Another menu item deleted?

phoenix_dream

11 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Another unknown, if you request it on a night its not offered, is there a good chance you'll get it (rhetorical)?

Probably no. The two desserts are almost certainly frozen and require time to thaw. Probably 8 hours or more (the provider will have a protocol). You’re only going to pull it out when it’s on the menu. 

Which by the way is the reality of the food waste thing. Once they thaw it, they’ll have a set time to serve or discard. I assume the pie is hot with cold ice cream. They can heat that from frozen to order. No waste. And a sustainable initiative that doesn’t make business sense rarely survives. Wasted food is lost money as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Friend aboard the Beyond spoke to a M'D who unfortunately confirmed this rumor is true.  In a kick ya while you're down with "greenwashing", they cited the reason was to "eliminate food waste".  Disingenuous response as these cakes are refrigerated, there are so many other more effective things they can do if they truly cared about food waste

I just don't buy the eliminating waste thing. They have years of data to enable them to buy just the amount they need. Some of these cut backs just make no sense to me and this is one of them. I could believe a change in suppliers or similar.  But waste? No, not with years of consumption data.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I just don't buy the eliminating waste thing. They have years of data to enable them to buy just the amount they need. Some of these cut backs just make no sense to me and this is one of them. I could believe a change in suppliers or similar.  But waste? No, not with years of consumption data.

Totally agree.  Such a random time to do this, makes you wonder what's next on the chopping block

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, markeb said:

Ordered the pie a few times and each time hoping it comes out warm but it has always been cold with little filling.  
Probably no. The two desserts are almost certainly frozen and require time to thaw. Probably 8 hours or more (the provider will have a protocol). You’re only going to pull it out when it’s on the menu. 

Which by the way is the reality of the food waste thing. Once they thaw it, they’ll have a set time to serve or discard. I assume the pie is hot with cold ice cream. They can heat that from frozen to order. No waste. And a sustainable initiative that doesn’t make business sense rarely survives. Wasted food is lost money as well.

3 minutes ago, CunucuMom said:

Dark Chocolate Ganache Cake and Cheesecake show on the current EQ room service menu on the app 🤔.  Anyone try ordering it from RS recently?

On the Summit sailing in August, neither cake appear in the MDR classics desserts but both do appear in room service

That does seem a bit crazy that those are the items they removed. The only desserts that I will never eat are chocolate cake, carrot cake, and cheesecake... Just not fans. When we got out to eat there are rarely any other items on the dessert menu. Maybe ice cream. But chocolate cake and cheesecake do seem to be dessert staples. On a personal note, I would be quite happy with the apple pie or the creme Brule so I'm not upset about this change. 

There are a few of us here on CC that understand "upset" over removal of favourite desserts from the menu, yet for those of us who cannot have dairy, gluten or other such we wish that something that would be of benefit to us would replace those items... 

As currently, there are next to no options...

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

There are a few of us here on CC that understand "upset" over removal of favourite desserts from the menu, yet for those of us who cannot have dairy, gluten or other such we wish that something that would be of benefit to us would replace those items... 

As currently, there are next to no options...

Have you tried asking for a different dessert onboard? I've read reports of chefs making special desserts for these situations.  Probably more luck with that if in a suite, the higher level the better.

4 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Have you tried asking for a different dessert onboard? I've read reports of chefs making special desserts for these situations.  Probably more luck with that if in a suite, the higher level the better.

IME - there has been only three (3) Pastry Chef's in the fleet who would even attempt doing vegan pastries and desserts on a daily basis, the others would be a flat out no and only provide fruit or sorbet...

But, no worries those Chef's who would provide desserts really complimented my meals... on one sailing the PC sent pastries daily to Al Bacio for me and that was a treat until the general public found out about it and got them before I did... LOL

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CunucuMom said:

Dark Chocolate Ganache Cake and Cheesecake show on the current EQ room service menu on the app 🤔.  Anyone try ordering it from RS recently?

So for $11.74 you can get it via RS, but not for free in the MRD.  

I find it odd that it's removed from the main dining room, but still on the room service menu. As a chef myself, if you are stating "cutting food wastage" as the reason, you have a better chance of cutting wastage by having the product available in multiple areas, vs just one (assuming it is all located in one central kitchen). They would have ample data to show what they sell on average per day, and should have good control over what they require, alongside this, the lifespan after defrosting (if defrosted correctly in the fridge) would be a minimum 3 days.

Or possibly room service has become so quiet after the additional service fee, that they can get away with only having several portions defrosted a day. 

6 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

6 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

Go to Cafe Bacio where there are plenty of chocolate type cakes for FREE.

On 5/27/2023 at 10:28 PM, phoenix_dream said:

Someone on another online forum has posted that chocolate cake and cheesecake are being eliminated from the Classics menu.  Please say it ain’t so!  Has anyone else heard of this?   With all the (to my taste) weird desserts on dining room menus DH and I often order chocolate cake as our dessert go-to. Our other favorite is crème brûlée. They take that away and it’s time to jump ship. Ok I’m kidding about that. Then again, maybe I’m not!

We were on the Equinox recently & they definitely had Cheesecake & chocolate cake on the menu every night.  

2 minutes ago, curtsfan said:

We were on the Equinox recently & they definitely had Cheesecake & chocolate cake on the menu every night.  

It's been confirmed by multiple sources that it will be moved from the every night Classic dessert section to rotational dessert section.  If it remains on the room service menu (some guess it will be removed) perhaps you can get it in the MDR by requesting it

I learned from a neighboring table at Blu that if there's a dish you like that night you can ask that they hold one for you so you can have it at dinner tomorrow.  Otherwise, every other "off menu" dish Blu/MDR request I have made (I have asked for a filet, prime rib or ribeye on a night its not on the menu) has been denied, this includes requesting an off menu steak a day or two in advance...lol

9 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It's been confirmed by multiple sources that it will be moved from the every night Classic dessert section to rotational dessert section.  If it remains on the room service menu (some guess it will be removed) perhaps you can get it in the MDR by requesting it

I learned from a neighboring table at Blu that if there's a dish you like that night you can ask that they hold one for you so you can have it at dinner tomorrow.  Otherwise, every other "off menu" dish Blu/MDR request I have made (I have asked for a filet, prime rib or ribeye on a night its not on the menu) has been denied, this includes requesting an off menu steak a day or two in advance...lol

Wow!  Things certainly have changed.  We are in Aqua Class on the Equinox this August.  I’m hoping that they still allow us to order off the MDR menu if we do t line what’s in their menu. We were on the Equinox recently & cheesecake & chocolate cake was offered every night.  And on the X app it shows them being offered in August.  But I am not surprised because things are always being removed😀

3 hours ago, curtsfan said:

Wow!  Things certainly have changed.  We are in Aqua Class on the Equinox this August.  I’m hoping that they still allow us to order off the MDR menu if we do t line what’s in their menu. We were on the Equinox recently & cheesecake & chocolate cake was offered every night.  And on the X app it shows them being offered in August.  But I am not surprised because things are always being removed😀

They did allow you order off the MDR (on the beyond it was the classics only, not the rotational) yet I was trying to get any kind of steak other than the classic sirloin on a night it wasn't on the MDR menu...Was told no, on multiple occasions every time

Who knows, maybe you can still request and receive the desserts

On 5/30/2023 at 8:40 PM, sanger727 said:

That does seem a bit crazy that those are the items they removed. The only desserts that I will never eat are chocolate cake, carrot cake, and cheesecake... Just not fans. When we got out to eat there are rarely any other items on the dessert menu. Maybe ice cream. But chocolate cake and cheesecake do seem to be dessert staples. On a personal note, I would be quite happy with the apple pie or the creme Brule so I'm not upset about this change. 

I am the same, in 15 Celebrity cruises I have never ordered the chocolate cake or the cheesecake. Not that I don’t eat desserts, just that there is always something I like better

On 5/28/2023 at 9:30 AM, Alakegirl said:

No it’s not odd because they are two different companies.

But RCL owns X, so one would expect Maine Lobster on X with the upcharge if it's parent is doing that.

11 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

But RCL owns X, so one would expect Maine Lobster on X with the upcharge if it's parent is doing that.

Royal Caribbean Group, the parent company of X, does not serve Maine Lobster. They are a holding company that also owns Royal Caribbean International and Silver Sea. 

Royal Caribbean International serves Maine Lobster but does not own X. They are separate companies with different management teams. 

23 hours ago, xxpinksaltxx said:

I find it odd that it's removed from the main dining room, but still on the room service menu. As a chef myself, if you are stating "cutting food wastage" as the reason, you have a better chance of cutting wastage by having the product available in multiple areas, vs just one (assuming it is all located in one central kitchen). They would have ample data to show what they sell on average per day, and should have good control over what they require, alongside this, the lifespan after defrosting (if defrosted correctly in the fridge) would be a minimum 3 days.

Or possibly room service has become so quiet after the additional service fee, that they can get away with only having several portions defrosted a day. 

A little shipboard trivia - room service has a separate kitchen. Never knew that until my first cruise after cruising resumed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Royal Caribbean Group, the parent company of X, does not serve Maine Lobster. They are a holding company that also owns Royal Caribbean International and Silver Sea. 

Royal Caribbean International serves Maine Lobster but does not own X. They are separate companies with different management teams. 

I misspoke.  "Royal Caribbean Group is the owner and operator of Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Silverseas."  Thanks for the correction, but that doesn't change my opinion.

29 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

Actually, I believe that RCL makes it a policy for each line under its' wing have different policies on a wide array of things... 

This makes them stand out from each other...

bon voyage