Is a Queen Really a Queen?

jag82177

We are sailing in an Enchanted mini-suite soon and requested that our beds be configured as a queen. Given that a queen is essentially 2 twins pushed together, will the bed be closer in size to a king, or is it truly a queen? 

On X and Virgin, the queen configurations are a bit bigger than a standard US queen, which makes them more comfortable than a typical land-based queen. 

1 hour ago, jag82177 said:

We are sailing in an Enchanted mini-suite soon and requested that our beds be configured as a queen. Given that a queen is essentially 2 twins pushed together, will the bed be closer in size to a king, or is it truly a queen? 

On X and Virgin, the queen configurations are a bit bigger than a standard US queen, which makes them more comfortable than a typical land-based queen. 

It is literally 2 twins pushed together.  Its not as big as our king bed at home but was fine for us. 

By my own measure, the twins are 33” wide, making the Queen 66” wide.  Not quite a king, although I saw somewhere recently that that is what is considered a king in Europe.  Don’t know if that is true.  EM

The 'twins' on Princess aren't really twins at 36"x75", they're called 'small singles' at 30"x75".  When pushed together they are 60"x75" which is almost the size of a Queen which is actually 60"x80". 

Amazing how those dimensions are still fresh in my mind from selling mattresses for a major department store during college. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Tip if booking an Inside cabin. We no longer configure as Queen bed since you end up with more space when configured as two Singles.  Feels roomier and better flow.

We have been doing this for years.  For us it is more room and much easier moving around.

• Like 2

For those of us that has been with our significant other in a american king for many-many years and don’t spoon like we did when we were kids, the bed to us feels considerably smaller (just saying 🙂)

Edited by AZjohn
  • Like 1

Twin beds on cruise ships are 2.5 feet wide instead of the standard 3 feet wide. When latched together, they form a queen-size bed (5 ft. wide) rather than a king (6 ft. wide).

On our next cruise, the 4 of us are getting 4 balcony cabins so no one has to sleep on these narrow, uncomfortable "cots". 😠

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s it!  I’m packing my tape measure! 😂

Just ask your cabin steward to borrow his/her tape measure. It is specifically calibrated to show that the combined beds are "super king size"....

• Haha 1

It's definitely a little larger than a standard queen.  I always notice because I have a bit more elbow room when sailing vs when I'm sleeping in my queen bed at home. For a while it had me thinking my queen bed at home wasn't quite full size until I realized that no, the ship beds are just slightly larger.

On 5/23/2023 at 7:12 PM, SiliconCruiser said:

The 'twins' on Princess aren't really twins at 36"x75", they're called 'small singles' at 30"x75".  When pushed together they are 60"x75" which is almost the size of a Queen which is actually 60"x80". 

Amazing how those dimensions are still fresh in my mind from selling mattresses for a major department store during college. 

60x75 is an RV Queen.  I'm intimately familiar with this size as that is what I end up sleeping on for most of the rest of my vacations.  I always wondered why Princess' queen bed seemed a bit short.  Oh well, at least the beds have improved since my first cruise a number of years ago.  I've got to get a new mattress for the RV, it is much worse than what is on a cruise.

On 5/24/2023 at 7:03 AM, SCX22 said:

Maybe a schematic will help.  I wish we the staterooms were large enough for Alaska King beds on Alaskan sailings.

image.jpeg

My 6'4" husband would still take his 2/3 out of the middle of the Alaska King, leaving me with a full size baby crib space. 😆

• Haha 3