The Slogan, "I Love This Boat"

Jeter02

Random thought.... I wonder why they opted for the slogan, "I Love This Boat," as opposed to "I Love This Ship"?  I know so many crew love to jokingly correct passengers everything they say "boat," as they say this is not a boat it is a shop. 

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 2

• Jeter02 changed the title to The Slogan, "I Love This Boat"

Probably in reference to the TV show, The Love Boat, which is sort of Princess' claim to fame.

Personally I hate how Princess cannot move on from the show.  I'm from a younger generation and the show doesn't really resonate to me; I find the show very corny after having watched it on demand on Princess ships.  Princess recently tried to make a dating show The Real Love Boat, which was such a flop CBS dropped the show on national TV a few episodes in.  Princess really needs to move on from The Love Boat.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Probably in reference to the TV show, The Love Boat, which is sort of Princess' claim to fame.

Personally I hate how Princess cannot move on from the show.  I'm from a younger generation and the show doesn't really resonate to me; I find the show very corny after having watched it on demand on Princess ships.  Princess recently tried to make a dating show The Real Love Boat, which was such a flop CBS dropped the show on national TV a few episodes in.  Princess really needs to move on from The Love Boat.

I actually love the cheese ball factor to the TV show The Love Boat. Growing up my mom made us all watch all the oldies on TV including the love boat. This is when TV Land came out and it had all the classics and nostalgic shows. As for their reality show spin-off I thought that was just nonsense. Yet again I'm not into reality to begin with.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

Princess really needs to move on from The Love Boat.

Easier said than done.  SO MANY PEOPLE here and elsewhere got started with Princess either directly or indirectly because of that show.  Eventually those passengers will drift away, but why not trigger their nostalgia while they can?

• Like 2

Yep, Princess will never ditch The Love Boat. It's sort of like asking United Airlines to ditch Rhapsody in Blue. It's just a unique thing they have for nostalgic and branding reasons and to throw away all of that after decades of association and capital they've dedicated to the connection wouldn't be wise.

But the criticism that Princess could be more creative or meaningful with their Love Boat association is legitimate. The slogan/hashtag "I Love This Boat" / #ILoveThisBoat is generic enough that it covers a lot of bases if someone says it, but is now "connected" to Princess, it's trying to appeal to millennials/Gen Z, and still conjures up the Love Boat connection. But at the end of the day, it's still really vague and soulless, and in my mind, ironically less romantic than their "Escape Completely" or "Come Back New" eras.

I believe (ha ha) that they will keep the "Love Boat" because they are building bigger and bigger ships.

The Pacific Princess (Coral/Grand/etc) is/was...a boat that could fit inside the Sun.  

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The Pacific Princess (Coral/Grand/etc) is/was...a boat that could fit inside the Sun.  

Based on this photo I took in Genoa, Pacific Princess might fit on the Sky Princess’ Lido deck. ☺️

image.thumb.jpeg.8429ef0f2707488fa3501527dd1b71de.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kay S said:

"You can put a boat on a ship, but you can't put a ship on a boat."

For anyone who served in the Navy this distinction was pounded into our brains starting in boot camp…it was like fingernails on the chalkboard to refer to an aircraft carrier as a boat. 🤪

Growing up with the Love Boat that works for me but it’s still a ship. ☺️

Any cruise buddy who wants to mess with me calls it a boat just to see me cringe. 😳

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife and I find the show pretty idiotic. The ship's doctor would be sued up the wazoo these days. I watched it when I was young but don't watch it on the ship. Back then it was considered a pretty good show (Of course today we don't really watch any "regular" TV shows. We dislike all the commercials, laugh tracks, etc., find the sitcoms to be intolerable and the "drama" shows to be contrived. (Yeah, we are TV snobs.)

We did have a good talk with a really nice bar server in Crooner's one time. She said people in her village would gather at the house of someone who had a TV and watch The Love Boat. It was a really big deal to many of them when she got a job on "The Love Boat" and it made her a bit of a local celebrity. It's great to actually spend a bit of time talking with some of the crew (rather than treating them like servants the way some people seem to do). Hearing about their countries, their lives at home, their families, and their travels can be really interesting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

For anyone who served in the Navy this distinction was pounded into our brains starting in boot camp…it was like fingernails on the chalkboard to refer to an aircraft carrier as a boat. 🤪

My SIL served on the USS Kittyhawk and I learned that quote from him.  🙂

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

My SIL served on the USS Kittyhawk and I learned that quote from him.  🙂

I lived close to where it was berthed at North Island, but I never landed on that boat...😁

3 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Any cruise buddy who wants to mess with me calls it a boat just to see me cringe. 😳

For any airedale who served in the Navy... frigates, destroyers and cruisers might have been ships... but aircraft carriers were always BOATS! 😉

Edited by teecee60
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, teecee60 said:

For any airedale who served in the Navy... frigates, destroyers and cruisers might have been ships... but aircraft carriers were always BOATS! 😉

I was a V-2 Div green shirt Airdale hooking up aircraft to Midway’s starboard cat…it was an interesting experience. 

• Like 2

For the sake of accuracy, it just says "I Love This", not "I Love This Boat".

SO...it could be: "I love this boat", "I love this lifestyle", I love these people", "I love cruising"...

• Like 3