Beverage Shortages and Other Cuts

Passengers currently on Westerdam in Japan are reporting shortages of some alcohols, seltzers, and black tea.  There may be a shortage or lighter handedness of seasonings and commandments such as garlic and horseradish.  Entertainment cuts include musicians for the Lincoln Center Stage only being onboard through part of the sailings. 

For those currently sailing on other ships, recently disembarked, or read this thread in the near future, are you noticing similar cuts across the fleet?  We sail in less than 3 weeks, and will add our own observations as well.

I was on a few cruises last fall that ran out of some of my favorite beverages.  It happened on cruises as far back as 2012 for me. These were short 10-11 day cruises, not exotic transoceanic trips!

My feeling is that the beverage issue is more of a case of poor procurement management.  Sure, on some of the odd ones we were told that the shipment didn't get to the port.  But leaving from US ports how can they not get several different beers, wines, Diet Coke, and pickled beets? 

Back in 2012 it was hard to believe that in the whole city of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area they couldn't get ahold of any cases of Bud Light!  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Back in 2012 it was hard to believe that in the whole city of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area they couldn't get ahold of any cases of Bud Light!  

Which cruise line was this?  The problem currently on Westerdam isn't just running out of a brand, but all direct substitutions.

On HAL.  The 2012 cruise was when I was a big Bud Light drinker so when they ran out of that I switched to Miller Lite, then when that ran out there was one more brand that ran out until the only light beer left was Amstel Light which I don't like!  And no, I wasn't the one that drank them out of the inventory!!!

😁

It was kind of funny back then because I thought it was a one off, but now having it still be an issue on several of the fleet's ships it's not so funny anymore.

~Nancy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really dislike HAL’s practice of bringing you wine ordered by the glass in a pre-poured flask. I know there have been times on this cruise (Westerdam) where I’ve ordered the very drinkable NZ Sauvignon blanc included in the HIA and they have substituted something else. But how does one protest without seeming ugly? Pouring from the bottle eliminates all such questions.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I really dislike HAL’s practice of bringing you wine ordered by the glass in a pre-poured flask. I know there have been times on this cruise (Westerdam) where I’ve ordered the very drinkable NZ Sauvignon blanc included in the HIA and they have substituted something else. But how does one protest without seeming ugly? Pouring from the bottle eliminates all such questions.

I don't remember flasks in 2019.  They should be open and honest about shortages and give you the choice of an alternative.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Could be wine that's been opened for days, or perhaps - dare I suggest - cask wine (not sure what you call cask/box/bag wine in the US, but you know what I mean). We're on the Westerdam next week so I think I'll do what some others on Hank's thread have suggested and take a couple of glasses of wine in with us from one of the bars.

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

That must be ship to ship.  I always have a pour directly from a bottle at my table. 

I do not know which voyage the OP is discussing but shortages are common on long voyages. Provisions are only acquired at specific ports with specific contractors.   This has always been the procedure.

True cutbacks I have noticed are items no longer offered.   For example, premium ice cream is only free on grand voyages. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Presenting the bottle, vintage, and allowing your taste and approval is part of the process of ordering wine. You can politely ask for the wine steward and say, I'm not sure if this is the vintage that I ordered, it tastes off. You can politely tell them that it tastes off. I guarantee if you do this once, they will probably go out of their way to make sure you are happy with the wine.

That is a huge part of the decorum of any restaurant. They should respect your request.

Also, I learned that no one can tell you what wine tastes good - what I mean is that every mouth has between 2000-4000 taste buds in it and every wine tastes different to each individual. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Presenting the bottle, vintage, and allowing your taste and approval is part of the process of ordering wine. You can politely ask for the wine steward and say, I'm not sure if this is the vintage that I ordered, it tastes off. You can politely tell them that it tastes off. I guarantee if you do this once, they will probably go out of their way to make sure you are happy with the wine.

That is a huge part of the decorum of any restaurant. They should respect your request.

Also, I learned that no one can tell you what wine tastes good - what I mean is that every mouth has between 2000-4000 taste buds in it and every wine tastes different to each individual. 

Lines seem to think they can short cut this process when you’re ordering wine by the glass, especially when you have the HIA package. They take liberties with substitutions, assuming you’ll “take what they’ve got” as long as it is under the $$ threshold. Celebrity does it too but if you watch carefully you can catch them at it as they do at least pour from the bottle.

Most of those bringing out the wine orders are not what I’d call wine stewards. I had one on X argue with me that the horrid white Zinfandel she was about to pour me was a valid substitute for the French rose I had ordered. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Lines seem to think they can short cut this process when you’re ordering wine by the glass, especially when you have the HIA package. They take liberties with substitutions, assuming you’ll “take what they’ve got” as long as it is under the $$ threshold. Celebrity does it too but if you watch carefully you can catch them at it as they do at least pour from the bottle.

Most of those bringing out the wine orders are not what I’d call wine stewards. I had one on X argue with me that the horrid white Zinfandel she was about to pour me was a valid substitute for the French rose I had ordered. 

Yes, it seems post-Covid "we can't have nice things" in all aspects of life. I had the level 1 wine package on my last HAL and was happy when they substituted the included Rose with Whispering Angel. I would have pushed back on the White Zin as well ☺️ Leaving Friday for the Scottish highlands cruise. May the rest of your cruise be filled with good (at least drinkable) wine. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

That must be ship to ship.  I always have a pour directly from a bottle at my table. 

That was our experience on the Oosterdam last year, the bottle was brought to the table and poured into our glasses. We had the standard HIA beverage package.

6 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

That was our experience on the Oosterdam last year, the bottle was brought to the table and poured into our glasses. We had the standard HIA beverage package.

Not this week.

and no hickory smoked bacon since April 10 th. On Oosterdam.

11 minutes ago, dog said:

Not this week.

and no hickory smoked bacon since April 10 th. On Oosterdam.

There should be no excuses for running out of Bacon. Sounds like HAL has issues with it's procurement department.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

For those currently sailing on other ships, recently disembarked, or read this thread in the near future, are you noticing similar cuts across the fleet? 

We disembarked the Oosterdam last week...4/10/23 after 19 awesome South American days. 

There was a minor horseradish crisis one evening during prime rib night but it was quickly handled the next time prime rib was on the menu.  We survived.  

Also, we ordered Sommelier Package #1 (the cheap package) and as usual, we learned that many of the wines were not available so on 5 of the 8 bottles, we were treated with a wine from package 2 and 3.  We survived.

Looking forward to our next dam ship cruise.....We will endure the perceived cuts and continue to sail on! We find cruising now to be the best ever!

• Like 6

I was on the same cruise as FlaMariner, and they were out of half & half for coffee when we boarded.  Part way through the cruise, maybe in Lima, they restocked, but that supply only lasted until we got to Panama, I think.  I rarely drink, but heard other passengers saying that the ship was out of their favorite alcoholic beverages, as well as out of all diet sodas.  I'm a coffee/tea/water person, so the only thing that affected moi was the lack of half & half.  It was brutal!🤪

Edited by Taters

20 minutes ago, Taters said:

I was on the same cruise as FlaMariner, and they were out of half & half for coffee when we boarded. 

But we suffered thru it all taters!  The horror of it all.....LOL. 

Are y'all still having cruise withdrawal?  We miss Captn Kevin's noon announcement along with everything else about those 19 days.......Great cruise. 

• Haha 1

No half & half?  It could be untrained staff.  One day I poured a nice full  glass of milk to go with one of the few desserts I indulge in and it was a whole glass of half and half - yuk.  My DH gladly obliged to drink it with his dessert.  Both dispensers were half and half, not a drop of milk available- we didn’t ask

37 minutes ago, highscar said:

Sorry, what is half and half. Where I live it is milk and cream mix. 

That is what half and half is - a mixture of  cream and milk.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Are y'all still having cruise withdrawal?  We miss Captn Kevin's noon announcement along with everything else about those 19 days.......Great cruise. 

2 hours ago, Taters said:

I was on the same cruise as FlaMariner, and they were out of half & half for coffee when we boarded.  Part way through the cruise, maybe in Lima, they restocked, but that supply only lasted until we got to Panama, I think.  I rarely drink, but heard other passengers saying that the ship was out of their favorite alcoholic beverages, as well as out of all diet sodas.  I'm a coffee/tea/water person, so the only thing that affected moi was the lack of half & half.  It was brutal!🤪

Hi you all,

We are definitely missing Captain Kevin and all his announcements, talks and humor.  I remember the horseradish issue one night when prime rib was on the menu.  The wine we drank was always available and when they ran our of the scotch Brad likes, they substitutes with a better one!!  We usually got our drinks at the Ocean Bar.  But we were told by our waiter that they were running low on some items but it didn't affect us.

Happy cruising.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

That's great that you had a great time and are having cruise withdrawals.  The purpose of this thread is to evaluate shortages across the fleet, and to see if the situation improves or slides over the next few weeks or months.  Shortages will affect each person differently based on how much a missing item matters to them, alternatives offered, and their loyalty to HAL.

• Like 1