The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday April 24th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

13 minutes ago, atexsix said:

@Cruising-along Sounds like we have similar plans for our "heat wave" later this week.  So I'm going to have to go from heat, to air conditioning, and back to heat in less than a week, welcome to Washington!

@grapau27 We were 41 last week one day and they said it was the coldest April day in 125 years, so we sent it your way.

@dobiemom <waving>

@dfish I think this is the strangest weather year in recent memory

@StLouisCruisers LOVE the celebration tree!  I've been looking for seasonal decorating ideas now that Easter is over and it's too early for the patriotic summer stuff.

Our local temperature April records.

Screenshot_20230424_193317.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, atexsix said:

@Cruising-along Sounds like we have similar plans for our "heat wave" later this week.  So I'm going to have to go from heat, to air conditioning, and back to heat in less than a week, welcome to Washington!

@grapau27 We were 41 last week one day and they said it was the coldest April day in 125 years, so we sent it your way.

@dobiemom <waving>

@dfish I think this is the strangest weather year in recent memory

@StLouisCruisers LOVE the celebration tree!  I've been looking for seasonal decorating ideas now that Easter is over and it's too early for the patriotic summer stuff.

Bruno, glad you like the celebration tree.  I love the margarita glasses!  She buys things to decorate at Hobby Lobby and Target.  Other things she actually makes with her Glowforge machine which uses a 3-D laser to cut thin materials into any shape she wants.  Maybe think about a Cinco de Mayo theme for your seasonal decorating.  It's coming up a week from Friday though.  Good luck!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Love the memes today Jacqui!  Especially being 11 feet too short!  Hilarious!  Hope you have a good week and not too painful therapy Wednesday.

Thanks I wish Wednesday was physio.  It’s not - it’s surgery and having done this once before (sadly) for my other elbow under a local I might have to let a scream out.  Hope not.  

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  We are off to the vets this morning with our elderly not so well Irving. We want to ask our options for him at the vets.  He would starve to death if left at the house, as he only wants to eat human food, and lost a massive amount of weight last year when we were gone for 11 days.  This time we will be gone for a much longer time, and the cat feeder/carer /litter bix cleaner did not when asked to, give him "human" food that we had for him.  He is always unconfortable and is in pain, and howls a lot, and I have felt for a long time that it was "his time".  DH is finally in agreement, but wants to check if we board him, while we are gone, would it make a difference?

So sorry you are dealing with this.  Such a tough decision.  I don’t like the sound of the pain at all 😔 I hope the vet can give you some good guidance.  If Irving hasn’t been boarded before I’m not sure if that would be wise at his age but hopefully your vet can help in that regard.  My sincere sympathy on the tough decision pending 😢 

6 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Yesterday was very difficult. I was unable to stay for the whole service. Luckily my DS and DDIL were there and took me home. I had my very first anxiety/ panic attack. I started to feel it when I entered the building and by the time I went through the line of family members I was shaking and felt a weight on my chest. The grief was palpable and I felt awful. It was just too soon from DH and DS death to experience this. I felt guilty leaving but I did not want anyone to focus on me when it needed to be about them. 

I  am so sorry you suffered so.  I completely understand and please don’t feel guilty.  You did the best you could and just going took an enormous amount of strength IMO.  Grief is an overwhelming thing and sometimes it just overpowers.  I hope you feel better soon and I think (hope) your adventure in Norway may be very helpful.  🙏🏻 

@StLouisCruisers love the Cinco de Mayo tree.  I touches a special place in my heart.

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Much cooler in MD today.  I put some annuals in baskets this weekend.  I think I’ll bring them in tonight in case of frost.421DBEC1-0068-4931-8221-C64E53247C8D.thumb.jpeg.6914379e380bab6d821140cd733a3dc2.jpeg

I am SO jealous.  Too soon still to put mine out. 😔 

27 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We had wonderful aurora last night, it was cloudy but we went for a drive and we’re well rewarded.  Some really looked like celestial beings,  it was truly wonderful. 

IMG_2225.jpeg

IMG_1271.jpeg

IMG_2224.jpeg

IMG_2204.jpeg

IMG_2203.jpeg

IMG_2232.jpeg

How nice you were able to see this 👍. Fabulous pics - thanks for sharing 🙂 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Thank you RNB! We are very sorry that we weren't able to connect last year. However, we figure it can't happen twice (can it?), so we have again booked on the Nieuw Statendam, December 17-January 7th. And we are also on the Zuiderdam out of Quebec on Sept 30th. All sorts of opportunities, ya know? 😉

Sorry,  no can do. Only booked on Eurodam in November and Celebrity in December.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm sorry Jacqui @kazu I didn't realize you were having surgery again.  I hope all goes as planned and it's not as bad as last time.  Scream if you have to!

The pins/wires whatever the heck they are have to come out.  One is nearly coming right through the skin and is very painful to touch.  My surgeon is doing it as soon as he dares (wanted the bone to heal as much as possible).  I don’t know if it is too soon to remove the other hardware out as well or not.  It all has to come out, sooner or later.  I guess I’ll find out on Wednesday.  Trust me, it’s not fun and no, I won’t be watching.  DH did last time and marvelled at his skill.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  We are off to the vets this morning with our elderly not so well Irving. We want to ask our options for him at the vets.  He would starve to death if left at the house, as he only wants to eat human food, and lost a massive amount of weight last year when we were gone for 11 days.  This time we will be gone for a much longer time, and the cat feeder/carer /litter bix cleaner did not when asked to, give him "human" food that we had for him.  He is always unconfortable and is in pain, and howls a lot, and I have felt for a long time that it was "his time".  DH is finally in agreement, but wants to check if we board him, while we are gone, would it make a difference?

Edvard-munch-the-scream.Jpg

So sorry you are dealing with this, so I thought I'd pipe in since cat care is my biggest worry while away.  I don't think you mentioned his age, but it does sound like it might be time for the rainbow bridge.  I think boarding would be more reliable (I've also had in home sitters that did not follow instructions and kitty ended up at the vet hospital anyway); however, the stress of boarding is difficult for cats.  Tuff decisions and praying it all goes well. 

• Like 17

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. 
I like pigs in a blanket, we should not forget the Armenian genocide, and I occasionally scream, usually in frustration. I’ve been to Puerto Quetzal, but my photos are on my PC.

I’m sitting on my veranda, enjoying the sound of the sea. Yesterday’s dinner was in the Greek-themed restaurant and I had short ribs that were delicious. I haven’t sampled the night life, as we’re eating a bit late, and with dinner and some wine, I’m ready to call it a night somewhat early. We arrive in Bermuda tomorrow morning. 

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for keeping the FR/Daily going, with @richwmn’s help. 
@superoma Great job on the lists!

@Mr. Boston Welcome home. I hope we could give you a bit of comfort during this difficult time.
@cruising sister I’m sorry the service was so difficult for you. Take care of yourself. 
@marshhawk It sounds like you may have a difficult decision to make, but I’m sure you’ll do what’s best for Irving. 
@Ichiban Nekko Welcome home. It sounds like you had a great trip!

@kazu Best of luck with the surgery. 

@mamaofami Prayers for Sam. 

I don’t know why the font size changed. I’m not used to doing this on an iPad. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List. 
Be well everyone. 

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

Thanks again to all that make this thread possible. It is a lot of work to keep it going for us to enjoy. Yesterday was very difficult. I was unable to stay for the whole service. Luckily my DS and DDIL were there and took me home. I had my very first anxiety/ panic attack. I started to feel it when I entered the building and by the time I went through the line of family members I was shaking and felt a weight on my chest. The grief was palpable and I felt awful. It was just too soon from DH and DS death to experience this. I felt guilty leaving but I did not want anyone to focus on me when it needed to be about them. 

My hopes is getting away and focusing on something else will continue to help the healing process. I  really am looking forward to seeing Norway. My DGS and I watch Ice Road Rescue which takes place in Norway. He wants me to go find them. I don’t have the heart to tell him I will not be near where they live.  I will pick up some Norway souvenirs for him. 

Have a great day. 

I am sorry for the anguish you are feeling.  Don't feel guilty about leaving, you did the right thing.  Your friend knows you care and are there for her. I'm thinking that since this service was for your departed DS's friend, it brought on a lot of the pain.   I hope Norway helps you through the healing process.  It is a beautiful country and there is so much to focus on.  What are  your ports?   I've been twice and my favorites are Flam, Geiranger, and Eidfjord.

5 hours ago, superoma said:

The first one sounds great. I would us tvp(textured vegetable protein) instead of meat. Even my non vegetarian ladies in my Wednesday group like it when I use it. The mouth feel is just like ground beef and being a soy product it takes on the taste of the sauces. I am, however, still working on a recipe to get them to accept tofu!

Ok, if you can get them to accept tofu, let us know.  I just can't bring myself to eat it, but I have a vegetarian friend who is a picky eater.  He's a vegetarian that doesn't like vegetables.  Yes, my eyebrows went up at that.  So, I'd like to expand my repertoire of dishes that I can serve to him and that the rest of us might like.  I have used the tvp before.

19 minutes ago, kazu said:

The pins/wires whatever the heck they are have to come out.  One is nearly coming right through the skin and is very painful to touch.  My surgeon is doing it as soon as he dares (wanted the bone to heal as much as possible).  I don’t know if it is too soon to remove the other hardware out as well or not.  It all has to come out, sooner or later.  I guess I’ll find out on Wednesday.  Trust me, it’s not fun and no, I won’t be watching.  DH did last time and marvelled at his skill.

Hoping all goes well for you, Jacqui.  I wouldn't watch either!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

Much cooler in MD today.  I put some annuals in baskets this weekend.  I think I’ll bring them in tonight in case of frost.421DBEC1-0068-4931-8221-C64E53247C8D.thumb.jpeg.6914379e380bab6d821140cd733a3dc2.jpeg

Very pretty! I'll have to enjoy others' hanging baskets.   I made the sad decision this year to not put any up.  The reason is that the last few years the birds build nests in them and then I can't water the flowers.  I'm not going to go to any more expense and work just to have to let them die. Last year I did put pokey things in the nest and they stayed out of it, but it's just a lot of trouble.

They also nest in a small tree I have, but that's ok -- I'm just baffled though why they would nest so close to the ground where cats can easily get to them (??)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dfish said:

He's a vegetarian that doesn't like vegetables.  Yes, my eyebrows went up at that. 

That seems to be more common than I would have thought. The daughter of a friend became vegetarian when she was about 9, but to tell the truth, she only ate potatoes.

• Like 16

@dfish and @superoma.. regarding tofu 

When DH was at MD Anderson in Houston for radiation treatment, the dietitian recommended more of a plant based diet. DH does not eat mushy food, it’s a texture thing.  So I blenderized tofu with a little almond or coconut milk and added the slurry to soups, stews, cake batter, brownies, muffins, pancakes, lasagna, fried croquets, chocolate shakes…. just about anything I could think of. DH knew it was there, I wasn’t hiding it, but as long as he wasn’t asked to eat mushy foods he was ok. Basically, I used the tofu slurry in place of a white sauce, ricotta cheese, or as a milk or cream ingredient. It can be flavored with vanilla, sweetener (I used Truvia), or savory herbs. 

I tried frying it but he just couldn’t manage that. 
m—

ps. I loved the HEB stores there!  Best supermarkets ever!  

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 16

6 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

That seems to be more common than I would have thought. The daughter of a friend became vegetarian when she was about 9, but to tell the truth, she only ate potatoes.

My friend only ate bread at one lunch we had.  

1 minute ago, RMLincoln said:

When DH was at MD Anderson in Houston for radiation treatment, the dietitian recommended more if a plant based diet. DH does not eat mushy food, it’s a texture thing.  So I blenderized tofu with a little almond or coconut milk and added the slurry to soups, stews, cake batter, brownies, muffins, pancakes, lasagna, fried croquets, chocolate shakes…. just about anything I could think of. DH knew it was there, I wasn’t hiding it, but as long as he wasn’t asked to eat mushy foods he was ok. Basically, I used the tofu slurry in place of a white sauce, ricotta cheese, or as a milk or cream ingredient. It can be flavored with vanilla, sweetener (I used Truvia), or savory herbs. 

m—

Well, I guess I would skip this part.  I don't need the extra protein as I can eat the meat.  

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Very pretty! I'll have to enjoy others' hanging baskets.   I made the sad decision this year to not put any up.  The reason is that the last few years the birds build nests in them and then I can't water the flowers.  I'm not going to go to any more expense and work just to have to let them die. Last year I did put pokey things in the nest and they stayed out of it, but it's just a lot of trouble.

They also nest in a small tree I have, but that's ok -- I'm just baffled though why they would nest so close to the ground where cats can easily get to them (??)

Ooh - Garden Club time.  I do have hanging baskets - 9 of them in the house by the back door getting ready to bloom.  The others will wait.  Every year my little Mexican birds build nests in them.  I use those bottles I showed one year to water as it drips and put my finger in the basket first to make sure I’m not hitting the nest and they don’t seem to mind a bit.  Kind of fun to watch the babies.  It’s not uncommon to find a nest when I clean out the big planters as they are protected from the hose.  The birds and my flowers live in peace together.  I just have to be careful 😉 

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Good afternoon everyone. I laughed out loud at today’s quote. Sam is still sick but the antibiotics are helping the pneumonia.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

I am glad the antibiotics are helping, Carol.  May he continue to improve 🙏🏻 

@dfish & @JazzyV thank you - I’ll take all the luck I can get.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a sunnier central Texas than was predicted.  Depending on which thermometer I look at it is anywhere from 62F to 66F.   Since there isn't much of a  breeze, it's not too cool out.  I don't know what happened today, but I got the house cleaned in record time.  It still takes longer than I'd like. 

Since the house is clean, we're having friends over for happy hour, which will be easy,  We don't do munchies and they bring their own drinks.  It's just a good way to catch up with what has been happening.

7 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a warm but overcast day at the beach

Forecast says it will be a rainy week, we will see. Hoping to get some golf in.

Dont care for pigs in a blanket but I do like vegetable ( or any type) of lasagna. Have not been to todays port.

Thank you all again for all my birthday wishes yesterday. I was overwhelmed with the amount of caring from this forum. You are all wonderful and hopefully I will meet some of you on a cruise someday.

I am booked on the Grand SAmerica/Antartica for this fall. The roll call is very quiet, last post was over a week ago from me. I am concerned that it is not selling well. This is our 2nd attempt at this itinerary . Last time in 2021 was cancelled due to Covid. 

@summer slope Enjoy Legoland. Great place!

@Mr. Boston Welcome Back.  Rest as much as you can and give yourself time to grieve.

My thoughts and prayers for everyone on the Care List. Has anyone heard any updates on @Scrapnana?  I really enjoyed hoer posts and following along on her travels. Hope she is doing ok.

Just cleaning today.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

Charlene, hopefully the roll call will become more active the closer you get to the cruise.  People may be waiting to to see what is happening in the world before booking.  I hope you get to go this time.

7 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Edvard-munch-the-scream.Jpg

Annie, I don't envy you the hard decision about what is best for Irving.  Getting the advice of your vet is a good idea.  I know you and DH will weigh all the options and make the right decision about what is best for Irving.

7 hours ago, superoma said:

Will do. I hope you like and enjoy your new fridge. Mine was a year old in December and I still don’t like it. I will go back to freezer on the top when I need another one. I just cannot come to terms with the baskets in the freezer on the bottom. But my DH is ecstatic since he doesn’t need to bend down to get a beer or soda. Lol

Eva, after having the freezer on top for about 30 years, we got a side-by-side when we moved here.  It had to be replaced, and we decided on the freezer on the bottom.  It took some getting used to, and there are times, I still can't find what I'm looking for.  DH calls it the "toy chest".  😉  I do like having the rest of the items at eye level and I'm not in the freezer that much.

7 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

Thanks again to all that make this thread possible. It is a lot of work to keep it going for us to enjoy. Yesterday was very difficult. I was unable to stay for the whole service. Luckily my DS and DDIL were there and took me home. I had my very first anxiety/ panic attack. I started to feel it when I entered the building and by the time I went through the line of family members I was shaking and felt a weight on my chest. The grief was palpable and I felt awful. It was just too soon from DH and DS death to experience this. I felt guilty leaving but I did not want anyone to focus on me when it needed to be about them. 

My hopes is getting away and focusing on something else will continue to help the healing process. I  really am looking forward to seeing Norway. My DGS and I watch Ice Road Rescue which takes place in Norway. He wants me to go find them. I don’t have the heart to tell him I will not be near where they live.  I will pick up some Norway souvenirs for him. 

Have a great day. 

Lorraine, I would not feel guilty about what happened at the funeral.  You have been there for your friend since her DS passed, and she not only knows you care, but also what you have endured the past year.  There are times when we can only handle so much stress.  ((((HUGS)))).

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for your interesting photos Lenda.

Graham.

Graham, I'm glad you liked the pictures.  They were only a few of those I took.  Antigua is an interesting old town, and is easily walkable.  We just took the ship transfer and explored the town on our own.

6 hours ago, dobiemom said:

It’s actually not that bad. I can’t really do anything anyways.  My nose must be pointed to the ground or if my head is lifted I can only look at the horizon or below, not up. No driving (vision is still blurry), no lifting more than 10#, showers from neck down only* (don’t want to chance eye getting infected). So I’m just reading or watching movies on my tablet, watching a little TV (it’s hard using the “comfort view” mirror). 

In addition to using the bed and chair equipment, I also sit on the (more comfortable) sofa with pillows behind my back (so I remember to lean forward not back) and sometimes converting the face support unit to use on the TV tray to give me an additional place to sit. So basically I’m in one of those 3 places all day.  🫤 But ya do what ya gotta do. 

The eye shield has soft plastic all around so I covered the edges with paper tape. Then I placed the eye shield on and held it in place with a headband like a pirate. It works! No more face irritation. Great idea, @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda!

*Since I can’t have my head back/look up, on Tues I’m going to my hairdresser so she can wash my hair. I’ll lean forward over the sink with a towel over my eyes, or maybe crouch on a stool. We don’t have a bathtub at home (well, we do in the travel trailer) so this will be easier. 

Marcia, thanks.  I'm glad that the headband is working to keep the shield in place.  When I posted my idea, I thought it sounded crazy and was only half serious.  The headband is probably a lot easier than the stretchy non-adhesive tape and it's reusable too.

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Remembering the Armenian genocide, and all genocides - terrible loss of life.  I haven't often felt like screaming, but you never know what the day will bring.  I always enjoyed Paula Poundstone's humour, and think the drink of the day would be quite refreshing on a hot summer's day.

Apparently we missed another round of northern lights last night - I'm seeing lots of photos of them on FB this morning.  The skies are bright and clear this morning with the temperature just above the freezing mark.  The wind should help take out a lot of the snow that's still in the yard, and maybe in the next couple of weeks we'll actually be able to go out and buy some hanging baskets for the yard.  

I'm not sure if you know, but the public service workers in Canada are on strike, and many people have made holiday arrangements, thinking they would get their passports on time for flights.  Now folks are wondering if the airlines would refund their money because they can't fly without passports.  Uh, no.  According to the passport website, they're only accommodating those who are in "emergency circumstances" such as illness or family death.   So many are booking without travel insurance, and they're going to be left on the hook because they put getting a passport on the back burner for too long.  I'm SO glad we got ours well in advance of any possible travel; it pays to be prepared.  Not that we have anywhere to go right now, but you never know!

@Mr. Boston welcome home; so many of us had you in our hearts this past week.

@marshhawkhoping for the best for Irving, but know you will make the right decision for him.

@cruising sisterI'm sorry the funeral was so upsetting for you; grief works in mysterious ways.  Take care of yourself.

@Ichiban Nekkowelcome back - it sounds like you had a great tour!

I'm going to give today's menu suggestion a pass; neither of us is a fan of eggplant, and I think it would be rather mushy - am I wrong?   Instead of having to figure out what to make for dinner tonight, all I have to do is go into the fridge and take out the leftovers from DH's daughter's dinner last night.  We had delicious breaded pork chops, spaghetti with home made sauce and a mixed greens salad, so that will be enjoyed at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, I would love to see the northern lights again.  All the pictures are wonderful, but nothing beats seeing them in person.

5 hours ago, ktbraun said:

Good Morning, and happy Monday!  The sun was out briefly this morning, but it's cloudy again.  The Northern Lights were visible here last night, but I was already asleep when that happened!  The "weather guy" wasn't sure if the clouds would clear in time, but they did.  @StLouisCruisersThe tree your daughter decorates is great!  My mom used to have at least 10 trees, but she didn't leave any up.  I did do a Valentine's Day tree once, but we don't have a good place to leave a tree up!  Maybe I should decorate a bush outside.  @Seasick SailorI hope your bird does well.  We've had a robin make a nest in the bush near our front door, but a roaming cat usually gets the babies.  I wish that cat stayed inside!  @marshhawkthinking of you as you visit the vet...

Have a great day.  I'm joining our weaving group today to continue making our Christmas baskets.  Last year we started late, and almost didn't finish.  We make little baskets and fill them with trinkets for local nursing home/assisted living residents.     Karen

Karen, I like the idea of the little baskets for residents of the local nursing homes and assisted living facilities.

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It's a cool 47 degrees and will get up only to the low 50's today.  Tomorrow starts a warming trend and looks to be very nice this week.  I'll be putting the rest of the seedlings out (have been hardening them off) because I won't be here most of the first half of May to water them.

I don't really care for pigs in a blanket, so sad about the terrible loss of life in the Armenian genocide. Thank you @Denise T for sharing your family history.   I can't think of many times I've actually screamed out loud, other than if I was suddenly startled in a spooky place.  The quote is funny, I'll pass on the meal (not a fan of eggplant), the red wine, but the drink is one of my favorites.  I thought the name of the port sounded familiar, and sure enough we were there in April of 2015 on the Statendam.  We took an all-day tour "Mayan Cosmology and Ancient Ruins".  It was a long ride there and back, through fields and past volcanoes.

@Ichiban NekkoWelcome back!  Your tour in France sounds amazing.

Here are a few of my photos from our tour out of Puerto Quetzal to the Mayan ruins.

One of many volcanoes in the area.

volcano.thumb.jpg.ac1eccc29935ab25fea536a125411c7b.jpg

Passing workers in a field

fieldworkers.thumb.jpg.955bb292e862c3bd7e54a63f5c2ae952.jpg

And at the ruins

Guatemalanruins.thumb.jpg.cdf801281a5559c5d661127753b49949.jpg

ruins2.thumb.jpg.13156a39bbd0060d0b689421cfe9f110.jpg

ruins3.thumb.jpg.a15bed0592cecff0c556dcbad6e2eb60.jpg

ruins4.thumb.jpg.f6249b9c5d18cc45e8298ce684111872.jpg

ruins5.thumb.jpg.e54bdcfb71eef2cef0b625db1db48e85.jpg

ruins6.thumb.jpg.6a89a1e43c8eb3bbc42f373240b308c2.jpg

Carolyn, thanks for your pictures of the Mayan ruins.  

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

Good morning,

The sun is trying to peak out, hinting at a much needed warming for later in the week, and perfect timing, I need to get the plants moved outdoors and work on our gardening.

Dad is fine, we had some kidney related itching challenges last week that kept me away from the daily, but I spoke with the doctor this morning and he's approved an increase in the Gabapentin, so crossing fingers.  PT was out last Wednesday and Dad surprised us both with his ability to get to the edge of the bed, but standing and putting weight on his legs caused too much pain, at least we now know what we're working with.

I think cruising is looking less likely for this year, there's too few itineraries that we're interested in, so we're going to focus on 2024. 

Thoughts/Prayers to all, I haven't yet read through so I'm going to do that in a moment.  

Have a great day!

~Bruno

Bruno, it sounds like your dear dad is making progress.  I hope the PT will help him to stand without pain.

12 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

When DH was at MD Anderson in Houston for radiation treatment, the dietitian recommended more of a plant based diet. DH does not eat mushy food, it’s a texture thing.  So I blenderized tofu with a little almond or coconut milk and added the slurry to soups, stews, cake batter, brownies, muffins, pancakes, lasagna, fried croquets, chocolate shakes…. just about anything I could think of. DH knew it was there, I wasn’t hiding it, but as long as he wasn’t asked to eat mushy foods he was ok. Basically, I used the tofu slurry in place of a white sauce, ricotta cheese, or as a milk or cream ingredient. It can be flavored with vanilla, sweetener (I used Truvia), or savory herbs. 

m—

ps. I loved the HEB stores there!  Best supermarkets ever!  

Maureen, HEB is a wonderful grocery chain.  Unfortunately, the nearest on to us is about 35 miles away.  They were also a great company to work for many years ago, even if they did not give employee discounts.  😁  I worked in the headquarters which was in Corpus Christi at that time, and got to know several members of the Butt family.  

38 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Our younger DD became a vegetarian her first year in college even though she did not really like vegetables.  She has since converted her SO, and I'm learning to make some decent vegetarian meals when they visit.

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Good afternoon everyone. I laughed out loud at today’s quote. Sam is still sick but the antibiotics are helping the pneumonia.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Carol, I'm glad the antibiotics are helping, and I hope Sam is well soon.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Jacqui, wishing you the best Wednesday, and I hope it isn't too painful.  I also hope the elbow has healed enough so the surgeon can get all the hardware out so you're one and done.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. 
I like pigs in a blanket, we should not forget the Armenian genocide, and I occasionally scream, usually in frustration. I’ve been to Puerto Quetzal, but my photos are on my PC.

I’m sitting on my veranda, enjoying the sound of the sea. Yesterday’s dinner was in the Greek-themed restaurant and I had short ribs that were delicious. I haven’t sampled the night life, as we’re eating a bit late, and with dinner and some wine, I’m ready to call it a night somewhat early. We arrive in Bermuda tomorrow morning. 

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for keeping the FR/Daily going, with @richwmn’s help. 
@superoma Great job on the lists!

@Mr. Boston Welcome home. I hope we could give you a bit of comfort during this difficult time.
@cruising sister I’m sorry the service was so difficult for you. Take care of yourself. 
@marshhawk It sounds like you may have a difficult decision to make, but I’m sure you’ll do what’s best for Irving. 
@Ichiban Nekko Welcome home. It sounds like you had a great trip!

@kazu Best of luck with the surgery. 

@mamaofami Prayers for Sam. 

I don’t know why the font size changed. I’m not used to doing this on an iPad. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List. 
Be well everyone. 

Vanessa, I'm glad you are enjoying the cruise and all the good food, not to mention the wine.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

@superoma @dfish @kochleffel @RMLincoln  @Quartzsite CruiserHere is the recipe I use for Crispy Baked Tofu  I think the key is to throughly press extra firm tofu; you could use a tofu press but I don’t like extra gadgets.  I slice it, wrap it in a single layer in a kitchen towel, put a cookie sheet on top and then weight it down with some heavy containers.  This is an excellent addition to a stir fry dish.

@bennybear Thank you for the photos of the Northern Lights.  Definitely on my bucket list but I hate cold weather.  Anyone have a suggestion for a cruise where I “might” be able to see them.  

I am very happy it’s time for the garden club again too!🌹🌸💐🌺🌷🌻🥀🌼

Edited by 0106
  • Like 20

My GI Doc called. The tests have ruled out Cdiff as a cause for my colitis flare; it is seriously inflammed. So back on the opoids I go, will probably be on a maintence dose once he gets it under control. That said, Dr. did say I should be feeling better soon and gave his blessing for the May cruise. Only proviso, I call him as soon as I return.

I have been to Puerto Quezel several times and enjoy the Mayan Ruins along with their colorful costumes, purses etc. The first time there we went on a Hal excursion that took us to Lake Atitlan which is considered one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. The governor or president (senior moment, I don't remember which) has his summer palace right on the lake, it is magnificent. It was heartbreaking to see  native women doing their laundry in the lake within a few hundred yards of the palace. Sorry, no photos to show I suggest you Google Lake Atitlan.

Jane

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

18 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@superoma @dfish @kochleffel @RMLincoln  @Quartzsite CruiserHere is the recipe I use for Crispy Baked Tofu  I think the key is to throughly press extra firm tofu; you could use a tofu press but I don’t like extra gadgets.  I slice it, wrap it in a single layer in a kitchen towel, put a cookie sheet on top and then weight it down with some heavy containers.  This is an excellent addition to a stir fry dish.

@bennybear Thank you for the photos of the Northern Lights.  Definitely on my bucket list but I hate cold weather.  Anyone have a suggestion for a cruise where I “might” be able to see them.  

I am very happy it’s time for the garden club again too!🌹🌸💐🌺🌷🌻🥀🌼

Norway and Iceland.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, kazu said:

Ooh - Garden Club time.  I do have hanging baskets - 9 of them in the house by the back door getting ready to bloom.  The others will wait.  Every year my little Mexican birds build nests in them.  I use those bottles I showed one year to water as it drips and put my finger in the basket first to make sure I’m not hitting the nest and they don’t seem to mind a bit.  Kind of fun to watch the babies.  It’s not uncommon to find a nest when I clean out the big planters as they are protected from the hose.  The birds and my flowers live in peace together.  I just have to be careful 😉 

Thanks Jacqui.  That is a good idea.  I can't do anything yet until after mid-May, we'll be going to Yellowstone for a week after getting home from the cruise.  I will keep this in mind!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, highscar said:

Re the federal strike in Canada. My passport due to expire in Dec I decided to apply early.  Did that three weeks ago and received it last week.   Ready to cruise.  .  

I was glad that I renewed my U.S. passport in 2019, about eight months early. The reason for doing it early was that the machine-readable part hadn't been read consistently during travel that summer. I didn't know then that by the time it would have been due to renew in 2020 the Passport Office would be almost shut down.

• Like 12