Do men wear dinner suits on Chic Nights

lottee

I always wear a sports jacket just so I can give it to my wife to wear when she gets cold in the dining room, theater or other large venues 🥰😘

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🌅🇺🇸

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 5:14 PM, davekathy said:

What makes you think the statement, "you dress to impress, glamorous and sophisticated in your own way" doesn't mean for yourself or spouse. You assumed for others. 🙄

I thought en suite meant adjoining bath, but I'm sure they mean they eat in their cabin. 

Celebrity's chic night "do it your own way" dress suggestion is so wide open I really don't understand how there could be any controversy (beyond those wanting to wear shorts to MDR dinner).  

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2023 at 1:28 PM, davekathy said:

Personnel preference. If you want to you should no matter what others wear. Evening Chic means you dress to impress, glamorous and sophisticated in your own way.

George Burns explained it best.  He said women dress to impress other woman.  If they dressed to impress men they would just wear a hat and sunglasses if it was sunny.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Chic is something each of us define for ourselves which was the objective.  

Few wear Tux, some wear Kilts, Some Dinner Jackets --- It's your night to shine.   Personally I love to see women dressed to the Nines in evening dresses and Glam...

We usually wear Dinner Jackets, Tux shirts with Bow Ties.    On a longer set of cruises we drop the Bow Ties and have a colorful shirt under our Jackets... but always a jacket.    For us it's fun but we really are not others choose either more or less dressed than us. 

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

I will on our Reflection cruise this July

That is the beauty of the Evening Chic dress code. No one will bat an eye at the small number of men who wear a tuxedo. 

The last cruise that I wore a tuxedo which was about ten years ago someone thought I was a server. That was too funny though. 

Always wore a tux until they stopped cruise ship rentals. Now I'm a suit guy. We like spiffing it up now and then and even occasionally stop for a photo. Seems like there are less and less times to dress up these days so cruising it is.

• Like 2

Presently on the Summit,10 day repo from Miami to Bayonne in Aqua.

There is absolutely no dress code adhered to on ‘chic’ nights or any other - men in shorts are common with the maitre’d  just watching. I even wore shorts last evening just to see if they would be questioned - nothing!

That is the probable end to all dress codes!

Hal

• Haha 1

Our Second Chic night I noticed we were the only ones in Luminae with Jackets on.  

Not sure if there was confusion but saw about a dozen last night.   I asked the Cynde, Hostess if we had made a mistake,  she chuckled and said NO.     But she had noticed a number of guest dressed last night.    hmmm...

No one cared one way or another

A much debated topic.  My DH wears a suit or sports coat- He also does at work.  Again, you will see people dressed up and others not so.  He enjoys dressing up as do I.  Other nights, he wears slacks and a button down shirt-  When we were confined due to covid- we lived in sweats- and looked sloppy-  now we enjoy dressing up. Celebrating!

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 2

On 4/28/2023 at 5:53 PM, Charles4515 said:

That is the beauty of the Evening Chic dress code. No one will bat an eye at the small number of men who wear a tuxedo. 

Exactly!

And I wont bat an eye at the small number who wear vests and shorts with baseball caps on.

1 minute ago, Esprit said:

Exactly!

And I wont bat an eye at the small number who wear vests and shorts with baseball caps on.

Unfortunately another casualty of covid quarantine is that people were home- they (including me) put on weight- many cannot fit into their suits and dress clothes and aren't willing to purchase new dress attire -thus the stretch shorts and pants.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Exactly!

Well I would notice baseball caps because I have never seen one in the MDR for dinner. That would be unusual. Shorts I have sometime seen but I didn’t notice because diners are sitting down. There was a lady passenger I saw on a few cruises who wore a captain’s hat to dinner and never took it off. I batted an eye at that. 

15 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Unfortunately another casualty of covid quarantine is that people were home- they (including me) put on weight- many cannot fit into their suits and dress clothes and aren't willing to purchase new dress attire -thus the stretch shorts and pants.

I didn’t put on any weight and still fit into suits from 50 years ago but they may be out of style. I recently moved and didn’t want to move everything across country so I donated clothes so someone who might wear them obtain them. I certainly kept a couple of suits and a tuxedo plus a bunch of sports jackets for just in case but honestly I have not worn the suits or tuxedo for a number of years. I have worn the jackets a few times. The problem now with cruises is that I don’t want to pack them. I have downsized to minimal packing. But I am not saying I won’t ever change my mind. 

40 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I didn’t put on any weight and still fit into suits from 50 years ago but they may be out of style. I recently moved and didn’t want to move everything across country so I donated clothes so someone who might wear them obtain them. I certainly kept a couple of suits and a tuxedo plus a bunch of sports jackets for just in case but honestly I have not worn the suits or tuxedo for a number of years. I have worn the jackets a few times. The problem now with cruises is that I don’t want to pack them. I have downsized to minimal packing. But I am not saying I won’t ever change my mind. 

Bet those clothes are or will be back in style!  Today kids buy second hand clothes in thrift shops!

Just now, Cruise a holic said:

Bet those clothes are or will be back in style!  Today kids buy second hand clothes in thrift shops!

They look good and they were expensive. I donated them to a non profit that helps out men starting out who need clothes for professional jobs  I don't know if there is much of those jobs left though that require them. Maybe just the interviews? 

When cruising with P.O. dressing for dinner was expected and very nice to see, on Celebrity a bit less formal which i like but it seems some people cannot even be bothered to dress smart hence shorts {not very clean either}and sandals in Tuscan  grill on a "chic" night the maitre d was nowhere to be seen and the rather loud chap from the USA took umbridge when a fellow diner pointed out to him the dress code.. The trouble with standards is they tend to drop over time ,personally i wouldnt wear jeans to any restaurant. Suit yourselves !

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

It's not retro if you wore it the first time around.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johncandt said:

When cruising with P.O. dressing for dinner was expected and very nice to see, on Celebrity a bit less formal which i like but it seems some people cannot even be bothered to dress smart hence shorts {not very clean either}and sandals in Tuscan  grill on a "chic" night the maitre d was nowhere to be seen and the rather loud chap from the USA took umbridge when a fellow diner pointed out to him the dress code.. The trouble with standards is they tend to drop over time ,personally i wouldnt wear jeans to any restaurant. Suit yourselves !

Good to know but the dress code allows jeans.  

I think folk who feel put upon by a rule breaker best approach ship staff rather than take it upon themselves.  Mostly bad things are going to happen when passengers decide to take it upon themselves to enforce ship rules.