Random Silversea Questions - Door Decorations, Southampton Dock, & Binoculars

AandASailAway

Just now, Rothko1 said:

I suppose that the longer the cruise, the more likely someone might be to decorate their door.  Like college dorm doors, if you are going to be there for a while you might want to personalize it.

Christmas is the time that guests decorate their doors.

Just now, Mr Luxury said:

Christmas is the time that guests decorate their doors.

That's also the time of year most people decorate their homes, so putting decorations on a cabin door might be a way of extending the holiday spirit.

• Like 3

Googled hanging pineapple and learned something new.  Commonly hung upside down on cruise ships.   Another value added feature of CC.  Advanced education never ends.

Door decorations are few, but not far between year 'round.  It's been a growing phenomenon IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple of things.  On a recent cruise on the Moon there was an arts and crafts glass.  One class had the folks make really colorful  paper flowers.  About 25% of the people on our corridor had placed them on their doors.  Magnets, especially on longer cruisers were also on a lot of doors signifying where the folks have been.  All made the corridors more interesting.  I liked them. (we brought back our flowers and they are in our kitchen now)

Binoculars not so lucky.  The SS binoculars are mediocre to poor.  Absolutely bring your own.  Also keep them uncapped by your veranda door.  Sea critters pop up fast and they are gone, especially whales.. Fiddling with lens caps means your probably missed the attraction.  Another little tidbit.  When dining in the MDR ask for a table next to a window.  A number of times we have been accompanied by many dolphins.  We call the view out the window "Silversea TV."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 5:12 PM, Daveywavey70 said:

I Believe the said pineapple needs to be displayed upside down. So I've heard anyway 🙂 

Any idea where these upside down pineapples can be bought? 🤣

3 minutes ago, les37b said:

They probably won’t be friends if they found out who put it on their door!  😇

I Won’t tell. I Suppose it might be a good idea to keep one in your luggage in case their is ever a fellow passenger that particularly annoys you. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Won’t tell. I Suppose it might be a good idea to keep one in your luggage in case their is ever a fellow passenger that particularly annoys you. 

I'll be taking a couple of hundred then😀

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

It seems people decorate their doors because 1. it's fun and 2. it does make your room easier to spot so you don't walk past it when you had a few too many drinks.  This is more of an issue on mega ships where the hallways are very long.  

I would like to know if anyone hides ducks on Silversea.

17 hours ago, ArtofZen said:

It seems people decorate their doors because 1. it's fun and 2. it does make your room easier to spot so you don't walk past it when you had a few too many drinks.  This is more of an issue on mega ships where the hallways are very long.  

Nope. I had never even heard of it until recently but I can say, in 12 cruises the only duck I have seen is on the menu. I would say most people wouldn't even know what hiding them is referring to or why you would hide one. (I still don't get it to be honest). 

• Like 2

Nor me, but it I think it has apparently become a 'thing' on some lines.  People bring heaps of little presumably plastic ducks on board, and hide them around the ship.  I  think originally supposedly a 'fun' idea for kids on board.  Maybe I lack a sense of humour, but seems utterly stupid to me.

Nothing to do with swingers or similar.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ArtofZen said:

And do they do the same in luxury hotels?? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

And do they do the same in luxury hotels?? 

The Stafford Hotel in London, which I absolutely love, has a modest sized yellow rubber duck in their bathrooms.  It seems everyone take them. Then there are matching mini version of the same on the net.  I have had 4 of them arrayed in my guest bathroom for years.  Always good for a laugh.  Then last cruise on the Moon, there was a woman doing crafts every morning on sea days, creating paper flowers, all sorts of colorful stuff, which found the way to a lot of doors. I thought it was very cool.  

• Like 2