AARP Rewards eGift Cards

Uncle Sugar

3 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I have apparently "missed something".  People are talking about a "$5 discount".  Is this something in addition to the discount received from AARP?  How does this relate to AARP gift cards?

It's through Capital One shopping if you have a Capital One credit card.

3 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

I just bought my 5 cards.  I told my sister about it, and she wants to buy 5 cards also.  I told her she needs to register with AARP with her email address, which she said is fine.  She doesn't want to use her credit card.  For her purchase, can she use my credit card that I just used for my purchase?  She will use her own email address (different from mine).  Thank you.

Yes, it will be you purchasing them with your credit card and her email address.

So, make sure she forwards the confirmations to you, in case they are lost.  

We both have registered email addresses with Aarp and can each buy our 5 limit each month, using the same CC.

3 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

It's through Capital One shopping if you have a Capital One credit card.

You do not need to have a Capital One credit card, any credit card is fine.  You just need to register for Capital Shopping.  They offer a lot of reward savings of hotels.  Recently booked our Yokohama hotel and got 25% rewards of the hotel price.  Very good deals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, it will be you purchasing them with your credit card and her email address.

So, make sure she forwards the confirmations to you, in case they are lost.  

We both have registered email addresses with Aarp and can each buy our 5 limit each month, using the same CC.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, bjkTX said:

He asked when I bought the card - no idea because we bought so many over the last 2 years.  He asked how we paid for it - no idea - we use different credit cards for bonus purposes

Better record keeping next time?  Last time I bought a batch, I entered all the pertinent info in a spreadsheet and kept it until we had sailed.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

I just bought my 5 cards.  I told my sister about it, and she wants to buy 5 cards also.  I told her she needs to register with AARP with her email address, which she said is fine.  She doesn't want to use her credit card.  For her purchase, can she use my credit card that I just used for my purchase?  She will use her own email address (different from mine).  Thank you.

Yes. 

I suspect it is AARP that has changed the discount.   Resellers receive somewhere between 10 and 15% commission on the sale of gift cards, and they might not be making their expected profit on the sales of the cards.  

• Like 2

On 8/2/2023 at 6:38 AM, Hflors said:

I just went on AARP to purchase my five gift cards for the month of August and the price is not $460.00 for the $500 gift card instead of the $450.00.  Still a good deal at 8%, but not as good as a straight 10% off.

Just an FYI

Always best to do a quick review of previous posts. 

45 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Do you know if Carnivals was also raised?

So far, the only card under the Carnival umbrella that has changed is Princess. Carnival and Holland America are still showing 10%.

7 hours ago, 808cruisers said:

The $5 rewards varies and that's the only time I saw it of all the times I had been on the AARP site (maybe 10-20 times).  It's not popping up anymore. 

For me it was a one and done deal. Maybe it will pop up again.

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

For me it was a one and done deal. Maybe it will pop up again.

Too many people bought the cards so they went down to 8%. Keep your mouth shut if you want to keep a perk intact. Next I'm sure they'll go to 5% . Princess was the only card to be diminished, none others were downgraded to 8%

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Too many people bought the cards so they went down to 8%. Keep your mouth shut if you want to keep a perk intact. Next I'm sure they'll go to 5% . Princess was the only card to be diminished, none others were downgraded to 8%

I'm not buying that. Both HAL and Princess have a 5 card limit, but HAL is still a 10% discount. If anything, Carnival sells a zillion more and has a 25 card limit, and they still have a 10% discount.

We'll see if Princess sticks at 8% or if the others migrate to 8%.

It's all marketing anyway. I'm not sure you can downgrade marketing.

33 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I'm not buying that. Both HAL and Princess have a 5 card limit, but HAL is still a 10% discount. If anything, Carnival sells a zillion more and has a 25 card limit, and they still have a 10% discount.

This.

The decrease in discount might also be attributed to you do not have to be a AARP member to buy the Princess gift cards, but I know most of the others (cruise lines)require AARP membership.

I know this is not new, but AARP might feel too many non members are taking advantage.

Edited by wallyj

1 hour ago, wallyj said:

The decrease in discount might also be attributed to you do not have to be a AARP member to buy the Princess gift cards, but I know most of the others (cruise lines)require AARP membership.

I know this is not new, but AARP might feel too many non members are taking advantage.

You do not have to be a member to purchase HAL GCs at AARP Rewards.  And, as noted by previous posters, the HAL GCs maintain the 10% discount.

9 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I've been to the AARP web site & don't see where the Princess Gift Cards are.

Any help appreciated!

Tom

Go to AARP Rewards, click on Discover, click Redeem, click on All Rewards, and then scroll down until you see the Princess gift cards.  You may have to establish an AARP Rewards account and then login to AARP Rewards to do this, I am not sure because I have had an AARP Rewards account for a long time.

12 minutes ago, Calnev1 said:

Go to AARP Rewards, click on Discover, click Redeem, click on All Rewards, and then scroll down until you see the Princess gift cards.  You may have to establish an AARP Rewards account and then login to AARP Rewards to do this, I am not sure because I have had an AARP Rewards account for a long time.

☝️

This. You don't have to be an AARP member. You can just join their Rewards program for free if you like.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wallyj said:

Then turn the Princess cards into members only purchase and leave it at 10% just like Carnival.  This way if anyone wishes to get the Princess cards they need to pony up for a membership.

• Like 3