Ever been on a cruise that was re-diverted to take part in a rescue mission?

DarrenM

Celebrity beyond was called on during our cruise to assist on the tragic sinking of a fishing boat carrying up to 400 people trying to escape Libya.

Sadly only 100 were rescued.

We awoke at around 6am to find our ship static around 60 miles south of Grease on our way to Naples.

It had been called at 2.30am.

We were in a group of ships of varying sizes and types incl 2 container ships, a Greek navy frigate and numerous fishing boats.

And two rescue helicopters.

After witnessing a little of what was happening, and hearing about the devastating losses, it made me realise just how lucky we all are.

We set back off to Naples at around 8am, but for me that day was done.

It was the second last day, sea day, and in many ways ended the cruise for me.

Couldn't get thoughts of those lost just yards from us out of my head.

Edited by DarrenM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No words to describe how awful it feels to read this.  What a devastating accident, those poor desperate families.  An absolutely horrible tragedy and I'm sure you'll carry those mental images for the rest of your life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes, a couple times.  During my USCG days in the Keys, cruise ships diverted frequently to assist us in search and rescue missions, mostly regarding migrants from Cuba.  

A couple weeks ago, Sapphire Princess had to rescue all occupants of a Uncruise ship in Glacier Bay due to an engine room fire.  

• Like 2

Thanks. 

It was very strange. Weird.

Many were completely unaware of what was happening, some even believing a container ship had gone down.

Some of the staff were devastated. 

It was odd. We decided to go for coffee, in the ocean view cafe, and many were enjoying breakfast....blissfully unaware of what was happening just a few hundred yards away.

I felt guilty even having a coffee.

@DarrenM, thank you for sharing your story.

The closest I've come is one cruise where we had a cruiser that needed medical assistance off the ship ASAP.  A medevac was tried, but it didn't happen - too windy where we were.  So we went to plan B - make haste to our final disembarkation port (I think it was Miami or Ft. Lauderdale).

In 2019 Sea Princess performed a rescue in the Caribbean when a small ship was sinking with crew in the water.  It was in the middle of the night with rough seas and the rescue boat did an amazing job to rescue the sailors.

The next morning I heard two passengers complaining that we would be late into Curaçao and their excursions were cancelled.  I guess they thought their excursion was more important than those lives that were saved.

Been on several cruises that diverted from its original course/ports for passenger medical emergencies.....had to alter course to get cruiser to the nearest, safest hospital.

I've yet to be on a cruise that needed to be re-diverted for any reason.

4 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

@DarrenM, thank you for sharing your story.

The closest I've come is one cruise where we had a cruiser that needed medical assistance off the ship ASAP.  A medevac was tried, but it didn't happen - too windy where we were.  So we went to plan B - make haste to our final disembarkation port (I think it was Miami or Ft. Lauderdale).

That's our story too, we were on the Pride out of Tampa on a seven day W. Carribean cruise and in the early morning of our 2nd day at sea the captain made an announcement that we had a medical emergency to the nearest land based medical center (Nassau). Our midship balcony just happen to be on the starboard side, just aft of the gangway. We had a birdseye view, saw the emergency vehicle and the medical team and EMT's standing by. Saw a man walk down the gangway, followed by 2 figures in white ship's medical team (I guess) and a ship's officer (in an officer's whites, saw the shirt boards but couldn't tell his rank. About 15 mins, after the EMTS left, they pulled the gangway up and away we went. Funny thing is, Nassau was going to be our LAST stop before heading home, but of course no docking then, just a tender stop.

Mac

• Thanks 1

I was on a ship en route Durban to Kuwait when we had to divert for a sick crew member.

Took an age before we rv'ed with a Royal Navy ship. Alas too late.

We had to continue to Aden to repatriate the deceased. 

1 hour ago, Gwendy said:

In 2019 Sea Princess performed a rescue in the Caribbean when a small ship was sinking with crew in the water.  It was in the middle of the night with rough seas and the rescue boat did an amazing job to rescue the sailors.

The next morning I heard two passengers complaining that we would be late into Curaçao and their excursions were cancelled.  I guess they thought their excursion was more important than those lives that were saved.

Why doesn't this second paragraph surprise me?  You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid.

• Like 4

Been Master of a number of ships that have been tasked for SAR, for a variety of reasons - jumpers, missing persons, disabled/sinkings.

Since jumpers tend to go over at night, I have spent many hours conducting a grid search, but to no avail. Unfortunately, I have never found/recovered a jumper. Other Masters have had them go over in daylight and had more success.

Recall one night where I was tasked to search for a suspected man-overboard from another vessel. Spent a number of hours setting up and coordinating a grid search, until relieved by the Coast Guard, upon their arrival.

We always advise the pax and keep them updated on progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Ahem, spoiled.

On 6/19/2023 at 2:02 AM, jsn55 said:

Why doesn't this second paragraph surprise me?  You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid.

Another time Sea Princess (again), had to change leisurely scenic cruising to fast forward scenic cruising on a cruise from New Guinea back to North Queensland.

A very ill passenger had to medivaced and we had to go full speed ahead to get the ship in range of the rescue helicopter.  Again brilliant work by the crew assisting with the evacuation.  The helicopter crew had a huge ovation as they left, but again someone asked me if they would get credit because they missed the scenic cruising.  My reply was unprintable.

• Like 3

We were on a cruise some years ago, and I believe this was off the coast of Greece. The ship picked them up, it was only about 8 people I think, no causalities thankfully.

Another time there was a helicopter evacuation, it's amazing how precise all that is.

Edited by SPacificbound
added to content

Back in 2018 we were on a cruise where tragically a woman threw herself overboard on the last day of the cruise. (CCTV footage and witnesses confirmed suicide). Our ship searched the area for around 12 hours but unfortunately there was no sign of the woman.

7 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Back in 2018 we were on a cruise where tragically a woman threw herself overboard on the last day of the cruise. (CCTV footage and witnesses confirmed suicide). Our ship searched the area for around 12 hours but unfortunately there was no sign of the woman.

What some people do not realise is ...

IF the person is unconscious then most of the body is under water. What you are effectively looking for is something the size of a basketball, and if there is any sort of sea running then half the time the head and neck etc will be obscured. 

The Sapphire Princess took aboard passengers from a smaller cruise ship that had a fire a couple weeks ago?  It happened in Glacier Bay.  They may have also taken some crew members, but some crew did remain on the stricken ship.

That is incredibly sad that so many were unable to be rescued. 

We usually don't know when bad things happen on a cruise. I have a co-worker whose mother died their first day at sea. The staff did all they could, but she had a massive heart attack in the cabin and couldn't be saved. Due to paperwork and laws, it was suggested they keep her in the morgue until they made it back to the home port, in the US, so they did. My co-worker said the staff was very caring and went to extremes to help them with phone calls, bringing food to their cabin, etc. Meanwhile, everyone else on board was having a great time and didn't know that 7 other people were grieving. 

One cruise I was on didn't actually do a diversion, per se, but we did come across a big sailboat that had engine trouble. It was at night and an elderly couple was on board. Our port the next day was Martinique. The water was extremely choppy, but the ship sent out a lifeboat/dingy type boat to the sailboat with an engineer and some other crew to try to help them. The ship wasn't able to tow them, and they refused to leave their boat, so we had to leave a crew member with them,  and someone from Martinique came and towed the sailboat. Of course we were late to Martinique, but that was ok. We had to wait a little while past our departure time for the crew member to make it back as well. The Captain said that according to maritime law (I think) that we couldn't leave them without help, so that's why the crew member stayed with them. The water was so rough, it was tossing that little boat from the ship around like a toy, and the crew had a hard time boarding the sailboat, but they got it done!