What is a mini suite like?

dickinson

I am booked in a mini suite but second guessing what it would be like to step into a deep tub for a shower on a cruise ship.  Does the tub have a non stick surface?  What are your experiences like?

I like the idea of the extra seating area.  I can downgrade to a balcony but when my agent tried to do it she was seeing that it was taking off my EZ air so she stopped.  She asked if I had an air special and I said no.  She is checking further and will call me back.  

We just had our first mini suite on the Sky Princess in Jan and loved it. My wife has a little mobility issue and still enjoyed the bathtub as it was not too high in and out. The extra space with the sofa was very nice as well. We have always had a balcony which has always been perfect. Our daughter came with us and actually slept in the sofa and said was very comfortable. I would think you will enjoy the extra space.

2 minutes ago, larrybritt said:

We just had our first mini suite on the Sky Princess in Jan and loved it. My wife has a little mobility issue and still enjoyed the bathtub as it was not too high in and out. The extra space with the sofa was very nice as well. We have always had a balcony which has always been perfect. Our daughter came with us and actually slept in the sofa and said was very comfortable. I would think you will enjoy the extra space.

Thanks. That info helps. I have a little bit of a balance issue. When I booked there were no balconies in any of the locations I wanted. 

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

Does the tub have a non stick surface?

We book minis all the time.  DW always asks for a safety mat to use in the tub...it's possible it could get slick, especially if the wall mounted soap dispensers were to leak.

• Like 1

We only book mini suites.  I purchase an inexpensive rubber bath mat at the Dollar Store, which is perfect to prevent any slippery tub issues.  At the end of the cruise we either just dispose of it in the garbage or our steward takes it away.  There is a grab bar to help you get in and out.

Thanks all for the help.  My TA called back and said they found a way to not lose my EZ Air when changing my cabin to the balcony (she actually had to call someone else who also had issues).  When she called me back it was already done so we are in a balcony now.  A mini suite would have been nice as a change but we are going to save $700 so I don't feel too bad 😉

Every mini we have stayed has a bathmat rolled up under the sink. Our cabin steward always rolled it and put it back when he cleaned the bathroom. I don't find the tub too difficult to get in or out of.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Thanks all for the help.  My TA called back and said they found a way to not lose my EZ Air when changing my cabin to the balcony (she actually had to call someone else who also had issues).  When she called me back it was already done so we are in a balcony now.  A mini suite would have been nice as a change but we are going to save $700 so I don't feel too bad 😉

Glad you’re happy with the outcome.  Keep in mind that standard balcony staterooms have no sofa or chair or coffee table.  Just a desk chair.   We found it very challenging to drink coffee or eat anything sitting on a bed.  I would jump at only having to pay $700.00 extra.  However, you know what you like, so I hope you have an absolutely awesome cruise!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Glad you’re happy with the outcome.  Keep in mind that standard balcony staterooms have no sofa or chair or coffee table.  Just a desk chair.   We found it very challenging to drink coffee or eat anything sitting on a bed.  I would jump at only having to pay $700.00 extra.  However, you know what you like, so I hope you have an absolutely awesome cruise!

I agree.

The $700 saving seems very small for such a major downgrade in cabin type.

I wonder if the new cabin is actually a Premium Deluxe (or whatever the term is) that actually does have a sofa. That seems a more reasonable downgrade for a $700 saving.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Which is why I prefer the premium balconies. I like the sofa especially when having tea service in front of the game. Royal Princess has a larger sports bar, Deck 6 Double Down Bar, but most cram it into smoky Churchills

• Like 1

We really liked being in a mini after spending most of our cruises in a balcony room or deluxe balcony. We loved the extra room and the spaciousness of the tub when showering. We didn't find it slippery and had no issues. I know a balcony is less expensive but this can be a nice upgrade. We've already booked another one for our cruise around Norway next summer!

4 minutes ago, paradiselivin1 said:

We really liked being in a mini after spending most of our cruises in a balcony room or deluxe balcony. We loved the extra room and the spaciousness of the tub when showering. We didn't find it slippery and had no issues. I know a balcony is less expensive but this can be a nice upgrade. We've already booked another one for our cruise around Norway next summer!

I agree, we love a minisuite. However, our July Baltic cruise has only three sea days out of 14, so we downgraded to a Premium Deluxe balcony, as we didn't think we would get full use out of a minisuite.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I agree, we love a minisuite. However, our July Baltic cruise has only three sea days out of 14, so we downgraded to a Premium Deluxe balcony, as we didn't think we would get full use out of a minisuite.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I get it. I just checked and we have 5 sea days out of 17. I like hanging out in the cabin and reading on those "off" days rather than hunting for a place to drop and chill. If it's a port-intensive trip; I'd consider a balcony or deluxe balcony. Miss those old chairs in the cabin....guess they found a way to make us upgrade 🥴

Thanks all for your thoughts.  Hope it will help others but for us it is a done deal.  I called my TA for something else and she asked if I checked to see if the price went down.  One thing led to another and here we are.  It is a 7 day cruise with two sea days.  Air is expensive because it is to Europe so any savings is good.  As much as it would have been nice to try a mini suite, we have been in balconies before so know what it is like.

• Like 1

We always try to book mini-suites unless the deal on the cruise is too good to pass up and the same deal doesn’t apply to mini suites. The extra space is very nice and you don’t feel cramped at all

We always book mini-suites.  The ones with the curtains between the bed and sofa are really nice when my wife sleeps more than I do. I can read, watch TV, or go on the balcony without disturbing her.

7 hours ago, Ombud said:

Which is why I prefer the premium balconies. I like the sofa especially when having tea service in front of the game. Royal Princess has a larger sports bar, Deck 6 Double Down Bar, but most cram it into smoky Churchills

Premium Balconies do not have the small sofa.

Deluxe Balcony cabins is what you're after.

Premium balconies are still just the standard balcony with no seating area, in Premium locations.

Deluxe Balcony, which is the category D - is the one with the sodas.

You can have Balcony, Premium Balcony... Same cabin, different location.

Deluxe Balcony, Premium Deluxe Balcony - same cabin, different location.

Premium just refers to "better" location.

8 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Premium balconies are still just the standard balcony with no seating area, in Premium locations.

Your right ... I book the one with the sofa mid ship

8 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Deluxe on Discover is a "love seat" not a sofa.

The cost is higher for the mini suite, but the bathroom is soooooo much better.

I would love to try a "suite" but pocket book will not allow it.

We are currently booked in a Deluxe Balcony on the Sky Princess.   A couple of months ago we were on the Sky Princess and in a mini suite with an angled balcony.   It was very very nice!   I'm spoiled.   But when I booked our next cruise it was a $500 difference per person to get the mini suite so we will make do with the Deluxe Balcony.   It at least has a love seat.   I'm going to miss the bigger bathroom with a tub the most.   To me it wasn't worth spending $1000 more just to get a mini suite.   You could do a lot of things with that $1000.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rjack22 said:

We are currently booked in a Deluxe Balcony on the Sky Princess.   A couple of months ago we were on the Sky Princess and in a mini suite with an angled balcony.   It was very very nice!   I'm spoiled.   But when I booked our next cruise it was a $500 difference per person to get the mini suite so we will make do with the Deluxe Balcony.   It at least has a love seat.   I'm going to miss the bigger bathroom with a tub the most.   To me it wasn't worth spending $1000 more just to get a mini suite.   You could do a lot of things with that $1000.

Much as we like the minisuites, I agree with you.

But, on our Sky cruise in July we have a deluxe cabin with a bigger balcony than the angled minisuite balcony, at a lot less cost. We'll make do without a tub !

• Like 1