Diamond lounge on Symphony and the vouchers

Hi! 
We are going on Symphony in May and are diamond. I have been reading about the changes with drink vouchers and I know you can use your free drinks almost everywhere on the ship. How is the diamond lounge nowadays? Is there any advantage of going to diamond lounge during the evenings? Is the cocktail quality better in the lounge and do you still get some finger food to choose? I was wondering about the breakfast as well. How is the quality compared to other venues on the ship? 

Thanks for advice!

The DL on Symphony can get busy during happy hours. The only advantage is, as you said, having "finger foods"...the quality of drinks will vary. Continental breakfast is still served in the morning.

* On the Symphony, we prefer to visit the Schooner Bar, Playmakers, and/or the Trellis Bar...and get to know the bartenders. We are nice to all the bartenders and get good quality drinks.

Happy sailing.

21 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

The DL on Symphony can get busy during happy hours. The only advantage is, as you said, having "finger foods"...the quality of drinks will vary. Continental breakfast is still served in the morning.

* On the Symphony, we prefer to visit the Schooner Bar, Playmakers, and/or the Trellis Bar...and get to know the bartenders. We are nice to all the bartenders and get good quality drinks.

Happy sailing.

Thanks! We enjoy good cocktails (with right proportions!) so thank you for the recommendations. I think most of the cocktails and wines are included in the diamond voucher-price but do you pay the difference if you order something more expensive?

We have booked 3 night dining package. Is it easy to use the vouchers in the specialty restaurant when you are ordering wine by the glass? Do you have to tell the waiter you want use your diamond benefit? 

We sail mostly with Celebrity and havent been on Royal after covid…Thats why so many questions! 

Edited by travellerin1984

Also on Symphony in May and also 1st RC cruise since covid shutdown !

From what I've read here you can use vouchers anywhere except Bionic Bar (maybe one or two other places?)

I use to love the Diamond breakfast in the older ships where the lounge is up in the Viking Crown lounge but Oasis class doesn't have that.  I'll probably still get my morning coffee there. Not sure what the DL is like on Symphony. 

You pay the difference if you buy a more expensive glass of wine or cocktail (over $14).

Don't forget you can use a voucher now to get a discount on a bottle of wine. 40% on a bottle under $100

Edited by sgmn

2 hours ago, travellerin1984 said:

Thanks! We enjoy good cocktails (with right proportions!) so thank you for the recommendations. I think most of the cocktails and wines are included in the diamond voucher-price but do you pay the difference if you order something more expensive?

We have booked 3 night dining package. Is it easy to use the vouchers in the specialty restaurant when you are ordering wine by the glass? Do you have to tell the waiter you want use your diamond benefit? 

We sail mostly with Celebrity and havent been on Royal after covid…Thats why so many questions! 

We love Celebrity...but have cruised often with RCCL because of family.

Much like Celebrity, if you tip the bartenders (even a dollar a drink), you will have "good" drinks...and once you get to know the bartenders, you won't be charged the extra dollars...within reason.

Never a problem using your vouchers at specialty restaurants. Most servers will see your seapass card showing Diamond....or just simply say you are using your voucher.

I was on symphony in February. The diamond lounge was nice to get a little nibble but I found the drinks better elsewhere. I tend to favor strawberry daiquiris and they were not blended enough (icy), and way too much rum. I know to some people too much alcohol is a bonus but not me. It was easy to use drink vouchers in specialty restaurants. We had specialty dining every night and it was not a problem anywhere. 

IMHO.....with the DL being an enclosed windowless room down on deck four ....I don't find the draw to use it,  and you still have to use your same vouchers that you can use in any other lounge with more character.  

If I use it at all, it's just for coffee in the morning.  

Love the voucher program!  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, travellerin1984 said:

Hi! 
We are going on Symphony in May and are diamond. I have been reading about the changes with drink vouchers and I know you can use your free drinks almost everywhere on the ship. How is the diamond lounge nowadays? Is there any advantage of going to diamond lounge during the evenings? Is the cocktail quality better in the lounge and do you still get some finger food to choose? I was wondering about the breakfast as well. How is the quality compared to other venues on the ship? 

Thanks for advice!

Going to the DL is a personal preference. We like the DLs. The drinks served in the DL during the CAS HH are no longer from the pre covid DL drink menu. The drinks you order in the DL are from the same drinks menu served at any bar anywhere on the ship. We like to have a couple pre-dinner drinks and a cheese snack in the DL before heading to dinner.  We also like the all day CAS drinks (4,5 or 6) change. 

Edited by davekathy

18 hours ago, davekathy said:

Going to the DL is a personal preference. We like the DLs. The drinks served in the DL during the CAS HH are no longer from the pre covid DL drink menu. The drinks you order in the DL are from the same drinks menu served at any bar anywhere on the ship. We like to have a couple pre-dinner drinks and a cheese snack in the DL before heading to dinner.  We also like the all day CAS drinks (4,5 or 6) change. 

I should say the only "rare" time we go into the DL for happy hour...is because we have an invite to join two fabulous friends.   That makes it worth it.  🥰

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I should say the only "rare" time we go into the DL for happy hour...is because we have an invite to join two fabulous friends.   That makes it worth it.  🥰

Hi, we are Kathy and Dave and are DL loyalist...🤣🍷

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good thing about DL on RCI ships now they are not crowded due to the fact that rules about getting drinks are the same as in any bar (4-5-6 drinks per day).

Bad thing is DL on Oasis class do not have windows... and location is not perfect, so on this class of ships we rarely visit them during HH.

• Like 1

We enjoy stopping in to visit w/ fellow cruisers, some of which we’ve cruised with several times. Snacks are good, atmosphere generally casual,  and nice place to relax/play cards before we change for dinner. 

Edited by bucfan2

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

Good thing about DL on RCI ships now they are not crowded due to the fact that rules about getting drinks are the same as in any bar (4-5-6 drinks per day).

Bad thing is DL on Oasis class do not have windows... and location is not perfect, so on this class of ships we rarely visit them during HH.

We were on Quantum a few months ago, DL was packed every night with the back doors opening into the Music Hall for overflow. 

26 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

We were on Quantum a few ago, DL was packed every night with the back doors opening into the Music Hall for overflow. 

Not on Anthem.. in comparison to what it used to be.

And MH is a nice extension.

My favorite DL are on ships that have it in Viking Crown Lounge. We just use this lounge. Perfect place for sailaways from ports!

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

Hi, we are Kathy and Dave and are DL loyalist...🤣🍷

And we will be more than happy to join you in that addiction in the DL when we sail with you the next time.  Cheers my dear friend!!  🥰🍷   Oh...and don't forget your duck tape!!  🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

Allure does for now at least.  So there is that caveat.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, island lady said:

And we will be more than happy to join you in that addiction in the DL when we sail with you the next time.  Cheers my dear friend!!  🥰🍷   Oh...and don't forget your duck tape!!  🤣

Speaking of bars/lounges (I tried my damndest to stay on topic) while you guys are in Maui, do you plan on checking out Mick Fleetwood's Restaurant, "Fleetwood's On Front Street"?   

1 hour ago, Orange jeep said:

The DL happy hour snacks are really good!  The also have desserts.

They vary (like many things) greatly from ship to ship. They weren't very good on Indy in July or October. I can always find something though, even if it's just cheese and crackers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Speaking of bars/lounges (I tried my damndest to stay on topic) while you guys are in Maui, do you plan on checking out Mick Fleetwood's Restaurant, "Fleetwood's On Front Street"?   

Sounds interesting...never heard of it. Will check it out.   

Naturally we are going to "Mama's" (birthday) and the required Luau (anniversary).  😉 

Let's see....ummm  (try to stay on topic).    No decent DLs on Maui...drats. But I will be scanning the sea for Symphony! 😄 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

They vary (like many things) greatly from ship to ship. They weren't very good on Indy in July or October. I can always find something though, even if it's just cheese and crackers.

Love...love the cheese on the ship.   Bucky especially adores the "stinky cheese"....AKA Blue cheese when they have it.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Love...love the cheese on the ship.   Bucky especially adores the "stinky cheese"....AKA Blue cheese when they have it.  

Yeah, being "limited" to cheese and crackers on Indy wasn't the worst thing in the world. I just get distracted when there are appealing hot items like we had in the Harmony SL last year and I'd expect to find on Wonder in June. 😁

• Like 1

We were on Symphony in September. We went to the DL for our before dinner drink. Like getting to know the concierge. Used other bars after dinner. The breakfast was in one of the private restaurants. Next to where the suite passengers eat. Can't remember the name. Few people used it.