Special events requiring special outfits?

TravelFiend

Hey all! First time Princess cruiser here. Thank you all so much for all the awesome info so far!

We're booked on the 10 day Panama Canal on the Ruby, and I'm wondering if there are any events that require special clothing or costumes? I know we have two formal nights, but I'm wondering more things like White Night or 80s Night on Carnival, or Pirate Night on Disney. Is there anything like this that we should plan for? It sounds like Camp Discovery has a few things like PJ parties, etc? We'll have our two DDs with us, 10 and 14, and just want to make sure we are prepared so we can all participate in any fun activities that happen!

Thank you all so much for your help!

34 minutes ago, TravelFiend said:

Hey all! First time Princess cruiser here. Thank you all so much for all the awesome info so far!

We're booked on the 10 day Panama Canal on the Ruby, and I'm wondering if there are any events that require special clothing or costumes? I know we have two formal nights, but I'm wondering more things like White Night or 80s Night on Carnival, or Pirate Night on Disney. Is there anything like this that we should plan for? It sounds like Camp Discovery has a few things like PJ parties, etc? We'll have our two DDs with us, 10 and 14, and just want to make sure we are prepared so we can all participate in any fun activities that happen!

They used to have themed deck parties, but those seem to have gone bye-bye like our favorite Captain.  No special clothing is required to attend or participate in any event.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TravelFiend said:

There is sometimes a white night, usually coincides with the Captain’s welcome party or the champagne waterfall.

Sometimes it’s on your travel summary, other times it’s just shown on the Patter, after you board.  

If it’s a holiday, like St Patrick’s day Or Halloween, some guests dress in a little holiday fare. Lol

We've seen '80s and White Nights combined on both the Sapphire Princess and the Island Princess in 2022 and 2023.

It generally ends up being in the Explorer's Lounge with the dancers and cruise staff in all in white dancing with the passengers to disco music.

But, no costumes required of the passengers. Just make do or have fun trying to anticipate what might happen!

And BTW, Formal Nights are really not very formal anymore.  Rarely see anyone formal or even very dressed up those nights--though sometimes depends, the longer itineraries may dress up a bit more.  That seems to be true on all the mass-market lines now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, vakamalua said:

And BTW, Formal Nights are really not very formal anymore.  Rarely see anyone formal or even very dressed up those nights--though sometimes depends, the longer itineraries may dress up a bit more.  That seems to be true on all the mass-market lines now.

Agreed! We usually use it as a chance to pull out that cocktail dress we had to buy for some past event (this year it will be the suit and bridesmaid/flower girl dresses we had to buy for my sister-in-law's wedding), but it has definitely become less of an event than it was when we first started cruising. I have noticed a bit of a difference based on where I'm cruising from, I don't know if that is just me? It seems like cruises from California/West Coast have become VERY casual, where Caribbean/East Coast are a little dressier? But that may just be my personal perception or the randomness of our fellow passengers!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckeye10640 said:

There have been 'White and Gold' nights lately. Most people I have observed were  not wearing white and gold though. 

There was a White and Gold night when we were on Coral earlier this year. It was tied in with the Love Boat theme and held on one of the formal nights. We saw several groups of people embracing the theme in a big way. There was nothing in the communication formerly known as the Patter, and nothing in our travel summary or on Journey View. Out of interest, I checked back through the pre-cruise emails and it was mentioned briefly in one of those. 

• Like 1

We had a white and gold night/Love Boat party on the Ruby in April. The party was well attended but very few dressed in white and gold. But it was also the last night of the cruise so most people had already packed. I thought that was kinda weird. I did hear a few people talking about deciding what they were wearing earlier in the day so it really is just up to you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kellyansapansa said:

There was nothing in the communication formerly known as the Patter, 

The droppiig of the name "The Patter" has mostly passed unnoticed on this Forum.  I'm glad to see it acknowledged.  But I cannot figure out why Princess has dropped the name.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

The droppiig of the name "The Patter" has mostly passed unnoticed on this Forum.  I'm glad to see it acknowledged.  But I cannot figure out why Princess has dropped the name.

To be honest, I didn't even notice while we were on board. I saw it mentioned in one of the threads here after we arrived home and went back to check our copies. Sure enough, the Patter name was nowhere to be seen. I reckon someone in the marketing department decided that it sounded a bit old fashioned and not appealing to their new, younger target market. 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TravelFiend said:

The key word in your question is "require."

Even "special" events such as a white night or other themed event do not require one to have special clothing to participate.

If you want to dress specially for an event, fine. But if not, just as fine.

• Like 5

We had a "white and gold " night on Sky last month, saiking out of the UK. Most people just carried on as it it was a normal formal night and wore tuxedos or suits (men) or cocktail dresses/sparkly  attire (women).

• Like 2

We have never brought any addition clothing on a Princess cruise for any of those "special" nights. It has never been required and doubtfully never will. Dress up in a costume if you like but no one will even notice. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kellyansapansa said:

To be honest, I didn't even notice while we were on board. I saw it mentioned in one of the threads here after we arrived home and went back to check our copies. Sure enough, the Patter name was nowhere to be seen. I reckon someone in the marketing department decided that it sounded a bit old fashioned and not appealing to their new, younger target market. 😉

What do they call the Patter now? 

I guess I missed it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TravelFiend said:

and I'm wondering if there are any events that require special clothing or costumes? I know we have two formal nights, but I'm wondering more things like White Night or 80s Night on Carnival, or Pirate Night on Disney. Is there anything like this that we should plan for?

My Alaska sailing in a few weeks has a "White and Gold"  type event. In the JourneyView it is called "The Love Boat Piazza Party". Obviously white and gold are not required, but just a heads if you want to get into the spirit of things. Probably just a 45 minute to an hour thing, similar to white night parties on Celebrity. Not sure if they have it multiple nights on longer sailings.

50 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

My Alaska sailing in a few weeks has a "White and Gold"  type event. In the JourneyView it is called "The Love Boat Piazza Party". Obviously white and gold are not required, but just a heads if you want to get into the spirit of things. Probably just a 45 minute to an hour thing, similar to white night parties on Celebrity. Not sure if they have it multiple nights on longer sailings.

They had a "champagne " waterfall during the W&G night on Sky last month.