Pictures of the VERY SAD Mast Grill / buffet burgers...

NutsAboutGolf

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

Pizza on ships and in Fl ( winter season)  cannot compare to NY Pizza..We found one good  place..turns out owner is from our local area up north!  Same with bagels!

Had fabulous pizza on my recent trip to Amsterdam.  Think its called Pizza de Bakkers near Central Station. 

21 minutes ago, hcat said:

Pizza on ships and in Fl ( winter season)  cannot compare to NY Pizza..We found one good  place..turns out owner is from our local area up north!  Same with bagels!

Something to keep in mind is, if someone has never had authentic NY, there's a chance they may not like it.  I personally prefer the best thing around which means when in Chicago I'm not going to seek out NY pizza and when in NY I'm not going to seek out Chicago deep dish pizza.  With that being said, here in LA we have just about every type of pizza you can get often made by people who grew up in NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Italy, etc who can produce a pizza that's 90% as good as the original.  Some shops even import local water to help it taste more authentic

On 5/28/2023 at 2:31 PM, Mountaineer0313 said:

And it was actually really good. Like seriously good. The crust was chewy but crispy, the cheese was yummy. Totally recommend. I can't wait to be on Celebrity in January to see if it's still as good.

It was still delicious on our cruise earlier this month. 

The pizza and the ice cream were the only reasons we ever went to the OVC.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/17/2023 at 5:45 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

This was from the Beyond recently and I asked for a patty hot off the grill.  I've included a juicy homemade burger so you can see the texture.  X's burgers are so dry, the texture is almost mushy and it just tastes so below average, there's really no flavor and they're very industrial...

burger3.thumb.jpg.b46151d763c855f7dcb83f9081faa4fa.jpgburger2.thumb.jpg.30fc8fe45f70dd4e58036b98c513fd64.jpgburger1.thumb.jpg.d19bffdb3f8855d453049b944f797284.jpg

image.png.f9d73aa532fa2821354134a0b7ab586e.png

We were on the Beyond in February and I found the burgers to be very good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, diesel1973 said:

i wouldn't trust any ones opinion of pizza unless they were from Chicago (South Side)

I would not trust anyone from Chicago's opinion on pizza.  What Chicago calls a pizza we call a loaf of flattened bread with pizza toppings.  Neapolitan / NYC style thing crust is the only real pizza. 

p.s.  let me pizza wars begin. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Does Celebrity has pizza with the gluten free crust?  What about with premium cheeses?

Yes, on GF pizza crust.  Wife, who is Coeliac, rates Celebrity’s gluten free crust as Very Good.  Cooked to order in special aluminum individual pans.

Don't recall on special cheeses.  I think no though.

Edited by What A Market
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Does Celebrity has pizza with the gluten free crust?  What about with premium cheeses?

They usually have a sign to make GF crusts on request.  They'll make you anything you want including calzones assuming they have the ingredients and one will need to wait 10-15mins.  I doubt they have premium ingredients and have never tried bringing other items from the buffet for them to put on a pizza but you can ask

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I would not trust anyone from Chicago's opinion on pizza.  What Chicago calls a pizza we call a loaf of flattened bread with pizza toppings.  Neapolitan / NYC style thing crust is the only real pizza. 

p.s.  let me pizza wars begin. 

Some of the best pizza recipe developers do not perfect a single specific pizza type and stop, they take talents and develop another type.  If one has a shop run by this guy, he wins all sorts of awards and offers different styles of pizza at the same shop.  If one ends up visiting Vegas, they need to stop at Pizza Rock downtown.  Some of the best pizza I've ever had

image.thumb.png.7339be91e6d8cc2e5efc1d3d6b7e6484.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Gemignani

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Some of the best pizza recipe developers do not perfect a single specific pizza type and stop, they take talents and develop another type.  If one has a shop run by this guy, he wins all sorts of awards and offers different styles of pizza at the same shop.  If one ends up visiting Vegas, they need to stop at Pizza Rock downtown.  Some of the best pizza I've ever had

image.thumb.png.7339be91e6d8cc2e5efc1d3d6b7e6484.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Gemignani

Thanks.  I just realized that I have one of these close to my house.  Booked up for lunch.  I will visit them next weekend.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 2:10 PM, m8zenblue said:

I hate to pile on but I had to make a comment on this subject. 

On our last X cruise on the Constellation, we couldn't wait to get a burger at Mast Grill.

I got all the toppings and fries.

Burger was inedible, cold & dry, bun was old and falling apart.

Usually we have a burger at least 3-4 times, not on this trip. 

the guy cooking burgers was from columbus ohio....ha ha ha

• Haha 1

Aloha. Born and raised in Manhattan. Grandparents from Sicily. My grandmother made pizza and during the process would put the dough on pans and cover them then blankets and let the dough rise laying them on a bed.  All the grandkid’s self included would jump on the beds and she would yell at us in Italian lol. That said I tend to be very easy to please when it comes to pizza. Detroit, Chicago, LA, Hawaii, Italy.  However when it comes to sauce/gravy or bagels…now that is a different story!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retired dude said:

the guy cooking burgers was from columbus ohio....ha ha ha

We had the same experience with bad burgers on the Silhouette. 
That’s why your burger was bad, you let a “Luckeye” cook it, lol 😂 

Never been impressed by the food at the mast grill. Almost always it's been cold, and it's usually tasteless. Burgers are cooked from frozen. Disappointing that there are not many other lunch options on the ship on port days (and that Luminae closed for lunch on port days). Not been wowed by the buffet either for lunch (it's great for breakfast).

57 minutes ago, talljules1 said:

Never been impressed by the food at the mast grill. Almost always it's been cold, and it's usually tasteless. Burgers are cooked from frozen. Disappointing that there are not many other lunch options on the ship on port days (and that Luminae closed for lunch on port days). Not been wowed by the buffet either for lunch (it's great for breakfast).

Had a bite of a burger once and left it. Prefer my own bbqd ones

• Like 2

On 10/13/2023 at 8:53 PM, deliver42 said:

I was on her last December, and had no problem with the burger. Hot and juicy. Not crazy about the fries, but I would think they use frozen packaged fries.

Good! I like eating at the Mast Grill at least once every cruise.  I generally found the burgers very good. Not cold.  I also founf the hot dogs to be excellent.  Goint to be on the Reflection in December, I'll let you know.

On 10/14/2023 at 2:03 PM, LouChamp said:

Aloha. Born and raised in Manhattan. Grandparents from Sicily. My grandmother made pizza and during the process would put the dough on pans and cover them then blankets and let the dough rise laying them on a bed.  All the grandkid’s self included would jump on the beds and she would yell at us in Italian lol. That said I tend to be very easy to please when it comes to pizza. Detroit, Chicago, LA, Hawaii, Italy.  However when it comes to sauce/gravy or bagels…now that is a different story!

My husb's  grandma..Sicilano.. would cut her pizza with a scissor..even when she brought it to a hosp visit! 

In Fuminico Italy,  we had local pizza for lunch..they sold it by weight and also cut it with a big scissor.

We still enjoy mama's  recipe, esp with our grands.....  But nothing beats NY Pizza, Bagels and Bialey. Our neighbor from Turkey owns a few bagel stores and keeps us well supplied!

We do not generally eat pizza on ships!

Just now, hcat said:

My husb's  grandma..Sicilano.. would cut her pizza with a scissor..even when she brought it to a hosp visit! 

In Fuminico Italy,  we had local pizza for lunch..they sold it by weight and also cut it with a big scissor.

We still enjoy mama's  recipe, esp with our grands.....  But nothing beats NY Pizza, Bagels and Bialey. Our neighbor from Turkey owns a few bagel stores and keeps us well supplied!

We do not generally eat pizza on ships!

Aloha. I am so happy you mentioned Bialys! Growing up in Manhattan thee was a bialy store near me. To this day, I have yet to find any similar. I did not  write about it as I didn’t think many would know ab