Drink package thoughts

Bently57

Drink packages sure have changed since we last cruised Celebrity in 2015. We had it included as a freebie as part of a sale on our last cruise at the time, but I seem to remember it was around $300 for the week per person IF we had paid for it. Maybe I am remembering incorrectly. But at any rate, the price per person per day now astonishes me. 

Needless to say, we won’t purchase it, as we only drink maybe two alcoholic drinks at the most per day, and sodas are not something we drink often either. But on a cruise I admit we probably drank more sodas in the past. I think we will just pay as we go, because I can’t see us drinking almost $90 a day in beverages of any kind. REAL Coffee in the mornings and a glass of wine or cocktail with dinner is about as far as we go. 

I almost feel embarrassed for NOT buying a package, but I can’t make the math work. 

OR, am I missing something?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Bently57 said:

Drink packages sure have changed since we last cruised Celebrity in 2015. We had it included as a freebie as part of a sale on our last cruise at the time, but I seem to remember it was around $300 for the week per person IF we had paid for it. Maybe I am remembering incorrectly. But at any rate, the price per person per day now astonishes me. 

Needless to say, we won’t purchase it, as we only drink maybe two alcoholic drinks at the most per day, and sodas are not something we drink often either. But on a cruise I admit we probably drank more sodas in the past. I think we will just pay as we go, because I can’t see us drinking almost $90 a day in beverages of any kind. REAL Coffee in the mornings and a glass of wine or cocktail with dinner is about as far as we go. 

I almost feel embarrassed for NOT buying a package, but I can’t make the math work. 

OR, am I missing something?

On the AI cruises I book, I’m not seeing it cost that much per day.  More in the range of $50 or so once room gratuities are backed out.  That said, the math is easy to do. Book what works for you. 

• Like 3

I really do like a drink, and it doesn't work for me either anymore.  I would have paid previously but having just done three cruises I have spent way less doing it as I go (but then I have the elite+ perks which take a load off of a normal spend).

• Like 2

No, you are not missing anything. I don’t have a drink package for my next cruise and will just pay as I go. 

Celebrity offers those packages because they make money off them. They know enough will get them just for the convenience that won’t break even. 

• Like 4

Don’t be embarrassed, if your not a big drinker…the package is not cheap

We no longer drink as we did, so we opted out for our cruise in January 

We will carry on wine, uncork in our cabin, no corkage fee.

DH will have some beers and I will have a few Martini's

With the said, I have to laugh when I think about our first cruise, the Celebrity Century, 24 years ago. Our bill for our drinks alone was 1200!  😂😂

Edited by janetz
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

I rarely drink alcohol so it makes it easy to decide… but pre Covid if we didn’t have perks, I would get the soda package just for the ease of getting coffees, water, soda.  But that is so ridiculously priced now, I will just pay as I go.  Makes me sad to see the prices they are charging.  We have two cruises left this year with AI and the rest are booked Cruise Only!

• Like 2

I also went round and round with this one and ultimately decided to NOT get it. We have a port intensive itinerary coming up and I just don't think we'll be on the ship enough to warrant the cost.

• Like 2

With the current prices of Celebrity's cruises our next one may be without the drink package. We love to have drinks on the cruise. Love the convenience of just showing the card or not showing the card and a drinks in hand. But it comes to a point you need to think is it worth a $1000 for drinks. Just exaggerating. But between being able to bring wine onboard. Elite captains cocktail happy hour and if you got to buy a few who cares.

May be worth trying….just my two cents…

Edited by cheeseheads4ever
  • Like 2

I like the drink package and I don’t drink.  Lol.  Between my 2 lattes (~$5 each)  in the morning and and iced latte in the afternoon plus bottled waters( ~$4 each)   (and an occasional “refreshers” drink (I can’t remember what it was called but it was similar to a virgin mojito) I get my $$$ worth.   But that’s just me. You have to do what best for you.  

• Like 7

So….help me understand. In no way am I trying to persuade anyone one way or the other. But if the package is close to 90 dollars a day, you are saying that you consume enough beverages to make it worth that?  Or is it more for the convenience?

• Like 1

Didn't buy a drink package for my 15 day Panama Canal cruise that ends tomorrow, and I got by just fine. Remember, you can also take your own non-alc beverages on board. I don't feel the slightest bit bad or embarrassed about it. You wouldn't believe how many people asked me jealous where I got my Cherry Coke and didn't even know you can bring them on. I took 2x12 cans because they don't even sell flavored Coke on board.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bently57 said:

So….help me understand. In no way am I trying to persuade anyone one way or the other. But if the package is close to 90 dollars a day, you are saying that you consume enough beverages to make it worth that?  Or is it more for the convenience?

Both! 

5 hours ago, thomarvin said:

I like the drink package and I don’t drink.  Lol.  Between my 2 lattes (~$5 each)  in the morning and and iced latte in the afternoon plus bottled waters( ~$4 each)   (and an occasional “refreshers” drink (I can’t remember what it was called but it was similar to a virgin mojito) I get my $$$ worth.   But that’s just me. You have to do what best for you.  

A lot of my value comes from non alcoholic beverages too although on cruises I do drink more alcohol than I would normally. Just as ‘normally’ I rarely eat desserts, cruises are a time for me to enjoy a drink or three

I love the nice coffee, constantly sip bottled water, enjoy long relaxing icy pool drinks, sometimes alcoholic sometimes not. With dinner I will enjoy two glasses of wine and sometimes a liqueur with coffee at the end…I probably break even on a drinks package most cruises but I do find the package useful for another reason to, I like to enjoy trying new drinks on board. If I was paying drink by drink I would stick to things I knew I liked. With a package I can try new wines, cocktails and martinis and if I don’t like them I can try something else.

For those who don’t drink and those who are happy with standard coffee then enjoying a cruise with no drinks package is perfectly doable. To me the drinks package is a treat to myself I am happy to pay for.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

On the AI cruises I book, I’m not seeing it cost that much per day.  More in the range of $50 or so once room gratuities are backed out.  That said, the math is easy to do. Book what works for you. 

Agreed, the prices have gone up, but the 'Always Included' price still ,makes sense for a lot of people.

When we booked in January for Japan in 2025, we paid $47 extra each, per day, for the Classic package, gratuities and WiFi (Surf). At that price it really isn't hard to justify.

Right after we booked, the price went up on our cruise and it was then costing $70, but even so by the time you deduct even just the the gratuities, it comes down to a level where it would still make sense for many, and if you value the WiFi then even easier.

I do think that the full price for the Classic package or indeed just the cost of the upgrade from Classic to Premium is very hard to justify these days.

• Like 3

Using hypothetical numbers for discussion:  Lets say the package cost is $90 pd and your average drink cost is $12.  That means 7.5 drinks pd is the over/under.  The convenience factor is a personal calculation.  We've tried both with and w/out a package and the final outcome is usually close; but will admit the paper receipts and signing does get a bit old...... 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bently57 said:

Our last cruise included the AI Premium package and, according to the invoice thing, the price was $840 per person for the cruise. For 10 days, that's ~$84 in drinks per day.

Sounds like a lot but, depending on your go-to drink(s), it can prove a bargain. Classic-package drinks up to $9 are included; Premium includes drinks up to $15 each. So, that's roughly 8 or 5 drinks per day, respectively, before your package "pays for itself."

But as @chemmo points out, both packages include water, soda, coffee, tea and juices (to varying degrees), so those beverages need to be factored in, too. I usually start my morning with a coffee or two, and my wife and I down several bottles of water each day.

I find the AI packages (either level) worthwhile but, obviously, you need to "do the math" for you to make sure it makes fiscal sense.

Hope this helps,

cjr

• Like 1

As I have aged (low 50's), my tolerance or ability to drink is nowhere near what is required to purchase a full priced drink package. I do enjoy a few cocktails or glasses of wine while cruising but at $120 a day with gratuities, there is no way I can justify it. I have been booking AI will all of my recent cruises and although the price varies from cruise to cruise, I average out to less than $40 a day for drinks once you subtract tips and WIFI. You definitely need to do some math before you book to make the best decision you can.

On 5/5/2023 at 4:25 AM, janetz said:

I have to laugh when I think about our first cruise, the Celebrity Century, 24 years ago. Our bill for our drinks alone was 1200!

I found our old receipt from a TA on Galaxy about 20 years ago and our bar tab was in that same neighborhood. Of course that was pre drink package days and we were ordering a bottle of wine at dinner most nights. It was still a ton cheaper than current package prices.

1 hour ago, mitz18 said:

Using hypothetical numbers for discussion:  Lets say the package cost is $90 pd and your average drink cost is $12.  That means 7.5 drinks pd is the over/under.  The convenience factor is a personal calculation.  We've tried both with and w/out a package and the final outcome is usually close; but will admit the paper receipts and signing does get a bit old...... 

Your math is off....the Classic package is $89 a day plus 20% gratuity so the cost is $106.80. The $12 dollar drinks mean you will pay $2.40 extra per drink as well. You would need to drink 11 $10 dollar drinks a day or supplement a few of those with water, coffee or soda. Even if you drank $20 a day in water, soda and coffee, you would still need to average 9 drinks a day....every day....to break even. For the Premium package, the total daily cost including gratuity is $130.80 so the same math applies if you are drinking nothing but premium drinks. I can keep up for a few days before my liver says STOP! I am glad the AI pricing is much cheaper.

Edited by neverlaysup

1 hour ago, mitz18 said:

in 2010, my partner and I sailed on Solstice. It was his first Celebrity cruise and my 7th or 8th. We are both accountants. It was the early days of drink packages. Since he was “funding” the cruise,” I deferred to him on purchasing the drink package. His initial approach was that having to sign slips and track accuracy of the onboard account was going to be a PIA, so we bought it. As we were number crunchers, he tracked how much we spent on drinks each day. This went on for 3-4 days at most. His analysis was that, at a minimum, we broke even, but most days we came out ahead. 

I am not sure that is applicable these days. The cost of the package has increased exponentially more  than the cost of drinks. So I analyze every cruise when deciding to go with the all included or just the cruise option. Most times, (note I said MOST)  with tips and Wi-Fi included, the all inclusive is a better deal, regardless of whether one consumes alcohol or not.

Edited by Straughn
  • Like 2

This has got to sound stupid but  have seen AI and all inclusive mentioned many times, but I don’t know what that is. Our t/a never addressed this as an option. Can I get it on something already booked, should I want to?  But as I say, I don’t even know what it is. 

4 minutes ago, Bently57 said:

This has got to sound stupid but  have seen AI and all inclusive mentioned many times, but I don’t know what that is. Our t/a never addressed this as an option. Can I get it on something already booked, should I want to?  But as I say, I don’t even know what it is. 

It’s a package you can add at the time of booking. It includes prepaid standard gratuities, basic wifi, and classic beverage. You would need to rebook at prevailing rates to get it now. 

• Like 1

We couldn’t justify a drink package for our upcoming cruise since both of us would have had to purchase it and I don’t drink much alcohol and zero coffee or soda. However, my DH loves his coffee and sodas, so we bought him a zero proof package since it wasn’t required that I have to buy one as well. 

1 hour ago, neverlaysup said:

Your math is off....the Classic package is $89 a day plus 20% gratuity so the cost is $106.80. The $12 dollar drinks mean you will pay $2.40 extra per drink as well. You would need to drink 11 $10 dollar drinks a day or supplement a few of those with water, coffee or soda. Even if you drank $20 a day in water, soda and coffee, you would still need to average 9 drinks a day....every day....to break even. For the Premium package, the total daily cost including gratuity is $130.80 so the same math applies if you are drinking nothing but premium drinks. I can keep up for a few days before my liver says STOP! I am glad the AI pricing is much cheaper.

I disagree.  Using your numbers, the package cost $106.80 and the drinks are $14.40 ($12 + $2.40).  So $106.80 divided by $14.40 = 7.41 drinks at $12 + tip.  Where is the math off?  My DP and I have a couple of mimosas at breakfast, a couple of glasses of bubbles for lunch, misc drinks during the afternoon and then drinks at dinnner and in the evening.  Believe me we’ve done the math and it’s close.  If the cruise is port intensive and you’re going to go onshore every day/all day the the package does not work.  If you are staying on board most of the time (&/or want the convenience of not signing recipes for every drink) the package works.  Besides, it seems the AI increases the rate by about $90 (+ gratis) but includes the tips and Wi-Fi.  So even with the $10 pd upgrade to premium,it’s not $106.80 for the drinks.  Any way, each to their own and just pick what works best for you

• Like 2