Another menu item deleted?

phoenix_dream

12 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Someone on another online forum has posted that chocolate cake and cheesecake are being eliminated from the Classics menu.  Please say it ain’t so!  Has anyone else heard of this?   With all the (to my taste) weird desserts on dining room menus DH and I often order chocolate cake as our dessert go-to. Our other favorite is crème brûlée. They take that away and it’s time to jump ship. Ok I’m kidding about that. Then again, maybe I’m not!

Hopefully it's only rumor. We like the cheesecakes and the chocolate cakes. Our go to desserts. Also Celebrity better not even consider eliminating the vanilla ice cream.🤬

59 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

I just checked the main dining menu for our June 16 Solstice cruise.  Maybe they’ll disappear next week, but both items are still listed.

Don't trust the app either. Consistently inconsistent. Subject to change without notice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, retird said:

Which ship was the reputable person on and which sailing.  And did they report that it was not available or that it would not be available in the future?  You say they are experiencing it.  So does that mean they experiencing the current unavailability of it on their cruise or are they experiencing the rumour?

I'm not sure which ship, but they posted a picture of the revised menu. The fact that a printed menu was created leads me to believe that this is likely fleetwide and likely not temporary but those thoughts are speculation.  The fact that it's currently changed on their ship is not a rumor.

• Like 3

Not a rumor 😞 I was on the Millennium last week (5/19-5/26). The dessert menus were changed and listed only two 'classics' - Apple Pie and Creme Brulee. They offered Cheesecake one night and Chocolate Cake another, but otherwise they were off the menu.

I asked for Cheesecake one 'off' night and they brought it for me, but YMMV in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

I had the kids filet in the MDR on the Summit and in Luminae earlier this month. 

I have found all the cakes I have tried on X to be just ok for which I am thankful.  I just skip dessert!

Not worth the calories however the Eden cake (lunch hours) is surprisingly good...I was excited for the Eden's cookies as I wrongly assuming they were using the same recipe as 2021 so my cookie disappointment was surprised to discover the cake was one of the best things I've ate on that sailing.  Also on that sailing someone told me the buffet cupcakes were much better than usual cake so I tried cupcakes and slices of (buffet) cake, a vanilla and a chocolate of each...Unfortunately, I contributed to food waste as after one bite of each it was clear, the cake and cupcake recipes are the same and there isn't even huge difference between their chocolate and vanilla...Perhaps it's the same recipe and they throw in some cocoa or something

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

We are just off Summit and the deserts were still on the menu, BUT LOTS of other mains are gone!!.  No more Rack of Lamb, and a few others.  The Rack stood out in our minds and quite a few of the new menu items were poor at best.  Overall the dinning experience was still wonderful, but the new menu items left a lot to be desired in our opinion.  AND, the Souffle is NO LONGER on the Menu for Chic night

Much cost cutting on the food side most likely due to post Covid return.  Even the buffet was not what it use to be.  Fajitas everyday without rotation to something different, the carving station "ran out" turkey an hour before closing, etc.  Still had a good time and like X, but we miss the superior mains that use to be in the dinning room, and the change in variety of foods in the buffet.

Again, our opinion as food is very subjective

Just off your cruise. I will reconfirm no Rack of Lamb and the turkey did run out. I missed it! 

So those who question everything,  you can believe this poster.  Bring the Rack back....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really sad as the dinning room and buffet were always steps above Royal and now menues in both areas are being dumbed down as cosy saving measures.  For the new higher rates that X is charging, I have to believe that the cuts are more about making more money that caring what their loyal customers have come to expect from X.  I am a share holder, so them making money is good, but overall, I think it will effect peoples attitude about X being a step above.  Hope X reads the boards as sees that more andmore people are not happy with all the reductions

• Like 2

I woud find that hard to believe as those are more or less your "go to" volume desserts with minimal prep time.  I'm in the hotel business and I would be shocked if they cook cheesecakes on board.  You load in 50 cases from Sara Lee and move on.  One day, you put strawberrys on it, the next day blueberries, and so on.  From a cost standoint, I would drop creme brulee before I dropped cheesecake, because creme  brulee requires a bit of prep for each portion.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, jbcallender said:

I woud find that hard to believe as those are more or less your "go to" volume desserts with minimal prep time.  I'm in the hotel business and I would be shocked if they cook cheesecakes on board.  You load in 50 cases from Sara Lee and move on.  One day, you put strawberrys on it, the next day blueberries, and so on.  From a cost standoint, I would drop creme brulee before I dropped cheesecake, because creme  brulee requires a bit of prep for each portion.

Exactly the whole thing seems so bizarre. Chocolate cake and cheesecake? These are both staples in the dessert game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arealcheapskate said:

Exactly the whole thing seems so bizarre. Chocolate cake and cheesecake? These are both staples in the dessert game. 

Not only are they staples, you could also say they are (or were) Classics.  😀

Edited by cruiserchuck

11 hours ago, jbcallender said:

I do wonder if this is just an issue with the supplier.  As I posted earlier I was on Constellation last week and the Chocolate Cake was different than the consistent product (commercial kitchen) I've been served over the last many years.  It was no where near as good.

• Like 2

So sad if the Dulche de Leche chocolate cake is off the menu.  It’s my favorite!  On  our first cruise back after CV, I lamented to our waiter in Luminae how much I would miss that cake when we went home. I joked that I could eat it for breakfast.  On the last morning he brought me the chocolate cake w/ice cream and a side of bacon 💕 Eliminating chocolate cake seems a bit drastic to me.

B65511FE-B74D-40DC-9FB9-317ACAAA83A1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I do wonder if this is just an issue with the supplier.  As I posted earlier I was on Constellation last week and the Chocolate Cake was different than the consistent product (commercial kitchen) I've been served over the last many years.  It was no where near as good.

That would seem the most likely. I'd assume a lot of those products are custom made onshore by a supplier to Celebrity's specs. They're not just pick list items from Sysco. So if they've lost a supplier, or the supplier(s) are having issues it would impact the shipboard product. Might or might not be cost.

Stuff like that happens in the food service industry.

• Like 1

Friend aboard the Beyond spoke to a M'D who unfortunately confirmed this rumor is true.  In a kick ya while you're down with "greenwashing", they cited the reason was to "eliminate food waste".  Disingenuous response as these cakes are refrigerated, there are so many other more effective things they can do if they truly cared about food waste

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Friend aboard the Beyond spoke to a M'D who unfortunately confirmed this rumor is true.  In a kick ya while you're down with "greenwashing", they cited the reason was to "eliminate food waste".  Disingenuous response as these cakes are refrigerated, there are so many other more effective things they can do if they truly cared about food waste

Food waste is code for $$$$.  Pure and simple. 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Food waste is code for $$$$.  Pure and simple. 

Yup and my WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is its corporate, not the individuals, who are peddling this non-sense.  During a recent Beyond Senior(?) Officer event in the Eden, someone was inquiring the purpose of IVs, the Officer stated there's a 20% fuel savings and the "fact" that only 27% of X staterooms ever open their traditional balcony doors on a sailing.  That was followed up by something like "how did you obtain the balcony data for this, are there sensors in the sliding doors?", officer responded now looking defeated "no sensors, that's just what corporates tells us".  I've personally been on X sailings for 113 nights since the restart, exclusively in a balcony room (regular-AQ), I have never received a survey asking if I opened my balcony door

• Like 1

Hopefully between now and our October Eclipse cruise Celebrity will have reconsidered and brought back the classics, Hopefully those cruising will voice their displeasure either directly while on the ship and thru their PCS. We will if the classics are still MIA. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Hopefully between now and our October Eclipse cruise Celebrity will have reconsidered and brought back the classics, Hopefully those cruising will voice their displeasure either directly while on the ship and thru their PCS. We will if the classics are still MIA. 

I hope so too. Our next couple X sailings are in a suite but the drum beat of cutbacks can be heard, and eventually felt, everywhere on the ship. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

Just now, mac_tlc said:

I hope so too. Our next couple X sailings are in a suite but the drum beat of cutbacks can be heard, and eventually felt, everywhere on the ship. 

mac_tlc

We'll wait until we are on the ship and after the cruise before making any decisions. Our March Apex cruise was great. 😍🍷