Help needed - Lost license while on cruise

I am currently onboard and cannot find my driver’s license.  Last time I remember seeing it was at the pier checking in.  Boarded with drivers license and birth certificate.  Returning to Bayonne tomorrow.  What will happen at customs? 

Guessing it must be the same sort of process as what would happen at the airport

Basically, you’ll need to go through an identity verification process with a TSA agent before you go through airport security. They’ll ask you a bunch of personal security questions like details about your address. Then, they’ll cross-check it with their database to ensure you are who you say you are. If you answer their questions correctly, you’ve got a better chance of getting on that plane. If they clear you to go on through, they’ll likely add a little note to your boarding pass to let the rest of the security agents know that you don’t have an ID but you’re good to go. 

Customs may not need any photo ids due to facial recognition. they use your boarding photo as the picture it uses to find you. Earlier this week i got off the oasis that also docks at Bayonne  and it uses the facial recognition system 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Customs may not need any photo ids due to facial recognition. they use your boarding photo as the picture it uses to find you. Earlier this week i got off the oasis that also docks at Bayonne  and it uses the facial recognition system 

I thought that was for Passport holders only.

• Like 7

Check all pockets in dirty laundry.  Check anything you may have kept check-in paperwork in. Check all bags you had with you when you checked in. Check with anyone you were with when you checked in in case you unknowingly gave your ID to another person to hold.

I'm confident this isn't the first time CBP will meet someone who lost their documents, passport, BC, DL, I94, etc.

I'm sure they have a process to deal with it.

I used to get hauled in secondary at CBP all the time because someone with my name had an outstanding warrant.  The folks in CBP secondary are decent folks who will calmly step through the process.  

It may slow you down but it will work out fine.  Enjoy the last night of your cruise.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, disneybabe said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  Luckily we drove to the port so I don’t have to worry about boarding a plane next.  I just need to get through customs in Bayonne when we get off the ship.

Why would you need your drivers license to go through customs ?

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

Why would you need your drivers license to go through customs ?

You need to show ID to exit the ship. 

If you sailed with a passport they use facial recognition.  If you sailed with a BC and drivers license you will need to show your drivers license

• Like 1

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

You need to show ID to exit the ship. 

If you sailed with a passport they use facial recognition.  If you sailed with a BC and drivers license you will need to show your drivers license

I have never been asked to show a Drivers License ,only a passport.

1 hour ago, disneybabe said:

Have checked with guest services daily and we have thoroughly searched the cabin.  I fear I am in for a rough day tomorrow.

I doubt it will take that much extra time.  I wouldn’t stress about it because it isn’t gonna change what happens.  

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Correct but did not state lost passport.

If they didn't bring a passport, they can't lose it.

Closed loop cruises do not require a passport.  Thousands of people board closed loop cruises without a passport (they use DL/BC).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Correct but did not state lost passport.

You don't seem to understand that they boarded with a DL and BC and lost the DL.  To leave the ship, they need both.  Pretty simple.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The OP said she or he could not find the DL ,not the passport.

Exactly.  I never said otherwise.  

They boarded with a BC and DL. This implies they didn’t bring a passport. If you don’t have a passport, a photo ID would be be required.  Maybe it won’t be asked for, but if it is, that is the whole point of the post.   You asked why they would need a DL.  The reason is because they don’t have an ID now (ie. they didn’t bring a passport and an ID and BC is technically needed).