Doing laundry on Princess ships question

Cessna140

Hi,

I have a question for those of you who did laundry onboard. Is cold water wash available? I was just reading some of the fine print in the Princess info and it stated that all washers and dryers had been set to the highest heat level available. Hoping that the temp can be adjusted....

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Cessna140 said:

Hi,

I have a question for those of you who did laundry onboard. Is cold water wash available? I was just reading some of the fine print in the Princess info and it stated that all washers and dryers had been set to the highest heat level available. Hoping that the temp can be adjusted....

Thanks

Yes, you can opt to wash in cold, warm, or hot.  The dryers only have high heat setting though.

• Like 1

I dry most of my clothes about 20 minutes and then hang in room to finish drying.  Even at home I  don't fully dry my pants/shorts/blouses/shirts or anything I don't want wrinkled. For socks/gym clothes/blue jeans/hankies that I'm not concerned about the high heat/ hot water  will be sent to the ships laundry 

Edited by coo359a2
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, theloo said:

On a related note:  how do you pay for tokens?  Do you need quarters or do you use your medallion?

The medallion is all you need to purchase washer tokens, dryer tokens and detergent tokens.

I don’t remember settings.  Not sure if you can see in the photos below, but there are multiple settings.

IMG_2881.jpeg

IMG_2880.jpeg

IMG_2879.jpeg

Edited by BamaVol
  • Thanks 2

We did laundry a couple of times on Princess. We purchased tide laundry travel packets from Amazon. Put them in a zip lock bag and maybe a few dryer sheets toss them in your luggage and your all set.

91gzh7jBSKL._SS100_.jpg

They have very normal coin-op laundromat equipment.  Token driven, of course.  So, you do have water temp and cycle selections on the washers.  That photo in the thread is excellent, and those Maytag commercial washers are excellent washers.

I would like to save some time for anyone who will use the laundry. This is based on 8 - 10 recent cruises and my experiences. There are almost zero written instructions in the laundry rooms that I have been in and you can waste a lot of time trying to figure it out

1.) You need tokens for the washer and the dryer and these are sold in every laundry on each floor and you purchase them by using your medallion 

2.) Even though there are 4-5 slots on the washer/dryer for the tokens you only need one token per load

3.) The one token can only go in the token slot that has a little notch below the opening whether it is the washer or the dryer

4.) The token machines are frequently broken/jammed. If you find the token machine to be working buy the tokens that you will need for the whole cruise

Good luck and I hope that I saved you some time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

14 hours ago, Ombud said:

GSD gives elites free tokens for wash, dry, products plus i washed in cold water with 4 settings on dryers 

is that a current fleetwide 'unannounced' perk? - or a one off (for any reason - broken token machine, etc)

11 minutes ago, voljeep said:
14 hours ago, Ombud said:

GSD gives elites free tokens for wash, dry, products plus i washed in cold water with 4 settings on dryers 

is that a current fleetwide 'unannounced' perk? - or a one off (for any reason - broken token machine, etc)

There wasn't anything wrong with the machines nor an unusual delay in getting laundry returned. Frankly I prefer cold wash and it doesn't take very long .... just like an hour and the load included 2 pr jeans, + a jean skirt so not lightweight material 

Edited by Ombud

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Since becoming Elite many years ago, have never asked for free tokens at GS or had any friends mention that you could get free tokens at GS.  Might ask at GS on our Sky Princess cruise in June if this is a new perk fleet wide. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clampram said:

I would like to save some time for anyone who will use the laundry. This is based on 8 - 10 recent cruises and my experiences. There are almost zero written instructions in the laundry rooms that I have been in and you can waste a lot of time trying to figure it out

1.) You need tokens for the washer and the dryer and these are sold in every laundry on each floor and you purchase them by using your medallion 

2.) Even though there are 4-5 slots on the washer/dryer for the tokens you only need one token per load

3.) The one token can only go in the token slot that has a little notch below the opening whether it is the washer or the dryer

4.) The token machines are frequently broken/jammed. If you find the token machine to be working buy the tokens that you will need for the whole cruise

Good luck and I hope that I saved you some time

If you encounter a non-functional token dispenser, you can just move up or down to an adjacent deck to find one that works. Then you either do your laundry there or take the tokens back to your preferred deck. 

9 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

If you encounter a non-functional token dispenser, you can just move up or down to an adjacent deck to find one that works. Then you either do your laundry there or take the tokens back to your preferred deck. 

or you can - PRO TIP - have your tokens already if you know you are going to be doing laundry

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

or you can - PRO TIP - have your tokens already if you know you are going to be doing laundry

We had not planned on doing laundry. Then one of us discovered he had only packed 8 pair of socks for a 10 day cruise. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

We did laundry a couple of times on Princess. We purchased tide laundry travel packets from Amazon. Put them in a zip lock bag and maybe a few dryer sheets toss them in your luggage and your all set.

91gzh7jBSKL._SS100_.jpg

I noticed on the Amazon description of this product says that this product is for sink washing only and not for use in automatic machines.

Just use regular laundry detergent pods.

21 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

I noticed on the Amazon description of this product says that this product is for sink washing only and not for use in automatic machines.

We use the below detergent sheets, they work great and very easy to pack!

Screenshot_20230330-094605_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.b910015ccb6a46a1fcfab45d21f28284.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

I was just looking for the picture as an example. Yes, you can use the pods. We found the packets travel better.

Here is the proper picture and link.

Amazon.com: Tide 9 Piece 1-Load Travel Packets, 10.6 Ounce : Health & Household

Tide 9 Piece 1-Load Travel Packets, 10.6 Ounce

6 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

I was just looking for the picture as an example. Yes, you can use the pods. We found the packets travel better.

Here is the proper picture and link.

Amazon.com: Tide 9 Piece 1-Load Travel Packets, 10.6 Ounce : Health & Household

Tide 9 Piece 1-Load Travel Packets, 10.6 Ounce

You can also buy these packets at Walmart, Target and even the supermarkets.

6 hours ago, BamaVol said:

We had not planned on doing laundry. Then one of us discovered he had only packed 8 pair of socks for a 10 day cruise. 

Just wash a couple of pairs of sock in the sink and hang them on the line in shower to dry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, travellingnana said:

FYI. On the Crown recently you didn’t need to feed tokens into the washer/dryers. You just pushed the coin slot in, and it would start. Don’t know about other ships, but it’s worth a try before you pay for tokens!

It was this way on Discovery a few months ago...