Quantum

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I assume they would have contacted family members soon after passenger went overboard. 

I would suggest the Senior Security Officer or Staff Captain would contact Police in the area where the passenger(s) reside and police would deliver the death message(s.) Done that a few times not from ships but from Crashes, suicides, etc.  Not a pleasant task.👮‍♂️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I would suggest the Senior Security Officer or Staff Captain would contact Police in the area where the passenger(s) reside and police would deliver the death message(s.) Done that a few times not from ships but from Crashes, suicides, etc.  Not a pleasant task.👮‍♂️

Not the knock on the door you want to hear.  Now there are more female police in the force how do they manage that task?

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Not the knock on the door you want to hear.  Now there are more female police in the force how do they manage that task?

Well I have been out since 2003, but generally the girls handled the task as well as most of the blokes. They have to.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Reports are - Person died onboard. Hour and a half later the partner jumps. 

A passenger aboard linked two very separate incidents, then does a radio interview with Ben Fordham.

Apart from rumour and speculation, the person that fell/jumped hasn't been linked to the medical emergency from earlier in the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

A passenger aboard linked two very separate incidents, then does a radio interview with Ben Fordham.

Apart from rumour and speculation, the person that fell/jumped hasn't been linked to the medical emergency from earlier in the day.

Thank you for the correction. Sadly though; we all know that you only go over the side if you're wanting to go over the side. 

20 hours ago, NSWP said:

It was in international waters ,no police , would be the Department of Foreign affairs and Trade responsibilitie .

19 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

Thank you for the correction. Sadly though; we all know that you only go over the side if you're wanting to go over the side. 

That is likely the most common, but I disagree. Yes, it is almost impossible to fall if you remain inside the rails. There are two ways of unintentionally going over the side:

1) Rare - someone throws you over.

2) Disregarding safety, usually via drunken misadventure, but also an unsupervised child climbing over a rail. While it might result from stupidity, the fall is still unintentional. Anecdotally, this appears as common as someone jumping and we will only ever know the cause if their investigation is announced publicly.

2 hours ago, Hogbay said:

It was in international waters ,no police , would be the Department of Foreign affairs and Trade responsibilitie .

DFAT would not be knocking on next of kin's door, believe me. That task would be flicked onto the nearest State Police by the pen pushers at DFAT.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, arxcards said:

News reports today are that the two people in the incidents (medical & overboard) were unrelated and not known to each other. 

So, looks as if the Chinese whispers, famous onboard ships, strike again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, boeckli said:

That article doesn't make sense - the lawyer (who does have an anti cruise-line  bias) stated it is legislation in the US to have an Automatic Man Overboard system in place. But Quantum sails in US waters so wouldn't she have the system in place? Or is he saying it is turned off in other waters? Or that Royal Caribbean CL doesn't obey US laws?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

That article doesn't make sense - the lawyer (who does have an anti cruise-line  bias) stated it is legislation in the US to have an Automatic Man Overboard system in place. But Quantum sails in US waters so wouldn't she have the system in place? Or is he saying it is turned off in other waters? Or that Royal Caribbean CL doesn't obey US laws?

Royal have chosen not to fit that sort of system, and I gather they are not alone. I think it just means you can sue the cruise line for not detecting you overboard, to a limited degree. 

Gool old Ambo Chaser of the Seas, and the somewhat linked cruise bashing site. I was surprised at the high % of drunken mishaps, as I wasn't aware they were keeping a body count.

Further to the article, the search has since been called-off. Well, that is what I heard on 11am radio news, but I can't fully trust what is being reported.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Further to the article, the search has since been called-off. Well, that is what I heard on 11am radio news, but I can't fully trust what is being reported.

That appears to be the case. The man has also been named in several news reports.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

That article doesn't make sense

Of course it doesn't. It's Fox News. Is there anyone left in the world who thinks that they will get accurate, unbiased and honest reporting from that source?

Some of the Australian news sources were also clutching at straws, reporting inaccurate comments from passengers who had really no idea what was happening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

Of course it doesn't. It's Fox News. Is there anyone left in the world who thinks that they will get accurate, unbiased and honest reporting from that source?

Some of the Australian news sources were also clutching at straws, reporting inaccurate comments from passengers who had really no idea what was happening.

I'm sure that Sky News (Fox) isn't the only media outlet in Australia who report inaccurate, or even fake, news. Media overall have a lot to answer for in recent years. 

All very sad anyway, regardless of reports. 🥺

• Like 3

17 hours ago, boeckli said:

That appears to be the case. The man has also been named in several news reports.

Yes the name of the Brisbane man has been announced.  I've seen a beautiful happy photo of a young handsome man, which makes the case even sadder.  

On 4/27/2023 at 12:25 PM, MMDown Under said:

I would expect it depends more on their abilities than their sex. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

A photo of the taped off area that’s full of loungers.

IMG_6452.png

Sad.

In my place of work, that is a definite safety issue. I have seen this so many times on ships, but never saw it as an issue.

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

Sad.

In my place of work, that is a definite safety issue. I have seen this so many times on ships, but never saw it as an issue.

Whoever decided to do that will be worried now.  Common sense would say that was never a good idea.  (Not that I believe it is related in this case.)

• Like 1

Re the deck loungers stacked, I wonder if they were like that on the night of the incident? So easy to climb up on top of the stack and over the rails from a great height.    As has been said, some crew member may be in strife.