Tips and hints for solo cruiser

Avalon35

1 hour ago, Avalon35 said:

First solo cruise. Hints, tips, suggestions? 

make sure you have a nice book to mark your spot in buffet, and enjoy people watching.

I have cruised a long time solo and folks will strike up conversations with you all the time or you strike up a conversation.  The crew will definitely enjoy talking to you.

I feel safe on ships and can mix and mingle as much as I want.

And when you see some folks arguing, you can be happy you are alone.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I usually cruise with hubby, but started doing some solo in the last couple years.  First time I worried how I would handle it... turns out, absolutely loved it.  If you feel like being social, its very easy to strike up a conversation with those around you.  Made some acquaintances and planned a couple dinners together as well.  Also easy to have some peaceful quiet time if that's what you want.  It's nice not to have to negotiate any detail, just do what you feel like doing at the time. 

Have an awesome time.

• Like 4

Good replies🙂 I have been cruising solo for 20 years and I love it!......you can do whatever you want (or don't want for that matter)....if you want to get up early, go for it......if you want to sleep in? Do it.

If you enjoy certain activities, give them a try......it is a nice way to meet others (If you want to) or, if you just want to lay out, read a book and take a nap, do that too. 

After all these years of cruising solo, not sure I ever want to share a cabin with anyone ever again LOL.

I have been on my own for 90% of my life so even here at home, I don't share with anyone.....so sharing space on a cruise ship? That would not be in the cards for me.....and that is ok!  I value my space. Just got back last month from a cruise around Greece and Turkey😃 LOVED IT! Going again in August to the British Isles....can't wait!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise, whatever line and itinerary you are choosing🙂

• Like 9

THINK and PLAN. Some posters will tell you "don't think" and "don't plan". They're right about the small stuff, if you forget sunscreen, easily resolved; Critical things like, what to do if you lose your passport? What if your credit card is denied? Who has your medical Power of Attorney?, of course you need to think about anywhere you travel as a solo.

Cruising is generally pretty easy for a solo, port stops are pretty much the only hard part.

I'm a recent solo cruiser and really enjoying it. Not being a very outgoing person, I thought I might find it difficult in crowded social settings. I quickly found out that cruise ships are big and have many different places you can relax in, that are quiet at some times of day.

One thing I worried about was eating alone, but that is easy on a cruise, because you can just ask to share a table with others.  I avoided it being the same table every meal, so I met a lot of different people for short periods and had soem interesting conversations over a meal.

Shore excursions for singles can be a problem if they are small groups, which I prefer to the large groups on ship's excursions. Joining the Cruise Critic Roll Call is a very good way to join in with others who are organising private shore excursions. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I go to the buffet I bring a sweater / sweatshirt and drape it over my seat and leave my hat on the table to indicate the the table is taken and that I'm just up getting more food or drink.  I also bring a travel mug or some other personal item to leave on the table. That way I don't have to worry about the bus person clearing my table and losing it.

I also try to go to any ship sponsored solo luncheons to try to meet other solo travelers.  I find the dining setting more social than trying to talk to other solo travelers in a noisy bar meet and greet.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Organizing a private tour is a great way to meet people. 1) You get to plan a small group tour of what you want to do in a port and get people to join you, 2) you meet people ahead on the roll call, 3) you already have people you know in advance who may invite you to dinner or drinks, etc., and 4) its really fun planning a tour  and its usually easy. Then on the cruise you get a tour with 8-16 people at a cost you like doing something you want longer than you would through the ship.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, bob10173 said:

I am reading about all the solo cruisers. Are all these solo cruisers paying the singles supplement? I am thinking about doing a singles cruise but the cruise companies all want double. Normal? 

Yes absolutely normal been cruising solo since 2000 I always pay double occupancy. Want a good cabin with a balcony or not for that matter your paying double. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bob10173 said:

I am reading about all the solo cruisers. Are all these solo cruisers paying the singles supplement? I am thinking about doing a singles cruise but the cruise companies all want double. Normal? 

It's normal to pay double for a cabin, but there are ways around it.  Dedicated solo cabins house one and are priced as such.  And cruise lines sometimes reduce the single tax or eliminate it entirely.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bob10173 said:

If I have to pay double \, I would take someone with me with the cruise on my dime

I'm not interested in sharing my bedroom and bathroom with a friend (or friends).  If I had house guests they wouldn't be staying in my room or using the master bathroom - when on vacation i'm not willing to downgrade.  I do cruise with a couple other solo friends - the 3 of us book 3 staterooms.  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 11

59 minutes ago, bob10173 said:

If I have to pay double \, I would take someone with me with the cruise on my dime

I haven't shared a cabin with anyone in years and years and don't ever plan to........Hell, I don't  even share a remote with anyone here at home,😀,,,,,,,I have no desire to share while cruising.  I value my own space too much to give it up.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 9/28/2023 at 2:26 PM, bob10173 said:

Think of it this way: they quote the price for the cabin per person, double occupancy, but the cost of the CABIN is more (like the cost of a hotel room, whether one or two are staying in it). And as others have pointed out, you do get the bathroom and all the storage space to yourself.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 5:18 PM, bob10173 said:

You can find deals where there is little or no single supplement. I sometimes will cruise with someone but honestly rather have the room to myself and not have to share. It’s a different vibe when cruising solo and I prefer it that way. 

my long term goal is cruising for 3-4 months a year and I would occasionally maybe have someone join me for a segment but that’s it. I’m not sharing my bedroom for more than a week especially since I’d be working as I cruise.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve travelled solo for a few years now I’d be pretty hard-pressed to start sharing a room. I’d sooner just pay the double occupancy. What’s that saying? You can make or break a friendship 😄

I have met other cruisers in the past say oh yeah, we’re travelling together. This is our first time. We’ve been friends for years blah blah blah the next thing you know over the duration of the cruise they’re mad at each other, or they stop talking to each other. They spend time opposite sides of the ship.😂 some real good drama. 👍 “ made for reality TV kind of stuff.”🍿🍹🛋️

Now, that’s not to say it happens every time. Other times I’ve met other cruisers that travel together and get along really well and have an absolute blast.👍🎉 

Edited by shandryl
  • Like 2

On 9/29/2023 at 3:21 PM, Lois R said:

I haven't shared a cabin with anyone in years and years and don't ever plan to........Hell, I don't  even share a remote with anyone here at home,😀,,,,,,,I have no desire to share while cruising.  I value my own space too much to give it up.

Lois, I haven't sailed with you for years, but happy to see you are still on the go.  I believe our cruises were on Celebrity (Century or Millennium).   Regardless, happy to see you are out and about and hope to see you on a future cruise. Pat

6 hours ago, taznremmy said:

Lois, I haven't sailed with you for years, but happy to see you are still on the go.  I believe our cruises were on Celebrity (Century or Millennium).   Regardless, happy to see you are out and about and hope to see you on a future cruise. Pat

Hi Pat, yes, we sailed together (our own cabins LOL) many, many years ago. And nice to see you out there too😃

On 9/29/2023 at 3:00 PM, wdw1972 said:

I'm not interested in sharing my bedroom and bathroom with a friend (or friends).  If I had house guests they wouldn't be staying in my room or using the master bathroom - when on vacation i'm not willing to downgrade.  I do cruise with a couple other solo friends - the 3 of us book 3 staterooms.  

Sue/WDW1972

Yes I agree I feel more comfortable in my own room.  However, I would like to find other solo travelers to cruise with.  So fell free to keep us updated on future cruises in case I want to tag. LoL