Silver Wind Live! Helsinki to Hamburg, June 4-16, 2023

jpalbny

Örö Island, continued.

We turned south and made haste to the lunch spot. We walked through more beautiful forest. 

20230606_114246.thumb.jpg.d67da2e801bffd25beecab3cb1cb81c0.jpg

Here and there, traces of the island's former history. Remains of a gun mount. 

20230606_114820.thumb.jpg.eeb47458d829689f18963d3a0c47b648.jpg

A military ship went by. Keeping an eye on us?

20230606_120037.thumb.jpg.d265bde58b3460bab9d484bd77892bd3.jpg

This building was constructed in the early 1900s during the Russian occupation era, as a soldier's hospital. The Finnish armed forces used it as an officer's quarters. The officer would keep tabs on who went by so the building was called "The Eye."

20230606_121607.thumb.jpg.3ff801c569195375d45646c7e3e516d2.jpg

The big gun means that we're almost back to our lunch stop!

20230606_122837.thumb.jpg.e8565c52bdeb2e7d190898569c235023.jpg

Lunch was rather small. A "tapas plate" with some nice items - salmon, lamb, potatoes, pickles, etc. Tasty bites. And a rhubarb crumble for dessert. 

After lunch we decided to tackle the southern half of the island. We had lots of time before the last zodiac at 17:00.

We set off through a  dense old forest with a carpet of reindeer moss. It's actually a lichen! Go figure. Reindeer eat it regardless of what we call it.

20230606_132546.thumb.jpg.e158591b03f2a4eb9b05b4eadd386aed.jpg

More obvious lichens also. Even covering some of the trees!

20230606_132607.thumb.jpg.5d2d4e91f6324aef2dddc58b7364e474.jpg

Another viewpoint, with another swan. We would have to circle this bay to get to the south part of the island. Onward. 

20230606_132905.thumb.jpg.b8dfa044f69c685d08378407b60e533e.jpg

I don't remember what this building was.

20230606_133123.thumb.jpg.69d541c3209cc03a6ed30eac22e92364.jpg

Around every corner, there seems to be a bunker of some sort. They're open to explore. And probably full of creepy crawlies too.

20230606_133424.thumb.jpg.b2780d1245acbe35c25d04de4af02d88.jpg

The red campion was less ubiquitous and harder to find. Maybe because it looks purple? 

20230606_133931.thumb.jpg.fd6dcf341e600c099f4eef9b5258a0ca.jpg

We finally circled the bay and turned south.

20230606_134332.thumb.jpg.a39923f4390803eef3578a4cc2d27a24.jpg

This is turning into a real expedition! 

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, LAexNY said:

The ship’s capacity is 274 and it is about half full - somewhere around 140.  Lots more crew and staff than passengers.  Lots of room to spread out.

Service should be excellent then.

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Örö Island, continued.

I don't remember what this building was.

20230606_133123.thumb.jpg.69d541c3209cc03a6ed30eac22e92364.jpg

Former "soldier's home", perhaps a mess would be an ok translation in English. A place where off duty soldiers can socilize and have something to eat (fresh doughnuts are traditionally top sellers in these). I think currently there is no activity in that building.

And Örö certainly has lots of signs of its military history, starting from the days when Grand Duchy of Finland was part of the Russian empire. I think one of the most fashinating signs of this history is that the main roads bear names Pitkä ikävä and Lyhyt ikävä, which translate as Long misery and Short misery, which you might understand if you have to walk (or march) these pebble stone roads for longer periods of time...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

June 6, 2023–Oro Island, Finland

We slept well with smooth seas until about 4:30 am when we were awakened by a combination of sunlight shining around the curtains even though we had both the curtains on the windows and the curtains between the sitting area and bedroom drawn and the distinct strong smell of cigarette smoke which lasted about 30 minutes.  I think we would have slept through the light, but no way with the smoke.  I haven’t encountered this on a ship in probably at least 15 years.  The other night we also smelled cigarette smoke in the main dining room at dinner.  We mentioned it to our waiter who just shrugged.  Anyway, the front desk has been notified this time, and they are investigating.

George went back to sleep, but I was thoroughly awake so got dressed and went up to the panorama lounge to drink tea and do some work.

Today we were at Oro Island which is located off the southwest tip of Finland.  This is a very militarily strategic area which the Russians first used to protect the entrance to the gulf of Finland from the Baltic Sea and thus protect St. Petersburg.  It was a military base for the Finnish Army until just recently and still has the capability of being reactivated as such should the need arise, but now is a habitat for all sorts of birds and butterflies.

There were multiple choices as far as activities.  You could do a nature walk, a bird walk, a bike tour, or a longer hike, all guided, or you could just explore on your own.  We chose the hike.  It was another lovely sunny day, with temperatures again around 50F but not much wind, perfect for hiking.  Looking out from the panorama lounge, the sea was perfectly calm, like a lake.  All around were relatively flat islands ranging from tiny rocks to large with trees and man-made structures on them.

They did have American bacon in La Terrazza this morning, but it was not a good quality, mostly fat and cut very thin.  I stuck with berries and the not great yogurt, which was oddly enough frozen on the bottom, which would explain the strange texture.

Just as it was our turn to board the zodiac, a huge dark black cloud settled itself directly over the ship, and it began pouring rain.  We went ahead and got in the zodiac.  There was lightening visible in the distance, which made me a bit worried, but then as soon as it had appeared,it cleared and the rain stopped. It was still cold and wet riding to the shore.

We entered the little harbor with a good concrete and wood dock.  Soon we were on our hike with our guide, a lady who is one of the 8 year round residents of the island.  She spoke good English and was very informative.  She also walked fast.  We covered the entire northern portion of the island, going past a lot of old military stuff, past some cows, through beautiful deciduous and evergreen forests and along the coast.  The paths were a mixture of pavement, cobblestone, gravel and soft dirt, but all flat and easy.

We returned to the village where a lunch of Finnish tapas and salmon and potato soup (different recipe that yesterday’s) was waiting. It was very good and followed by rhubarb crumble.

In the afternoon, you could do your own thing, hiking or biking or just relaxing.  They had a little kiosk set up where you could sample and buy local jams, jelly, crackers, etc.  lots of free samples, and they didn’t seem to care if you purchased or not.  We did buy some jam.  They also had the sauna open, and the people who did that reported it was great.

We walked some more and saw more swans than I have ever seen at one time in my life.  Then we went back to the dock to go back to the ship.  The locals were there with cinnamon rolls and coffee for us.

The sea going back to the ship was the calmest I have ever been on in a zodiac.  Dead calm.  A swan took off flying from the water and flew low right over our heads.  THe ship videographer was in the zodiac behind ours and says he got it recorded and that it is awesome.  I can’t wait to see it.

Back on board we had a win at trivia, only missing three questions.  How many Olympic gold medals did Michael Phelps win?  We were really close at  20.  Who is the highest paid Hollywood actor?  Would have never gotten it in a million years. Who scored the most goals in a FIFA world cup match?  No clue, and even when he said the answer, I had not clue.

Dinner was at La Dame.  We have had mixed reviews in that venue, but we’re willing to give a 2nd, or 3rd, chance.  Service was great.  I had the lobster salad followed by the mushroom soup, and both were excellent.  I had Dover sole as my main.  It was really good, but the hugest piece of Dover sole I have ever seen.  It would feed me plus 3 hungry cats.  I did my best though.  George had seared fois Gras which he pronounced perfect, the quinoa salad (good but why would he order something so healthy) and the lobster which he said was good but not great.

He had the pistachio soufflé for dessert which he said was great.  I had the berry dish, outstanding as usual.

Back to our room there was again an overwhelming cigarette smoke smell.  I had spoken to reception earlier, and they told me they had figured out where it was coming from and resolved it.  I called again.  Someone came down and sniffed and confirmed my issues.  They are on the case.  But we will be moved if need be.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, RachelG said:

June 6, 2023–Oro Island, Finland

We slept well with smooth seas until about 4:30 am when we were awakened by a combination of sunlight shining around the curtains even though we had both the curtains on the windows and the curtains between the sitting area and bedroom drawn and the distinct strong smell of cigarette smoke which lasted about 30 minutes.  I think we would have slept through the light, but no way with the smoke.  I haven’t encountered this on a ship in probably at least 15 years.  The other night we also smelled cigarette smoke in the main dining room at dinner.  We mentioned it to our waiter who just shrugged.  Anyway, the front desk has been notified this time, and they are investigating.

George went back to sleep, but I was thoroughly awake so got dressed and went up to the panorama lounge to drink tea and do some work.

Today we were at Oro Island which is located off the southwest tip of Finland.  This is a very militarily strategic area which the Russians first used to protect the entrance to the gulf of Finland from the Baltic Sea and thus protect St. Petersburg.  It was a military base for the Finnish Army until just recently and still has the capability of being reactivated as such should the need arise, but now is a habitat for all sorts of birds and butterflies.

There were multiple choices as far as activities.  You could do a nature walk, a bird walk, a bike tour, or a longer hike, all guided, or you could just explore on your own.  We chose the hike.  It was another lovely sunny day, with temperatures again around 50F but not much wind, perfect for hiking.  Looking out from the panorama lounge, the sea was perfectly calm, like a lake.  All around were relatively flat islands ranging from tiny rocks to large with trees and man-made structures on them.

They did have American bacon in La Terrazza this morning, but it was not a good quality, mostly fat and cut very thin.  I stuck with berries and the not great yogurt, which was oddly enough frozen on the bottom, which would explain the strange texture.

Just as it was our turn to board the zodiac, a huge dark black cloud settled itself directly over the ship, and it began pouring rain.  We went ahead and got in the zodiac.  There was lightening visible in the distance, which made me a bit worried, but then as soon as it had appeared,it cleared and the rain stopped. It was still cold and wet riding to the shore.

We entered the little harbor with a good concrete and wood dock.  Soon we were on our hike with our guide, a lady who is one of the 8 year round residents of the island.  She spoke good English and was very informative.  She also walked fast.  We covered the entire northern portion of the island, going past a lot of old military stuff, past some cows, through beautiful deciduous and evergreen forests and along the coast.  The paths were a mixture of pavement, cobblestone, gravel and soft dirt, but all flat and easy.

We returned to the village where a lunch of Finnish tapas and salmon and potato soup (different recipe that yesterday’s) was waiting. It was very good and followed by rhubarb crumble.

In the afternoon, you could do your own thing, hiking or biking or just relaxing.  They had a little kiosk set up where you could sample and buy local jams, jelly, crackers, etc.  lots of free samples, and they didn’t seem to care if you purchased or not.  We did buy some jam.  They also had the sauna open, and the people who did that reported it was great.

We walked some more and saw more swans than I have ever seen at one time in my life.  Then we went back to the dock to go back to the ship.  The locals were there with cinnamon rolls and coffee for us.

The sea going back to the ship was the calmest I have ever been on in a zodiac.  Dead calm.  A swan took off flying from the water and flew low right over our heads.  THe ship videographer was in the zodiac behind ours and says he got it recorded and that it is awesome.  I can’t wait to see it.

Back on board we had a win at trivia, only missing three questions.  How many Olympic gold medals did Michael Phelps win?  We were really close at  20.  Who is the highest paid Hollywood actor?  Would have never gotten it in a million years. Who scored the most goals in a FIFA world cup match?  No clue, and even when he said the answer, I had not clue.

Dinner was at La Dame.  We have had mixed reviews in that venue, but we’re willing to give a 2nd, or 3rd, chance.  Service was great.  I had the lobster salad followed by the mushroom soup, and both were excellent.  I had Dover sole as my main.  It was really good, but the hugest piece of Dover sole I have ever seen.  It would feed me plus 3 hungry cats.  I did my best though.  George had seared fois Gras which he pronounced perfect, the quinoa salad (good but why would he order something so healthy) and the lobster which he said was good but not great.

He had the pistachio soufflé for dessert which he said was great.  I had the berry dish, outstanding as usual.

Back to our room there was again an overwhelming cigarette smoke smell.  I had spoken to reception earlier, and they told me they had figured out where it was coming from and resolved it.  I called again.  Someone came down and sniffed and confirmed my issues.  They are on the case.  But we will be moved if need be.

Did they let George into La Dame with jeans on?

Örö Island, conclusion. 

We had wandered off the main track, following the blue markers. After a detour through a cow pasture we were guided to yet another rocky beach. 

20230606_135738.thumb.jpg.e4d19b1e5cb164daad076d879829fc94.jpg

And a double set of bunkers.

20230606_135837.thumb.jpg.2186d7ce7010cb845064ae73e5f5e168.jpg

Back inland. The southern part of the island is narrow and the trail zigged and zagged between both coasts. We found ourselves at yet another gun installation. This one had its own barracks.

20230606_140548.thumb.jpg.1d198c7c36f35ab6d53a78eb60824f56.jpg

There was a little exhibit inside. We zipped through. And pushed onward to the southernmost point. 

Google had marked a "suspension bridge" here but we saw nothing of the sort. Well that was a waste of time! 

And an uphill climb too! There were more bunkers to explore.

20230606_142618.thumb.jpg.e72f317e321767c2b93b84c130a01180.jpg

We wandered among them and saw more blue markers... And this. Is that a bridge? 

20230606_142104.thumb.jpg.66286e421e8d72bc66472a34c9e2270a.jpg

We found it! The way seemed blocked off at first but we followed the blue markers and we crossed that bridge when we got to it.

20230606_142214.thumb.jpg.9ec30aac8d5b6993aec3476c1f5a4cfd.jpg

The weather kept improving too. Lots of sun, and beautiful temperatures. Layers were shed.

20230606_142714.thumb.jpg.28fda1200651f1acb4e316f353cc7e79.jpg

Now we had to get back to the marina. We had a long walk ahead of us. So we took the blue trail to the main road and made haste.

Tall trees, flat topography, and a straight path ahead of us. If only we hadn't worn ourselves out with getting here.

20230606_143809.thumb.jpg.91c6a6799dcbbda5bc40c354fec38e1c.jpg

We dragged ourselves to the dock just after 15:00. Coffee and cinnamon rolls for our efforts, as Rachel posted previously. That was a welcome treat!

Zodiac back to the ship about 15:20. A swan and cygnets made an appearance.

20230606_152712.thumb.jpg.f5cbbb884458070452a4f547b41d708c.jpg

The weather for the ride back was gorgeous. Smooth sailing! Flat seas.

20230606_153223.thumb.jpg.ad91abbbe9bf649dcc0b231a91fb5ed9.jpg

20230606_153345.thumb.jpg.22d7ee1d8fecf2ab1111e27059d1f20f.jpg

As we approached Silver Wind, a military helicopter buzzed the ship. 

20230606_153513.thumb.jpg.da7363772c67ce560b9fabeab138cec6.jpg

Back on board in time for a shower and change before trivia. We did very well! Then we had plenty of time to relax before briefing and dinner. 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 9

Evening aboard!

We went to the briefing at 18:15. An amusing talk about Finnish mythological creatures. None that we've met so far, but the voyage is still young. 

We made a quick exit from the briefing and were first at the MDR. So we scored a prime table for two at the window. 

We'd previewed the menu online and didn't need to go further than the daily specials. 

Screenshot_20230606_173348_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fa8196838084a4b8a20893426e6ff9a8.jpg

The wines were a South African Semillon Blanc and a Chilean Carmeñere. Odd choices for a French menu. 

Paul was our waiter tonight and offered some sweet wine with the foie gras. Nicely done! 

20230606_191618.thumb.jpg.4c3f1c7899811039598de53ab15c8e60.jpg

The soup was tasty too. Fichyssoisse?

20230606_192945.thumb.jpg.9c53a7feefe91a2fe6744b86aacd5fb7.jpg

I thought that the Carmeñere was a bit light bodied for the veal dish (which was delicious). Chris said I was being too picky and the match was just fine. I gave it 8/10.

20230606_194448.thumb.jpg.17778e76d15e715d72b9e038cd86c25f.jpg

And the tarte. The cinnamon ice cream was really good. And the dessert went well with the rest of my red wine. (Because it was a light red)

20230606_201010.thumb.jpg.249b0ed51126aaaee17d3ece71372e4b.jpg

No late night for us. We have an 8:15 tour departure tomorrow in Rauma. Fortunately we are docking so we can wake up at 8AM or so...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hezu said:

Former "soldier's home", perhaps a mess would be an ok translation in English. A place where off duty soldiers can socilize and have something to eat (fresh doughnuts are traditionally top sellers in these). I think currently there is no activity in that building.

And Örö certainly has lots of signs of its military history, starting from the days when Grand Duchy of Finland was part of the Russian empire. I think one of the most fashinating signs of this history is that the main roads bear names Pitkä ikävä and Lyhyt ikävä, which translate as Long misery and Short misery, which you might understand if you have to walk (or march) these pebble stone roads for longer periods of time...

Thanks so much for the information about this building! We are really enjoying this trip, and learning a lot about the history here.

Our guide also mentioned the "misery" roads. We walked along the side, on the smooth parts. 😀 Those cobblestones were rough. We have more than 20,000 steps today.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I’m not really sure Jazz as without wishing to be offensive I always believed that American bacon was just a picture printed onto A4 paper and blowtorched. The offcuts of back bacon are sold as belly pork. My local butcher cures the loins with salt and a little sugar. Most supermarket rubbish is cured in brine and halves in size as soon as it hits the pan when it ejaculates the brine. We have a few different cuts of bacon here but the main ones are:-  back bacon, that is the oyster of the loin with around 2” of the streaky belly. Middle bacon is the oyster and around 8 inches of the belly curled around. Streaky is purely the layered belly with no oyster and is closest to American bacon. I’ve been traumatised by many types of Bacon around the world before now. Only slightly ahead of American bacon in the worlds worst charts is Spanish bacon. I Suspect that might be made from the losing team of a bullfight that’s been left to dry out in the sun whilst they all go home for an afternoon sleep. 

Ohh...I didnt know there are so many types bacon!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Evening aboard!

We went to the briefing at 18:15. An amusing talk about Finnish mythological creatures. None that we've met so far, but the voyage is still young. 

We made a quick exit from the briefing and were first at the MDR. So we scored a prime table for two at the window. 

We'd previewed the menu online and didn't need to go further than the daily specials. 

Screenshot_20230606_173348_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fa8196838084a4b8a20893426e6ff9a8.jpg

The wines were a South African Semillon Blanc and a Chilean Carmeñere. Odd choices for a French menu. 

Paul was our waiter tonight and offered some sweet wine with the foie gras. Nicely done! 

20230606_191618.thumb.jpg.4c3f1c7899811039598de53ab15c8e60.jpg

The soup was tasty too. Fichyssoisse?

20230606_192945.thumb.jpg.9c53a7feefe91a2fe6744b86aacd5fb7.jpg

I thought that the Carmeñere was a bit light bodied for the veal dish (which was delicious). Chris said I was being too picky and the match was just fine. I gave it 8/10.

20230606_194448.thumb.jpg.17778e76d15e715d72b9e038cd86c25f.jpg

And the tarte. The cinnamon ice cream was really good. And the dessert went well with the rest of my red wine. (Because it was a light red)

20230606_201010.thumb.jpg.249b0ed51126aaaee17d3ece71372e4b.jpg

No late night for us. We have an 8:15 tour departure tomorrow in Rauma. Fortunately we are docking so we can wake up at 8AM or so...

I agree JP

Odd wine choices.

Not for me. 

We're you offered anything else?

15 minutes ago, Lirio said:

Braziliam bacon available in every grocerie store. Is it american, english oy turkey type?bacon.thumb.jpeg.1db34ad683164dc3ea76fe7a7ed3dd7d.jpeg

I've a cat who takes on the demeanour of a crack addict whenever she smells bacon cooking but I don't think even she would eat that. Sorry Lirio but that's not identifiable as any bacon I've ever seen. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nice to see the island we were five days ago. Your weather conditions are much more comfortable. We had no sun , heavy winds and 8 degrees Celsius. The long ride back on the Zodiac was horrible.

But the salmon soup was extremely delicious and even way better than the one on Ulko. Enjoy the cruise, we love to see the pictures of the places we have already seen. And believe me the best is yet to come..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Somehow whenever JP is involved, the thread turns to food...  😉

He knows what the crowd wants and panders well.  He’d make the perfect politician, but alas seems to enjoy medicine.

10 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Light breakfast, no lunch, good dinner and only alcohol with dinner.

Same as at home 

Poor chap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Did they let George into La Dame with jeans on?

Yes.  I had a rather spectacular outfit of black satin slacks with feathers at the bottom and a sparkly silver jacket, so maybe the Maitre’d was blinded.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 7