Anyone bring unsealed food items onboard?

Yankee6

Going on NCL escape in June its my fifth cruise (first NCL) and have always in the past brought any leftover snacks from my flight onboard and never had an issue.  I cant say if the other cruiselines ive been on had the same policy, but I suspect so.  I saw on NCL website it states Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard so I wanted to get peoples experience with this.  Thanks.

6 minutes ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Why would anyone do this? Of all the things you could possibly need to bring on board a cruise ship...the literally very last thing is food. 

They arent being brought on board to eat on the ship.   Ive been dieting for months so I can eat what I want on my trip and that starts on the plane.  I usually have leftovers from my flight and would prefer to take them on board for the flight home rather than throw them out. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Why would anyone do this? Of all the things you could possibly need to bring on board a cruise ship...the literally very last thing is food. 

I agree, but I have a mighty taco addiction, lol

7 minutes ago, complawyer said:

not true. we bring pretzels, candy bars, hard candies, etc. 

candy bars and hard candies are sealed, were the pretzels bags open?  Did they even look in the bags anyway?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Yankee6 said:

They arent being brought on board to eat on the ship.   Ive been dieting for months so I can eat what I want on my trip and that starts on the plane.  I usually have leftovers from my flight and would prefer to take them on board for the flight home rather than throw them out. 

ah, can you provide an example of the snack? I'm trying to picture what you are refering to

1 minute ago, nimbex1970 said:

ah, can you provide an example of the snack? I'm trying to picture what you are refering to

like bags of chips, pistacios,  Trader joes dark chocolate pb cups which are not individually sealed

• Like 1

all the bags. candies, and goodies that i bring on board are sealed in bags. we buy them before leaving, pack them up and dont open them until we get to our cabin.  i have a horrible craving for a snickers bar and a pepsi or coke in the morning, we also bring a bag of butterscotch hard candy, sees lollipops ( los angeles candy company if anyone doesnt recognize the name) actually anything that's edible, under those categories mentioned we have brought onto the ship with no problems.

can you even imagine security confiscating an unopened  bag of jelly beans, chewing gum or life savers?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yankee6 said:

Going on NCL escape in June its my fifth cruise (first NCL) and have always in the past brought any leftover snacks from my flight onboard and never had an issue.  I cant say if the other cruiselines ive been on had the same policy, but I suspect so.  I saw on NCL website it states Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard so I wanted to get peoples experience with this.  Thanks.

So, you clearly know the rules. Follow the rules. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, complawyer said:

all the bags. candies, and goodies that i bring on board are sealed in bags. we buy them before leaving, pack them up and dont open them until we get to our cabin.  i have a horrible craving for a snickers bar and a pepsi or coke in the morning, we also bring a bag of butterscotch hard candy, sees lollipops ( los angeles candy company if anyone doesnt recognize the name) actually anything that's edible, under those categories mentioned we have brought onto the ship with no problems.

can you even imagine security confiscating an unopened  bag of jelly beans, chewing gum or life savers?

Can I just add how much I LOVE See’s?

• Like 2

@Yankee6

Like you, I have snacks from the plane that I might not have finished. For convenience I always pack zip top bags for any unfinished snacks and this keeps any crumbs or stray gummy bears from getting loose.  I have never had NCL security look through my bags or prevent these snacks from coming on board.  I do carry on only so everything is with me at boarding.  I also pack a little plastic container with a lid just in case.  I’ve never had a taco emergency but you never know when one might happen!

Enjoy your cruise and your snacks!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

@Yankee6

Like you, I have snacks from the plane that I might not have finished. For convenience I always pack zip top bags for any unfinished snacks and this keeps any crumbs or stray gummy bears from getting loose.  I have never had NCL security look through my bags or prevent these snacks from coming on board.  I do carry on only so everything is with me at boarding.  I also pack a little plastic container with a lid just in case.  I’ve never had a taco emergency but you never know when one might happen!

Enjoy your cruise and your snacks!

Thanks very much thats what i figured.  I will take my chances with that information and expect theres about a 90% chance I wont have any problem.  If they went through everyones bags looking for snacks it would take them 2 days to get the ship boarded lol.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So, you clearly know the rules. Follow the rules. 

The rules also state that no food is to be taken off the ship, yet I have read your posts about taking the M&Ms from the butler off in ports. You know the rules too.

Does everyone follow every rule? No.

Should people be nice to others on Cruise Critic? Yes. 

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 14
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

You state that you bring goodies in sealed bags...the OP is asking about UNsealed food from the plane. I was imagining a sandwich or something like that, which they wanted for the ride home 7 days later. 

As far as snacks, I do not take any snacks onboard the ship, sealed or unsealed. There is plenty to eat on the ship and if I want something for my room, I get cookies, pretzel sticks and cheese or yogurt from the buffet and eat it later.

I did purchase a sandwich once from a favorite restaurant at a port stop in San Francisco, thinking I would take it back on the ship and enjoy on my balcony.  Nope...security saw the bag and would not let me bring onboard. So I walked off and ate it on the grassy area near where the ship was docked. No way was I going to toss it out!

• Like 1

I have never had a problem with a half eaten bag of airline snacks (nuts, candy etc). Never even occurred to me. 

I HAVE had a problem with my filled reusable water bottle so dump that out before going inside the terminal!

• Like 1

I usually have gum and hard candies in my purse when I fly (ear pressure issues) and haven't had a problem.  But, they are individually wrapped, not sealed.  I would think if you have a ziploc bag with you to put the leftover snacks in, it probably won't be an issue.

4 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Was denied boarding with Thai mangoes in Singapore.  Had to go to the back of the line and eat them before getting on the Jewel.

not surprising they are very strict about fruits going on or off the ship

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

For the life of me, WHY would anyone want to bring food ONTO a cruise ship?...

Maybe gummy bears and m&ms so they can pretend they have a butler?

Edited by rxlowry
Error
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6