Do men wear dinner suits on Chic Nights

lottee

If you want to wear a suit that's fine, but it's totally unnecessary. If you wear slacks and a button Shirt you'll be totally fine and in the majority who don't wear any kind of tux, suit, or sports jacket. 

19 minutes ago, lottee said:

As a first time cruiser on Celebrity Reflection in May do men still wear dinner suits?

Personnel preference. If you want to you should no matter what others wear. Evening Chic means you dress to impress, glamorous and sophisticated in your own way.

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

No more packing suits, jackets, or ties....those days are OVER.  Anyone that wants to dress up, go for it, and enjoy.  I will dress up for a special family cruise where the kids want family pictures, but that's about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George C said:

I would guess about 10 to 20 percent of the men may be wearing jackets 

Agree with that %. Probably higher on itineraries that leave the UK; Brits seem to enjoy dressing up for dinner.  

53 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

Some where suits and some wear tuxedos, at least on one Chic night.

In my observation I would say 30% suits/tuxedos, the other 70% nice collared shirts and slacks.

I’d say more like 5-10% suits/tuxedos, 15-20% sports coats, with or without a tie.

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Agree with that %. Probably higher on itineraries that leave the UK; Brits seem to enjoy dressing up for dinner.  

Looks like the OP is from the UK and cruising from Barcelona.

I would also suspect they're a little more likely to see dinner jackets/tuxedo/suits on their cruise than they would from FLL to the Caribbean. But probably still not a high percentage.

To the OP: They're not required, and unusual in the Caribbean. The general nonstatistical observation of many is they're more common on European itineraries. If you want to take one and that's what you're used to and comfortable with, you'll certainly be fine. If you don't, you'll also be fine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, davekathy said:

Personnel preference. If you want to you should no matter what others wear. Evening Chic means you dress to impress, glamorous and sophisticated in your own way.

Sorry but the only person I care to impress, etc is the man who paid for my cruise (hubby of 54 years).  I could care less what anyone else thinks….we dine en suite on chic night(s).  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, islabahia said:

Sorry but the only person I care to impress, etc is the man who paid for my cruise (hubby of 54 years).  I could care less what anyone else thinks….we dine en suite on chic night(s).  

What makes you think the statement, "you dress to impress, glamorous and sophisticated in your own way" doesn't mean for yourself or spouse. You assumed for others. 🙄

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, lottee said:

As a first time cruiser on Celebrity Reflection in May do men still wear dinner suits?

I used to pack a jacket and tie....now I only pack dress slacks and a nice dress shirts. Perhaps being retired and cruising 5-10 times a year has changed my attitude but for us, cruising isn't the once a year or once every few years vacation that we go all out on. We like to look nice because we enjoy seeing everyone dressing like proper adults but personally, I am uncomfortable in a jacket and tie and will no longer wear them.

• Like 1

I kind of miss the old days , I did wear a tux from mid 1980’s until a few years ago , glad we have all those formal pictures and i wouldn’t discourage anyone from wearing them now but as my favorite song writer once said “the times they are a changing “.

I cannot remember the last time I took a DJ on a Celebrity Cruise and i have not seen one for several years. Just as well as I would have to bury the current one gathering dust in the cupboard. However I do wear a jacket and tie on Chic nights as I feel you should make the effort for that night.

If you hanker after DJ's then go Cunard which has always been more dressy especially in the Grills

22 hours ago, lottee said:

Celebrity stopped Formal wear maybe 8 years ago, it is entirely up to you what you wear/pack. A sports jacket is probably sufficient for your DH and nice dress or slacks and dressy top for ladies. It does make packing easier.