Princess formal nights dress standard

Hi guys, I'll be travelling later this year with my sons-in-law and families. For formal nights I've told the sons-in-law that they'll be fine with a long sleeved shirt and tie as they don't own suits. One SIL for dressing up wears smart dark jeans and a smart dark shirt - would he be allowed into main dining room with jeans on formal night? Thanks šŸ›³ šŸ„³ šŸ§Ā 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Hi guys, I'll be travelling later this year with my sons-in-law and families. For formal nights I've told the sons-in-law that they'll be fine with a long sleeved shirt and tie as they don't own suits. One SIL for dressing up wears smart dark jeans and a smart dark shirt - would he be allowed into main dining room with jeans on formal night? Thanks šŸ›³ šŸ„³ šŸ§Ā 

If our cruise (Alaska) is anything to go by then definitely. Even on other cruises not everyone dressed formal so I would think it would be fine. Enjoy šŸ„°

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

It would most likely depend on the ship.

For example Cunard normally has a more formal approach with compulsory jacket and tie in the MDR's.

However some people have advised they do relax this on Australian cruises.

P&O would definitely allow them in with slacks and shirt.

Princess would most likely accept slacks, shirt and tie on formal nights these days.

Don't know for other lines as I have not cruised with them.

Ā 

Regards

Ā 

PS: yes I know you mentioned Princes but thought a broader answer would be helpful to others as well.

Edited by Ozwoody

Thanks @arxcardsĀ and @Ozwoody, very helpful. It's a 7 night Queensland coast cruise on Coral Princess. They're happy to go out and buy trousers but I don't want them to spend money on something that would be worn once in a blue moon, so thank you. I suspected they would be okay as I've raised my eyebrows over some of the clothes I've seen in the main dining room.

Ā 

On another topic, and I realise many on here are Elite so may not know, during the trip one family plan to do a couple of loads of washing in the public laundry - does anyone know when generally the less peak times would be (other than the middle of the night)? I'm guessing it's busy early morning and evening, but that's just a guess šŸ‘— šŸ‘– šŸ‘šĀ 

Ā 

29 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Thanks @arxcardsĀ and @Ozwoody, very helpful. It's a 7 night Queensland coast cruise on Coral Princess. They're happy to go out and buy trousers but I don't want them to spend money on something that would be worn once in a blue moon, so thank you. I suspected they would be okay as I've raised my eyebrows over some of the clothes I've seen in the main dining room.

Ā 

On another topic, and I realise many on here are Elite so may not know, during the trip one family plan to do a couple of loads of washing in the public laundry - does anyone know when generally the less peak times would be (other than the middle of the night)? I'm guessing it's busy early morning and evening, but that's just a guess šŸ‘— šŸ‘– šŸ‘šĀ 

Ā 

Out of consideration to nearby cabins, the self-serve laundries are closed overnight. I think the hours are 8am till 9pm. There are times when laundries are closed because of environmental laws, and I have a feeling @Aus TravellerĀ would know if this is restricted while you are up inside the reef (from Airlie Beach till Willis Island).

Ā 

Way back when, my wife found that 1st thing in the morning any day or around lunch time on a port day was the easiest time to wash.

Edited by arxcards

31 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Ā 

Ā 

On our past couple of Princess cruises, my husband has worn navy chinos to formal night with a shirt and tie. We usually do our laundry while the first dinner rush is on as we go to late dinner or on port days, if we are back onboard early we may do a load then.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jean C said:

I don't even think the tie will be compulsory, although it would be a good idea to bring one, just in case.
I think as long as the pants are long, clean, in reasonable repair and the shirt lookes presentable, they will be fine.

On my last Princess cruise, I found the only thing they were iffy about with men was no shorts. Open necked shirts seemed fine.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Thanks @arxcardsĀ and @possum52 šŸ‘ The only long trousers SIL owns are jeans, trackpants and outdoorsy lightweight Kathmandu long trousers that have zip off legs to turn them into shorts [sigh] šŸ™

My husband has a pair of those pants/shorts and gets lots of wear out of them. I think they may need to be replaced.Ā šŸ˜€Ā  I'm sure your SIL's jeans will be fine.Ā 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

Ā 

Ā 

I used to find that first thing in the morning was a good time, and often just after lunch as most people were enjoying sitting around the pool then.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, possum52 said:

My husband has a pair of those pants/shorts and gets lots of wear out of them. I think they may need to be replaced.Ā šŸ˜€Ā  I'm sure your SIL's jeans will be fine.Ā 

I wish I could still get those pants/shorts. They were so useful when travelling and the fabric dried quickly if it got wet. Sadly they aren't available in plus sizes for women.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the good reassurance šŸ‘ His good charcoal jeans it will be then, and good to hear that tie not compulsory either. SIL is a builder so doesn't dress up much, although I have to say that when they go out and I babysit, he scrubs up well and looks smart in his best gear, so we should be okay.Ā  Thanks so much šŸ„°

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wish I could still get those pants/shorts. They were so useful when travelling and the fabric dried quickly if it got wet. Sadly they aren't available in plus sizes for women.

Have you tried Rivers?

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

Thanks @arxcardsĀ and @possum52 šŸ‘ The only long trousers SIL owns are jeans, trackpants and outdoorsy lightweight Kathmandu long trousers that have zip off legs to turn them into shorts [sigh] šŸ™

If the Kathmandu's are reasonably smart they maybe ok, I have seen a couple of guys wearing cargo pants that were quite flat and reasonable presentable, nobody said anything to them.šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

2 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

If the Kathmandu's are reasonably smart they maybe ok, I have seen a couple of guys wearing cargo pants that were quite flat and reasonable presentable, nobody said anything to them.šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Thanks, they're tidy too šŸ‘

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

We usually do our laundry while the first dinner rush is on as we go to late dinner or on port days, if we are back onboard early we may do a load then.

Sorry, another question - do you know the current costs for using washing machine and then dryer? Also, are costs charged to cruise folio, or will they need coins? Thanks šŸ˜Š

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Anaconda has plus size zip off pants Julie.

I was on Coral Princess last September, skipped first formal, went to second one, I wore black jeans and a black long sleeved shirt, no tie. Quite acceptable.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the good reassurance šŸ‘ His good charcoal jeans it will be then, and good to hear that tie not compulsory either. SIL is a builder so doesn't dress up much, although I have to say that when they go out and I babysit, he scrubs up well and looks smart in his best gear, so we should be okay.Ā  Thanks so much šŸ„°

I have never worn a coat or tie in MDR on so called "gala" night or any other night. On one HAL cruise IĀ  was loaned a coat by the maitre'd but didn't have to wear it, just hung it on the back of my chair. I usually wear a pair of slacks or clean non holey jeans and a collared shirt, even Hawai'ian sometimes.

I was pulled up once going into a HAL MDR wearing shorts, t-shirt and thongs but I explained that I was only going in to let my travelling companions know that I had returned to the ship.

Sorry, another question - do you know the current costs for using washing machine and then dryer? Also, are costs charged to cruise folio, or will they need coins? Thanks šŸ˜Š

Been awhile since I've used the laundromat, been elite since 2014.

But up until 2020 use to be 2 x $2 coins for wash, think it was 1 $2 coin for dryer.

You could get change from the service desk if you ran out or forgot to take some with you.

They also charge you for washing powder, but just take your powder with you, and a small plastic container for a load quantity, to take for each wash.

Ā 

• Thanks 1

I believe it's gone up to $4 wash, $4 dry now. I'm not sure about the cost of laundry powder though - maybe $2. The machines use tokens which you get from a vending macine using your medallion and the cost is charged to your onboard account.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I believe it's gone up to $4 wash, $4 dry now. I'm not sure about the cost of laundry powder though - maybe $2. The machines use tokens which you get from a vending macine using your medallion and the cost is charged to your onboard account.

Not sure if this has been corrected now. You used to be able to order laundry powder to your cabin via the app N/C, but $2 or $3 via the dispenser in the laundry.