Complaint about Blu

OnTheJourney

On 5/19/2023 at 11:12 AM, mrgabriel said:

I would be really disappointed if they opened the doors early. 

The 'seat the early birds' in the window section is a problem, in my opinion. We've sailed in AQ about a dozen times and some hosts/hostesses do a better job of seating than others.  I know that they want everyone to stay with the same team of servers so my thinking is that they need to rotate the servers AND passengers throughout the sections so one group of lucky people isn't given window seats while others are stuck on the back wall. 

I don't exactly see how this is a problem. It's the same people who would wait at 5:15 and then get the same seats.

I feel that aside from the smaller space, BLU is generally overhyped, and if one doesn't care for the spa component, then the money is better invested in going for specialty dining every day.

• Like 2

Haven't been fans of blu in years.  tables weren't private for two.  A row of tables just a foot apart .  People chime in private conversations.  Also food blah.  If we aren't in a suite now, we would take a well located balcony cabin and dine in specialty restaurants nightly.  So much better.  We used the Spa facilities once- and do not care for the "perks" in the room.  The atomizer smells and is terrible for my allergies- the tea not to our liking-  The shower head not worth it!   Also, typically we get a better located balcony cabin.  This is my opinion others might disagree.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hawkstar33 said:

Some folks have medical issues that forces them eat earlier than others do.   Then you got the ones that eat early, wanna catch the 7:00pm show, and want to go to bed early.  Others like the early quietness..  But agree, no lines should be forming, and should wait till it opens.  

I had an uncle who wanted dinner at 4:00PM. He said it was the only way he could fit in four meals a day.

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

I had an uncle who wanted dinner at 4:00PM. He said it was the only way he could fit in four meals a day.

Yes, I left out the over endulgers.   

Edited by Hawkstar33

2 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

So if I show up at about 2:00 pm and stand outside looking hungry, I may get fed?  This is what my neighbor’s cat does, and it works sometimes.

Show up at 2pm and later, sell your place in line for a $100

• Haha 5

On 5/19/2023 at 4:23 AM, dcbiker97 said:

I’m sure this is the opposite of many, but I don’t really care to sit by the window in Luminae or Blu.  It’s not a clear view out because the windows distort things and after it gets dark, it’s not like you can see anything.  Give me the best server any night over a window. 

I have to agree. We tell the hostess that we dont want to sit in the 2 tops near the window in Blu. While you do have a little more space in Luminae. We still ask not to be seated at the window.

The only time I have a hard time finding something to eat for dinner is in Luminae on the Edge March 2019. Friends have booked Apex for Iceland June 2024. Being with friends is more important than my dislike of Edge class Luminae.

I suspect this isn't a problem on Carnival, where the crowds are much younger.  Many old people just eat early. Maybe it dates to the days when women stayed home and the Man of the House expected dinner the minute he got home.  I am old too.   I can not imagine eating at 5 o'clock.    I want to enjoy cocktail hour first!  

On 5/19/2023 at 3:58 PM, swjumbo said:

eat at a sensible time of 1930 till 2000

What is deemed as a "sensible" time is totally subjective. 7:30 is way too late for us. So is 6:30 for that matter. I have no interest in 'cocktail' hour before dinner. Each to his/her own. 

• Like 2

On 5/20/2023 at 7:51 AM, Cruise a holic said:

People chime in private conversations.

Agreed! This totally annoyed me our first night. We were seated next to a mother / daughter couple who chatted away constantly - mostly about her job searches and interviews - but then as soon as I mentioned something about trying to decide which starter I wanted, she chimed right in and made a comment on one the choices I was considering - not that she wasn't trying to be helpful, but it made it obvious that even while doing their own conversation she had her antenna up to listen to whatever we said. We asked to be changed for the 2nd night. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

On 5/19/2023 at 12:58 PM, swjumbo said:

and eat at a sensible time of 1930 till 2000

Nothing 'sensible' about it. It's just when you prefer to eat...just like others have a preferred time when they like to eat...🙄

• Like 3

Obviously not every cruiser can have a window seat for dining,  I would guess that not all, but most people would have that preference.  My DW and I have enjoyed many cruises, there is no way to prevent people from Queuing up for various activities including dining.  Boarding, disembarking, dining, going to the, show, etc.  Wouldn’t it be nice if we could all be first if we wished?

And now we are not suppose to have a conversation even at our own table or dare talk to our neighbor?

Rather sad.

Edited by jagoffee

59 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

And now we are not suppose to have a conversation even at our own table or dare talk to our neighbor?

As far as talking with your dining companions, use your inside voices. There is no reason a table next to you should be hearing every word of your conversation.

Regarding talking to the people at the table next to you, say "Hello" and read their response. NOT everyone cruises to make new "friends" and NOT everyone wants to talk with the table next to them. If your neighbors are obviously open to it, sure, Talk. BUT if your neighbor's response to your greeting is curt or non-existent (and/or if they are solo and whip out a book or e-reader), take the hint that they are not there for conversing - and leave them alone.

And definitely unless they ask you for your opinion on menu items, keep it to yourself.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

As far as talking with your dining companions, use your inside voices. There is no reason a table next to you should be hearing every word of your conversation.

Regarding talking to the people at the table next to you, say "Hello" and read their response. NOT everyone cruises to make new "friends" and NOT everyone wants to talk with the table next to them. If your neighbors are obviously open to it, sure, Talk. BUT if your neighbor's response to your greeting is curt or non-existent (and/or if they are solo and whip out a book or e-reader), take the hint that they are not there for conversing - and leave them alone.

And definitely unless they ask you for your opinion on menu items, keep it to yourself.

You are absolutely right on the mark.  My job involves working with a wide variety of folks, so a cruise for me is to unwind, spend valuable leisure time with DH without work or anyone else interfering and not have to converse with folks I don't wish to.  (Love chatting with the crew and learning about their homelands.) Sometimes, but rarer now post covid, we've encountered a table beside us with folks who just had to comment on DH and my conversation and/or ask a lot of personal questions.  So, your advice was spot on!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Not always a solution.. many people have hearing loss especially with the age demographics on Celebrity. I have always needed to talk loud for my husband to hear ( don't need a get hearing aide talk as he is way past that) Also indoor voices don't work with all the other sounds  coming in for many .

• Like 3

interesting thread..we have been in BLU many times since inception and have not encountered many problems with lines or seating. (we eat early)

We have experienced acoustic issues in BLU on EDGE which also had bad  views of equipment... drapes were kept closed. Other issue sometimes  is large loud groups set up at banquet tables towards the side,  absorbing staff attention...They should not allow large groups!

Way back on REFLECTION ( before Luminae)  large lines of suite guests were walked in ahead of BLU guests until complaints stopped the practice! Now suite guests have Luminae and can enjoy BLU subject to availability.

We prefer BLU to Luminae..lighter, and  brighter atmosphere,  and  the food is  more to our taste and style.  we also like the 4 mdrs on E class, esp Tuscan and Cyprus 

Great to have choices!

52 minutes ago, hcat said:

interesting thread..we have been in BLU many times since inception and have not encountered many problems with lines or seating. (we eat early)

We have experienced acoustic issues in BLU on EDGE which also had bad  views of equipment... drapes were kept closed. Other issue sometimes  is large loud groups set up at banquet tables towards the side,  absorbing staff attention...They should not allow large groups!

Way back on REFLECTION ( before Luminae)  large lines of suite guests were walked in ahead of BLU guests until complaints stopped the practice! Now suite guests have Luminae and can enjoy BLU subject to availability.

We prefer BLU to Luminae..lighter, and  brighter atmosphere,  and  the food is  more to our taste and style.  we also like the 4 mdrs on E class, esp Tuscan and Cyprus 

Great to have choices!

I do not recall that the Reflection didn't have Luminae.  However, IMO no comparison dining in Luminae to Blu.  We did Blu a few times, and "got over it" after about 4 cruises.  Blu on the Edge class ships in a poor location- part of the restaurant is near a busy hallway .  Never found the food "great".  We are able to modify the menu in Luminae- 

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I do not recall that the Reflection didn't have Luminae.  However, IMO no comparison dining in Luminae to Blu.  We did Blu a few times, and "got over it" after about 4 cruises.  Blu on the Edge class ships in a poor location- part of the restaurant is near a busy hallway .  Never found the food "great".  We are able to modify the menu in Luminae- 

None of the pre-E class ships had Luminae when initially built.  It was added to the ships later.  

On 5/18/2023 at 10:38 PM, Octavias said:

That is a dilemma for sure.  If they let the line form, then the entire place will be seated at essentially the same time (when they open) which will cause problems too.  I have no idea what a good solution is.  

I like that they seat you at/near the same place with the same staff each night but it is unfair that some people end up with a view every time and others never.  

Hmmm... If all those people who come 1 hour earlier will come at 5:25 pm instead, the outcome would still be the same - the entire place will be seated at essentially the same time.  One cannot expect couples to come in 3 min intervals each, and a cruise line is not accountable for how people choose to arrive for dinner at any restaurant on the ship (whether it is main, Blu, or Luminae on Celebrity, or whatever else on other cruise lines).