The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday May 22nd, 2023

richwmn

Ann @Vict0riann I'm sorry to hear Pat is experiencing an infection after his surgery.  Hopefully the antibiotics do their job and he is right as rain by the weekend.  Have a wonderful belated 60th wedding anniversary!🥂🎉

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for sharing your photos with us.  They're great!  I remember from our first trip up the fjord to Geiranger, the ship stopping and people getting off to visit Hellesylt, then meeting up with the ship later in Geiranger.  As I recall they arrived by bus so there must be a road along there, just like you thought.  As for my tummy, I am doing much better this afternoon.  It seems to flare up at times then I'm okay for a while.  It's the ache in the stomach and nausea that gets me.

Carolyn, @Cruising-along thanks for your concern.  As I just told Lenda, I'm doing well right now.  I'm just too sensitive!  Thanks for your photos too.  Think how lucky we all are to have traveled to that fjord in Norway and witnessed the beauty there firsthand!

Brenda @bennybear thanks for your photos too!

Terri @Cruzin Terri really have my fingers crossed the squeaky wheel gets greased, and that your visit to the appliance store got a resolution to your dryer problem.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning (still is here) to all the good people on this board.

Happy Victoria Day to all my fellow Canucks.  Enjoyimg to day off but recovering from mixing, pouring, and placing over a yard or concrete yesterday.  I am getting way too old for this, but one more section of patio to go then selling the mixer. Was quite disappointed yesterday, went to pick up 4 40kg bags of Portland cement at a local lumber yard. There were 4 young guys there and I almost had to beg them to put the bags in the truck.  They wanted me to pay a deposit on a pallet so they could forklift it in.. in the end I had to help one of the youngsters load the bags. Ugh  

As things return to normal its time to start putting thought into our next cruise in late August.  My eldest son told me he's already had a few dreams about the cruise.  Guess he likes it.

Have a great day everyone

• Like 24

Happy Monday afternoon.  Around this senior's complex we always know when the work week starts as that is "mowing" day!  The new lawn service brings in about 10 large riding mowers, and about 20 extra workers to man the blowers and trimmers!  All done before about 3 in the afternoon.  Previous companies used to take 3 days to mow!

The pictures today from Norway have been stunning!  When I was younger that was a country that I wanted to visit, and then over the years I sort of forgot about it!  Now, it is my new dream destination on a BHB!  Can't do it till next summer, but I am going to start investigating!

I finally figured out why I am still on the Tylenol wagon.  When the plastic surgery was done, they must have used some sort of "clamp' to hold my head still while under anesthesia.  The top of my head is still numb and I get recurring pain from two sore spots on each side of my forehead.  Imagine that the same thing will happen with my second surgery, as there will be cutting close to my eye!    Wish I had been warned about this, but guess it doesn't matter, as it is something I have to live with!

Prayers for all on the Cares List.  It looks like more are preparing for their cruises which is so fun!

Have a great day, everyone!

Mary Kay

• Like 25

Ok, Dailyites, I'm hoping someone has experience with this.   I am four star but DS Sue is still three star.  I took a couple cruises without her.  I know that 4* gets priority tendering.  There are a couple tender ports on our upcoming cruises that we want to be able to get off right away.  From what I've read, I can just go down and show them my key card.  According to the FAQs, Sue gets the same privileges since she is on the same booking number.  How does that work with tendering?  Does she just come with me, or do we have to beg for a tender ticket for her since her key card only says 3*?  Do I go and she has to wait?

We don't want to cause problems and hold ups at the tendering station.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning Dailyites, and Happy Victoria Day.  It is celebrated here with great gusto, there will be a parade this morning, with marching bands coming from high schools in the States.  The first time since Covid!

Our guests (DD and her BF), have gone to the mainland to visit Whistler and friends in Vancouver.  They will be back on Saturday, in time for our 60th anniversary party on Sunday (it's not our anniversary, we put it off until they could be here).  I am so relieved it is at the golf club, and I don't have to do anything, because Pat has a very worrying infection and has been feeling absolutely miserable.  I finally forced him to go to Emergency on Saturday, and he is now on antibiotics for 10 days.   Evidently it is very common to have an infection after his surgery, but no one warned us what to look out for.  Today will be a quiet day, although we will have a visit from the community nurse.

My "Cruising AirTag" is in Ulvik today!  It seemed to be stuck in Aarhus for a few days, and I thought it had gone ashore for good, but perhaps it just couldn't find good internet to let me know where it was.  

We visited Geiranger on the Ryndam a few years ago, we shared a Neptune suite with DD and had a great time.  The "Voyage of the Midnight Sun" was a wonderful cruise on a lovely ship.  We love eggplant parmesan, but I think I have to find something blander for Pat today.  Maybe boiled chicken... That'll teach him to get sick!   

We had some rain last night, the deck is wet.  So I won't have to water today.  The plants have been drooping in the heat.  Very strange weather...

Happy Victoria day Ann.

Best wishes to Pat that the 10 day antibiotics course gets rid of his infection.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, dfish said:

Ok, Dailyites, I'm hoping someone has experience with this.   I am four star but DS Sue is still three star.  I took a couple cruises without her.  I know that 4* gets priority tendering.  There are a couple tender ports on our upcoming cruises that we want to be able to get off right away.  From what I've read, I can just go down and show them my key card.  According to the FAQs, Sue gets the same privileges since she is on the same booking number.  How does that work with tendering?  Does she just come with me, or do we have to beg for a tender ticket for her since her key card only says 3*?  Do I go and she has to wait?

On my last HAL cruise ( pre pandemic) I was told my lesser star cabin mate could come with me and we had no issues.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Happy Victoria Day to all of the Canadian friends here!  Hope you're enjoying your day.  No instruments here, I had a flute, but sold it a while back to a co-worker who's granddaughter wanted to learn how to play.  I hope she enjoyed it.  Our grandson has played percussion since 5th grade, (10th grade this year) and Thursday is his last concert.  He's dropping band to focus his energies on AP classes next year...his parents are kind of sad, so are we!  

@Vict0riannhoping your DH is quickly better with the antibiotics.

@Cruzin TerriHoping you got your dryer situation figured out today.

The meal and the drink of the day sound good!  The pictures today are also beautiful.  I have Norwegian blood, and maybe I'll get there someday!  

Tonight we're off to a 6, 7 and 8 year old softball game.  The season started last week, it's fun to watch them progress and figure it out over the season!  Last year, one of the girls caught her 1st fly ball during the last game - she was so excited, she kept looking in her glove to see that the ball was really there! 

Have a great evening, karen

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a mostly sunny and warm central Texas.  When we got back from Waco, the thermometer read 85F and there is just a whiff of a breeze every so often.  Shopping at W-M this week was better than last week as they had everything on the list except one -- DH's cardbordeaux. :classic_sad: What a first world problem.  He still has one unopened box though, so it's not a crisis yet.

6 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning all. Sunny here today with highs expected in the mid-60's. Possibly some rain but most of what had been forecast passed us by.

Back from the dog shows and pretty darned tired. The shows went fairly smoothly although we had to replace one judge at the last minute - not easy to do out here. People behaved themselves and of course the dogs were great. Mine were very happy to be sprung from the kennel yesterday evening although they never object to going out there. Now I have to really work on the house. I came in last night and just tossed everything. So today laundry, clearing and...... (drum roll, please) set up my final payment for the Grand Australia in January. If I can survive a dog show I can certainly handle a cruise.

@Superoma (no blue bubble for some reason) - I was so sorry to read about your Father when I got back. 

Take care all.

Susan with a very happy Bandit and Monty 

Susan, welcome home from the dog show.  I'm glad you decided you are up to the Grand Australia cruise next year.

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We had to turn the heat back on this morning -- and it rained during the night, so at least I won't have to water the pots and garden today.  After the morning drizzle passes it should be a nice day.

I won't be buying a musical instrument today, cheers for the Maritime Industry, and no Goth for me please.

I'll pass on the meal and red wine, but the drink would be good.  The quote is funny and I too have friends of both kinds. 😉  Last night I made homemade Gyros to use up the leftover Tzatziki sauce from the Tzatziki Chicken we had.  They were yummy! 

We were in Geiranger in 2019 on the Nieuw Statendam -- photos below.

The joint birthday party yesterday at the bouncy arena was fun, the kids all had a ball.  And it wasn't too loud because the arena is huge.  Their birthdays always seem to last a month, since the actual birthdays are 2 1/2 weeks apart and (so far anyway) they're agreeable to sharing the party.  After the party we went to Flower World and I got my tomato and pepper plants that I'll hopefully plant today.

Sandi @StLouisCruisers I was sorry to hear that your stomach is still giving you problems.  Hoping it passes soon!

Susan @durangoscots Yay on the Grand Australia final payment!  I know you weren't sure if you'd go, glad to hear you will be!  We'll be making our final payment this week.  First DH will be calling HAL to clear up a problem (one of our gift cards wasn't applied with the others).  It helps having an accountant for a spouse, he's caught 3 that didn't go through.  That's $1500.

We took an excursion up Eagle Road and Mt. Dalsnibba when we were in Geiranger a few years ago.  As others have said, the scenery is breathtaking!  It was mid September and very cold and wet but we had a great day!

Geiranger2.jpg.8d83e09063383f33b87d85722a427ed3.jpg

Geiranger3.jpg.5c1743dc571c5c440726354a86fc6f67.jpg

Eleven hairpin turns

hairpinturns2.thumb.jpg.d15591cc918fead37273d094a1951630.jpg

The Nieuw Statendam

ourship2.thumb.jpg.5fb03c548d53f93e61e39b261ef51bbd.jpg

waterfallsEagleRoad.jpg.8602c65cdf1cee657700e03f98f69933.jpg

greatview.jpg.0c1a4a204bc292d575ccc19abec65d93.jpg

fromEagleRoad2.jpg.c2d81a50b59e5b7b5035ce1d3e9cd3ef.jpg

Carolyn, I'm glad the party was a success and not too loud.

5 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny afternoon. We’re getting ready to leave for Hershey. My appointment is at 2:45 and should take about 30 minutes 🤞🙏

Fluff actually jumped up and sat in the window for several minutes. She is still doing okay and still breathing okay

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

I hope the appointment for the Botox went well.  That is good news about Fluff.

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for sharing your photos with us.  They're great!  I remember from our first trip up the fjord to Geiranger, the ship stopping and people getting off to visit Hellesylt, then meeting up with the ship later in Geiranger.  As I recall they arrived by bus so there must be a road along there, just like you thought.  As for my tummy, I am doing much better this afternoon.  It seems to flare up at times then I'm okay for a while.  It's the ache in the stomach and nausea that gets me.

Sandi, I'm glad you are doing better this afternoon.  I hope the improvement continues.  I guess Google Maps only show the major roads in Norway.  Here are some pictures of the road between Hellesylt and Geiranger, and a town we passed through where I think we had lunch at a hotel.  While we didn't see much of Geiranger, it was worth missing it to see part of the "interior" of Norway.

IMG_5552.thumb.JPG.84d59ed70da72961d825c1bd4cf29e88.JPG

IMG_5568.thumb.JPG.b76918d8a3cd1d654797cc7c516d7f70.JPG

IMG_5559.thumb.JPG.1ef6f46d7d81b081e0e645d2b65e6248.JPG

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Happy Monday afternoon.  Around this senior's complex we always know when the work week starts as that is "mowing" day!  The new lawn service brings in about 10 large riding mowers, and about 20 extra workers to man the blowers and trimmers!  All done before about 3 in the afternoon.  Previous companies used to take 3 days to mow!

The pictures today from Norway have been stunning!  When I was younger that was a country that I wanted to visit, and then over the years I sort of forgot about it!  Now, it is my new dream destination on a BHB!  Can't do it till next summer, but I am going to start investigating!

I finally figured out why I am still on the Tylenol wagon.  When the plastic surgery was done, they must have used some sort of "clamp' to hold my head still while under anesthesia.  The top of my head is still numb and I get recurring pain from two sore spots on each side of my forehead.  Imagine that the same thing will happen with my second surgery, as there will be cutting close to my eye!    Wish I had been warned about this, but guess it doesn't matter, as it is something I have to live with!

Prayers for all on the Cares List.  It looks like more are preparing for their cruises which is so fun!

Have a great day, everyone!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay, I'm sorry you are having sore places on your head.  I hope you do book a cruise to Norway.  Even if you can't get to today's port, the country and scenery is outstanding, but expensive.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Monday. I have been remiss in not posting since I’ve been home to let you all know that we got home safely from Vancouver last week. It was a very long day and we got home late. I’ve been busy ever since catching up with various things, most especially my DM and several of her doctor appointments. Plus we’ve had our DGD for 3 nights and snuggling with Blue. Poor thing never seems to sleep when he’s at the Pet Resort and will sleep all day and night when he gets home. Before all that sleep he ran around the house and checked out every room, then went outside and checked every corner of the yard. Probably just to make sure everything was the same. He seemed so joyous and happy running around. 

Of course I’m very behind on the Daily but hope everyone is well and either enjoying being on a cruise or planning a cruise. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Good evening, I am back from Hershey and 1st Botox is done. , 2nd round is scheduled for 8/31.

I’m glad it is over, just felt like pinprick. He said I should start to feel some results in about 2 days and peak in 2 weeks 🤞

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

We have had Sue’s sister cruising with us when she was just starting to cruise. She was always able to embark, disembark and take tender with us. B.

• Like 14

7 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

You must be in Peterborough , Ontario ,  Fred  celebrating the former Queen Victoria whos birthday was on May 24th but we will celebrate  ,  this on the closest Monday to her actual BD. ( Hey any reason to celebrate is great ! )

BTW congrats also to the Peterborough Petes beating our London Knights in the final for the Junior Championship in Hockey ! 

Enjoy your weeks at the lake weather is beautiful ! 

Tony 

Actually, we are in the 1000 Islands right now. We will do a boat tour tomorrow and then head up to Peterborough and the Kawartha Lakes. 

I did catch part of one of the Pete's/Knights playoff games at one of the restaurant stops on our journeys!

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Love the beach said:

On my last HAL cruise ( pre pandemic) I was told my lesser star cabin mate could come with me and we had no issues.

42 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

We have had Sue’s sister cruising with us when she was just starting to cruise. She was always able to embark, disembark and take tender with us. B.

Thank you both!   This is just what I needed to know and now I can quit obsessing over it.   We will be just fine!  

• Like 14

4 hours ago, dfish said:

She just goes with you.  She’s your companion and has the same privileges you do.  

Just say “she’s with me” if asked.   It’s a non issue.

But, fair warning - if there are too many 4*’s, you may end up in the show room with tender tickets.  If there are too many 4*’s, priority is difficult.  Hopefully that is not the case for you 🤞 

edited to say - oops.  Sorry I missed others had answered ou.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Hello all.

i went to the appliance store this afternoon. 

i was very calm but firm and let them know that this situation was not to my liking and that they either had to return my money or produce a dryer.  Somehow a dryer magically appeared and will be at my house on Wednesday.  Go figure!

Terri

• Like 24

27 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hello all.

i was very calm but firm and let them know that this situation was not to my liking and that they either had to return my money or produce a dryer.  Somehow a dryer magically appeared and will be at my house on Wednesday.  Go figure!

Terri

Terri, thats good news, but it does make you wonder.

Lenda

• Like 12

1 hour ago, kazu said:

She just goes with you.  She’s your companion and has the same privileges you do.  

Just say “she’s with me” if asked.   It’s a non issue.

But, fair warning - if there are too many 4*’s, you may end up in the show room with tender tickets.  If there are too many 4*’s, priority is difficult.  Hopefully that is not the case for you 🤞 

edited to say - oops.  Sorry I missed others had answered ou.  

We'll deal with it if there are tons of 4* wanting to be the first off the ship.  

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hello all.

Terri

Well, what do you know!   

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hello all.

Terri

@Cruzin Terri👏🏻👏🏻And good for you.

• Like 9

Thank you for the Fleet/Daily! Eggplant is not for me, I've never had a White Russian but maybe I should change that - I was 9 I guess when Carson retired and I don't remember The Tonight Show before Leno BUT I do remember Leno's first day I believe so maybe Carson is somewhere in the back of my memory. 😂

I loved the Norway pictures! This has recently become one of my must-dos. That picture of the Princess ship is WILD, it definitely does look like it's right on shore.

Long work day for me an I'm finally heading home, hope everyone is having a great night.

Edited by loveandpeas
  • Like 14

@Cruzin Terri that’s amazing news about the dryer!  Unreal!  Maybe it was a miracle?  

Loving everyone’s pictures of Gerainger. Our Hertigruten cruise didn’t stop there, I think it was too late in the season. 

🙏 for Eva and family, the Cares list and all in need, and cheers to all the celebrations. m—

• Like 13

7 hours ago, dfish said:

I know you’ve had this answered already, but here it is off the HAL Mariner Benefit site if it puts your mind at ease.

0DBF2F68-8DB1-4A05-854D-8E01C85D244C.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hello all.

Terri

Way to go Terri!  Now if you can just get through Wednesday and everything goes as planned, you will finally be able to dry your clothes on laundry day!

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thor actor Ray Stevenson has died aged 58.

Sad news and condolences to his family and friends. 

Graham, I don't know this actor but 58 is way too young to go.  Sympathy to his grieving family and friends.

• Like 4