutely. By the same token lines sometimes lower price after final payment because they need to fill space and people they are trying to attract will probably pay higher airfare and such . (Or not if they drive to port, but that's another issue).,

• Like 1

We've been given OBC for the amount the cruise was reduced.  If you ask for that you might have a better chance.  Maybe escalate your request.  They do not have to do this but I've heard that sometimes they do.  Good luck but enjoy the cruise no matter what and don't even think about the change in price.

20 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Absolutely. By the same token lines sometimes lower price after final payment because they need to fill space and people they are trying to attract will probably pay higher airfare and such . (Or not if they drive to port, but that's another issue).,

Best price is almost always just after final payment. 

2 hours ago, pcur said:

Call and ask for Loyalty Resolutions.  This is exactly what they are there to deal with.

Why?   So other folks with legitimate needs can wait on hold longer

while folks like this make irrational complaints and demands.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1