Live from Viking Saturn June 7-21 NYC-Canada-Greenland-Iceland

CCWineLover

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

CCWineLover was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I thought I would start this thread today so that those of us onboard can relay our experiences.

We board June 7th at the Cruise Terminal near 52nd street on the Hudson River.

The panomax shows a great view

https://viking.panomax.com/saturn/

About the only negative is a smog/bad air alert today in New York.  

Getting excited about this new adventure with a new ship!  This will be our 13th Viking Cruise (12 Oceans) so will be interesting to see how the Saturn compares.  Looking forward to the new Manfredi's menu, possibly new entertainment, hopefully some well stocked wine lists, Russell Lee's amazing lectures, our cruise director Verity Brown, the fantastic staff, and more!

Kent

image.thumb.png.6a0c67991a519cf18070160ab01f3866.png

• Like 12

33 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I thought it looked hazy on the Panomax.  Bon voyage!

Thanks, Lorna!  Getting excited now.

Hopefully we'll get to hear from someone (on the ship?) about how the big VIP Naming Ceremony goes later today.  One benefit (perhaps) for us is that they have over 24 hours to get the cabins ready so maybe we'll get into ours early!

Have a great time.  Thinking of doing Bergen to NYC so will be very interested in your (and others on this cruise) reflections on the itinerary.

• Like 1

Kent - We had Verity on our last Viking cruise and she is TERRIFIC!  .....AND......with Russell Lee and his wife on board, you will have the perfect combo team. Ed and I wish we were with you.

Candy

• Like 2

The bad fires in eastern Canada are a major contributor.  I live in western washington and we sometimes get smoke from Eastern BC and Alberta.  Last year with our own local fires in the state, it was horrible with murky , fog like smoke and particulate that fell like snow.  It smelled like a campground

The eastern seaboard could use a good rain train

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Will be following also as we are taking this itinerary in August 2023, just the reverse. Hoping you have smooth water and you get to all your ports. Thanking you in advance for any updates.

7 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Have a great time Kent. Update us as to the topics of Russell's lectures.

BTW that's smoke in the air from Canadian wild fires. I saw some pictures today of a blood red sun over New Jersey.

Thx Joe.

yes very bad today in NY.  
wonder if they moved the Saturn naming party indoors?  Reminds me of the horrible smoke from the California fires in years passed.  

https://apple.news/AZj1_H7XqTxeDs-1WmHyoLA

Edited by CCWineLover

1 minute ago, Voyager82 said:

My husband and I are also doing this reverse trip in August.  Maybe we will see you on the ship?

We are on the NY-Iceland route

At lunch at World Cafe.  1st look at Wine List.  Sadly, most wines are by the bottle so SSBP does not really get you much.  Nearly every category has 1 wine by the glass and all others have to be purchased by bottle.  Will be drinking Coppola Zin this trip.  Which isn’t bad, but the only USA red available by glass.

IMG_3882.thumb.jpeg.738d0d0729ab1b85593cdb42335b2f81.jpeg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

At lunch at World Cafe.  1st look at Wine List.  Sadly, most wines are by the bottle so SSBP does not really get you much.  Nearly every category has 1 wine by the glass and all others have to be purchased by bottle.  Will be drinking Coppola Zin this trip.  Which isn’t bad, but the only USA red available by glass.

IMG_3882.thumb.jpeg.738d0d0729ab1b85593cdb42335b2f81.jpeg

We drank a lot of the Coppola Zinfandel on our last trip. The wine steward also recommended La Planta from Spain, which we enjoyed.IMG_0754.thumb.jpeg.e4270caffd3b24b85afe385989400d80.jpeg

• Like 1