Another menu item deleted?

phoenix_dream

Someone on another online forum has posted that chocolate cake and cheesecake are being eliminated from the Classics menu.  Please say it ain’t so!  Has anyone else heard of this?   With all the (to my taste) weird desserts on dining room menus DH and I often order chocolate cake as our dessert go-to. Our other favorite is crème brûlée. They take that away and it’s time to jump ship. Ok I’m kidding about that. Then again, maybe I’m not!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Cheesecake was definitely on the menu our entire cruise that ended this past Sunday on the Eclipse. I’m pretty sure chocolate cake was there as well. 

This person stated that the change was happening as of tomorrow I believe. Wondering if anyone onboard now is hearing similar?

I sail on the Edge in 6 days. Just checked the MDR menus on the app, which I'm hoping are up to date this close to sailing, and they do not contain either chocolate cake or cheesecake. I assume they would both be under classic desserts? Options listed for classics are: sorbet, low fat frozen yoghurt, ice cream, apple pie a la mode, and creme brulee. Under signature desserts, there's a chocolate lava cake on day 3 and a New York cheesecake on day 7.

One can always ask for either of those desserts each day if they do not appear on the menu and one evening you may be surprized that it magically appears....

So not to fret if not on the menu....

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crumbled said:

I sail on the Edge in 6 days. Just checked the MDR menus on the app, which I'm hoping are up to date this close to sailing, and they do not contain either chocolate cake or cheesecake. I assume they would both be under classic desserts? Options listed for classics are: sorbet, low fat frozen yoghurt, ice cream, apple pie a la mode, and creme brulee. Under signature desserts, there's a chocolate lava cake on day 3 and a New York cheesecake on day 7.

The app wasn't accurate even while we were on our cruise last week, I would not trust it.

10 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

This person stated that the change was happening as of tomorrow I believe. Wondering if anyone onboard now is hearing similar?

Where did this person hear it from?

Last week on Liberty of the Seas a lady at an adjacent table requested cheesecake off menu nightly.

Seems odd it would be no issue on Royal yet cut out on Celebrity.

Hoping the cuts slow down soon as revenues climb back.

52 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

One can always ask for either of those desserts each day if they do not appear on the menu and one evening you may be surprized that it magically appears....

Just trying to manage expectations, this no longer seems to be the case unless perhaps if you're a suite guest.  Recently off the beyond and when in blu, on a night they had filet mignon, I asked if they could hold one for me for dinner tomorrow and was told "no".  lol

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Last week on Liberty of the Seas a lady at an adjacent table requested cheesecake off menu nightly.

With the additional lobster tail fee, RCI and Carnival were first to charge the $16.95 fee but both lines upgraded their tails from Spiny to Maine.  X copied the same fee but kept the "inferior" Spiny tail; when it comes to lobster you're better off sailing on Carnival

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

No it’s not odd because they are two different companies.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Crumbled said:

Ditto on my sailings, not a good sign...At least for once, X's marketing is spot on...

image.thumb.png.396e50f29465690171b4e2ff90847b49.png

• Haha 8

Just off 38 days on Constellation on Thursday.  I had the Chocolate cake twice including the last night.  It was different than it has been over the last several years.  Since this cake has been so consistent every time I've ordered it over 10's of sailings I suspect it is not made onboard and comes from a commercial kitchen.  Friends who remain onboard Constellation reported that it was not on the menu this sailing.  We had been discussing the whole Chocolate cake issue last week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, prmssk said:

The app wasn't accurate even while we were on our cruise last week, I would not trust it.

Where did this person hear it from?

they were onboard (don't recall which ship) and were told that the menu was changing, I believe the next day but don't quote me on that

16 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Just trying to manage expectations, this no longer seems to be the case unless perhaps if you're a suite guest.  Recently off the beyond and when in blu, on a night they had filet mignon, I asked if they could hold one for me for dinner tomorrow and was told "no".  lol

Agree.  It really all seems to depend on the waiter and maître d on a particular ship.

21 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

What I don't get is why cut these?!?  They are no more expensive than the other offerings, or at least one would think not.  I get the lobster thing (although I think the extra charge for more than one is way higher than it should be), as lobster is expensive, but chocolate cake is not!

Just now, retird said:

And this is how rumours start.

I don't consider a report from someone onboard and actually experiencing something to be a rumor. This was a reputable person with a long history of knowledgable interaction.  The only real question is whether it was only that ship, or whether it is fleetwide, or perhaps temporary.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Agree.  It really all seems to depend on the waiter and maître d on a particular ship.

Come to think it there was a bit more which is coincidently related to this post.  Before the filet was offered on Blu (it's usually offered twice on a typical 7 night sailing), I asked for the kids filet and was told it's no longer on the Beyond and is being phased out fleet wide, they replaced it with short rib...So sounds another item deleted

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

4 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't consider a report from someone onboard and actually experiencing something to be a rumor. This was a reputable person with a long history of knowledgable interaction.  The only real question is whether it was only that ship, or whether it is fleetwide, or perhaps temporary.

Which ship was the reputable person on and which sailing.  And did they report that it was not available or that it would not be available in the future?  You say they are experiencing it.  So does that mean they experiencing the current unavailability of it on their cruise or are they experiencing the rumour?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I thought you said they just heard that it would be discontinued but had not experienced it yet.  No matter how reputable this person is doesn't mean what they heard actually is accurate.

15 minutes ago, retird said:

Which ship was the reputable person on and which sailing.  And did they report that it was not available or that it would not be available in the future?  You say they are experiencing it.  So does that mean they experiencing the current unavailability of it on their cruise or are they experiencing the rumour?

9 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

People will believe anything…

Creating a thread like this is one of the best ways to obtain data points to determine if this is indeed a rumor from those who are on board as most of us are not on board right now

The OP was very forthcoming, they did NOT say something like "someone told me on the internet so its officially gone!"  In the title, they even had a "?" and additionally in the body of the post they said "say it ain't so"

• Like 5

We are just off Summit and the deserts were still on the menu, BUT LOTS of other mains are gone!!.  No more Rack of Lamb, and a few others.  The Rack stood out in our minds and quite a few of the new menu items were poor at best.  Overall the dinning experience was still wonderful, but the new menu items left a lot to be desired in our opinion.  AND, the Souffle is NO LONGER on the Menu for Chic night

Much cost cutting on the food side most likely due to post Covid return.  Even the buffet was not what it use to be.  Fajitas everyday without rotation to something different, the carving station "ran out" turkey an hour before closing, etc.  Still had a good time and like X, but we miss the superior mains that use to be in the dinning room, and the change in variety of foods in the buffet.

Again, our opinion as food is very subjective

Edited by CulverCityCruisers
add

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

" one can always ask " ------ Absolutely !!

Example:

On our recent cruise ( March ) on the Edge the Maitre'd in the Normandie Dining Room came by our table ( for 2 ) every night and asked if there was " anything " we might like other than what was on the menu. One night we requested, if possible , chichen schnitzel at some time during the cruise ---- He served it to us the next night.

Overall, we found the service and food ( choices and taste ) on the Edge exceptionally good.

Bye the way, the Normandie dining room's Beef Tenderloin was superb-- ( on occasion 2 servings " hit the spot " ) , followed by crème brulé for desert.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Come to think it there was a bit more which is coincidently related to this post.  Before the filet was offered on Blu (it's usually offered twice on a typical 7 night sailing), I asked for the kids filet and was told it's no longer on the Beyond and is being phased out fleet wide, they replaced it with short rib...So sounds another item deleted

I had the kids filet in the MDR on the Summit and in Luminae earlier this month. 

I have found all the cakes I have tried on X to be just ok for which I am thankful.  I just skip dessert!

• Thanks 1