Are scopolamine patches or other non-drowsy anti-motion sickness meds available on ship?

newbie202020

Hi, I'm from Canada and scopolamine patches are discontinued in Canada. Can I get these patches on the Eclipse going to Alaska and if so, where? Are there other non-drowsy motion sickness meds available on the ship? I don't want to resort to taking Gravol, which makes me drowsy. Thanks

I was on Apex a couple weeks ago and they had both Marezine and Bonine in the apothacary section of the Liquor and Cigarette Duty free. 

My SIL is susceptible to motion sickness.    We had a day of heavy seas and I had her take two Marezine the night before bedtime on  the night before the expected high seas and on in the morning.   The first dose did make her drowsy and she said she slept well.  No drowsiness with the next dose and she had no sea sickness at all.

The most important thing is to take whatever med you decide before getting sea sick.   There are also a number of web based doctor visits even with then New Amazon health subscription that you could have a video appointment and have them call in the prescription to a drug store near you ships departure point (assuming it is in the U.S.).

Scopolamine patches in the US are by prescription so would have to go to Doctors ON CAll type pre cruise to try to pickup in the US.  

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, newbie202020 said:

Hi, I'm from Canada and scopolamine patches are discontinued in Canada. Can I get these patches on the Eclipse going to Alaska and if so, where? Are there other non-drowsy motion sickness meds available on the ship? I don't want to resort to taking Gravol, which makes me drowsy. Thanks

Like others have said relying on what is on board is hit and miss.

I suggest that either you discuss non-drowsy options available in Canada with your local pharmacy or look for the patches on line outside of Canada…

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, if you live in Canada and are sailing out of Vancouver, you won't be able to buy Meclizine (Bonine) unless you can make a run across the border before your cruise. It is usually available on board. Ask at Guest Services. And at your first port stop, head to the nearest pharmacy and stock up. It seems to work best when taken prophylactically every night at bedtime. This also minimizes drowsiness problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newbie202020 said:

Can you take Dimenhydrinate?  I know it's available in Canada and is said to be more effective.  

Edited - Dramamine.

Edited by jean87510
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, newbie202020 said:

Hi, Gravol is Dramamine/Dimenhydrinate and is available in Canada but makes me drowsy.

Gotcha.  I actually had asked my daughter who works in pharmacy after I posted about Gravol and she said Canada calls dimenhydrinate Gravol and USA we call it Dramamine.  Apologies for the mix up.  

If you are unsuccessful, the ship motion is not like a transatlantic crossing or other areas of departure.  I don't know which sailing you are doing but if from Vancouver or Seward, it's really calm.  I know Seattle can be rocky.  I agree with other posters to just try once you get to a US port stop.

• Thanks 1

I have been using Bonine for years. It always contained meclizine as it’s active ingredient, although recently I bought some and the the active ingredient was changed to diphenhydramine which is the active ingredient in Benadryl.  So, make sure to read the fine print. Also meclizine tablets are available on Amazon much cheaper than Bonine. 

• Thanks 1

I'm in Canada and used to use the patch but quit after having a few incidents where I didn't feel like myself. l I get extremely seasick and can't even stand on a dock in a calm lake without feeling sick. 

Here are my two options:

• HALF of a Bonine/meclizine before bed. This helps to sleep, but I don't feel tired during the day - or after having a drink. One consideration: when riding on a bus or small boat, I get very sleepy. I think that's  how the medication works. I always fall asleep on bus rides but wake right up when the motion stops.
  • Better option if you want to avoid drugs - acupuncture. I have had treatments on ships but now have one here in Calgary the day before we sail. The ship's acupuncturists are very expensive but if that's your only option I would say to try it. I now use acupuncture exclusively and can go on small boat fishing excursions and feel absolutely FINE. 
  • Sidebar to acupuncture. If the seas are really rough (like over 15 feet) and I start to feel unwell, I might take half a Bonine to get me through.

Other trick - keep food in your stomach. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RosieRoo said:

I have been using Bonine for years. It always contained meclizine as it’s active ingredient, although recently I bought some and the the active ingredient was changed to diphenhydramine which is the active ingredient in Benadryl.  So, make sure to read the fine print. Also meclizine tablets are available on Amazon much cheaper than Bonine. 

From what I've read, Amazon will not ship meclizine to Canada. 

• Thanks 1

I asked my doctor about the patch back when it was available in Canada.  He described some side effects, which are rare, but require prompt hospitalization.  I decided not to take it.  Having a bunch of other GI issues can make side effects more likely.

And remember the advice of Satchel Paige: "If your stomach disputes you, lie down and pacify it with cool thoughts."

I did bring the patches with me this past Summit cruise from Bayonne, going to Newport, Martha’s Vineyard, Charleston and Bermuda but did not need thank goodness. Prior Anthem cruises to Bermuda were in the middle of hurricanes or tropical storms., so came prepared just in case, also brought Dramamine.  They did have Bonnie for sale in the shop on board, so bought for future use since many people prefer. I always wait until sick to take….

I would ask for the free meds at guest relations on the first day then buy them in port. They are meclizine. In the US there are generic brands, and also sold as Dramamine ||.  The Alaska seas are usually very calm with two potential exceptions. The first is for Seattle cruises heading around the bend to Canada, which doesn’t affect your cruise. The second is sailing across the gulf of Alaska towards Seward. On rare occasions you may encounter some mild movement elsewhere outside of the Inside Passage but it’s not common.

Be careful with scopolamine patches if you plan on reading or tend to have a dry mouth. Scopolamine made my mouth so dry, I couldn't dink enough to quench it. It is the anticholinergic effects. I read a lot on cruises and scopolamine causes the eyes to dilate and you cannot accommodate for near vision, so I could not read. There are many side effects that could be problematic. Meclizine is used more often than the patches. I have also found the Sea Bands work if used correctly. Most of the time I see people not wearing them correctly. I get terribly seasick the first day and any rough sea days without meclizine or the Sea Bands.

• Thanks 1